Theme Park Discussion / North America 2015 coasters

• That Guy%s's Photo

I like that it has some interesting and terrifying elements, and lasts longer than TTD or KK, but I agree with nin. Looking at this ride, the chills that I would get looking at TTD are nonexistent. It's not nearly as intimidating or cool as the stratas. Plus you don't even get to experience the full drop, which is lame for everyone wanting to up the ante. The good news is, Cedar Fair and Six Flags will no doubt be rummaging through their pockets to beat this thing as soon as possible.

• Faas%s's Photo

Wtf that looks horrible. Is this for real?

• Austin55%s's Photo

Is that intended to be serious? That's dreadful.

Pshh I think it looks awesome, certainly better than what what SFFT is putting in.It's like a bigger, faster, more backwards wooden warrior which looks awesome to. 

The Polar Coaster looks immense to me.  Kingda ka still holds tallest drop and it's still the tallest freestanding coaster. And it'll likely hold that record for years more. 

• Coasterbill%s's Photo
    Kingda ka still holds tallest drop and it's still the tallest freestanding coaster. And it'll likely hold that record for years more. 

I'd agree with that. The problem is in order to beat Kingda Ka's record you have to have a ton of money AND be a complete idiot. The only chain dumb enough to see the maintenance disaster that was Top Thrill Dragster (who else remembers the "Dragster Status Page" on the Cedar Point website?) and decide they wanted to build the same ride but taller and faster already did it and we ended up with Kingda Ka which was another maintenance nightmare.

So who else is going to invest in an Intamin strata coaster? Merlin isn't that stupid, Busch isn't that stupid, it wouldn't fit Disney and Universal anyway, Six Flags doesn't spend much money on coasters any more and they wouldn't beat their own record and Cedar Fair probably learned their lesson and hasn't build an Intamin ride in years.

So basically if anyone is going to beat this record there are 2 options...

1) Someone is dumb enough to build an Intamin Strata coaster.

2) Someone breaks the record with a different type of coaster. A non launched continous-circuit coaster would probably be cost prohibitive since the Intamin rides that went up, came down and hit the brakes cost 25 million dollars over a decade ago and a coaster that did any more than that would probably be so expensive that you'd never see a return on it. The only thing I can think of is putting one on a complex like this and doing something similar to that old "fish hook" concept for the Stratosphere.

There are very few people with the resources to build something like this and the people that have those resources are probably too smart to invest in something that expensive... I don't see Six Flags losing that record any time soon. 

As far as the Poler coaster... it looks great but it's a shame that the drop won't be anything close to the actual height of the ride.

• Austin55%s's Photo

Yea, I have doubts Kingda Ka will ever be surpassed in terms of being acomplete circuit, freestanding, and drop height.  And if it did, I'd put my bets on the Mid-East or China to do it. UAE already nabbed worlds fastest with similar tech to what the Strata's use. And Chinese parks are generally pretty dumb.

I think the Polar Coaster concept will entice other, non theme park types to attach rides to other types of structures. Building a 420 foot tall support structure for a 20 second ride doesn't seem like a great investment. Building a 420 foot structure for an observation deck, restaurant, etc, seems much more likely and we have those all over the world. 

I am really curious about how much bigger lifted coasters will get. We are currently watching the tallest go up now in Fury 325. That's 93 feet shorter than Ka. Could someone soon surpass Ka with a chain lift? At current pace of 19 feet of additional height every 3 years,  we'd see the first 400 foot B&M by 2027. 

• Austin55%s's Photo

BTR ver 2.0

11025268_10153112312358491_5604089409267

looks like its flipping people off. 

• Louis!%s's Photo

Gonna be ugly as fuck.

• Liampie%s's Photo
    What the fuck is that? New RCT4 screen?
  • Coasterbill%s's Photo

Gonna be ugly as fuck.

If you want ugly as fuck look no further than Lagoon's 200 foot shit brown tower coaster thing.

4b9bbd37709367f78cd9f488dc2585da.jpg

• Austin55%s's Photo

#brownisatheme

• ][ntamin22%s's Photo

Am I forgetting something, or is Thunderbird going to be the first launched B&M other than Hulk?

• Austin55%s's Photo
    Hulk isn't even really a launch. Its more of a boost. It still has a lifthill and first drop.

So yes, it is the first true launched BM.
  • Airtime%s's Photo

It is litterally the year of the 200ft+ coaster in an ugly box! Cannibal and Hansa Park's.

• Maverix%s's Photo

I don't care how ugly that box is, that drop is beautiful <3

• ][ntamin22%s's Photo
    Kind of just looks like the tower has a boner.
  • Austin55%s's Photo

The tallest traditional coaster in the world is now testing

11050742_10153126457318599_8986809108355

• PBJ%s's Photo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tkUvxBYHps

First test run on the Fury 325! POV!

Looks like one hell of a fun coaster!

• Sephiroth%s's Photo

I'm in love.

• Dirk Pitt%s's Photo

Did they actually send a person on the very first run of the coaster? I say this because the camera work clearly shows someone was holding the camera on the coaster. Kinda ballsy from a safety and legal perspective.

Also I got to say the very last seat on this coaster will be hands down the best seat for that first drop, did you all see how fast the coaster crested over the hill? The first car was barely heading downward when it picked up a lot of momentum, pretty sure the last car would probably still be on the lift hill facing upwards, if not the very least, at the apex of the lift.

• Austin55%s's Photo

Seaworld has something big in the works now

image_11248.jpg

Although it is a 2016 attraction not 15.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading