Music Forum / As the Sky Awaits

• Camcorder22%s's Photo
    Production is great and all the instruments are super solid. Having recorded metal before, I understand how hard it is to get everything super tight in terms of playing and mixing, and you guys managed to achieve both of those. So great job with that, you guys should be proud of yourselves for having the perseverance to complete one album in this genre to this level of quality. The one issue I have with the mix is the kick sound, it sounds fine most of the time, but when there's long runs of double bass it stands out and sounds a little too triggered.

Although it does manage to avoid a lot of cliches of the genre, I do feel like you guys could still expand your sound a little bit more. I hear hints of that in the guitar riffing and the chord progressions but for the most part, it falls into the standard sound of metalcore/hardcore. If you guys were able to incorporate your own style of riffing, tonality, or other influences, I'd absolutely love it. I'd encourage you or whoever the primary writer is to expose themselves to as many different styles of music as possible, including classical, jazz, electronic, prog, etc. Not just casually listening, but active listening including transcribing, taking notes, or jamming with musicians of other styles of music. I'm not saying to awkwardly juxtapose between as many genres as possible, but if you're able to subtly color the sound with other influences, it takes the music to a whole other level. As it is right now, its a clean, tight, and enjoyable album that doesn't really take any risks or stand apart from the masses of bands of this style. Though this might all just be my opinion, as I have a pretty off the wall musical taste.

Just got to 'Speculations' and its my favorite song on here so far as its taking some of those aforementioned risks. Also I love 7th chords. I also have to give props for the use of breakdowns as compositional elements and not just to get the hardcore kids something to dance to. So many bands kill the flow of their songs with terribly placed breakdowns, but the one at the end of 'Signals' was perfectly placed. Such a huge impact...I had to go back and listen again.

I look forward to hearing what you guys are able to do in the future, and if you ever want to jam, I'll be down in Miami starting in August.
  • In:Cities%s's Photo
    If any of you are interested at all, here's a brand new update video about our new members/changes/plans, as well as some pre-production of our new music:]

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=MqN4uFSb35U

I'm excited!
  • Arjan v l%s's Photo
    ^^ Whoa!
    Not my kind of music ,but it sound awesome!
  • In:Cities%s's Photo
    Haha thanks dude!

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading