Contests / NE Contest Survey

First of all, would you like a contest to happen in the near future?

1. Yes 69 votes [81.18%]
    Percentage of vote: 81.18%
  2. No 3 votes [3.53%]
    Percentage of vote: 3.53%
  3. It doesnt matter to me 13 votes [15.29%]
    Percentage of vote: 15.29%

Secondly, if a contest was held would you be likely to participate?

1. Very likely 18 votes [21.18%]
    Percentage of vote: 21.18%
  2. Likely 15 votes [17.65%]
    Percentage of vote: 17.65%
  3. Depends on what the contest is/when it takes place etc. 40 votes [47.06%]
    Percentage of vote: 47.06%
  4. Unlikely 8 votes [9.41%]
    Percentage of vote: 9.41%
  5. Highly unlikely 4 votes [4.71%]
    Percentage of vote: 4.71%

If we decided to hold a contest, how large a timespan would you prefer it to take place over?

1. 1 - 3 Weeks 5 votes [5.88%]
    Percentage of vote: 5.88%
  2. 1 - 2 Months 38 votes [44.71%]
    Percentage of vote: 44.71%
  3. 3 - 6 Months 19 votes [22.35%]
    Percentage of vote: 22.35%
  4. 6 - 12 Months 3 votes [3.53%]
    Percentage of vote: 3.53%
  5. 12 Months + 1 vote [1.18%]
    Percentage of vote: 1.18%
  6. It doesnt matter to me 19 votes [22.35%]
    Percentage of vote: 22.35%

Would prize money encourage you to participate in a contest?

1. It would encourage me to participate and encourage me to finish an entry 14 votes [16.47%]
    Percentage of vote: 16.47%
  2. It would encourage me to participate but not necessarily finish 8 votes [9.41%]
    Percentage of vote: 9.41%
  3. It doesnt matter to me 38 votes [44.71%]
    Percentage of vote: 44.71%
  4. Offering prize money would be ridiculous 25 votes [29.41%]
    Percentage of vote: 29.41%

We have a large history of successful contest formats, if a contest was run would you prefer to see a new contest or one we have previously held?

1. Brand new contest 15 votes [17.65%]
  2. A new twist on a previous classic 25 votes [29.41%]
    Percentage of vote: 29.41%
  3. A New Element Classic 15 votes [17.65%]
  4. It doesnt matter to me 30 votes [35.29%]
    Percentage of vote: 35.29%

If we revisited a previous contest, which from the list appeals to you most?

1. Pro Tour 29 votes [34.12%]
    Percentage of vote: 34.12%
  2. Micro Madness 18 votes [21.18%]
    Percentage of vote: 21.18%
  3. Hi-Rollers 7 votes [8.24%]
    Percentage of vote: 8.24%
  4. Blockbuster Challenge 10 votes [11.76%]
    Percentage of vote: 11.76%
  5. New Element Design Challenge 21 votes [24.71%]
    Percentage of vote: 24.71%

Contests can take various forms regarding format style and the games used, from the list which appeal to you most? (You can select multiple choices)

1. [Game Choice] All Game Formats 53 votes [14.21%]
    Percentage of vote: 14.21%
  2. [Game Choice] LL Only 9 votes [2.41%]
    Percentage of vote: 2.41%
  3. [Game Choice] RCT2 Only 23 votes [6.17%]
    Percentage of vote: 6.17%
  4. [Game Choice] NCSO Only 18 votes [4.83%]
    Percentage of vote: 4.83%
  5. [Contest Style] Solo Contest 42 votes [11.26%]
    Percentage of vote: 11.26%
  6. [Contest Style] Duo Contest 29 votes [7.77%]
    Percentage of vote: 7.77%
  7. [Contest Style] Mix of Solo/Duo 32 votes [8.58%]
    Percentage of vote: 8.58%
  8. [Contest Style] Team Contest 30 votes [8.04%]
    Percentage of vote: 8.04%
  9. [Contest Format] Single Round Contest (eg. NEDC) 35 votes [9.38%]
    Percentage of vote: 9.38%
  10. [Contest Format] Multiple Round Contest (eg. rounds give points, winner = most points after all rounds) 33 votes [8.85%]
    Percentage of vote: 8.85%
  11. [Contest Format] Elimination Contest (eg. Micro Madness) 37 votes [9.92%]
    Percentage of vote: 9.92%
  12. [Contest Format] Qualifier Contest (eg. Pro Tour) 32 votes [8.58%]
    Percentage of vote: 8.58%
  • zburns999%s's Photo
    Bring back Micro Madness!
  • csw%s's Photo
    Obviously I haven't been around that long so I haven't been in any contests, but it should probably be a solo/duo contest, since H2H is teams. I would like to see such limitations such as NCSO only or no trainer use, but I doubt that would generate much approval
  • Austin55%s's Photo
    I'd really like to have the option to work as a duo or team even. I would absolutely 100% participate, and I feel pretty confident I'd be able to complete something, even more so with other people. Monetary awards would really help to lol.
  • nin%s's Photo
    We should try to get this going by the time RCTcon rolls around. Would be awesome.
  • Cocoa%s's Photo
    I would love another blockbuster sort of challenge. Maybe with video games added in or something too.

A tournament style thing also appeals to me, as long as its short-ish.

Pro tour to me seems like it tends to flop. Maybe the last one was just poorly executed though.

I like the idea of duo teams though. Maybe you could have a different partner each round? Or you could do a duo qftb sort of thing.

Wow, are there only six active gold+ people? that seems... wrong somehow. Anyway, I would be in if it were silver! That seems so unlikely, my silver park is a piece of shit.

Also, Liam, I love the idea of 1v1v1v1 micros. Maybe top two could go through, or something like that?
  • gir%s's Photo
    Doubt this will ever happen again (and I don't really think it should happen again), but I've always thought that Park Wars was the most interesting contest.
  • Angroc%s's Photo

hooray for auto-qualifying :D/>/>/>

I second the notion that we're at a good stage for a contest that has some merit outside the normal accolades. I would like to see structured, small-scale challenges that encourage some less-traveled aspects of RCT. Something like the QFTBX rounds; small but rigid requirements that force entrants to think a little more creatively. I feel like NEDC is heading in that direction with theme requirements, but I want to be able to build something that doesn't fit neatly into the Design/Park expectations for once.

To clarify; I don't want a big multi-round bracket ordeal.
    I want a month-long "build the best log ride using yellow as a track color."
    I want a "build a non-looping design on this map without altering any land tiles."
    I want a "Build a 40x40 park using green water."
    Force some creative constraints, keep the entry bar low, let people get out of their comfort zone as an exercise to make them better designers.

Never had the chance to experience any of these other contests people are talking about, but this sounds pretty neat. It's almost like a throwback to the original scenarios in RCT/LL, and adds jolly good RCT fun to a website whose professionalism can be a bit stifling at times.

A park with whatever theme or idea is something I do on my own time anyway, so this makes sense to me.
  • Louis!%s's Photo
    Holy shit, 64 votes. Blimey!

So far the majority seems to be leaning towards having a contest take place over 1-6 months with quite a lot of people likely to participate (depending on the contest).

Prize money doesn't seem to be a big need, which is nice to hear that the community isn't money driven :p and people tend to want a previous classic or a twist on one rather than anything brand new.

Now this is where the tricky part comes in because there's lots of data to analyse and some of it seems to contradict. In terms of previous contests people would like to see it seems the most popular vote is Pro Tour, followed by NEDC & Micro Madness. But when it comes to voting on contest format, each one is practically equal, which is interesting to note. I'd say it suggests more people are after a larger style contest when combining the results of the two. It's clear that whatever contest it is all games will be involved (it was most likely going to be like that anyway), and it seems that a combination of Solo/Duo is more appropriate.

The survey is still open, so votes can still be cast, but I guess now is the time when we will start thinking these thoughts through.
  • Maverick%s's Photo
    A new version of park wars is possible. I would suggest starting everyone with the same original (old/incomplete/scenario) park and you can do weekly updates to each. You can even combine other ideas in as restrictions for the goal of that week. Keep things small and fast paced so interest is maintained. $0.02
  • Louis!%s's Photo
    Park wars has been tried 2 (maybe even 3) times and it's failed miserably every single time.
  • Maverick%s's Photo
    Because it was done wrong? I only participated in the first idea of park wars briefly. Not saying this new contest should be park wars, just saying there is a way to do it right.

Edit: keep in mind, I have no idea what Pro Tour or Hi Rollers contests are like.
  • ][ntamin22%s's Photo
    More things I want to see happen:

Contestants all get the same CUSTOM1.WAV file and must create a design to match the chosen music
    24-hour park challenge
    heck even a 1-hour challenge would be an interesting experiment
    Blind collabo/duo
    build the other half of this dueler
    build the best NE-style park out of this scenario with no added cash
  • chorkiel%s's Photo
    ^Those seem like brilliant ideas!
  • nin%s's Photo

Contestants all get the same CUSTOM1.WAV file and must create a design to match the chosen music
    24-hour park challenge
    heck even a 1-hour challenge would be an interesting experiment
    Blind collabo/duo
    build the other half of this dueler
    build the best NE-style park out of this scenario with no added cash

All of theses sound awesome, especially interested in the last one. Even if that wasn't an official contest, it'd be really cool to see.

I also fully endorse the music file idea.
  • dr dirt%s's Photo
    It's looking like I'll be able to play RCT again soon, and I'd be down for a contest. I think a duo QFTB would be sick. Could even throw in a pre-made layout like with Design Contest to incorporate that too.
  • Austin55%s's Photo
    A blind collab could be awesome, ahaha.
  • Cocoa%s's Photo
    I love the blind collab idea!

You mentioned one hour challenges: I've had this idea for a while, but sort of forgot about it. It would be a tournament contest. To qualify you would have to build something in maybe 12 hours (have to accomodate for different time zones, or I guess you could just stagger when the hour starts for each part of the world?). Then in round one you would get one day to make something, then round two you would get two days, etc. You would have to do something to the map to make before sending it out to make sure that it was worked on in the correct time period, like hide something underground.
  • Maverick%s's Photo
    Or just PM a download link at start time and email at end time.
  • Midnight Aurora%s's Photo
    Micro Madness is the best idea this site has seen in years. It had the most participation, and the most content released of any contest I think I've seen since the Hi Rollers contest.
  • chorkiel%s's Photo
    A blind collab sounds awesome but I'm pretty sure a lot of teams wouldn't work and they'd just quit the contest.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading