(Archive) Advertising District / The Escapist Experience

• Liampie%s's Photo
    I haven't built much this summer but somehow I thought today was the right day to finally start advertising this. I've been working on this park for over a year although I recycled some older ideas and designs, from 2008 onwards. The park has five areas, each one having a romantic theme in the broad sence of the word.

Posted Image

The entrance area is Ibiza, which is the most generic looking and least romantic area in the park. There are parties, games, shops, a beach, a wellness centre and much more. And of course alcohol. This area feels like a cheap holiday and is pure escapism. Once you enter the park you'll immediately forget about all your everyday worries and stuff, and the Ibiza area gives you the right mood to explore the other four areas! This screen shows the entrance to the Aphrodite Wellness Centre, some random tavern and the main ride in the area, Gran Fiesta. Gran Fiesta looks like a hyper coaster but is relatively small. It's more like an arrow equivalent of the Intamin mega lite. Fuck conservative realism.

Posted Image

The second area hasn't got a definitive name yet. It looks like another 'dark jungle/tribe' theme, but when you take a closer look it's really not that dark. The theme of this area is 'total freedom'. Like being a castaway on some uninhabited island, creating your own little paradise. I truly dream of running naked through a forest, pissing against any tree I want, eating from any fruit I want, going wherever I can go, all without interference by other people or law or whatever. In other words, total freedom. The screens shows a maze that has Liampie-shaped idols hidden in it (a puzzle maze!), Papagayo (arguably the most impressive coaster in the park ), Crusoe's Cooking Corner and much more.

Posted Image

The fifth area (skipped the third and fourth for now) is Tenochtitlan. All that remains of the Aztec Empire and all the Aztec themes in RCT parks are no more than a bunch of overgrown ruins. I wonder what would've happened if Tenochtitlan didn't fall in 1521. The city was one of the biggest cities in the world at that time and the society was very complex and organized already. How is it possible that such an advanced society could disappear almost completely in so little time? Tenochtitlan 500 years ago must have been an amazing sight. My adaption of Tenochtitlan tries to capture the feel of an Aztec city from before the Spaniards. The architecture is mostly fictionous, because there is so little information on authentic Aztec architecture. The area is mostly about grandeur anyway, not details. The screens shows the central market place. Except for the sun drying peppers, there's not much market yet. :p Going to change that soon. Also shown is the bottom of Templo Mayor which has a ride inside, and a yet to be named water ride.

Posted Image

Ibiza - 97%
    'Total freedom' - 92%
    King Autumn's Court - 40%
    Sana'a - 65%
    Tenochtitlan - 60%

I don't think I can finish the park this year but it would be nice. I'm hoping for an instant inspiration bomb!

Enjoy and comment.
  • Flap%s's Photo
    Looks like a really great LL park! I love what i see now.
  • Luigi%s's Photo
    First screen looks great! I would suggest to add some supports for the nets above the terrace in the top-right of the screen and I think there are a tad too much of the pink flowers.

Second screen is great, the best LL screen I have seen from you. I especially like the monorail.

Third screen is OK. I think there is too much path in this screen.

The thing in the top-left of the overview looks enormous :eek: Curious to see that one.
  • JJayMForce%s's Photo
    I am no expert on LL, but all this looks good imo. I like the colors in the first screen and everything else.

I am especially looking forward to your Aztec theme. Looking at that screen I can just imagine the sun gleaming off all of those structures, and all the people in the city filling up the streets, ready for beheadings or what have you lol, crazy aztecs. It reminds me a lot of the movie Apocalypto.
  • Louis!%s's Photo
    Great stuff Liam. The last area seems too bland, but there are some great ideas in it, like the coloured mini-golf etc.

The second screen's colours seem odd to me, not a fan of the Invert colours one bit, also seems a bit random in object selection, but hey ho, still a nice screen and the maze looks great.

The first screen is good too, shame about the abundance of pink flowers, thats the only thing that puts me off.

Nice park though, good to see more of your LL :)
  • Dimi%s's Photo
    I love the third screen! The others are a bit too chaotic for me.
  • SSSammy%s's Photo
    monorail sidefriction looks fantastic!
  • Fizzix%s's Photo
    I'm loving all the color in each of the areas! Nice touch with the step-pyramid in Tenochtitlan. So far this a great looking park!
  • gir%s's Photo
    Sweeeet. Love the overview.
  • ScOtLaNdS_FiNeSt%s's Photo
    The Tenochtitlan area is what i imagined it would be from learning about it in history, From the limited amount we know about the aztec's i think you have done a good job ... And i also agree with you that the society of the aztec's was very advanced for it's age but it just show's you the difference between europe at the time and central america ... Amazing stuff, Im sure Montezuma would be proud of your work :lol:
  • DictatorOfFrenchToast%s's Photo
    It is very nice :) Although i find having all those random objects like chess pieces to be a slight eyesore. Maybe that's jus me though
  • robbie92%s's Photo
    Tenochtitlan seems so stale and lifeless to me; I seriously think a ruined Tenochtitlan would show more life, but you should add thinks like lattice roofs, small objects, more plants, just some evidence that it's lived in and not all pale, grey colors.
  • Luketh%s's Photo
    Aight, I don't know much about good vs bad in LL, but those screens make me wanna play it.

PS: Classy avatar choice, Rob.
  • JDP%s's Photo
    i like it a lot pie. nice work
    -JDP
  • Liampie%s's Photo

First screen looks great! I would suggest to add some supports for the nets above the terrace in the top-right of the screen and I think there are a tad too much of the pink flowers.

On the one hand I agree about the nets, on the other hand I don't think I can add supports that won't look terribly ugly. I'd rather keep it clean. I also agree about the flowers, it's too much. I'll have to redo the foliage here!

The second screen's colours seem odd to me, not a fan of the Invert colours one bit, also seems a bit random in object selection, but hey ho, still a nice screen and the maze looks great.

I'm not 100% confident with the colours in this area either, but I just love the colours of the coaster itself so I don't want to change it. Maybe I just have to look for new colours here and reuse the old colour scheme in another project.

I love the third screen! The others are a bit too chaotic for me.

I think you'll like it better when you see the whole park. It's quite dense, but organized as well.

Amazing stuff, Im sure Montezuma would be proud of your work :lol:

:lol:

Although i find having all those random objects like chess pieces to be a slight eyesore. Maybe that's jus me though

Probably... Except for some barrels every object has a purpose.

Tenochtitlan seems so stale and lifeless to me; I seriously think a ruined Tenochtitlan would show more life, but you should add thinks like lattice roofs, small objects, more plants, just some evidence that it's lived in and not all pale, grey colors.

Hey man you're right. I realised I could use mine train for awnings (probably looks great!) too late when the whole area was there already. I think I'll do it anyway now. Further I'll expand the market area and put more stuff on the paths. I'll do my best to add more life!

Thanks for the kind words everyone! Glad you all like it!
  • Milo%s's Photo
    Tenochtitlan is like a modern day Elrocko or Butter heh...

there's a lot to like in these screens but I agree parts are a little sterile. You have all the ingredients for a vibrant atmosphere, I just think you need to pull things together a bit more.
  • Airtime%s's Photo
    Glad to see LL about.

The first screen is nice but there's one or two things that's putting me off. The amount of flowers overpowers the screen and I also don't like the amount of checkered grey tile used.

Second screen is nice but I think the monorail should go diagonal and not use the small turns repeatedly, it cuts the screen up a little like it is currently, diaganol might make it look a little better? I like the use of the side-frictoin track in there as well as the balloon stall I can see added into the foliage? Nice idea.

The last screen is just great! Very well done. Another simple but good idea with the mini-golf course.
  • Liampie%s's Photo
    All criticism has been taken into consideration. Thanks everyone.

Semi arid landscape from the Sana'a area, home to nomads and robbers. Not as good as the previous screens, but I think it'll make more sense if you see the rest of the area. For now it's a fun supporting sub-area.

Posted Image

Sana'a writeup in the next update, hopefully with new screens from Tenochtitlan as well.
  • SSSammy%s's Photo
    bump in track=no thanks. imagine that. it'd break your collar bones
    there doesn't seem to be anything going on with the landscaping either...
    barrel spam.

colours are great.
    top spin great.
  • posix%s's Photo
    Liking the half-burried ride. Nice idea. Other than that pretty featureless I have to say, even if aesthetically worthwhile.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading