General Chat / Another mall shootout (Oregon/Portland)

• Arjan v l%s's Photo
    RMM ,somehow you always make me laugh.
    Perfect statement ,i didn't think that far ahead this time. :lol:
  • Jaguar%s's Photo

which leads me to a theory... that maybe most other 'intelligent life' similar to us destroys itself and its environment before actually being able to reach other environments, aka planets with intelligent life. and maybe this is how the universe keeps itself balanced, like mother nature on earth; but on a much bigger scale. the phrase 'too smart for your own good' is really just a general description of mankind.

Reminds me of the Fermi Paradox. We may be the first intelligent life forms. This also proves that travelling back in time is impossible, otherwise we would be seeing "time tourists" and highly advanced technology in the present day.
  • Casimir%s's Photo
    We don't see time travelers, because every decision everyone of us makes every second generates another (theoretical) alternate universe. Which means there is an incredible amount of different versions of all of us out there, who just made another decision somewhere in the past. Which of course means that the versions of us that communicate over NE just happen to live in a universe where there wasn't a time traveller yet.
    According to the string theory, that is.
  • RMM%s's Photo

Reminds me of the Fermi Paradox. We may be the first intelligent life forms. This also proves that travelling back in time is impossible, otherwise we would be seeing "time tourists" and highly advanced technology in the present day.

wow, super, super interesting stuff there. especially once i got to the zoo hypothesis and planetarium hypothesis. and i thought to myself, 'all of these theories act as if other intelligent life is similar to us, being carbon-based lifeforms and all'... and then i got to the 'they're too alien' part.

the thought that extra-terrestrial civilizations may look at planets, or even entire solar systems, as we look at countries or continents is mind-blowing.

god damn, i wish i could find people outside of the internet that find this shit interesting. i'm still following link to link to link. awesome shit.
  • Liampie%s's Photo

wow, super, super interesting stuff there. especially once i got to the zoo hypothesis and planetarium hypothesis. and i thought to myself, 'all of these theories act as if other intelligent life is similar to us, being carbon-based lifeforms and all'... and then i got to the 'they're too alien' part.

the thought that extra-terrestrial civilizations may look at planets, or even entire solar systems, as we look at countries or continents is mind-blowing.

god damn, i wish i could find people outside of the internet that find this shit interesting. i'm still following link to link to link. awesome shit.

Hahaha same here. When I finally closed all my wikipedia (and related) tabs I stumbled upon this NE topic. I was so busy thinking about life that I forgot we were discussing guns here.

Also, I feel depressed that I'll most likely never see some significant progress on this topic. I want to see the future so badly.
  • Arjan v l%s's Photo
    ^^ Well... then just jump through a wormhole. :p
  • Jaguar%s's Photo

Also, I feel depressed that I'll most likely never see some significant progress on this topic. I want to see the future so badly.

Liampie, that is what science fiction (and to a certain extent, fantasy) is meant for. Most people are unaware of the fact that the electronics they use are almost certainly inspired by science fiction. As an example, cell-phones, are quite popular, but would there be an iphone without the "Communicator" from Star Trek? In all honesty, it is pretty frustrating as well, so many idiots I know that need a reality check own I-pads and such, yet they look in disdain to all the geeks that made it possible. I'm sure none of them would be caught dead watching Clarke's "2001- Space Odyssey," which created the "Newspad", the concept of the I-pad. In other words, Science fiction + Geeks = Engineers = electronics = dulled down population that doesn't know any better.

The real world sucks to be frank, and the sad part is; famine, poverty, disease, and development really aren't hard problems to solve, we are more than capable. I also wouldn't want to see the far future, chances are that it'll be bleak and unpredictable. Someone from the turn of the century would stare in awe if a time traveler came from the present carrying a cellphone, digital watch, and synthetic clothing.

Wow, I've really gotten off topic.
  • MEGAMINDY%s's Photo
    This made my day. I hope i does the same for you guys.
    Posted Image
  • Jaguar%s's Photo
    ^What the hell does that have to do with the topic? We are talking about extra-terrestrial civilizations and space travel. Stay the hell on topic!
  • Midnight Aurora%s's Photo
    On topic: http://www.nytimes.c...wanted=all&_r=0

Again, nothing to see here. Don't change a thing. The laws are working.
  • RMM%s's Photo
    the dude was a nut. no law can change that fact.
  • Coaster Cow%s's Photo
    I live in Rochester, that took place right next to Seabreeze, the local amusement park. The man had been in jail for 20 years because he beat his grandmother to death with a hammer, and the rumor floating around is that the fire was set to destroy the evidence of him killing his sister. The firetrucks came too soon, he opened fire.

Crazy world.
  • Chrixz%s's Photo
    'As a felon, Mr. Spengler was prohibited from owning guns' well there you go this is what should be done in the USA there should be much more control on who actually buys weapons, because as you can see not everyone deserves the right to own a weapon. I hope the law on weapons/guns changes soon because this is going out of control with innocent victims and insane violence! Make it stop!
  • Austin55%s's Photo
    ^Did he buy the weapon?

Yep yep, really is time for regs. My dad's a firefighter so this pisses me off. This dude sounds pretty fucked up. Well I guess pretty much anyone who shoots up people is but even moreso.
  • Jaguar%s's Photo
    It just disturbs me because of the fact that he killed firemen. Am I the only one that finds it odd how these killers are always after people that are either vulnerable (ex: children) or vital for our society (ex: firemen).
  • Midnight Aurora%s's Photo

the dude was a nut. no law can change that fact.

And why aren't there as many nuts in other countries shooting each other up? Say if someone went crazy in England, how many firefighters do you think he could take down with a knife?
  • ScOtLaNdS_FiNeSt%s's Photo
    People dont go crazy in england though... They get really mad but have tea and crumpets instead of going on a killing spree.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading