RCT Discussion / Has the realistic "theme park" style reached it's pinnacle

• RCTNW%s's Photo

RCTNW-You build some incredible things, your theme park style is still "in" and I wish you would build more, but your hotels and stadiums and everything are unique and incredible.

Thanks, I'm glad a few of you enjoyed my creations. That said, I'm retired from active park creations. HNWA killed all motivation for me.

As for this topic, I don't understand what the point of what it is trying to state. Its simple, People build what they build because they want to build it and they enjoy building it. That equals activity. Who gives a fuck what it is or trying to find some deeper meaning. Not everyone enjoys building fantasy.
  • AvanineCommuter%s's Photo

As for this topic, I don't understand what the point of what it is trying to state. Its simple, People build what they build because they want to build it and they enjoy building it. That equals activity. Who gives a fuck what it is or trying to find some deeper meaning. Not everyone enjoys building fantasy.

If you don't like this discussion, don't participate. Saying "what's the point" isn't helpful and isn't welcome in my book. Let those who want to talk talk, stay out of it if you have nothing useful to say. That's the point of a DISCUSSION FORUM: ya know, it's a place where people DISCUSS things.
  • leonidas%s's Photo
    The point is to discuss what we build and why we build it. It is somewhat useful, because we can doubt or affirm our visions towards this game, arguing what is most interesting or inspiring. We don't just build the way we do randomly, and discussing what we do or don't like can also be interesting. Many people do have a deeper motivation for the way they build, and it's good to hear it, as it might inspire you.

If you don't have a vision, or are not interested in debating the visions of others, you have the option to ignore discussions about such topics.
  • RCTNW%s's Photo
    As someone who used to build in the generic style and reading people comments in this topic that are saying that the SF/CF of generic style is killing NE and to Stop building such parks because they find it boring, I take offense to that. You basically saying that my parks were contributing to the death of NE.

Not everyone has to have some "deeper" though into what they build. Some (such as myself) used to build as a form of relaxation. Some (such as myself) are not able to convert images in our mind to the tools in RCT. Some (such as myself) find it frustrating when we attempt to do fantasy or Themes and cant get it to look right. People build parks because they enjoy what they are doing. I have enough things in real life that I have to do that I don't enjoy. I don't have to put myself through that process when building a park and I would imagine there are others that feel the same as I do yet our style (that we enjoy) is "killing NE".

I only came into this topic because I felt that I (although indirectly) along with others, were being called out as to the demise of NE. With that, I will signoff and do what I enjoy doing, which sadly, does not include NE.
  • tyandor%s's Photo

As someone who used to build in the generic style and reading people comments in this topic that are saying that the SF/CF of generic style is killing NE and to Stop building such parks because they find it boring, I take offense to that. You basically saying that my parks were contributing to the death of NE.

Not everyone has to have some "deeper" though into what they build. Some (such as myself) used to build as a form of relaxation. Some (such as myself) are not able to convert images in our mind to the tools in RCT. Some (such as myself) find it frustrating when we attempt to do fantasy or Themes and cant get it to look right. People build parks because they enjoy what they are doing. I have enough things in real life that I have to do that I don't enjoy. I don't have to put myself through that process when building a park and I would imagine there are others that feel the same as I do yet our style (that we enjoy) is "killing NE".

I only came into this topic because I felt that I (although indirectly) along with others, were being called out as to the demise of NE. With that, I will signoff and do what I enjoy doing, which sadly, does not include NE.

I personally think you should not take too much offense in anything, especially from individuals on the internet.
    People always disagree or agree with you or try to 'push' you into a certain direction. Some helpful, others to suit their own preferences. I have my own preferences as well, but I will NEVER tell someone to stop doing what they enjoy building. I can give my views and it's up to the person to with it as he/she pleases.
    Myself always tried to figure out what other were saying, whether or not I'd agree with it, but one thing is for certain; I ALWAYS tried to do my own thing, which is the best advise I can ever give to any rct-ers out there.
    Whether a certain trend is going on at times doesn't really matter much. If you take it over because it inspires you, there's nothing to stop you from something similar. If your aim is to raise the bar however you can't really get around it: you'd need to add your own style (which for me at least is one of the most fun things to do).
  • Arjan v l%s's Photo
    Maybe you're taking it a bit too serious RCTNW.
    To be honest... i don't think you're part of the demise of NE, i don't think anyone is. You have a very personal style and i admire that.

It's also been mentioned before that a lot of copying is the standard nowadays. :???:
    It seems there's not much inspiration to develop a personal style or to achieve different styles. Most users that are trying to develop themselves, tend to listen a bit too much to all the criticism they receive and that leads to realistic (six-flags like) park building.
    I'm not trying to attack anyone, but listening to all the advices in the AD will get you nowhere i.m.o.
    Just use the good advices that leave room for creativity and personal style.
    We need more artists with a personal style, to create more diversity.

I truly miss that around here.

I'm not trying to spread a hate against Six Flags parks, but they've become so common around here, so a change of perspectives wouldn't hurt, i guess.

Maybe it's just me though...
  • ScOtLaNdS_FiNeSt%s's Photo
    I dont think it has. I know of 3 members that still build in this highly realistic yet very themed style. Sadly they aren't really allowed to participate on this site anymore. Well 1 of them is... But i dont think this is a 'real' problem, The real problem i feel is the streaming thats killing the AD, Sure its great to see other players build but to me it feels like the AD is dead recently apart from 1 or 2 things going on. Most players are watching the select few build on the streams and aren't really building themselves.

Maybe cut down on the streams... 1 or 2 a month not 3-4 a week. This is just my opinion of course do what you want.

*Gets in bunker and prepares for on-slaught of criticism*
  • leonidas%s's Photo
    I think I need to restate my thoughts on this.

I'm kind of in the middle right now:
    On the one hand I do feel as though most of the feedback concerns realistic properties: realistic foliage, realistic architecture, functional design etc. While foliage can also stay within a certain RCT-related charm, that isn't necessarily realistic. In this way we see that many parks of the past had a strong in-game aesthetic; they weren't striving for realism, but rather a believable concept within a game, that also exploited the game and it's possibilities in a playful manner. Now we see, that most parks are referring to the world outside this game. We are trying to brake through the grid of this game - instead of elegantly using it - more towards the flow of the real world, whether this game adapts well to those conditions or not. (possibly the point of Louis' 'don't use road lines as fences' - rant)
    You could argue whether this new realism lacks intricate atmosphere and RCT-charm, but we have to agree what it isn't completely heartless and cold.
    http://i786.photobuc...otos/SCR427.jpg
    When I look at this screen for example: The part that draws my attention is the damaged roof on the left. The Intricacy lies in the perfectly translated textures and structure of the roof, that through it's intricate detail becomes almost physically present. I think the whole point of realism is, that when we see the passion, and eye for the most silly details translated through incredibly delicately constructed scenes, we start noticing the wonderful 'design' of reality. When something if build up, piece by piece, we stop taking it for granted and suddenly see - those things that we thought were boring and ordinary - with renewed fascination.
    Or, as I once said to Rob:

[...] Every detail of reality is taken deep care of, and this shows your passion for the rich chaos that reality is, rather than to simplify it and render it into something more abstract.
    I Appreciate your love for things as they are, with the notion that any concession wouldn't capture it's total complexity.

Through reconstructing reality, we start noticing how beautiful it really is, even in the most ugly places on earth (like six flags).

But in this case, everything depends on the depiction of realism, because if the way realism is captured is generic and boring, there's really no point anymore, except for exercise or relaxation of course. :p/>

There's definitely a place for realism, but there should be place for other experiments as well. Since we seem to criticize more and more on realistic properties, it's becoming harder for other members to exploit the more playful and imaginative side of this game, where references to reality are few, and most things derive from the game itself and ones imagination. I think people should try to comment throughout the intentions of the creator, rather than their own preferences. But that is very hard, and I myself notice how often you're tempted to either hate or love something because it matches your own work or 'genre'.
    @RCTNW

I personally do not think genericism is killing NE. In fact, due to the prevalence of the style, I think it is CONTRIBUTING to the activity here because many people are interested in building in that style. However, it is my personal opinion that genericism is boring and unappealing and so I was asking for responses as to why people found this interesting. That's why I was saying more people should build with themes because, to me, it is SO much more interesting and immersive (note: not strictly fantasy, but themed realism as well).

Don't take anything personally... just like how Louis was throwing shade all over us fantasy players, we shouldn't take offense to it. People like different things like you said. I'm just asking *why* genercism instead of themed realism.

@ Scotlands_Finest

I don't think streaming is killing NE. I think it's a great new addition to NE and more players should do it. I can't speak for those who aren't frequenting the site anymore as to WHY they are no longer participating, but I don't think it's the stream that caused them to stop building...

Edit:
    @Leonidas

I like you. :mantis:
    Eloquently put.
  • ScOtLaNdS_FiNeSt%s's Photo
    Streaming isnt "killing NE". In my opinion it is in a way killing the AD. Simply because screens that are getting posted have been seen by half the site already because people are watching the streams.... So when they do get posted people arent as interested as they would be, Because they have already seen it already. If it carries on this way and in your opinion more people should do it, Then the AD should just become 'Stream Central'. Maybe its not the streaming and its just a lull in activity by members but i cant help but think people are watching others more than building themselves.

The people that arent "involved" anymore are still building and that was my point they are still building realistic and highly themed works... Which is the whole question of this topic.
    Hence i said "I dont think it has" 2 ex members as you will know. and 1 member that is fed up with NE are 3 of the best realistic "THEMEpark" style builders not really still around.
  • robbie92%s's Photo
    I build more when someone is streaming than when there's nothing going on. The majority of people who attend the streams seem to do so for the opportunity to chat to everyone in attendance and tend to build during that time, periodically stopping to see whatever is going on in the stream. I would argue that streaming has added another layer to the community in terms of bridging gaps between older and newer members, more so than any previous efforts.

I'd also argue that between Pac, nin, and myself, we still have some excellent realism players that can still do themes. How many times a year do we need someone spouting off about the "death" of the community or the AD until we realize that there will always be lulls in activity, some far heavier than our current one, and that the site will still persist to exist? It's a different scapegoat every time it's brought up: admins, realism, lack of contests, lack of accolades, detail, custom objects, new games... This is nothing new, so stop pinning it on what is.
  • nin%s's Photo
    I don't understand how a stream, that is purely optional to watch, is killing the Ad. If anything, just don't partake anything, actually go building something, and post a screen. People aren't posting their parks because another is streaming theirs. Pacificoaster streams the most out of anyone, but that hasn't stopped me from still playing the game, nor has it stopped me from posting pics. Finals week is doing more damage to the ad district than the streams are.

I've somewhat stayed out of this debate because I woke up and realized how ridiculous it is. Sure, I'm sick of seeing the same generic realism style, but it's too damn fun (and rather simple) to build, so it keeps me interested when I'm not trying for a hardcore theme. When that bores me, I try themes. Those of you who've chatted with me over aim or whatnot know that while I personally build in a very realistic style, I have tons of fantasy-based ideas that I hopefully will try in the future. In the end, it really does come down to people just building what they want, and the only thing really stopping people from keeping the board and game alive is the fact that instead of playing it they're here wasting their time over a meaningless debate.

Well, that and once DisneySpace is released the aforementioned "RCTcalypse" will ensue due to it's sheer perfection and amazement, but that still has a while to go.
  • In:Cities%s's Photo
    I just want to build things with dinosaurs.
  • nin%s's Photo

I just want to build things with dinosaurs.

where have you been all my life.
  • Pacificoaster%s's Photo
    Posted Image
  • In:Cities%s's Photo
    I've got something in the works as we speak;]
  • Mattk48%s's Photo
    after the rct3 screens earlier on this thread, i did a little searching myself. I stumbled across this you-tube video of a test track recreation with a stupid amount of detail. really amazing
    test track
    I don't understand the need to deride genuinely interesting discussion as meaningless. If you don't find significance in this debate, then leave it alone, it's that simple. I find this subject to be extremely interesting and I'm saddened that the community here doesn't share that sentiment. Also, I consider discourse to be both stimulating and beneficial to the community. Would you prefer that we all stayed quiet until we've built something to post in the AD? Is that your idea of a vibrant RCT community? Whatever, if no one else cares then I guess I'll let it die. So much for a discussion board. :|/>
  • Louis!%s's Photo
    Scotland's, K0NG is not one of the best realistic 'theme' builders.
  • Midnight Aurora%s's Photo
    Realism isn't the cause of lack of productivity. The increasing level of talent and detail are. Since this was just posted and is a very valid comparison, look at that video that MattK just posted. Now look atthe same guy's attempt from 2006. Similarly to our own progress on this site, the both the standards for what constitutes a quality release have skyrocketed to level that takes massive amounts of time to produce.

Also, there are very, very, very, very, very few actual fantasy parkmakers to have come through this site, so your claim is about as far off base as you can be.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading