General Chat / NE 2012 U.S. Election discussion.

Democracy

• Austin55%s's Photo
    I cant think of any creative way to start this thread so...
    Discuss.
  • Xeccah%s's Photo
    Gary johnson 2012

I'm libertarian
  • Austin55%s's Photo
    He has no chance to win, but it would be interesting to see a third party make a difference.

EDIT-
    Gary Johnson voters have two options
    -Vote for him, waste a vote for a primary candiadte, but add to the libertarian parties legitimacy for future elections.
    -Vote for Romney, actually make a difference between Obama and Romney, but have no influence on bringing out third parties.

I'm considering these two options myself.
  • Xeccah%s's Photo

He has no chance to win

true

so im going with romney because atm economic issues > social issues
  • wheres_walto%s's Photo
    Posted Image

Willard in a nutshell.
  • Midnight Aurora%s's Photo
    I'm generally left of the Democratic Party, so I need to read up on the political stances of the Green Party. Otherwise, I'm undecided on voting for Obama, or spending my vote on a Ron Paul or Gary Johnson write in to give third party candidates that much more perceived legitimacy in future elections, especially since my state is likely to go blue anyway.

But yeah, debates. Everyone knows who they're voting for. This is just political theater.
  • MorganFan%s's Photo
    Romney would fuck shit up, but Obama can't do anything because of Congress and The House.
    I still think Obama has a better chance of making America better.

Trickle down economics doesn't work and never has. And it pisses people off.
  • Ling%s's Photo
    The president is not as powerful a position as everyone seems to believe.

It doesn't matter who is in office, what side their on, or what their policy viewpoints are. Congress will always block any large changes.

The only thing that really bothers me is the recent religious fanaticism the conservatives seem to have adopted. Oh, that and Romney and Ryan simply telling so many lies so rapidly that it's impossible to fact-check them every step of the way until these speeches and debates are long over.
  • Gwazi%s's Photo
    Let me just say that it pains me seeing our nation's "best" interrupting each other on the debate floor like a couple immature five-year olds. I hate debates, not like they change anything in our ridiculously partisan society anyway. Nobody has an open mind about anything, they just eat up whatever they're told by the party they were born and socialized into without actually thinking about anything.
  • Ling%s's Photo
    That might be true if people weren't statistically less party affiliated now than ever before. It's not about the parties, it's about the positions themselves and the candidates.

I didn't hear there was another presidential debate until it had already started, and I was at a school thing for my girlfriend so I figured I'd watch it when I got home - but now I can't find it anywhere. I wasn't able to watch the first presidential debate or VP debate either, I never hear about the damn things until the next day.
  • panther33%s's Photo
    I dont like either of them, but whoever it is, is my future boss. I just pray he doesnt fuck it up. But I know for a fact we will be at war with the middle east within the next 3 years. Sad to say but I have that feeling. And I know I'd end up going too.
  • Louis!%s's Photo
    Go Mr O!
  • trav%s's Photo
    Obama is definitely the way to go.
  • Liampie%s's Photo
    Anything but Romney.

I would love to see a new political system in the US, based on proportional representation, making room for new parties. No more of this fake democracy.
  • Dr_Dude%s's Photo

true

so im going with romney because atm economic issues > social issues

oh god this makes me want to vomit. the president hardly impacts the economy, but is often a catalyst or barrier of concrete social change. the two parties basically have the exact same populist economic platform anyway
  • Xeccah%s's Photo
    It doesnt matter much when you accredit the all "obama's faults" are 90% congress

the only reason i'm attracted to romney is the fact that he's got stuff done during gridlock
  • posix%s's Photo
    I try to avoid listening to the news reports about the US. Hearing the speeches of republicans and all the fascist hate they carry in their misled hearts gets me depressed. I pray in silence that Obama will win.
  • Casimir%s's Photo
    Obama. Because Romney has "binders full of women", he doesn't need us.

http://www.theatlant...mething/263740/
  • Gwazi%s's Photo

That might be true if people weren't statistically less party affiliated now than ever before. It's not about the parties, it's about the positions themselves and the candidates.

I didn't hear there was another presidential debate until it had already started, and I was at a school thing for my girlfriend so I figured I'd watch it when I got home - but now I can't find it anywhere. I wasn't able to watch the first presidential debate or VP debate either, I never hear about the damn things until the next day.

How'd they get those statistics? People reporting their party affiliation?

It's the "cool" thing to be independent now, so people are more likely to report that they are unaffiliated without actually changing their views. Most people I know who claim they are unaffiliated still vote the same way each election regardless of the candidates themselves.

I'm all for a proportional representation system.
  • chorkiel%s's Photo
    I try to follow the US elections but it rather annoys me that instead of the actual best,
    the president of the us will most likely always be the shiniest of two turds.

I did think this was quite funny though.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading