Theme Park Discussion / Top Thrill Dragster

• Twiggy%s's Photo
    Next week I'm heading to Cedar Point with some family. Last time I went I didn't ride anything becuase I was a little pansy. But this time I'm planning on riding a lot more, such as Top Thrill Dragster, but I'm real nervous :( . Because, for some strange reason, whenever I get launched on a coaster I the "air time" feeling, which is good in some cases. But since this is pretty long launch, I'm worried that it'll be too intense. Am I being a pansy again? I think so. But, also, I wondering if you guys get the same feeling when launched because my brother and my cousins don't, which is strange to me.
  • Top Gun%s's Photo
    You only live once.
  • wildroller%s's Photo
    You're not being a pansy at all, you totally could come out of your seat and not come back down with the coaster!
  • CoasterCreator9%s's Photo

Next week I'm heading to Cedar Point with some family. Last time I went I didn't ride anything becuase I was a little pansy. But this time I'm planning on riding a lot more, such as Top Thrill Dragster, but I'm real nervous :( . Because, for some strange reason, whenever I get launched on a coaster I the "air time" feeling, which is good in some cases. But since this is pretty long launch, I'm worried that it'll be too intense. Am I being a pansy again? I think so. But, also, I wondering if you guys get the same feeling when launched because my brother and my cousins don't, which is strange to me.

I went last summer, and I'm gonna try to go again this year. TTD is an amazing ride. The launch isn't abrupt, yet it is fast. By the time you reach the top, the train isn't really going fast enough to contribute enough airtime to really pull you up much. Frankly, Maverick has much more airtime, yet it isn't nearly as fast.

Hope you enjoy Cedar Point! :D (I wouldn't mind a trip report when you get back. :p )
  • tdub96%s's Photo
    Airtime is the zero gravity sensation on coaster hills, not the launch like on TTD. That, simply, is g-force and air resistance that you feel.

I rode the Dragster for the first time a few weeks back and it certaintly is not scary at all. Dont be afraid! Its a fun ride, but certaintly not anything worth being scared about nor is it the best coaster in the park. When i went, the wait was 1.5 hours long, and it was not worth it. Sure, its an amazing experience that few coasters can deliver, but it didnt live up to the hype for me.

What is amazing about it though is the top hat. When you get up there, its 420 feet. So looking at everything is like a Bing/Google satelite map and it is impressive. But as soon as you comprehend, hey, im 420 feet up in the air, youre already spiraling back towards earth. Surely is a great experience though, and you should definetly ride it. Any enthusiast should. I just wont ride it more than once every time i go because the wait isnt worth it. Millennium Force and Maverick are easily better coasters imo, and my top 2 favorites in the world.

Have fun on your trip and keep us posted! Would love to see some pics of your day in a little TR like CC9 said above. Good luck, and dont be scared!
  • Twiggy%s's Photo
    I'm planning to ride Millennium Force, Maverick, and most of the other rides, EXCEPT Power Tower. Dang. That thing looks scary as hell, and I've always had a fear of freefall rides. PLus, my cousin says she is dragging me on if I'm crying. So... that ride should be barrels o' fun :( . Anyways, I'm really excited about the trip. I'll give a small trip report when I get back.
  • That Guy%s's Photo
    It's so fast and tall your brain can't even register anything that's going on. I thought Maverick was more intense, honestly.
  • Pacificoaster%s's Photo
    I'd like to open my comment by saying that Cedar Point is the best amusement park in the U.S. You should really take advantage being there while you can. That being said, try to ride as many rides as possible.

I believe you're referring to the acceleration of the launch rather than airtime. If so, TTD does indeed accelerate quite fast and you have to be prepared for it. Just remember, "Arms Down, Head Back, and Hold On"

Other coasters that you must ride while you're there (in no particular order):
    Raptor
    Wicked Twister
    Millennium Force
    Maverick
    Magnum XL200
    Gemini
  • Twiggy%s's Photo

Other coasters that you must ride while you're there (in no particular order):
    Raptor
    Wicked Twister
    Millennium Force
    Maverick
    Magnum XL200
    Gemini

Seriously!? Gemini?! I was thinking rather Mean Streak than Gemini. Gemini seams a little, I don't know, TOO simple. Is it really that fun? And also, is it true that Mantis really does hurt?
  • Pacificoaster%s's Photo
    Dude, Gemini rules! True classic racer.

You'll be fine on Mantis as long as you're not screwing around before they lock the restraints.
  • Maverix%s's Photo
    Mean Streak = Death. If you, or one of your family members, even has or has had even mild back problems or anything of the sort DO NOT RIDE!!! It is by far the roughest coaster I've ever ridden.

Mantis, like ^ said, only hurts if you're not standing properly. Otherwise it's fine and a damn good coaster.
  • That Guy%s's Photo

I'd like to open my comment by saying that Cedar Point is the best amusement park in the U.S.

Universal? Disney....?
  • Maverix%s's Photo
    ^Amusement park, not theme park. There is a difference, a small but significant difference.
  • inVersed%s's Photo

Universal? Disney....?

I would take Cedar Point any day over those parks
  • rct2isboss%s's Photo
    Six Flags Magic Mountain and SeaWorld at Tampa is nice as well. But Cedar Point has some wicked coasters. Dont be afraid of TTD its like a ten second ride anyways.
  • RamSam12%s's Photo

I would take Cedar Point any day over those parks

This. :D

As for the TTD launch, it really does not feel much different from any other high speed launch coaster (Stormrunner, Xcelerator...) and the airtime is hardly ejector air at all. Coasters like Phoenix and El Toro have way more intense airtime moments than Dragster.
  • Twiggy%s's Photo

its like a ten second ride anyways.

Sorry if I'm a picky, perfectionist bitch, but its 28 seconds. ;)
  • rct2isboss%s's Photo
    ohh wow so much longer but from the time you are shot off to the time when you hit the brakes its around ten seconds
  • Twiggy%s's Photo

Airtime is the zero gravity sensation on coaster hills, not the launch like on TTD. That, simply, is g-force and air resistance that you feel.

I'm not stupid, I know what airtime is, but what I'm saying is that I get the, "Your balls are in your stomach feeling". Which to me in a long, constant period of time can be too overwhelming.
  • That Guy%s's Photo
    Yes, that's the sensation from airtime, and I didn't fell that at all on dragster. And believe me, once you ride once, you'll want to ride again.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading