General Chat / The Official Brag About RL Shit thread.

• inthemanual%s's Photo
    Hell, Google doesn't even care if you have a degree, as long as you can do the job
  • Coupon%s's Photo

Google has like ten employees without degrees

• Lotte%s's Photo

yet about 90% of their employees have degrees, chances are you're more likely to get in with a degree

• Ling%s's Photo

Yeah, I wouldn't count on something like that. If you want to be a valet in Vegas, you probably don't need one, but otherwise...

• Lotte%s's Photo

also can't any school just call themselves a university in the US? we have around 15 universities in the netherlands but would have around 100 if we were to adopt the same standards

• Ling%s's Photo

I don't think so. Maybe private universities can, but for public ones I'm sure there are lengthy regulations. You also have to keep in mind how large the United States is, so we have a million universities. Sometimes they will be affiliated though - for instance, there are four "Montana State University" campuses throughout Montana, and while they are all called different things, they are part of the same organization.

• Louis!%s's Photo

I find it a bit odd that you have so few in the Netherlands.

Pretty sure in the UK to be classed as a city you have to have a University, and thus there are lots of Universities here (a lot more than there are cities, but you get my point)

• Liampie%s's Photo

I think there's a difference in definition. Post-secondary (tertiary?) education in the Netherlands:

MBO: practical eduction directed at specific jobs. Mostly dumb people and crafty people

HBO: advanced education in different fields, more theoretical but still directed at getting people a job. People read textbooks here. You can earn bachelors and masters here, but they're different from bachelors and masters earned at the highest level:

WO (University): in most of the fields purely theoretical, the most advanced, people read only academic material.

There's a lot of MBO and HBO, but less WO. Another difference with the US for example is that most schools are public. They're usually very big; my university has 30.000 students. There aren't many private schools.

• Ling%s's Photo

Mine has about 16,000 but is a state school.

It sounds like MBO is equivalent to what we call "vocational school", HBO is community college and WO is a standard university. Although universities have incredibly wide ranges of studies, they will generally just be known for one or two. My school is known for engineering and physics - others might be known for law or computer science or geology, but they will pretty all have a billion majors/minors available.

• Faas%s's Photo

At my campus they have HBO and University next to each other and the difference is that around the HBO building it is full of trash because no one bothers to throw it away, while around the other buildings everyone throws away their stuff in the trash. 

• trav%s's Photo

Pretty sure in the UK to be classed as a city you have to have a University, and thus there are lots of Universities here (a lot more than there are cities, but you get my point)

There used to be a requirement that a city had to have a cathedral to actually be a city, but not a university. Nowadays, it's just whenever the Queen fancies promoting a town to city status. 

• Dr_Dude%s's Photo

where im from, HBO is where you watch True Detective!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Louis!%s's Photo

There used to be a requirement that a city had to have a cathedral to actually be a city, but not a university. Nowadays, it's just whenever the Queen fancies promoting a town to city status. 

Think it is a catherdral and a university that is required.

Yes, nowadays its whether the queen wants the city to be a city or not. BUT, they still have to apply formally, and meet these requirements, if they then don't then it's up to the queen.

For example, Brighton & Hove achieved city status, but is the only city to not have a cathedral. It has several large churches, and thus one was deemed to be equivalent to a cathedral and thus it was an acceptable city.

But yeh, that was 2000. There hasn't been any cities designated since 2002 (queens jubilee)

• Lotte%s's Photo

meanwhile the city where i live has 17000 inhabitants and has been a city for 51 years longer than amsterdam

• inthemanual%s's Photo

Today, I perfectly folded a fitted sheet. 

• Maverix%s's Photo

I call bull shit

• SSSammy%s's Photo

louis, preston became a city when the queen went mad with power and we've not had electricty for that long

• ][ntamin22%s's Photo

The definition of "University" is pretty standard everywhere - the highest possible rung on the school ladder - but what you do there and how that ranks you among international academia varies wildly.

I've attended a University of 4000 students and a University of 40,000 students.

• Super G%s's Photo

The HBO collages are internationaly marketed as "University of applied science" most of the times. I don't know if that is because to international standards they are marked as universities or if that is because it helps them getting more international students.

• macncheezburger%s's Photo

Finally employed again since November! It may or may not be brag worthy, but god, the stress is just all of a sudden gone. It's surreal. 

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading