News / NE Awards 2008

• posix%s's Photo
    With 2008, we've seen another year of great RCT parkmaking here at New Element. To follow our tradition of awarding the best and most impressive contributions of the year the site has seen, we will soon hold the "NE Awards 2008 Ceremony" in retrospect.

geewhzz and i felt the award categories needed a major clean-up. Here are the categories we decided on:

-----------------------

Game PerformancesRide DesignAbilitiesBest IdeaMembers-----------------------

Nomination Count
      RRP
      disneylhand, 5dave
      geewhzz, eyeamthu1
      CedarPoint6, Kumba, Roomie
      egg_head, thorpedo, jusmith, tracidEdge, RCTNW, Loopy
      Highball, zodiac, Turtle, Evil WME, Camcorder22, Xcoaster, Fisch, Milo, Steve Franks, Fr3ak, posix, Levis, DelLagos, Luigi, JJ, Bacchus, robbie92, prodigy, Tolsimir, aero21, Steve, Mike Robbins
    -----------------------

In this topic we are open to nominations for the above categories or suggestions for new awards.

For new categories it must be unique and not conflict with anything above and be able to fulfill at least 5 nominations within the award.

Since most RCTLL parks we came across this year were designs, we decided to split up 'Best Design' into 'Best RCTLL Design' and 'Best RCT2 Design'.

-----------------------

We will allow this topic to run until we are satisfied with nominations and the award categories and will then allow member voting for a pre-determined time.

The Ceremony will most likely be held at the start of February on a Sunday sometime between 12:00PM EST and 3:00PM EST (5pm - 8pm GMT+0). It will be held on IRC @ irc.gamesurge.net in channel #newelement

We have created a convenient way of accessing the awards here: http://forums.nedesi...?autocom=nechat

Please test it out and give us your feedback.
  • Steve%s's Photo
    I think some "Community Awards" would be a welcome addition for those who don't play as much (or not at all) to give others a chance at a nomination. I don't know exactly what each nomination could be for though. Other than that I see nothing wrong with what we already have there, since I really can't think of much else to add.
  • Fisch%s's Photo
    I would like to see the best non ne parkmaker award again. There is a best newcomer award but what about those who've been here for longer and who are no parkmakers. I think there should be an award for that, too.
  • robbie92%s's Photo
    Yeah, the amount of awards last year was crazy, but in a good way. Although I think the new structuring is nice and concise, I kind of agree with Steve and Fisch.

On the other note, glad to be nominated! :biggrin:

EDIT: I liked the biggest asshole award, but its pretty easy to tell who might win...

Edited by robbie92, 15 January 2009 - 08:27 PM.

• Camcorder22%s's Photo
    woo I got nominated...although that overview looks pretty bad now that I look at it again. Were the nominations already up there done by the Accolade Panel?
  • geewhzz%s's Photo
    ^Would like to hear your suggestions for changes, afterall, that's why this topic is open.
  • Camcorder22%s's Photo
    No, I meant I didn't like the overview of my park when I clicked the link haha. But I would say dividing best player into best parkmaker and best non-parkmaker as others have said, as it would be a way for some of the most talented non-parkmakers to maybe get a parkmaker spot. Most improved might be a good one as well.
  • Gwazi%s's Photo
    all these awards are excellent and no offense, but they kind of take the fun out of the award ceremonies. while its nice to do stuff that pertains to the game, some of the more fun awards (ex. asshole of the year award) that don't really pertain to the game but the forums or that pertain to the game in a different manner (ex. sleeper of the year or most improved parkmaker) should be added in my opinion.

now i'm not saying you should go apeshit and make the focus on these random awards, but i think that you should add in some more to give a nice balance between the truly competetive and meaningful awards and the smaller, more "just for fun" awards.

if you would like me to give some more ideas on specific awards, i could do that. if not, i'll still be excited for this year's awards, regardless.
  • Kumba%s's Photo
    I made a few nominations I marked with a + sign. Also I would like the asshole of the year award this year since I should win hands down for all the crazy stuff I did when I was on some fucked up medication it turns out I never needed :rolleyes:

Game Performances

* Best Park
    o Silver Valley Theme Park by Loopy
    o Disney Sea by Highball
    o Marriot's Marine World by RCTNW
    o Canthose Valley Theme Park by 5dave
    o Magic Realms Resort by eyeamthu1
    * Best RCTLL Design
    o Jurassic Park - Rampage by Roomie
    o Annapurna by tracidEdge
    o Synopsis by zodiac
    o Monsoon by jusmith
    o Crucifiction by thorpedo
    * Best RCT2 Design
    o El Encierro by geewhzz & disneylhand
    o Castle Howard by RRP
    o valhalla by RRP
    o Bayon Falls by 5dave
    o Firefly by CedarPoint6
    o Starflight by Turtle
    * Best Micro
    o Tobayara Jungle by Evil WME
    o Thrill Zone by CedarPoint6
    o The Rosetta Sphere by Kumba
    o Dulce New Mexico by Camcorder22
    o Seibemshiring Hydrogen Mining by Xcoaster
    + The Lonely Mountain by Levis
    + Lift-Off by 5Dave

Ride Design

* Best Steel Coaster
    o Montezuma from Magic Realms Resort by eyeamthu1
    o El Encierro from El Encierro by geewhzz & disneylhand
    o Firefly from Firefly by CedarPoint6
    o Rampage from Jurassic Park - Rampage by Roomie
    + Thrasher in MMW by RCTNW & Kumba
    + That white B&M invert in dlh's PT3
    * Best Wooden Coaster
    o Merlin from Castle Howard by RRP
    o The Gaelic Giant from Gaelic Meadow by Kumba
    o Mordred from Mordred by Fisch
    o Commanche from Silver Valley Theme Park by Loopy & Milo
    o Proteus from Marriott's Marine World by Steve Franks
    + The one in dlh's PT3
    * Best Water Ride
    o valhalla by RRP
    o Roca de Gibraltar from El Encierro by geewhzz & disneylhand
    o Devil's Mill Falls Flume from Busch Gardens North America by disneylhand
    o Lost Phantom Falls from Magic Realms Resort by eyeamthu1
    + 5Dave's Rapids in Canthose

Abilities

* Best Logo
    o Gaelic Meadow by egg_head
    o Charybdis by Fr3ak
    o Starflight by 5dave
    o Busch Gardens North America by hpg
    o DisneySea by posix
    Best Hack
    o Roca de Gibraltar from El Encierro by geewhzz
    o Monsoon Falls from Marriott's Marine World by Levis
    o Montezuma from Magic Realms Resort by eyeamthu1
    + The Lonely Mountain by Levis
    + The Rosetta Sphere's Sphere :p

Members

* Best Player
    o 5dave
    o disneylhand
    o RRP
    o Kumba
    + Loopy
    + eyeamthu1
    + RCTNW

* Best Newcomer
    o Bacchus
    o robbie92
    o prodigy
    o eyeamthu1
    o Tolsimir
    o jusmith
    + DelLagos
  • Xcoaster%s's Photo
    Thanks for the nomination, as I'd nearly forgotten the name of that micro.
  • RCTMASTA%s's Photo
    Ehem...
    My Nominations are:
    Best Park:
    Magic Realms Resort by eyeamthu1
    Best RCTLL Design:
    Jurrassic Park - Rampage by Roomie
    Best RCT2 Design:
    Starflight by Turtle
    Best Micro:
    Dulce, NM by Camcorder22
    Best Steel Coaster:
    Montezuma from Magic Realms Resort by eyeamthu1
    Best Wooden Coaster:
    Merlin from Castle Howard by RRP
    Best Water Ride:
    Lost Phantom Falls from Magic Realms Resort by eyeamthu1
    Best Logo:
    Starflight by Turtle (Not 5dave!)
    Best Hack:
    The tan steel coaster in Alpelynia (Xtreme I think?)
    Best Player:
    5dave
    And finally...
    Best Newcomer:
    eyeamthu1 (Hands down!)
  • Magnus%s's Photo
    Best Logo:
    Bayon Falls by 5dave

Imo a lot better than Starflight.
  • 5dave%s's Photo
    ^I agree ;)

Also I think that most Micros (like the ones Kumba mentioned - Lonely Mountain and Lift-off) were 2007. Also Lift-off was nominated last year already. lol

Oh and I thought the Beatles Micro was better than Seibemshiring Hydrogen Mining.

"MFG"
  • posix%s's Photo
    well, we tried to take only micros from the finals or semi-finals of micro madness so they would be early 2008. could be that we have one nominated already that is 2007, however. if someone can confirm, that would be helpful.

i can see the lack of "community awards". i'm just not sure if you really need an "asshole award". i think it's silly. something like "best posts" or so could work. but you want these categories to be witted. so if some of you could help by suggesting some really creative awards that have nothing to do with gaming skills it would help.

about best logo; how does everyone feel about double-nominations? obviously 5dave could be nominated multiple times since he has done a bunch of great looking logos. it will of course increase his chance of winning. do you think that's fair or should you only be able to be nominated once per category? i'm not really sure myself, but i don't remember any award ceremony i watched on tv where someone got himself more than one nomination for the same award so i tend for latter solution.

dave, in any case, i take it you would like to see starflight exchanged with bayon falls?

to everyone else, thanks for suggesting. geewhzz and i will update whenever we meet online and can discuss everything. might be an idea to do that in the irc chat. so everyone could join.
  • Fr3ak%s's Photo
    My name's not listed in any of the important categories :p
  • FullMetal%s's Photo
    I can't think of anything that hasn't been nominated for any category already, so I'll just suggest some new categories. Namely, Most Improved, and Member of the Year. For the former I would nominate myself :p, zburns, and Zodiac. For the latter I would nominate posix, and CP6 (he always tries to answer my questions, so I think he deserves some sort of recognition).

Also, I think awards like Post of the Year, Asshole of the Year, etc. should be like the Instant Awards from last year's ceremony. Or maybe something similar. It adds a bit of fun to the ceremony, I think.
  • 5dave%s's Photo
    @Posix: I think it's fair that I'm only nominated twice.
    And I think you can keep the Starflight logo, as it appealed more than the Bayon Falls one I think.

And I also don't like the asshole award that much. Sure it's fun, lol but it's not that necessary.

"MFG"
  • ][ntamin22%s's Photo
    We're voting for best logo, not best logo maker. If all five of the nominations should happen to be member x's - so what, they're still the best 5 logos.
  • Midnight Aurora%s's Photo
    No asshole award? I was pushing hard for it this year.
  • Cocoa%s's Photo
    Next year I'll get on here...

que evil laugh

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading