RCT Discussion / OpenRCT2

• Highball%s's Photo

I'm a little out of the loop and didn't even know this existed. I've read over this topic but haven't seen a definitive answer to my question: Does OpenRCT2 now allow you to pick more objects or increase the map data limit?

• Liampie%s's Photo
    Nope... This is a disappointment on one hand, but it ensures parks made in OpenRCT2 and regular RCT2 remain compatible - pretty important I think.

It does allow you to switch your object selection during the building process without any tools or anything. May be handy when combating the object limit, figuring out what objects may be more efficient or for importing new slot-saving objects. And the new zero-clearance function is always a blessing.
  • Highball%s's Photo

Well damn...

• X7123M3-256%s's Photo
    The object limit is hardcoded into the game's data structures, and the game's files are just those data structures RLE compressed. The limit can't be removed until all the game's code is reverse engineered, and a new custom file format would have to be created (it would obviously not be backward compatible). I've heard removing the limit is a goal of the OpenRCT2 project, but it's still a long way off.
  • Louis!%s's Photo

Question. Can someone simply list the benefits to having OpenRCT over RCT. And what the disadvantages are?

• Coasterbill%s's Photo

The biggest disadvantage is that if you open up a park where something was gee hacked (invisible huts or basically anything else) it randomly decides to work sometimes but other times everything looks awful and is completely visible. I think Mav pointed out the same thing. Until they fix that I'm not interested in using open RCT.

• inthemanual%s's Photo

It's not random. The code checks for a null object, like what the Gee hack produces, but then only makes one object invisible, the next one on the tile in hex data. So it screws up if multiple things on a tile are made invisible, and might also get screwed up based on whether you delete the dummy track used to make the tile invisible or not.

With my current project, I plan to release an OpenRCT2 version as well as a normal version. The openRCT2 version will have all the huts that are still visible made invisible with openRCT2's invisible entrance hut type. That will eliminate these ugly blurbs.

• Louis!%s's Photo

^Yeah I saw that, reminded me of modified. I miss JJ.

• F0ndue%s's Photo

In regards to what Coasterbill said, this problem is bound to the program, not the save-game, right?

I'd like to start using OpenRCT2, but somehow nothing happens when I choose the directory where RCT2 is located in (I have the Steam version). Anybody familiar with this issue? Couldn't find any solution to it so far. 

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading