Music Forum / Albums your looking forward to

• Jellybones%s's Photo

Atleast's she one of the few artists today that are worthy and deserving of a masterpiece collection.  Show me another divas still holdin' strong today after 40+ years of chart toppers and soul?  Act like you've never heard of a greatest hits album, even Aaron Carter has one 8@

Greatest Hits collections are usually products of a greedy label...but shit, Aaron Carter? People actually like him?

Ah well, it's like the time I went to a radio station concert featuring the Cranberries and Barenaked Ladies...but conveniently, Dream Street opened up.

And 18 year old girls were fawning over kids whose voices were cracking on stage.
  • cg?%s's Photo
    Vert, hits mean nothing. Look at the afformentioned Aaron Carter. He's had numerous hits on bubblegum radio, yet, uh, um, you can't honestly tell me he can sing, can you?

Well, Aretha Franklin can at least sing, and her taste in songs (to cover, as that's all she does... how talented :rolleyes:) is quite good. But the production is typically quite bland, and her versions of songs are never the version.

You know what I mean.

Elvis' version of 'Hound Dog' is the version of 'Hound Dog'. But take a tune Aretha did, and the best, most recognizable version, was never hers. Except for 'Respect', of course.

So, like, yeah...

There are a lot of albums I'm waiting for, patiently. But right now I'm most anticipating my damn order of Marquee Moon by Television to go through. Stupid credit cards, all that 'Verification' bullcrap.
  • Jellybones%s's Photo
    But Aretha was pretty good in 'The Blues Brothers'.
  • cg?%s's Photo
    Yes, she was. But when you consider the calliber of many of the people in the movie, only the 'Blues Brothers' themselves are less talented. Even the backing band is better than her!

Which isn't too suprising, as it is made up of some of the better Blues session players. But, still...
  • Jellybones%s's Photo
    Hey, watch it. Joliet Jake kicks some serious ass. Elwood rocks on the harmonica. And haven't you heard their rendition of the theme from 'Rawhide'? Shit.

...err, if nothing else, they're better than Spinal Tap.
  • cg?%s's Photo
    Jake and Elwood have zero talent, and tons of passion. Spinal Tap had zero talent, and zero passion. So I agree with you there.

Spinal Tap also didn't have the best, or at least one of the best, most talented, and yes, most passionate backing bands in the history of popular R&B.

The only group to come close are the Funk Brothers, and they were never really let loose the way the Blues Brothers Band were and are until 'Standing In The Shadows Of Motown', an album you all need to buy, now.

At least, all of those who love classic R&B. Like Vert, and me, and stuff.
  • Vert%s's Photo

Well, Aretha Franklin can at least sing, and her taste in songs (to cover, as that's all she does... how talented  :rolleyes:) is quite good. But the production is typically quite bland, and her versions of songs are never the version.

You know what I mean.

Elvis' version of 'Hound Dog' is the version of 'Hound Dog'. But take a tune Aretha did, and the best, most recognizable version, was never hers. Except for 'Respect', of course.

So, like, yeah...

There are a lot of albums I'm waiting for, patiently. But right now I'm most anticipating my damn order of Marquee Moon by Television to go through. Stupid credit cards, all that 'Verification' bullcrap.

Chauncey, just to skim over her #1 hits:
    -Baby I Love You was not a cover
    -I Never Loved A Man was never approached again with pipes and power like Aretha(Rhonda Clark stunk)
    -Do Right Woman Do Right Man, Franklin made the song famous on her 1967 record I Never Loved a Man (The Way I Love You). Penn's own version of "Do Right Woman Do Right Man" notwithstanding, no other recording of this classic — from Etta James' to Willie Nelson's — holds a candle to Franklin's.
    -Chain of Fools, Otis Redding lost this one to Aretha in a heartbeat
    -Spanish Harlem, Franklin's cover was more swinging and bass heavy which is why it went further than King's version.
    -Rock Steady is the one single from Aretha that no one could ever take to greater heights!
    Think...

You know this is a waste of time! None of this is even by fault of Aretha. Some view it as little more than a magnificent voice wasted on mediocre material and production of artista and Columbia records. Others seem to grasp for any excuse they can to praise her whenever there seems to be some kind of resurgence of her soul leanings. Most would agree that her post-mid-'70s recordings are fairly inconsequential when judged against her prime Atlantic era. The blame is often laid at the hands of unsuitable material, but it should also be remembered that — like Elvis Presley and Ray Charles — Franklin never thought of herself as confined to one genre. She always loved to sing straight pop songs, even if her early Atlantic records gave one the impression that her true home was earthy soul music. If for some reason she returned to straight soul shouting in the future, it's doubtful that the phase would last for more than an album or two. In the meantime, despite her lukewarm recent sales record, she's an institution, assured of the ability to draw live audiences and immense respect for the rest of her lifetime, regardless of whether there are any more triumphs on record in store.
  • cg?%s's Photo
    Firstly Vert, the songs you listed are not major songs by any stretch of the imagination. Sure, they were popular when released but certainly, the are not 'classics' by any means.

The notable exception is of course 'Chain of Fools', and I am very sorry to have forgotten it.

But two songs of true note-worthy-ness (at least in my opinion) do not consitute an artist being worthy of my praise. Especially when those songs are not what I'd define as 'brilliant'.

Nothing like a Video Killed The Radio Star sort of pop gem. And yes, Video Killed The Radio Star is the most underrated song, ever. Brilliant, simply brilliant.

Just close your eyes, remove all preconceived notions, and listen. Kick ass.

Oh, yeah... noone will ever top the original 'Spanish Harlem', ever. Debate it all you want, but it just will not ever happen. Unless Phil Spector somehow regains all of his talent, gets his ass in the studio, and find a way to rework that magic just one more time...

Like that's gonna happen. Last time I checked the cops wanted him to fry in the electric chair for murder, or something, right?
  • Jellybones%s's Photo
    'Video Killed the Radio Star' is underrated? That's the most popular song in my English class. Then again, we're all a bunch of honors nerdy fucks.
  • Vert%s's Photo
    Chauncey, this isn't a debate or effort to please you. One who can't be pleased by Aretha in terms of soul obviously is not gonna be pleased anytime soon, especially when you don't consider Rock Steady a classic.

Aretha's song, whether hers or covers, can be found on more soundtracks than any other. And Video Killed the Radio Star is considered noise in my book. We have different standards and tastes, but one things covered, Aaron Carter is not in our collections!

Most underrated song in my book is A Deeper Love by Aretha :rolleyes:
  • Jellybones%s's Photo

Video Killed the Radio Star is considered noise in my book.

Blasphemy!
  • Vert%s's Photo
    The material is fine but the song just sounds plain annoying, it not a winner to everyone. The reason why the hits can be a contreversy is because most either praise the track or want to rip it apart.
  • Ablaze%s's Photo
    After those months of waiting, on Monday the new album from Chimaira will hit stores across the UK. If you want to hear more new about it and the band then go here

If you like a bit of Grindcore then don't miss out on this one.
  • Chesire%s's Photo
    The new Thrice album is coming in July. Thats fucking great! :w00t:
  • spiderman%s's Photo

Think Tank by Blur  its out 5th of may I think.

Blur! Blur is cool. I'm also waiting for St. Anger by Metallica, too, as I think it might not be gay rock stuff now!
  • cg?%s's Photo

The material is fine but the song just sounds plain annoying, it not a winner to everyone.

How does it sound annoying? It's beautiful, lush, rich, textured, layered, symphonic even. Far more musically sound than anything Aretha ever did.

And QOTSA-2002, it is severly underrated. Most people just remember the chorus, and ignore the true wonders of the song.

Perhaps the best production ever. Certainly one of the 10 best produced songs in the history of recorded music. In the top 5 of most people who truly understand production in music.

The only drawback is of course the song writing, which is servicable but, well, whatever. The muscianship, humor and production make up for it.

Yeah, yeah, yeah...

Oh, yeah, um, the new Yeah, Yeah, Yeah's CD is anxiously awaited here, even though I'm pretty sure it already came out. I don't have it though! :(

Anywho...

Chauncey, this isn't a debate or effort to please you. One who can't be pleased by Aretha in terms of soul obviously is not gonna be pleased anytime soon, especially when you don't consider Rock Steady a classic.

I've heard true soul, and it is not Aretha! She's a talentless popstar, with slightly more talent than your average talentless popstar. Live with it.
  • Jellybones%s's Photo

Oh, yeah, um, the new Yeah, Yeah, Yeah's CD is anxiously awaited here, even though I'm pretty sure it already came out. I don't have it though! :(

Came out on the 29th. I'll buy it if it's, like, 7 bucks or something at Best Buy.
  • Ablaze%s's Photo
    I have it, finally Chimaira has come. And what a good fucking way it has as well, the album so far is amazing and I am still listening. I will probably find some time to write a review on it soon.
  • Raven-SDI%s's Photo
    Hello.

Coaterct Nick...

What do you think of the new guitar sound?
    Personally, I think they should have stuck with the 7-strings, but the record still sounds amazing with or without them...

Raven-SDI
    §
  • Ablaze%s's Photo
    I really like it, its got more of a deathmetal feel to it. At the moment Power Trip is probably my favourite song, yours?

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading