Music Forum / As the Sky Awaits

• Corkscrewy%s's Photo
    Sorry for the double post but Josh is also a pretty sweet name ;) haha
  • In:Cities%s's Photo
    haha yeah dude, i've been playing this game off and on since i was little. i view it as a virtual set of legos where i can build whatever i want whenever i want. its good at relieving stress and boredom lol.

so you're in a band as well?
  • Brent%s's Photo
    Have you promoted yourself on absolutepunk.net? Pretty big site over there, and they always do weekly small-band round-ups.
    i've thought about it, but havent really hung around that site too much. thanks for the suggestion though dude. i'll look into it again.
  • Timothy Cross%s's Photo
    Just want to post in here again to encourage you, Josh. You and 'As the Sky Awaits' are a very talented band and you will move and touch a great audience, God willing.

On a somewhat related note, I believe Christian music should be the most innovative music, given the subject matter they're dealing with. The Bible is the deepest book and greatest treasure this world has, and -Christ crucified- is the deepest subject there is (the entire Bible has to do with this). All this said just to suggest you don't stop where you're at as a band. Keep exploring music and experimenting with chord progressions, riffs, lyrics etc. etc. And also, dig DEEP into the word of God. The material there is endless. So much so, the depth and meaning of any given verse is inexhaustible.

Also remember: "All scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work." - 2nd Timothy 3: 16-17

Just keep your #1 goal being to glorify God.

God bless, bud.
    If any of you are interested, here is a short video with a clip of one of our brand new songs from the album. There is no screaming in this song, so hopefully more of you will enjoy it haha.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=n8E8oSjOgwM

*Note, these aren't the final vocals. These are just the pre-production tracks.
  • h3r3stheKrak3n.%s's Photo
    The quality of your band becomes better and better! Still following your drummer on youtube, devildriver, right? :D

Just one question, as I unfortunately judge the quality of bands not only by there music but also their characters......

When I scroll down this thread basically all I see is Fantastico doing christian propaganda. I know many christian Metalcore-Bands (As I Lay Dying, August Burns Red.....), but none of them is actually trying to get you "on their side of the faith". I respect religion, but I don't see myself christian or anything like that. Do you actually play the music, to (like Fantastico gloryfies....) get people to believe in god, or are you just christian and want to make music?

I'd like an honest answer, because I can't stand this propagande-stuff in metal or hardcore music. For example the vegan, straight-edge thing in hardcore (TDWP etc...).

Just asking. ;)
    hahaha i'm with you on that vegan/sxc/hardcore nonsense. its trendy and stupid.
    but i also think that a lot of bands do the whole Christian thing as a trend as well.

for us personally, christianity is a lifestyle. not a religion. the very definition of the word christianity is Christ-like.
    in that sense, we work on building ourselves up in character and integrity and becoming the solid men of god that we should be. the bible in no way states that as a Christian you should judge others and condemn them to go to hell just because they don't follow the same beliefs.
    Christ preached a message of love, and we will do the same.

Now this doesn't mean we claim Christianity simply because we feel like it. We make our music for a purpose and ultimately yes, that purpose is in a sense to try and make an impact and get our listeners to maybe question themselves and consider believing what we believe. We will NEVER push anything in anyone's face simply because thats narrow minded and rude.

Now think, what would it take for someone to actually be influenced by a band like us? Well i think that if someone were to do so, we would need to truly be 100% who we claim to be.
    All of us in this band have a background that we're not proud of. Bad events in our lives that we have overcome to get to where we are. For instance, my vocalist has the most screwed up story out of us all haha. He used to be heavily involved in gang violence and drugs. [dealing and using]. His entire life was consumed by that lifestyle.
    Since finding a relationship with Christ and being connected with us in this band, he has been completely sober for over a year, and is now living with a passion like never before.

When we play shows, it is impossible for our hearts and passion not to show through. Our music is personal to us in a way unlike most bands. We write about real issues that we have dealt with. Its not uncommon for our vocalist to be on the verge of being in tears while screaming his heart out about the power of redemption and forgiveness simply because it is something he has lived through personally.

That being said, we are who we are because someone gave us a chance to change our lives. We have been impacted by others in becoming who we are today.
    While we aren't a very big band, we do have an audience. And we choose to use this small bit of a platform to give others the same chance that we were given. Its only fair.
    We leave it open for kids to come pray with us after shows, or speak with us about things we go through. It means the world to us for someone to come up to us at a show after we play and tell us how we have changed their life. Maybe its just words, or maybe we might have actually influenced him. Who knows? Its still very very humbling.
    We are nowhere near perfect individuals and still deal with things daily, which i think makes us more approachable and relatable to kids at shows rather than some puffed-up 'perfect' religious judgemental dicks.

So to answer your question, yes we do make our music with a purpose. Just not in a propaganda type way haha. We have a complete blast doing what we do, and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Hope this clears up some stuff for you buddy. If you don't like what we stand for, its all good man. We're not going to get upset about it.
    You can always talk to us about sports or food or how fat our singer is or how hairy our drummer is. We're normal kids doing what we love to do:]

-Josh

And no offense to Fantastico, but i don't really endorse the same sort of thing that he is preaching. We are not called to be the doomsday prophets and judge others for their sin.
  • SSSammy%s's Photo
    i like the lack of screaming. i think i like this stuff purely because i have a lot of respect for you, josh.

And no offense to Fantastico, but i don't really endorse the same sort of thing that he is preaching. We are not called to be the doomsday prophets and judge others for their sin.

No prob, bud. As stated before, I am a Calvinist. Look into it, perhaps.

Btw, I condemn no soul to hell. I have a heart for the lost. I just won't sugarcoat the message causing people to believe in a watered-down gospel. This will do them no good.
    Thanks a lot for that explanation! I see this very good the way, you explained it to me and it makes sense now!

I guess our views are basically very very equal, besides the fact I stopped any part of christianity for myself, since I only experienced negative influence etc. from christians here. There are so many things that tell me I'm not part of any god-moved system here. besides that of course I respect other peoples faith, as it is a good thing as long as it stays private or healthy.

So in the end it all depends to the music for me. ;)

I'll check more stuff from you guys out!
    Guess there's no chance seeing you in Germany soon? :D
    ^ Dude, God loves you, he doesn't want to lose you because you deny him.

"Till an arrow pierces it's liver;

As a bird rushes into a snare;

he does not know that it will cost him his life."

- Proverbs 7: 23

Fantastico I'm quite into a little discussion right now, I'll make this a PM talk!
    Well our faith definitely isn't private, but we won't shove our beliefs down your throat. Its ultimately your choice to make. We can only give you the same opportunity that we were given and hope that we have made some sort of impact in a positive way.

But thanks so much kraken and samsam. That really means a lot coming from you guys:]

We tracked vocals on this today in the studio, and they sound incredible. What you hear now is a pre-production version with the vocals recorded on my laptop.
    The actual studio version vocals are much more melodic and thought out.
    Plus, he added more soaring counter melodies in the background that sound utterly amazing.
    I was blown away haha.
    Gonna check it out soon. ;)
    I think our crowd response and live sound has gotten a bit better over time;]

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=LBq3_4isgxQ
    Hey guys! Sorry for the lack of updates lately.
    But I am pleased to show you all a BRAND NEW song from our upcoming album:]

Please check us out on facebook at http://www.facebook.com/astheskyawaits

If you click on the BandPage tab, the new song is called 'Apparitions'
    It is not the final studio version, just a slightly unfinished pre-release track. I hope you enjoy!

-Josh
  • Pacificoaster%s's Photo
    Sounding solid. :nod:
  • musicman%s's Photo
    Awesomeness. is that talkbox towards the end?
    Nope!
    Its a harmony of voices. Our vocalist, along with the vocalists of two other great bands in the area; The Angel Said and In Motion.
    Just put a lot of reverb on it:]

Thanks guys!

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading