(Archive) Advertising District / So I'm packing my bags for the Smoky Mountains

• Dimi%s's Photo
    This new solo will be heavily inspired by Dollywood, a park where I've of course never been to. At first I didn't intend to build something releasable, but now I'm beyond 'cancel point' and I'll probably finish it in a year or so. I won't try to simply imitate real-life pictures, but I will use roughly the same park layout and ride concepts.

Some months ago you might already have seen an unfinished screen of Squirrel & G-Man's Trail of Terror, based on Mystery Mine, but now the ride is finished.

Posted Image
  • SSSammy%s's Photo
    nice.
  • wheres_walto%s's Photo
    I could stare at that for ages
  • tyandor%s's Photo
    I remember the preview of that you posted some time back. This bigger and more finished screen is more impressive than it already was. The texture work is really spot on
  • JJ%s's Photo
    Wonderful work Dimi
  • Liampie%s's Photo
    This is quite fantastic, but I think it would be even better if you didn't use any blue and red for that one facade and the water tank. They keep the area from looking like the abandoned mine you're going for. Water tank: white. Blue building: brown (the greyish one) with black or the same brown roof.

How big is the map? :)
  • BC(rct2)%s's Photo
    Love that picture!
  • Cocoa%s's Photo
    That's really awesome. Never having been to Dollywood though, I imagine it will be hard to get the atmosphere just perfect. You need a healthy mix of american progressivism while still keeping the architectural style old-fashioned. Darker trees and paths help to make the park feel more wooded and cozy, and try and add plenty of stalls to the paths. I remember in silver dollar city there is an entire street just filled with old-fashioned style stalls just like a farmer's market, but with novelty items. And remember this isn't a western theme- stray away from the classic way of building western themes, because this is different.

So that's just some advice for the building process. What you have so far is amazing, keep it up! Just maybe don't use red rocks/black rocks for the whole park, just do it in this section, because the actual park isn't really like that.
  • Steve%s's Photo
    I agree with Liam on everything he has said. Also, why's the water tank so high up on the building? I'd rather see a separate, more developed water tower next to the building. Maybe have it sprung a leak to create a little water-play area for the kids on hot days. Still, pretty nice work here.
  • posix%s's Photo
    Convincing theming = job well done. Also think it's healthy not to replicate pictures too much but just be inspired by them. I for once think the colours you added are nice and sort of like a down toned Cocoa. I hope to see more of this soon.
  • JDP%s's Photo
    whoa man you really got something going here. keep it up it looks great
    -JDP
  • FredD%s's Photo
    That just looks fantastic!
  • Goliath123%s's Photo
    gee the fuck up, this shizzles mint man!
  • J K%s's Photo
    Your best work yet for sure.
  • Angroc%s's Photo
    Dat screen. :bandit:
  • Dimi%s's Photo
    Wow thanks for all the positive feedback!

@ Liampie: you're right about the water tank, it looks better in white. I won't change the blue building though, I think it's exactly the use of the bright blue between all the dull brown and green that creates the atmosphere. The map is 125x125, but it won't be fully covered with theme park.
    @ Cocoa: thanks for all the suggestions. I have to say that it's not my aim to recreate Dollywood's atmosphere though (I hardly know Dollywood's atmosphere). I'd rather make my own Dollywood with my own atmosphere, using ideas and compositions from the real Dollywood that attract me. I like to have a quite detailled blueprint which I can fill in the way I want. For example, I really like this foliage and I think it fits the theme, even though it doesn't look like a real Tennessee forest. The red rocks won't be used throughout the whole park, except when I think they fit well. There will be a more 'classic' western zone and parts with many stalls, but not in this part of the park.
    @ Steve: the water tank is on the building because I wanted to have something different on the roof and I thought a water tank would look good. It's just a decoration. There will be another more developed water tank close to the ride. Then there will be two water tanks in total, of course, but that doesn't matter to me, as long as it looks good. The water leak is a great idea, thanks!
  • chorkiel%s's Photo
    That must be one of the best screens in a while.
  • trav%s's Photo
    I love that.
  • geewhzz%s's Photo
    this is nice
  • coasterfreak101%s's Photo
    Yeah, definitely fantastic. Wow.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading