Music Forum / It's June...what are your favorite albums of 2013 SO FAR?

• FK+Coastermind%s's Photo
    ^^^^^Word
  • Airtime%s's Photo
    In general what's with all the shit album names across all genres? I think Yeezus is a brilliant name with a clever play on Yeezy and Jesus. I'll give you Magna Carta Holy Grail doesn't sound as good, I think there's a missed opportunity with Carta being used instead of Carter. It sounds better just being Magna Carter.
  • csw%s's Photo

The Temper Trap: Acoustic Sessions - The Temper Trap

Edit: Actually I'm fairy certain Dougy Mandagi has the best falsetto in the world. Like, maybe better than JT...

ahem...Thom Yorke
  • Twiggy%s's Photo
    Airtime, looking at Kanye's album names I have to say they are respectable, but my statement was mostly towards majority of the rap scene out there. Some of the stuff out there is just... horrible, album names and the "music" in 'em. I mean no disrespect to rap fans out their. It's just my opinion.
  • Dr_Dude%s's Photo

Airtime, looking at Kanye's album names I have to say they are respectable, but my statement was mostly towards majority of the rap scene out there. Some of the stuff out there is just... horrible, album names and the "music" in 'em. I mean no disrespect to rap fans out their. It's just my opinion.

rap in generally is very direct and i feel like like ppl accustomed to rock find it very foolhardy. at this point i find rock/pop/indie album titles/lyrics to be incredibly vapid nonsense
  • Wanted%s's Photo
    After about 20 listens to Yeezus, I started loving it. This shit slaps so hard
  • leonidas%s's Photo
    Boards of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest

Boards of Canada - Reach for the dead
    Boards of Canada - Jacquard Causeway
  • Airtime%s's Photo
    So Jay-Z's Magna Carta Holy Grail anyone? I feel let down currently but that's with one listen. Normally with one listen I like a few songs and things always grow but currently it's disappointing. Really hope it gets better but Yeezus shits all over it and so does Born Sinner at the minute.

But also new Bloc Party?! The Nextwave Sessions EP. Ratchet the first single from it is alright I'm not the biggest fan since it's pretty much like Octopus, the lead single from Four which I'm not the biggest fan of but hopefully the EP will still be good like Four was.
  • Wanted%s's Photo
    Yeezus is such a strange album. I really don't know how I feel about it. Sober, I HATE it!. Drunk, it's amazing! Bound 2 doesn't really fit the album though.

I really enjoy Magna Carta Holy Grail. It's not innovative at all, but a lot of the songs are very enjoyable. Holy Grail, Picasso, Tom Ford, FuckWithMeYouKnowIGotIt, Oceans, Heaven, & BBC are great. The album is too long though.

In conclusion, still a weak year for hip-hop/rap/r&b. Nothing comparing to Good Kid MAAD City (2012), Frank Ocean (2012), or Take Care (2011)
  • Dr_Dude%s's Photo
    rap's a young man's game, i'm really surprised jay's still even trying
  • Airtime%s's Photo
    ^erm, Hov's recent albums Kingdom Come, The Blueprint 3 and Watch the Throne? He's still got it in him, he's just missed the mark this time, for me.
  • Louis!%s's Photo
    The 2 albums of the year that I really thought would hit the mark, failed for me miserably.

Best Albums of the year for me so far, Random Access Memories and 20/20 Experience
  • imawesome1124%s's Photo
    My favorite album actually came from a band I had never heard of before. Filthy Empire by Heaven's Basement. They came up on my news feed and they are probably the biggest surprise ever for me.
  • Dr_Dude%s's Photo

^erm, Hov's recent albums Kingdom Come, The Blueprint 3 and Watch the Throne? He's still got it in him, he's just missed the mark this time, for me.

kingdome come was seven years ago and it's still far from his best effort, i dont like blueprint 3 at all, im not huge on watch the throne and the parts i did like were contributions by kanye
  • Louis!%s's Photo
    Rappers over the age of 40:

P Diddy
    Snoop Dogg
    Busta Rhymes
    Raekwon
    Eminem
    Jay Z
    Dr Dre
    Timbaland

Just a list of the rappers I could think of that still continue to make decent music. I think that kinda proves that rap isn't just a young man's game.

Also, Nas is 39, 2 Chainz is 35, Kanye West is 36, Ludacris is 35, Pusha T is 36, Rick Ross is 37, Ja Rule is 37, 50 Cent is 38, Andre 3000 is 38

You speak bullshit.
  • Airtime%s's Photo
    After more than one listen to Magna Carta Holy Grail I'm really getting into it. It's not his best but it's a good album that I was too quick to rubbish however I still prefer Yeezus.

^^Fair point with Kingdom Come being 7 years ago but it's still a solid album. BP3 is amazing and so is Watch The Throne, Yeezy did contribute a lot but it's a equal split. Hov is still in the game by a long shot.
  • Dr_Dude%s's Photo
    this is all personal opinion, but of the rappers louis listed i think only raekwon, nas, kanye west and andre 3000 (and in several years andre's only done a few guest appearances) are still making relevant music. there are plenty of rappers i still like that you didn't list that are older than 30 but none of them are putting out their best work currently, save perhaps Killer Mike. aesop rock's last two albums were my favorites of his but he's not a vocal skill-based rapper but a writerly one
  • Xeccah%s's Photo
    most of these came out already, but i haven't listened to them.

four tet- 0181
    autechre- exai
    boris- praparat
    bonobo- the north borders
    primal scream- more light
    william basinski- nocturnes
    baths- obsidian
    gold panda- evil friends
    queens of the stone age- ... like clockwork
    boards of canada- tomorrow's harvest
    clark- feed/beast
  • chorkiel%s's Photo
    July 30th, new backstreet boys album. Go search for their new single, 'in a world like this', if you haven't heard it already.
  • Wanted%s's Photo
    Gonna rate all the 2013 albums I've listened to. My opinion on the rap albums constantly changes :p

Queens of the Stone Age - ...Like Clockwork 9/10
    Flux Pavillion - Blow The Roof 8/10
    J. Cole - Born Sinner 8.5/10
    Knife Party - Haunted House 8.8/10
    Kid Cudi - Indicud 4/10
    The Dream - IV Play 5/10
    A$AP Rocky - LONG.LIVE.A$AP 8.2/10
    Jay-Z - Magna Carta Holy Grail 8.3/10
    Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires of the City 8/10
    James Blake - Overgrown 8.5/10
    PARTYNEXTDOOR - PARTYNEXTDOOR 6.5/10
    Frightened Rabbit - Pedestrian Verse 8/10