Theme Park Discussion / Kings Island 2014

• Ride6%s's Photo
    If they've started work this early, without further removal or rides or infrastructure, it has to to be huge. I think it's going to be a giga. I'm still hoping for an Intamin but it looks like Cedar Fair is on a B&M kick these days so that seems like the more likely result.

I'm actually very glad that it's not another wing rider since King's Island and Cedar Point aren't really far enough apart for such similar additions, in such a small time space, to seem worthwhile. The two parks have always walked (seemingly intentionally) very different paths. With SOB gone I think KI really needs their "Millennium Force" or similar flagship ride. Yes The Beast will always be a flagship, and Diamondback is excellent, but the park feels like it's lacking the headliner (from a personality standpoint).

Besides that I could see an invert. King's Island doesn't have a non-shuttle (Invertigo) inverted coaster and an Alpengiest-like monster could really put them on the map that way; but I don't see that resolving the "headliner" issue.

Ride6
  • MorganFan%s's Photo
    Morgans are sexxxayyy.

Just thought I would point that out.
  • Austin55%s's Photo
    How is Morgan still in bussiness? lol, they havent gone out as far as I know, but yet havent built a ride in 9 years.

Which is a shame as the one I've been on is insane.
  • AK Koaster%s's Photo
    Gotta love Morgan, especially since Steel Force is one of my favorite coasters of all time, have been on it a few hundred times over the years. I went on one of the Superman clones this weekend at Darien Lake, and although it was a good coaster, I felt like there was no comparison (though that may have had something to do with the uncomfortable ankle restraints and the fact that I am slightly too fat and tall to enjoy the ride).
  • Louis!%s's Photo

How is Morgan still in bussiness? lol, they havent gone out as far as I know, but yet havent built a ride in 9 years.

Which is a shame as the one I've been on is insane.

I believe Morgan is technically Morgan-Chance. So all those flat rides they sell contribute to staying in business. Morgan has never been just a coaster manufacturer.
  • Austin55%s's Photo
    I still really question Screamscapes credibilty on this one. When the CEO states no wingriders planned and your headline park in the same state just got one...

It does not add up to me.
  • Pacificoaster%s's Photo
    The park does need a good multilooper but I am still hoping for a giga.
  • Maverix%s's Photo
    Vortex is sufficient in the multilooper category. It's no B&M but it is by no means a bad ride. I'm giga all the way on this, anything else will be severely disappointing.

Well not just a giga, I'd love to see a massive invert, but I'm going with giga as it is the most likely.
  • Austin55%s's Photo
    Is Vortex really "good" anymore? I'ts been rumored to leave for a little bit now I think.
  • Twiggy%s's Photo
    Why not Illegitimate Son Of Beast? Beast made love to a B&M.
  • Maverix%s's Photo
    When I rode it back in 2009 it was a lot better than I expected. No major headbanging throughout the ride at all and it had some good forces. Again, it's no B&M or intamin, but it certainly is not a bad ride. It could be becoming a maintenance nightmare for the park however, which could be a reason for it's removal in the future.
  • AK Koaster%s's Photo
    Vortex was "ok" when I rode it, still much smoother than their Flight of Fear, but honestly I thought Anaconda at Kings Dominion, a very similar ride, kicked ass in comparison. Anaconda has to be one of my favorite looping coasters, yet Vortex is very "meh" in comparison, which is strange given that Vortex is only 4 years older. Then again, I only rode it once, and that was three years ago in 2010. I'd say the closest comparison would be GASM before it was demolished, it was a nice ride but it didn't necessarily stand out, not when you have the Beast and Diamondback as two awesome coasters. SOB stood out in the wrong way, nothing like having a giant mountain of wood that was sitting idle, especially when they stopped putting it on the park maps and acknowledging its existence.

Then again if you want to go upside-down a considerable amount of times it's only about a four/five-hour drive north to CP, which also makes me curious why they'd put two wing-riders right next to each other, and leads me to doubt whether this source is true, I'd trust Ouimet a lot more on this one than an unnamed source. I'd still love to see a Leviathan-esque giga. Time will tell anyway, but I still need to get my ass out to Ohio sometime next year...
  • Ride6%s's Photo
    I also doubt the wingrider rumors... I acknowledge that it would be Ouimet's job to lie in that situation, but the comment came off as especially candid. A lot of that interview struck me as rehearsed answers to expected questions, but the one about KI did not. I've heard further rumors on other boards about someone running into some of the Cedar Fair higher-ups at King's Island and Ouimet saying that they "needed to do something about replacing Son of Beast", which (to me, admittedly) means that Diamonback doesn't cut it visually.

The footers that are already down suggest B&M, but B&M what? I'm personally hoping for a giga (duh), but I'd be pretty happy with an invert or floorless if they're sufficiently large (stupidly huge) OR adventurous (when layout illustrations are released).

Also Vortex wasn't even half-bad when I rode it. We rode in the front and it was quite fun with almost Schwarzkopf-like pops of airtime. The corkscrews had a BOATLOAD of hangtime with how the MCBR was run too. I also don't remember Flight of Fear being bad either of the 2 times I've been on KI's version (both at mid-day to escape the heat). It's lapbar equipped and quite comfortable and fun. Hell in '11 when my friends were suffering from heat exhaustion it was a pleasant surprise to all but me (who know what I was walking into, KD's and SFA's after all). Maybe you guys haven't ridden it since Premier changed their rides over to LBs? I could believe that then was a BITCH with OTSRs, but the change was like... 11 years ago?

I can agree that King's Island could use more loops, but a wingrider is NOT the solution. Hopefully Cedar Fair agrees.

Ride6
  • Austin55%s's Photo
    Seeing Vortex go would make me sad. I can't imagine it being to maintenance heavy, the only moving or complex parts ought to just be the trains, lift and brakes. I can't imagine it tears itself up to much. I love the Arrow megaloopers.

Hoping for a hyper to. Wingriders seems rather dull.
  • Xcoaster%s's Photo
    I hope it's a giga with wingrider trains. Maybe with a zero-g roll thrown in.

Actually, I really hope that it's an Intamin giga, but that doesn't look at all likely.

Vortex was pretty sucky the last time I rode it. But I'm generally not a fan of pre-1993 multiloopers, except for Viper and the Schwarzkopfs. FoF is awesome though. A large multilooper would be a nice fit for the park, so that wouldn't surprise me, but they're not too bad off as-is.
  • Louis!%s's Photo
    I'm hoping for a Giga. Gives B&M more experience with them before they come to drawing up the layout for Thorpe's rumoured European record breaking giga in 2015 :p
  • ][ntamin22%s's Photo
    Blueprints leaked:

http://www.youtube.c...d&v=jutM1lIZ1A0
  • Pacificoaster%s's Photo
    Can't wait to see the official renderings!
  • Austin55%s's Photo
    5 days!

Lew - Thorpe's rumored to get a Giga?
  • Louis!%s's Photo
    ^Thorpe's been rumoured for a B&M Giga for a while.

Apparently the next coaster has been pushed back due to extension of the Crash Pad. So we won't be seeing any plans for that anytime soon if it has been pushed back.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading