General Chat / Another mall shootout (Oregon/Portland)

• Scoop%s's Photo
    sorry thats just what I see.
    I have had a lot of drama lately which is why it came on strong.
    Won't happen again.
  • Wanted%s's Photo
    Say no to guns, and yes to pot! It all becomes clear after that. Down with guns!
  • Austin55%s's Photo
    Another random public shooting at a theater today in San Antonio. 2 injured, the gunman was shot and stopped by an off duty officer who was carrying.

http://www.mysananto...ing-4122668.php
  • RMM%s's Photo

the gunman was shot and stopped by an off duty officer who was carrying.

must've been outta golf club swinging distance.
  • Austin55%s's Photo
    Why the hell would you bring a golf club to a theater?
  • Louis!%s's Photo
    ^I take my hockey stick with me every where I go just in case there's a gun maniac. Although in the UK we don't have much gun trouble so I'm really only defending myself against another person with a hockey stick.
  • Steve%s's Photo

Sure there's a difference in the individuals in those situations, but the car and the gun are no different in that they harmed others.

and um hunting, recreation, or for sport? all some other purposes.

Yeah, sure, guns and cars kill, but the car wasn't made specifically for that. I don't know, I don't find it a just comparison.

Those are stupid purposes, I'm sorry. I'm not one to usually discard people's opinions on what they enjoy but hunting is just ridiculous to me and well, if you want sport and recreation go ride a bike or hit some baseballs. You know, instead of killing living things.
  • Wanted%s's Photo

Yeah, sure, guns and cars kill, but the car wasn't made specifically for that. I don't know, I don't find it a just comparison.

Those are stupid purposes, I'm sorry. I'm not one to usually discard people's opinions on what they enjoy but hunting is just ridiculous to me and well, if you want sport and recreation go ride a bike or hit some baseballs. You know, instead of killing living things.

Amen. It's such a bizarre hobby...
  • dr dirt%s's Photo
    I guess thats your opinions, but I mean shooting is an olympic sport... and you don't just go out hunting to kill as many random things as possible. It actually keeps wildlife populations in check. also eating the meat is always delicious.
  • Wicksteed%s's Photo
    but then you still kill living things. that its necessary to hunt in order to keep wildlife (if thats still really wild then, but whatever...) populations "in check" is true, but it is a sad necessity imo, and it still is killing. Vegetarian food is also delicious.
  • 5dave%s's Photo
    Since when nature isn't able to keep wildlife populations in check? If anything IMO humans population should be in check since its the only race destroying the planet. Can't say that from deer and elks, can you?

"MFG"
  • BelgianGuy%s's Photo
    my like goes to you wick
    animal population is just another sad excuse for hunters to go shoot innocent animals
    I mean we don't need to do it for the meat, we have excess of food, look at america alone and the size of half the nations inhabitants....

Dave, I wish this site had a like button somewhere cuz you're speaking the truth...

I actually once watched a documentary of an african tribe where men and women needed to earn the right to have kids, the had to do some seriously weird and challenging tests to have the right to have kids, and frankly seeing the world as it's going I actually would see it as a good thing people would need to eanr the right have kids again, since so many people have kids and don't treat them well, molest their own children, sometimes the genes are also of high standards(sarcasm) and I think the world would be better off with a selection process for being able to have kids...
  • Austin55%s's Photo
    Heh, I don't get hunting either. I've gone on several trips with friends and 95% of it isn't shooting animals, it's camping, talking and shooting tree's. It sucks. Every time I've gone we killed more deer with the truck. I feel so bad for the deer.
    So I don't like it either. I don't like it.

But I don't want to take it a way from people either. If they want to, there are rules and regulations to it, they get food out of it, they aren't shooting people and being responsible, I just don't see why not.
    Also, the "keeping deer populations in check" is pretty BS in most cases.

Lots of other stuff coming out in the news
    Discovery pulls "American Guns" and "Ted Nugent"
    Bushmaster owner Cerburus puts it for sale
    Dicks Sporting goods freezes gun sales
    Obama backs Assualt weapons ban
  • Milo%s's Photo
    Most deer hunters that I've dealt with around here have been very responsible people whose goal is to kill an animal as quickly and cleanly as possible (either with a rifle or a bow). Some more than others have a fascination with antlers as a trophy but overall I'd say meat and population control is the main concern when hunting. It's sort of a social event for families when the season rolls around. Many people hunt on their own land or the state forest that covers much of this part of the state. Poaching and hunting purely for trophies is rare and pretty much frowned upon. The vast majority of deer killed are butchered for the meat and venison could be described as a seasonal treat.

The farmer who lives across from my parent's place actually opened up a licensed butcher shop. It's very well done, very modern with all stainless steel surfaces and sliding hooks. It's professionally cleaned every evening. My stepfather actually did some work over there a month back when deer season was in full swing because they needed the extra hands with all the deer people were having processed. The guy said he actually had nearly broke even on his business venture in one year as deer season is a hectic time and the rest of the year local farmers have cattle or hogs processed at his shop.

I've never enjoyed killing animals but there is certainly a primal feeling when you get an animal in your sights. But mostly it is freezing your balls off at 6 in the morning, sitting up in a tree. Venison is quite tasty, though, so it can be worth it. I've also raised and butchered several different types of animals: chickens, pigs and goats. My family is happy to have a local professional butcher our meat, especially our cows as without pulleys it can get unwieldy, but it's certainly something that can be done at home. It's never fun and when it's your own animal, it can even be difficult emotionally at times, but raising an animal with as good a life as our farm can provide and killing it as humanely as possible is always our first priority. And we try to use up as much as the animal has to offer, at least when it concerns the meat.
  • Comet%s's Photo

Since when nature isn't able to keep wildlife populations in check? If anything IMO humans population should be in check since its the only race destroying the planet. Can't say that from deer and elks, can you?

"MFG"

Yeah I guess if you're talking about the food chain and circle of life and that shit then nature is able to keep wildlife populations in check, but that's not what is being referred to by overpopulation. It isn't the most pleasant thing when you're going 70 mph down a highway and all of a sudden you have deer antlers going through your windhsield. Also to say that there's enough food at stores and we don't need to hunt for food is like saying you shouldn't be allowed to have vegetable gardens in your yard because there's already enough vegetables at the store. Killing a deer gives family free meat for months and some people have a pride in killing their own meat like some people have a pride in growing their own produce. As for killing innocent animals, what makes an animal born in the wild anymore innocent than one born on a farm...how soft are we getting?

That being said I would not have the stomach or interest to shoot and a kill a deer. But I won't deny the benefits and I think it's ignorant to hate on people for it
  • Louis!%s's Photo

I think the world would be better off with a selection process for being able to have kids...

lol didn't someone else have some sort of selection process for things like that which resulted in a war?
  • Arjan v l%s's Photo

"MFG"

I'm totally with you on that.

Someone rarely thinks like that ,impressive.
    Animals are the ones that live in harmony with mother nature.
    The only reason why there are problems with animals (asian carp in amerika for instance ,destroying native species ,the killerbee etc. are caused because of human interference)
    If there weren't humans on this planet ,then it would still be a clean and lovely world.
    We humans ruin everything.
    Destroying is in our nature.
  • Jaguar%s's Photo
    Oh for Christ sake, this is turning into an argument of animal rights and the environment. That's what I call a thread mutation.

Also, if you are concerned about the environment, guns literally have no impact. Quit driving your car. Suburban sprawl is one of the biggest and most ignored problems in the U.S. but farming itself is among the worst things for the environment, so hunting for food is probably better for the environment than buying a dead cow that was likely filled with hormones, treated poorly, and destroyed the vegetation around it. There are some parts of the U.S. (Hawaii, Maine, Vermont) that are incredibly clean as well.

Ah shit, I'm now off-topic as well.
  • RMM%s's Photo

I'm totally with you on that.

Someone rarely thinks like that ,impressive.
    Animals are the ones that live in harmony with mother nature.
    The only reason why there are problems with animals (asian carp in amerika for instance ,destroying native species ,the killerbee etc. are caused because of human interference)
    If there weren't humans on this planet ,then it would still be a clean and lovely world.
    We humans ruin everything.
    Destroying is in our nature.

which leads me to a theory... that maybe most other 'intelligent life' similar to us destroys itself and its environment before actually being able to reach other environments, aka planets with intelligent life. and maybe this is how the universe keeps itself balanced, like mother nature on earth; but on a much bigger scale. the phrase 'too smart for your own good' is really just a general description of mankind.

i'd elaborate (babble on) but i have no weed.
  • 5dave%s's Photo
    ^Great thinking, haha!

"MFG"

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading