Music Forum / It's June...what are your favorite albums of 2013 SO FAR?

• A.S.Coasters%s's Photo

Avenged Sevenfold- Hail to the King
    Black Sabbath- 13

Going to have to add The Blackest Beautiful by letlive. to this list, just wow 

• Wanted%s's Photo
    Post-Oct 8th Update!

Q4 albums I'm looking forward to - Reflektor, MMLP2, Matangi, ARTPOP, Black Panties, Honest

Q1-Q3 albums I still haven't really listened to - m b v, Dual (EP), Overgrown

Favorite Hip-Hop/Rap/RnB Albums
    1. Yeezus - Kanye West
    2. Danny Brown - Old
    3. Kiss Land - The Weeknd
    4. Acid Rap - Chance The Rapper
    5. Nothing Was The Same - Drake
    6. Doris - Earl Sweatshirt
    7. LONG.LIVE.A$AP - A$AP Rocky
    8. My Name Is My Name - Pusha T
    9. Run The Jewels - El-P & Killer Mike
    10. Trap Lord - A$AP Ferg
    11. Stay Trippy - Juicy J

Favorite Rock/Alternative/Metal Albums
    1. Trouble Will Find Me - The National
    2. Sunbather - Deafheaven
    3. ...Like Clockwork - Queens Of The Stone Age
    4. AM - Arctic Monkeys
    5. MGMT - MGMT
    6. Modern Vampires Of The City - Vampire Weekend
    7. The Greatest Generation - The Wonder Years

Favorite EDM/Electronica/Dubstep/Trap Albums
    1. Random Access Memories - Daft Punk
    2. Settle - Disclosure
    3. Darkside - Psychic
    4. True - Avicii
    5. A Color Map Of The Sun - Pretty Lights
    6. Bang Vol. 3 - mr. carmack
    7. Get Wet - Krewella
    8. Atmosphere - Kaskade
    9. Blow The Roof - Flux Pavillion

Overall Top 10

1. Random Access Memories - Daft Punk
    Random_Access_Memories.jpg
    Favorite songs - Give Life Back To Music, Giorgio By Moroder, Instant Crush, Touch, Get Lucky, Beyond, Contact

2. Settle - Disclosure
    Disclosure_Settle.jpg
    Favorite songs - When A Fire Starts To Burn, Latch, White Noise, Stimulation, January

3. Trouble Will Find Me - The National
    Trouble_Will_Find_Me.jpg
    Favorite songs - Demons, Don't Swallow The Cap, Heavenfaced, This Is The Last Time, Pink Rabbits

4. Psychic - Darkside
    psychic_360_360_90.jpg
    Favorite songs - Golden Arrow, Heart, Paper Trails, The Only Shrine I've Seen, Metatron

5. Yeezus - Kanye West
    Yeezus_Kanye_West.jpg
    Favorite songs - On Sight, I Am A God, Hold My Liquor, Blood On The Leaves

6. Sunbather - Deafheaven
    Deafheaven_-_Sunbather_2013.png
    Favorite songs - Dream House, Please Remember, Vertigo, The Pecan Tree

7. Old - Danny Brown
    Danny_Brown_Old_Cover_Art.jpg
    Favorite songs - Side A (Old), The Return, Torture, Lonely, Dubstep, Dip, Kush Coma, Float On

8. ...Like Clockwork - Queens Of The Stone Age
    Queens_of_the_Stone_Age_-_%E2%80%A6Like_
    Favorite songs - Keep Your Eyes Peeled, I Sat By The Ocean, Kalopsia, Smooth Sailing, I Appear Missing, ...Like Clockwork

9. Kiss Land - The Weeknd
    The_Weeknd_Kiss_Land.jpg
    Favorite songs - Professional, Adaptation, Belong To The World, Wanderlust, Pretty

10. AM - Arctic Monkeys
    Arctic_Monkeys_-_AM.png
    Favorite Songs - Do I Wanna Know?, R U Mine?, One For The Road, Mad Sounds, Fireside, Snap Out Of It

• Coupon%s's Photo

not feeling drake's album

• imawesome1124%s's Photo

I'm going to give a track-by-track review of Alter Bridge's new album, Fortress.  Not only my favorite album of 2013, but probably my favorite album of all time.

Alter_Bridge_-_Fortress_album_cover.jpg

1. Cry Of Achilles:  The song starts with a Flamenco-like acoustic guitar intro from Myles Kennedy, grabbing the listener's attention immediately before smacking them over the head with a 2x4 when the rest of the band kicks in.  This song is a standout in every aspect, the guitar, the bass, the drumming, and of course Myles's singing all shine in this song.  With an opening track like this, the album is bound to be an epic journey.

2. Addicted To Pain:  It may be the weakest track on the album, but it's still better than many other rock bands put out.  It has a massive intro and bridge riff which Myles Kennedy compared to "dump-trucks falling from the heavens."  The bridge leads into a typical Tremonti shredtastic guitar solo before closing the song with the same massive riff.

3. Bleed It Dry:  Who needs screaming to make a heavy song?  This song has one of the heaviest riffs Alter Bridge has ever done.  The bridge features jazzy Opeth-like guitar work from Myles into a traditional blues solo from Tremonti, the first blues solo he's ever done in a song.  Incorporating straight blues into a hard rock song is a bold and brilliant move.

4. Lover:  Don't let the title fool you, this is NOT a love song.  It is actually quite the opposite.  The lyrics are dark and deal with the theme of betrayal by someone you used to love.  The slowest song on the album, it's a welcome change of pace from the first three songs on the album, and probably the best ballad from Alter Bridge.

5. The Uninvited:  A song that was nearly dropped from the album turned out to be one of the highlights.  There is a distinct Tool feel, with hammer-on guitar riffs reminiscent of Tool's famous song Schism.  The drumming in this song is superb, and Flip does tremendously with the odd time signature.

6. Peace Is Broken:  Dat riff doe!  This song is Tremonti's best riff from either Creed, Alter Bridge, or his solo project.  This is the heaviest song on the album, and maybe the heaviest song AB has ever done.  Mark takes the lead on vocals in the bridge and nails it, as is to be expected after singing lead on every song on his solo record.

7. Calm The Fire:  The best Alter Bridge song since Blackbird.  The largeness and stadium-like sound of this song is reminiscent of early Muse and even Queen.  Myles's voice has never been better, showing off his 4-octave range and proving why he's one of the all-time greatest singers in rock.

8. Waters Rising: Not to be outdone, Mark Tremonti takes lead vocal duty on this song and hands the lead guitar off to Myles.  Few bands have ever had two people capable of doing both lead guitar and lead vocals.  Okay, Mark was definitely outdone by Myles as far as vocals go, but he shows that he is definitely more than capable of singing lead.

9. Farther Than The Sun: This is a very different sound for Alter Bridge.  The swing in the main riff and chorus just make you want to move.  It's Michael Buble meets hard rock, and unlikely combination that works out tremendously well.

10. Cry A River: From a lyrical standpoint, this is the most aggressive and angry songs on the album, talking about confronting someone who has betrayed you.  This is a faster song, and the bass playing from Brian Marshall stands out on this song.

11. All Ends Well:  Myles wrote this song about something his mother told him as a kid: "If you believe in yourself, all will end well."  With a message like that, this song is the most uplifting on the album.  It's lighthearted, and really picks you up after a generally dark record.

12. Fortress: After All Ends Well gives the listener hope in the end, the title track pulls them right back down.  The song is about how everything we once believed to be steadfast and here to stay, whether it be government, religion, or even marriage, will eventually come crumbling down.  The dueling guitar solo from Mark and Myles is a highlight of the album.

• MorganFan%s's Photo

Wondrous Bughouse - Youth Lagoon

• Dr_Dude%s's Photo

the beats on Trap Lord by A$AP Ferg are really great. the verses arent incredible but god the beats are good

• Airtime%s's Photo

I'm with you Coups, there's like 4 songs off of Drake's album that are really good, the rest is pretty meh.

Here's my list of 2013 so far:

1. Yeezus - Kanye West. Favourite songs: Hold My Liquer, Black Skinhead, I Am a God

2. Born Sinner - J.Cole. Favourite songs: Power Trip, Runaway, Born Sinner

3. My Name Is My Name - Pusha T. Favourite songs: King Push, Hold On, 40 Acres

4. Magna Carta Holy Grail - Jay Z. Favourite songs: Holy Grail, Tom Ford, La Familia

5. The 20/20 Experience - Justin Timberlake. Favourite songs: Don't Hold The Wall, Let The Groove Get In, Mirrors

6. Hall Of Fame - Big Sean. Favourite Songs: Nothing Is Stopping You, You Don't Know, World Ablaze

7. The 20/20 Experience, 2 Of 2 - Justin Timberlake. Favourite songs: Murder, Amnesia, Only When I Walk Away

8. The Nextwave Sessions - Bloc Party. Favourite Songs: Obscene, Montreal, Children Of The Future

9. Theme Park -Theme Park. Favourite Songs: Jamaica, Tonight, Still Life

10. Random Access Memories - Daft Punk. Favourite Songs: Doin' It Right, Contact

11. Love In The Future - John Legend. Favourite Songs: All Of Me, Who Do We Think We Are, You & I (Nobody In The World)

12. Love, Lust, Faith + Dreams - 30 Seconds To Mars. Favourite Songs: Up In The Air, City Of Angels

13. Nothing Was The Same - Drake. Favourite Songs: Tuscan Leather, Too Much, Pound Cake/Paris Morton Music 2

14. Leaving - Skrillex

Looking forward to:

The Marshall Mathers LP2 - Eminem

Demonstration - Tinie Tempah

• FK+Coastermind%s's Photo

idk about the rest of you'll, but i'm freaking excited for Reflektor. Arcade Fire HERE WE GO

• Louis!%s's Photo

^^ I thought Drake would be higher than that for you.

• Airtime%s's Photo

About 4 good songs that are really great but the rest is meh and bit boring.

Lol, i thought Louis was talking to me. Everybody knows i don't like rap.....do they? Well i don't unless it's Azealia Banks, Missy Elliot, or Lil' Kim

....i think i have a lady rappers thing....

• Louis!%s's Photo

Missy Elliot <3

• csw%s's Photo

idk about the rest of you'll, but i'm freaking excited for Reflektor. Arcade Fire HERE WE GO

Yes! Only one more week, I can't wait

• Steve%s's Photo

This is in the running for my AOTY now...

The_1975_debut_album_cover.jpg

• Wanted%s's Photo

Reflektor is mindblowingly good. The 4 track streak from Awful Sound to Afterlife is incredible

• Liampie%s's Photo

Haken's The Mountain remains my #1, but since two weeks I have a new #2: The Theory of Everything, by Ayreon. Delicious classic prog.

• Louis!%s's Photo

Gotta add Miley Cyrus' Bangerz to my list.

Brilliant album.

• Steve%s's Photo

My quick review of some favorites from 2013. These are just my opinions because obviously Daft Punk have been near the top of everyone's lists but for me, I just wasn't too interested, for example. Anyway.

9. Random Access Memories - Daft Punk 

Get Lucky is a great tune, obviously. I am also a fan of the one with Julian Casablancas on there too but a lot of the other tracks, well, eh. Clearly a great record which I can respect and understand why it got the praise it did, it just wasn't entirely for me. 

8. Business Casual - We Are Scientists

I was into them back in high school and they've since put out some mediocre albums, but after stumbling upon their new EP this year, wow. Back to form. Check out the song "Return The Favor" if you're into typical cliche indie rock. I know I am.

7. Young New England - Transit

A pretty straightforward rock record here. Not as solid as their last full length, but definitely stands out this year among it's competitors in their genre. Great hooks and instrumentation accompanied by some typical lyrics of what you'd expect from this sort of music. Regardless, check out "Nothing Lasts Forever" for the great guitar lines.

6. One Big Particular Loop - Polyenso

Formally the band Oceana, who put out the Clean Head EP a while back (in:Cities?). The great thing about these guys is that they put out a new style for every release they make yet still keep their identity in tact. This time around they seem to be hovering around the vibes of Radiohead and the like, but even if you're not a Radiohead don't let it deter you - one of the most underrated and unknown albums of the year. Check out "Cherry Life" to get an idea of it's all about.

5. The Greatest Generation - The Wonder Years

Really high on a lot of music publication lists, and for good reason. By far the best stuff these guys have ever put out and sets the bar for most pop punk music from here on out. It's nothing immediately groundbreaking in terms of being "new" but it's how its done so well that sets it apart. The album opener "There, There" is slow going until it breaks into a self-deprecating chorus of awesome-ness, only to find it rehashed (along with other tracks on the album) on the epic finale "I Just Want To Sell Out My Funeral." Check both of them out.

4. Migrant - The Dear Hunter

The Dear Hunter has been putting out concept albums for most of their stint, but this year they managed to make just a plain 'ol record full of some of the most personal material they've ever written. Which is fine, since it's also the best material they've ever written. Check out "Whisper" or "Girl."

3. The 1975 - The 1975

A pretty stand-out record for this year, I think. Probably one of the best pop/rock records not only this year but probably the last FEW years. You could dismiss it for being overly produced or for being cliche or if the vocalist sounds too whiny and British, but I haven't heard songs this catchy since the definitive albums of my youth. If you have to check out one song, let it be "Sex" but really, all of them are worthy of a listen.

2. Golden Record - The Dangerous Summer

This is probably just the fanboy in me, since I've loved this band since their first EP, but this album is the rock album to listen to this year and it's criminally overlooked. I could understand why - it's obviously not going to be for everyone and there's technically better stuff out there, but you have to listen to "Sins" and get to the bridge of the track and try not to feel something. 

1. Trouble Will Find Me - The National

If this doesn't win "Best Alternative Album" at the Grammy Awards, I will punch a child. If you're not listening to this record, you should be. Check out "Graceless."

Those are my picks this year. If you made it this far then thanks, cause now we both know I have nothing better to do than write all of this on a Rollercoaster Tycoon forum.

Should we just make a best albums of 2013 topic? it seems to continue using this one....lol

• Wanted%s's Photo

Those are my picks this year. If you made it this far then thanks, cause now we both know I have nothing better to do than write all of this on a Rollercoaster Tycoon forum.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA one of the few times I've actually lol'd on an internet forum

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading