Theme Park Discussion / Tall people and roller coasters...

• csw%s's Photo
    Hello!

I, like all of you, love to ride roller coasters...the only problem is, I'm 6'5" tall (just under 2 meter for you Metric-users ;) ) and continuing to grow...Does anyone else have this problem, and how do you deal with it when riding coasters? Also, if you have recommendations for which coasters are smooth and comfortable and others that will break kneecaps, please share :)

From parks that I've been to, I can definitely say that all 3 of Holiday World's wooden coasters are not too friendly to those over 6 feet, especially the Legend. All of the steel coasters at King's Island are comfortable, so maybe it is a steel/wooden thing? I have heard that suspended coasters (Ninja etc.) are uncomfortable to those with big knees, any other coaster types?
  • Twiggy%s's Photo
    Well, I'm not 6'5", only 5'10", hopefully I'll grow some more, but my cousin is 6'6" I believe and I know that he can't ride Top Thrill Dragster at Cedar Point because they have a height maximum there. He also is uncomfortable on any wooden at CP as well as the ones at KI. Other than the woodies he's fine. So, I assume it's just as you said, woodies are uncomfortable while steel are smooth. I wish you luck in your coaster journeys. :mantis:

By the way, can you give me some of your height? Just 5'10" is just... sigh. And it ain't really looking up for me. :'(
  • Austin55%s's Photo
    Six Flags has been impementing the new rule stating you must have 2 hands and 2 feet, so removing your legs is probably out of the question, unless you can somehow attach them to your knees? I'm not a doctor but that may be worth looking into.

But in all seriousness, even this bugs me sometimes. I hate having to tuck my feet under the chair when trains don't have gaps for your feet.
    B&M's will probably be pretty good for you. Invert's and floorless's especially. Watch out for older style premiers, ALA Mr. Freeze or the Spaghetti bowls, they get tight. Sitting in the front car may give you room to stretch out.
    PTC trains (like those at Holiday World) may have a bit more room in the front of the car. That's a good rule for a lot of tighter rides.
  • MorganFan%s's Photo
    I myself am 6'4" and I' only 16, so I'll probably end up not being able to ride some rides once I stop growing, whenever that may be. I have learned some tricks for riding coasters though. Wearing well-gripping tennis shoes is good on the knees in that they keep your feet from slipping. On some coasters, I sit as far back in the seat as possible before pulling down the lap bar, so my knees will have some space between the front of the car.

Infamous coasters:
    -Any Arrow hyper- I rode Big One at Blackpool and felt horrible afterwards. Sit back, tennis shoes won't help, so sit back in the seat.
    -New Texas Giant- Only half of the trains are bearable. The first row in each car has steel shinguards. Ouch. Grippy shoes will fix this.
    -Titan/Goliath- Again, sit back.

Until I can think of anything else-
  • Louis!%s's Photo

Well, I'm not 6'5", only 5'10", hopefully I'll grow some more...

By the way, can you give me some of your height? Just 5'10" is just... sigh. And it ain't really looking up for me. :'(

THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH BEING 5'10" IT'S A PERFECT HEIGHT FOR PERFECT PEOPLE
  • csw%s's Photo

But we still have to reach up on the top shelf for 5'10" people :lol:/>

Thanks for the replies everyone, I'm planning on heading to Cedar Point and/or Kings Island this summer or next. Maybe SF Great America or St. Louis if I'm feeling adventurous. No one wants to spend money on gas to get there though :(/>
  • Fisch%s's Photo
    Don't ride Magnum XL...probably same as Big One at Blackpool then.
    I yelled all ride long cuz of the pain haha...

You just gotta decide whether you want to endure it to experience the thrill. ;)

The only suggestion I have is that for some trains you'll have more leg room either in the front or the back of the cars. So make sure you know where.
  • ScOtLaNdS_FiNeSt%s's Photo
    stop wearing high heels csw.
  • Xeccah%s's Photo
    headchoppers take on a whole new dimension of intense
  • AK Koaster%s's Photo
    Yeah, I'm approx 6'3", but the thing is, I have shorter legs, so I'm fine on arrow rides, but the thing is I have broad shoulders (or maybe that's just me trying to think of myself as not being fat, even though I am) so OTSR's are slightly problematic in many situations. I can no longer fit on B&M inverts unless I'm in the "big boy" seats, when I try another row, the harness hits my shoulders, and the belt doesn't fasten. For a Chance/Morgan claw ride, the restraint doesn't even close. However, when I had just gotten back from college, still having the freshman 30, I didn't fit in the impulse coaster or the floorless at my park, which REALLY annoyed me. I have lost enough weight to fit again, but all the rides are still a tight squeeze. Working at the park is a good way to lose weight, especially since the one ride I work at requires about 20 lbs of force to open most of the harnesses (I fit in that one fine though, go figure)
  • verti%s's Photo
    I hit the top of the tunnel on a woodie in Silverwood once (I'm 6'6") while raising my hands. It was not pleasant.
  • SSSammy%s's Photo
    5'6", count your fucking blessings, assholes.
  • Louis!%s's Photo
    ^There's nothing wrong with smaller people! They are much cuter.
  • Twiggy%s's Photo

^There's nothing wrong with smaller people! They are much cuter.

Small girls are cute, yes. But to girls, small guys aren't cute.
  • wildroller%s's Photo

I'm 6'4" and the Magnum is ridable as along as you are in the front seat of any of the cars. The 2nd and 3rd seats on any car is pretty much unbearable though.
  • nin%s's Photo

Can we have a perfect people meet up? This would be grand.
  • Xeccah%s's Photo
    i'm almost 6'7"

oh god
  • Louis!%s's Photo

Small girls are cute, yes. But to girls, small guys aren't cute.

To guys, wall guys are cute.

And nin, yes let's have a perfect people meeting.
  • Airtime%s's Photo

I'm glad someone else also has this problem! Roughest coaster experience on The Big One at Blackpool due to legs banging on the seat in front.
  • MorganFan%s's Photo
    Big One is one of the most painful things I have ever been on. But it's pretty to look at.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading