General Chat / The Official "What book are you reading?" Thread

• Midnight Aurora%s's Photo
    Tales from the Jazz Age - F. Scott Fitzgerald
    Choke - Chuck Palahniuk
    Ghulliver's Travels - Jonathan Swift

This Side of Paradise - F. Scott Fitzgerald is next on the list.
  • dr dirt%s's Photo
    The Bourne Identity - Robert Ludlum
  • Levis%s's Photo
    I got the Dark Wraith of Shannara with chrismas so I'm reading the original shannara triology again. Started on the seccond one now. Then the third one and then I can read the commic.
    Also finally got the last part of blood of the southlands so that will be next.

so now:

The elfstones of shannara by - Terry Goodkind
  • That Guy%s's Photo

The Bourne Identity - Robert Ludlum

Same. :D
  • Wanted%s's Photo
    The Stand-Stephen King
  • Timothy Cross%s's Photo
    The Bible - God
  • SSSammy%s's Photo

any book by stephen king-Stephen King

ahhhh, we do have fun. ;)
  • Wanted%s's Photo
    Thanks Sammy.
  • dr dirt%s's Photo
    Because I've been in love with it the past few days:

The Girl who Played with Fire - Stieg Larsson

Really an awesome series, can't wait for the English movies.
  • Midnight Aurora%s's Photo

Tales from the Jazz Age - F. Scott Fitzgerald
    Choke - Chuck Palahniuk
    Ghulliver's Travels - Jonathan Swift

This Side of Paradise - F. Scott Fitzgerald is next on the list.

Finished the Fitzgerald books, halfway through Choke, though it's my "I have five minutes between clients, what can I possibly do?" book, so it won't be finished any time soon. The problem with Gulliver's is that I can't stand Romantic Literature, and I already know the story. Time to start reading some more contemporary novels.
  • That Guy%s's Photo
    The Testament - John Grisham

Loving it, it hooked me so fast...
  • chorkiel%s's Photo
    I'm thinking of reading 'the book of mormon', any reviews on it?
    ^ Well, the only episode of South Park I ever really agreed with summed it up pretty nicely.

Seriously though, it contradicts the Bible in so many ways that it's not worth the exploration into heresy.
  • chorkiel%s's Photo
    ^I've never read the full bible because I never agreed with the bits that I've read yet.
    I wanna read the book of mormon, because I've heard those stories are actually funny as hell !

(if anyone is a mormon on here, I didn't mean to offend you.)
    ^ It's okay for now if you don't agree with the Bible. But let me encourage you to explore it further, if not for belief, then at least for it's qualities. It's a fascinating and extremely deep book. Check this out:

"All Scipture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness," (2 Timothy 3:16)

'All Scripture' here is referring first to The Old Testiment and of what was written in The New Testiment at the time of this verses writing (though it would come to refer to the entire Bible).

This verse is part of a letter written by the Apostle Paul from a roman prison to preacher, Timothy. 'Breathed out by God' translates a Greek work "theopneustos" which never occurs in any other Greek text (biblical or otherwise) prior to this letter. Some biblical commentaries (books which translate the Bible) suggest that Paul coined this term from words meaning "God" and "breathed", which is indeed possible. The term is meant to stress the divine origin and authority of scripture. Paul here, means to point out that the authors of the Bible are not simply inspired people, but that the writings are actually words spoken ("breathed out") by God. Interesting, eh? :D
  • gir%s's Photo
    So I picked up Patrick O'Brian's Master and Commander for a plane ride (I looove the film Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World) and wow. I cannot put it down. Unfortunately I have to read other books for my studies first but this is a gripping book for sure. It's comforting to know there are so many other books in this series though; it should keep me occupied for a while.
  • dr dirt%s's Photo
    Dracula for class now. My second favorite class book next to And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie.

The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson. Was flying through it until I lost the book a few weeks ago. Such a shame because I love the series.

Next up I'll choose either Strangers on a Train or The Manchurian Candidate.
  • mardy%s's Photo
    "Freedom Writers"
    When i saw the movie i was solled.
  • GigaG%s's Photo
    Currently I'm in the middle of Lost Moon by Jim Lovell and Jeffrey Kluger. It is a book about Apollo 13 (I am a bit of an aerospace fanatic.)
  • robbie92%s's Photo
    Cat in the Hat by Dr. Suess

Will he drop the fishbowl? Can they catch the Things? Can they clean up the house before Mom gets home?!

In seriousness, just finished a book about the 1889 Worlds Fair and the creation of the Eiffel Tower.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading