H2H5 / [H2H5] Round Robin | Round 1 | Match 2

This topic hosts comments for 2 parks(View Parks)

Which park is better?

1. Land of Wonders - Whzz Kids 29 votes [72.50%]
    Percentage of vote: 72.50%
  2. Vampyre - Flying Germans 11 votes [27.50%]
    Percentage of vote: 27.50%
  • Turtle%s's Photo
    I could finish that in a day. I did most of Kukuana last year in about 6 hours.

Really high standard here again, i'm really enjoying this competition. First, Vampyre.

Well, it's a real pity this is unfinished. That said, still one of the best coasters i've seen for a long time. Such an ominous atmosphere, I would love to ride it. Loved the little interactions with scenery, like flying though the wall and the half loop around the lift was excellent. Even without full theming, this almost grabbed it for me by itself. So many beautiful little scenery touches as well, the outer wall was fantastic, and the foliage was spot on. I actually took five minutes deconstructing it to work out everything you used here.

Land of Wonders, despite being named horribly, is actually a really good little park. To be honest from reading the thread I expected much worse, and there are some really cool touches all around this thing. I'm a sucker for things used in new ways, and this didn't disappoint, so much to look at. The coasters were good, but none held my attention like Inverted Rollercoaster 1. I just felt they all lacked identity, almost too much happening. But the plethora of things to look at and the lively atmosphere was more than enough to give it my vote.
  • Louis!%s's Photo
    I cant vote but i'll give my opinion.

I personally thought that the Whzz Kids' park was just plain boring. It had no charm, no atmosphere and was just completely lack luster. The only thing that made the park good was the Rocket's layout, the first half of the yellow coaster & the fact you made a Mack LSM.
    The architecture was only good in one place, the building with the Rocket on top and the Apline style building next to it. The rest of the architecture was bland and boring. The entrance didnt even feel like an entrance. The log flume looked entirely awkward as did the woodie's layout. The Mack LSM's layout could have been better by making it a bit longer but it was nice that you made one.

I'd say that if our team could have finished, which I believe we would have done, then our park could have won, however due to the circumstances that were beyond our control I would have to vote for Whzz Kids, purely because they're park is finished and ours isnt.

Thanks to Posix for sorting it out for us and thanks to Whzz Kids for letting us play the park, it shows that you are good sports.
  • 5dave%s's Photo
    Voted.

Vampyre:
    Wow, just wow. I loved that one. A similar idea (a castle/haunted invert) is going through my mind for quite some time and it seems you really nailed the theme. I loved the whole atmosphere. The castle was perfect, it looked like a recreation. The foliage in front of the gate was really lovely. The layout of the coaster was perfect. Nice speed and element placing. The interaction with the castle, the walls and the bridge was also really impressive. There's only one thing I didn't like about this park - its unfinishedness. PLEASE finish that one up!

Land of Wonders:
    Yup, the naming is bad - but I really liked that one. Things I liked most were the coasters. The woodie was really cool, it had a nice speed throughout and a cool layout. The Mack launched was also really cool. That's the first of its kind in RCT to date, and it's done that good - kudos to that. I also loved the first half of the schwarzkopf looper. Pity it was over after the MCBR. And I absolutely adore that little rocket coaster. It interacted with everything and I liked the whole setting of it, although the rocket theme itself didn't actually fit into the park IMO (which was more nordic, right?). The archy was also really nice in that park and I think I know the two builders :D... The only thing I didn't like was the log flume. I don't like logflumes "put over" things. It looks like it was placed just to be there. A darkride or a proper area for the flume would have been much cooler in this park.

Great work, guys!

"MFG"
  • Loopy%s's Photo
    Yet another tough decision even with the unfinishedness of Vampyre.

Land of Wonders - This was a really impressive little park with a large amount of coasters to choose from. Everything looked really good and the peeps added to the experience and helped bring it to life. I wasn't too keen on the woodie but Thor and the Rocket coaster were really cool and fun to watch. The only issue I had was that it seemed a little disjointed and it was pretty hard to tell the difference between the areas as everything was pretty similar. I really liked the Rockets station as well.

Vampyre - Even though this was unfinished this was such an impressive little park. I really hope that you go back and finish it up again even after the hard drive failure because it could be even more amazing when its finished. I really did feel like I was there looking over this park. The theme was carried out so well, it just oozed atmosphere. I think it was pretty obvious who built this one. The coaster itself was brilliant and the way it interacted with all the tunnels bridges and castle walls was stunning. The architecture was absolutely fantastic throughout.

My vote went to the Flying Germans. Even in its unfinished state, this park really impressed me. I hope that you can get it finished again sometime because I think the finished version will be even more amazing.

Well done to both teams.
  • Ride6%s's Photo
    I feel like the reason I went with Vampyre really is that, even in it's incomplete state, it's more memorable somehow. Land Of Wonders is very "nice" but there's not really much substance... Nothing that sticks out as particularly noteworthy. Which really kills a park for me...

Ride6
  • CheeVa%s's Photo
    I really liked both parks, but for example the first part in LoW wasn't that nice to me.
    I loved the ideas in Vampyre, even if it's unfinished, I liked this Park more...

Greets CheeVa

Edited by CheeVa, 21 April 2009 - 09:40 AM.

• zburns999%s's Photo
    Okay, sorry to be a dick here, but I don't see how Vampyre warrants any votes at all. I mean no disrespect to the makers of this park, because what was there was really very nice. I have no doubts that your park would have been as good as or better than ours had it been complete. However, that's just it. It wasn't complete. I feel like most people who have said Vampyre was better are doing so under the assumption that it would have been great as a finished park/design. That would have been like someone voting for Snowdrift last H2H because they thought it would be great eventually. Sure, it did end up being great, but so what? It wasn't great when it was released for voting and that's what matters.

And believe me, I opened up Vampyre after seeing how many votes it had expecting that it must be pretty fucking epic, even in its incomplete state. It was not. It's nice, as I said, but that's all. The architecture is very refined and fitting to the theme, but it just seems to repeat itself over and over. The gazebo thing, as well as the custom paths, the foliage (what there was of it), and the little signs on the buildings were nice as well--but that's really it. The coaster looked sick from the overview, but I thought the pacing was a bit off in game. I did love the all black color scheme. I thought that was cool. Other than that, there was nothing else on the map to hold my attention for any amount of time. What's all this "I loved the ideas in Vampyre." What ideas? The ideas of some architecture and an incomplete castle/roller coaster? I just don't get how this can get votes over a well-executed, peep-friendly park with several good roller coasters and rides.

Seriously, though. I'm not saying "vote for our park because it's so damn great!" No, I don't think it's the best park ever. But is it better than a 30% completed map with some architecture, foliage, a fairly nice roller coaster, and no peeps? Yes. I do think it is.

Part of me is pissed now, because I voted to let the Germans enter their park, even though it was unfinished and not submitted by the dead-line, just for the sake of competition and to be a good sport. Our team worked too hard on this thing to get it done before the dead-line to see it win by forfeit. But apparently that was a stupid fucking choice on my part, to think that people would actually vote for the more deserving park, rather than something that was nice, yet immensely incomplete and without any real redeeming value at the moment.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm being a poor sport here. We're winning the round (as of now at least), but I didn't expect things to be going how they are going so far. My apologies if I'm coming off as offensive. That's not my intention. I understand that people are entitled to their own opinions, but to me, this just makes no sense.
  • geewhzz%s's Photo
    And from these types of posts, we reach 150 replies to the thread. Are you ready? Hang on!
  • Magnus%s's Photo
    I really wonder what is going on here.

Yes this park was submitted late, yet no work was done on it after the deadline. One reason for the late submission was the fact that one player was having hardware problems.
    The other reason were obscurities concerning the rule, in which case a player counts as being used in round robin.
    Yes we could have submitted the unfinished version earlier, but then again the whole situation of a player not being able to come online the day of the deadline is somewhat exceptional and nothing about it is ordered by the rules.

All in all I do not see the Flying Germans getting an unfair advantage out of this situation. It is not like we had been working on the park for two days after the deadline and then submitted it.

Also I wonder if we need a rule about team members being not allowed to reply to the voting thread. Looking at the other round 1 thread and looking at some comments here I think some people have not understood the concept of freedom of opinion.

Magnus
  • zburns999%s's Photo
    ^It was not a question of whether or not your team was getting an unfair advantage. It was the fact that by deffinition, Vampyre could just as well have been a forfeit had we decided to go with that option. We didn't, and I think I might regret that now.
  • Magnus%s's Photo
    Here is a word you might want to add to your personal dictionary:
    Sportsmanship

(Sorry for the sarcasm, but I am somewhat loosing motivation for this contest seeing how far people are going only for winning.)
  • zburns999%s's Photo
    What the fuck? I voted to let you guys compete against us. How is that not sportsmanship? Would you rather be getting no votes right now?
  • Steve%s's Photo
    All right, so I probably missed this or something but I am pretty positive I'm doing things right about this vote code thing but it is not working.

Is there a secret to it or what? ha.
  • Casimir%s's Photo
    Posted Image

I voted for Lands of Wonder. I liked it, though it seemed rather blank in some areas (facades).
  • RRP%s's Photo

Part of me is pissed now, because I voted to let the Germans enter their park, even though it was unfinished and not submitted by the dead-line, just for the sake of competition and to be a good sport. Our team worked too hard on this thing to get it done before the dead-line to see it win by forfeit. But apparently that was a stupid fucking choice on my part, to think that people would actually vote for the more deserving park, rather than something that was nice, yet immensely incomplete and without any real redeeming value at the moment.

So you let the park compete but under your terms it deserves no votes no matter what people think?If you didnt want it to get any votes why did you let it compete?
  • Louis!%s's Photo
    Also the way you said "Our team worked too hard on this thing to get it done before the dead-line" makes me think that you were implying our team didnt work hard. Because we fucking did.
  • Steve%s's Photo
    Lands of Wonder is still a great park, but I still think it's outmatched by Vampyre. Even unfinished, it has some of the best ideas I have ever seen and even some older ideas pulled off better than I thought possible. The paths outside the walls, the attention to details around the walls, the foliage, the composition of it all, everything really. I personally loved the coaster and how it interacted with everything it passed. I think people need to stop ruling a park over another just because it's unfinished. Vote for what you think is better. I'm not saying Lands of Wonder is awful, but it IS pretty much a standard run of the mill park with things I have seen before done well, versus Vampyre, which has some new things pulled off amazingly and older ideas pulled off just as well if not improved upon. I think it is definitely a close call and you could easily argue who should win but it was clear for me.
  • zburns999%s's Photo
    Alright, whatever. Apparently I'm alone in my opinion so I'm not going to try to escalate things further. Louis!, you've got me totally wrong here. The last thing I'm trying to do is say anything bad about your park or team. Shit happens. It's too bad you guys encountered problems, and I have no doubts that all of your builders were working very hard, and were really dissappointed when things went wrong. But understand this from our perspective. You guys finish your park up (hypothetically), and are happy with it because you put in a lot of work before the deadline. Posix then tells your team that we had to forfeit because of computer troubles, and it your choice to accept the forfeit or let a recovered file be used for our team. Hating the idea of letting all of your work go up against a forfeit park, you let us submit our recovered file, which is now getting a lot of votes. It's just dissappointing and really unexpected, that's all.

And RRP, I'd be lying to you if I told you I thought the Germans would get any votes at all. I beleive the exact reason I gave Posix when I voted was that "it would keep the conest running smoothly," and make it so they wouldn't have problems with player eligibility in later rounds.
  • Louis!%s's Photo

And RRP, I'd be lying to you if I told you I thought the Germans would get any votes at all. I beleive the exact reason I gave Posix when I voted was that "it would keep the conest running smoothly," and make it so they wouldn't have problems with player eligibility in later rounds.

And that was the exact same reason I gave :p I wasnt expecting anyone to vote for our park either, but you cant change people's opinions.
  • RCTFAN%s's Photo
    Last year there were parks that went up against nothing at all and whilst that is disheartening to the players, there’s not much you can do about it, I know!

In this case though it was voted that the unfinished park is allowed to compete and from your post, it seemed that you were more annoyed about the fact that it was stealing recognition away from a finished park. This is fair enough, but IMO you can’t then rant about it when you voted for it’s acceptance in the first place.

But apparently that was a stupid fucking choice on my part, to think that people would actually vote for the more deserving park

That I think is the problem, you can't predict what people like and don't like. Yes some people are voting more for the 'idea' as opposed to the actual product, which in this case is an unfinished park Vs a finished park. But to me that’s being blind sighted, just because a park is finished doesn't mean that it is inherently better for being so.In your post you even point out bits that you liked, so is it too hard to imagine why other people would like it, perhaps even more so then you?

Having said all that, you're winning and will win this round and all the comments have been pretty positive for you're park so it's not like you are missing out on recognition for your team's hard work.

I think we should all just move on.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading