-Jak and Daxter
    -Crazy Taxi
    -Uncharted 2
    -Uncharted 3
    -Left 4 Dead
    -Left 4 Dead 2
    -StuntMan
  • Wanted%s's Photo

Rapture set the bar for a vibrant world but Columbia raised it.

+1
    I didn't think it was possible, but you really hit the nail on the head here.
  • tyandor%s's Photo

Yep, Bioshock Infinite is now right up there as one of my favorite games, and probably entertainment experiences, ever. Rapture set the bar for a vibrant world but Columbia raised it. Few games really create a unique experience of telling a truly moving as well as interactive story, but thankfully this franchise is showing how successful a medium it SHOULD be.

I wish I would get to play it, but alas my PC can't handle it and I refuse to play it on my PS3. I hate playing shooters on console and TBH with a game like this I want to see it in all its blazing glory. I'm a sucker for Steampunk and A-grade art direction in general, so sadly I'll probably be missing out on this greatness for now.
    Loved BioShock as well, although it was a bit repetitive at times. Pretty much one of the last high-end games my PC could run at a decent level (I always refuse to play in a lower res than native at least)
    Still have 2 lying around as well. Hell I still have a to do list of games I really want to play, but don't have money for a decent PC for a while.
  • RMM%s's Photo

Rapture set the bar for a vibrant world but Columbia raised it.

literally.

the bioshock series are the only games that rival the feeling of when i first popped in super mario 64 as a child. the combination of ken levine's vison, 2k games' trust, and irrational games' execution is nothing short of amazing. bioshock isn't just a game, it's an experience... fucking incredible.
  • Cocoa%s's Photo
    my thoughts now are: where are they going to go next?? going back to the ocean, sky, or outer space will will be compared to rapture and colombia and system shock. where else is left? on a mountain? cave? desert? Or is the bioshock series finished, something new taking its place for next gen?
  • Milo%s's Photo
    I was thinking about that as well. I hope they don't do space or try a future sci fi thing because I really like the early 1900s look and sound. I'd like to see maybe a city underground, geo-thermal steampunk or something.

I'm sure there will be another one. But we'll probably see Half Life 3 before the next one. Maybe.

Speaking of Half Life, it's like an ultimate deathmatch between Half Life 2 (and episodes)and Bioshock Infinite for my favorite franchise installment. But imo Alyx > Elizabeth if only because she's slightly less contrived.
  • Wanted%s's Photo

I was thinking about that as well. I hope they don't do space or try a future sci fi thing because I really like the early 1900s look and sound. I'd like to see maybe a city underground, geo-thermal steampunk or something.

Yeah, I think the only 3 options left are underground, volcanic, or in extremely cold temp (Antarctica). But, I think Ken Levine will stop the BioShock series after Infinite.
  • Cocoa%s's Photo
    Well I finished the game today. I was afraid that all of the massive hype over the end would ultimately leave me dissapointed.

Goddamn was I wrong. I'm absolutely speechless... I've pretty much spent all day reading as much about every single part of game as possible. The last game I did that with was the original bioshock :)/>/>

spoilers: (highlight the text, its white)
    Just one amazing little detail that I would never have noticed is that the name luteces comes from the old gaulish word for paris, Lutèce. the luteces were semi-killed by fink, leaving them wandering through space-time. perhaps in the same way elizabeth has met this fate, able to explore the wonder of every world (just as she longed to explore paris). this tiny detail gives such a glimmer of hope to an otherwise sad ending. these sort of things are what makes bioshock great end spoiler!

so yes, this game certainly enters my top three somewhere.

also, I reckon they will definitely delve farther into the past for the next game. I read that they originally wanted infinite to be set in the renaissance, until AC2 showed up and they decided against it. imperial steampunk japan? who knows? plus, I'm super excited to see what the hell the DLC is going to be. so many opportunities....

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading