Music Forum / Who listens to rock music here?

• fraroc%s's Photo
    I do, I listen to Van Halen, Ozzy Osbourne, Quiet Riot, Ratt, Motley Crue, Whitesnake and more

But nickleback, blink 182, lit,\ and coldplay are terrible
  • inVersed%s's Photo
    I feel that you could have looked around this forum and seen that it is mainly made up of fans without having to ask.

As for me, I am mainly into underground hip hop (with some mainstream rap song exceptions). However, by working at Hollister, I have developed a pretty strong taste for a handful of chill alternative/indie rock artist such as Coconut Records, Death Cab for Cutie, and The Killers.

Even before the job, I have really enjoyed Rage Against The Machine for their revolutionary message, de la Rocha's semi-rap vocals, and Morello's guitar skills.

Other rock artists that particularly stand out to me are The Hold Steady (mainly because I love Little Hoodrat Friend), Kasabian (Club Foot!), Nirvana, and Pennywise.
  • Comet%s's Photo
    I agree, Coldplay sucks
  • In:Cities%s's Photo
    ^their live shows are amazing.
    and i dont see what makes them "suck".
    its one thing not to enjoy their music, but when i listen to them, theres nothing that particularly stands out that makes me think that 'oooh, these guys suck'.
    same goes for Blink.
    although i'm not a fan of their style, they're great at what they do, and are great musicians.

now nickleback on the other hand... yeahh they suck lol.
    like, i layered two of their songs together, and they both match up perfectly, as far as chord progressions, tempo, key, everything.
    they basically just reuse and recycle their generic songs.
    oh well.

but yeahh, i listen to various styles of rock, if thats what you like to generalize it as:]
  • Comet%s's Photo
    Yeah. I was just joking, I guess my avatar isn't as obvious as it used to be, might recognize the sig though.
    And I agree, both live shows of theirs I've been to have been amazing.

Edited by Comet, 31 August 2009 - 10:02 PM.

• Steve%s's Photo

But nickleback, blink 182, lit,\ and coldplay are terrible

Please, enlighten us.
  • Xcoaster%s's Photo
    I listen to older stuff mostly. That way I don't have to waste time trying to find the good new stuff while listening to mostly blah, and my tastes all can tend towards the single category of 'classic rock.' But basically any category of rock music is fine with me.

Anyways, mostly Rush and Beatles come to mind as favorites that I can listen to on loop, but if I had access to my cd cases I'd come up with more. Moody Blues? Hendrix? Bowie?

I listened to my Whitesnake greatest hits album recently; they're pretty good. They remind me a little of ACDC (or was it Black Sabbath? I need to listen again) with a dash of Led Zeppelin or Van Halen or something. That is to say, they seemed a bit derivative, but still good, for they were derived from good.
    ahh sorry bout that comet lol i didnt notice the sig till you pointed it out ahaha.

but man, they are so emotional and moving live.
    cant really explain it very well
  • Highball%s's Photo
    I listen to pretty much anything, but mostly country. Rock wise, I listen to classic rock.
  • tracidEdge%s's Photo
    hey fraroc how about you go listen to some better music then come back.
  • Dr_Dude%s's Photo
    I listen strictly to hipopswingjazz.
  • fraroc%s's Photo

hey fraroc how about you go listen to some better music then come back.

There is no beter music than classic rock
    ^while i kindof do agree with you in the sense that some classic rock is great music, i dont believe that its better than anything else.
    i mean, i'm a huge van halen fan.
    that was all i used to listen to when i was learning how to play guitar, and i love it.
    same goes for whitesnake, tesla, scorpions, and of course, the masterful Stevie Ray Vaughan.
    but to completely ignore other styles of music, recent or not, is ridiculous.
    by saying theres no better music than clasic rock, you basically limit yourself and put yourself into a box of musical closed mindedness in a sense.
    i'm not saying that listening to classic stuff is bad, but maybe just get outside your typical zone and give plenty of other bands a listen and open your mind to new things, because trust me, there's some really really great music out there.

maybe you have already done this, and still find classic rock to be the best music of all time.
    if thats the case, then oh well.
    have fun listening to the same 20-30 bands who all sound pretty good, but vaguely the same:]]]
  • Jazz%s's Photo

I listen to pretty much anything, but mostly country. Rock wise, I listen to classic rock.

Nice. What country stuff are you into?

Coldplay isn't real rock. I must admit that some of their stuff is good, especially their b-sides. But no, if you want bands that exemplify what rock is, take a look at Led Zeppelin or The Who. Progressive is also superb: Yes, Moody Blues, Pink Floyd; all that good stuff. Don't get me wrong, I don't loathe Coldplay, but to classify them in the same league as the groups I just mentioned is nothing short of ignorance. Chris Martin seems to have a talent for creating catchy songs, but that's all their music is to me.

Edited by Jazz, 01 September 2009 - 01:05 PM.

• Comet%s's Photo
    ^Coldplay will admit to you that they're the farthest thing from rock, and they are.
    Listen to the end of this interview...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me3dsPJFsJM
  • Liampie%s's Photo
    Does metal count as rock here? It is obviously very related.
  • Todd Lee%s's Photo
    I listen to rock music, mainly classic rock.

Alice Cooper
    Creedence
    The Dead (rock??)
    Rush
    Steppenwolf
    etc...

I listen to a very wide variety of stuff.
  • tracidEdge%s's Photo

yes there is but more importantly all of those bands that you listened to are both terrible and hair metal, not classic rock.
  • zodiac%s's Photo
    i usually listen to indie rock, which is the best genre hands down, but have delved into:

hardcore
    post-rock
    post-punk
    indie pop
    electro
    indie electro
    emo
    screamo
    folk
    progressive
    shoegaze
    instrumental
    orchestral
    even some scene, lol.

and more that i'm forgetting. but never crunkcore.
  • Dr_Dude%s's Photo

That makes no sense. At all. Do you live in a log cabin filled with antique furniture as well? Becuase there is no better way to live than outdated.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading