Related Games / Theme Parkitect, new RCT-based game

• inthemanual%s's Photo
    its an indie game, so the expectation of incredible art and assets is unrealistic. I do agree that it draws a little heavily from rct, but it defines itself in a way as well. It's 3d, has a much more fluid coaster editor, and is also obviously still a work in progress. I don't think it's anything groundbreaking, but it could bring some charm of its own.
  • RRP%s's Photo

Theres currently 10 flatrides in game. Devs are asking for feedback on whats next.

I have suggested Huss Topple Tower,Giant frisbee,breakdance

In game so far:

Pirate ship

Launched Tower

Observation tower

Gravitron

Top spin

Enterprise

Twist/Scrambler

Ferris Wheel

Move it 32?

Wipe out

http://www.shyguyswo...c,16879.60.html

• RRP%s's Photo

Few new screens on the developer site

screenshot02.png

screenshot07.png

screenshot05.png

screenshot08.png

screenshot04.png

screenshot01.png

screenshot03.png

screenshot06.png

• Maxwell%s's Photo

Wow, that velocity feature is a really neat idea! It seems more intuitive than watching the graphs on rct haha.

• Austin55%s's Photo

It's getting a lot better for sure. 

• Dirk Pitt%s's Photo

I'm sure when they texture these things much better than basic shading/single colors, this game will get more interesting.

• RRP%s's Photo

I'm sure when they texture these things much better than basic shading/single colors, this game will get more interesting.

Im not sure if they are going to be redoing textures at any point. The game currently looks very similar to their very early concept art. However they have stated that it should support custom content (its built in unity). So one day someone might be able to go back and redo the the textures and add new content.

In game it is quite dynamic due to dynamic wind/weather (rain splash in water/causes waves), water moves up and down, shadows are also fully dynamic.

The coaster builder is the best part so far, the flexibility achieved with simple rct style tools is great. I think ive spent about 50 hours in game so far helping them build the park in the screenshots,bug testing.Simply testing layout options is where most of the time has been spent though. Just out of screen there's a massive son of beast/medusa/ghost rider style woody ive been playing with.Hours of fun.

• posix%s's Photo

Are they paying for the RCT licence?

• Mattk48%s's Photo

Woody trains look great, but Im not sold on the track. It just doesn't really look like a real wooden roller coaster to me. The log flume looks great. 10/10. Overall the game just has a really weird art style that Im not so sure about. Im interested, but I wouldn't call it hype. 

• inthemanual%s's Photo

I really like the aesthetic they're going with. I'm just hoping it'll be as customization friendly as RCT2.

• G Force%s's Photo
    Wish you would put those building skills into RCT RRP. Shame to see so much of your work go unfinished.

The coaster builder is probably the thing I anticipate most from this. The gameplay videos make it look so practical and but still so RCT.
  • Xeccah%s's Photo

Are they paying for the RCT licence?

would they necessarily need to? are they taking much shit from RCT to justify it being a mod or whatnot of RCT?

• Louis!%s's Photo

I don't see why they would need to as this isn't RCT and doesn't look like RCT. Its as much RCT as RCT is TTD

• RRP%s's Photo

Yea i agree,it borrows ideas from RCT and then expands on them.Anything that could be seen as copying,is also copied from real life theme parks.

@Mattk48 They are still taking feedback and its all subject to change. They've just released version 2 of the pre alpha for early backers,thats what this mini park was built for.Sebioff (the coder) is a regular on shyguys forum, parkitect section if you wanna give feedback directly.

@G Force: The coaster builder is great,its a bit like the custom track rides in rct3 but without the compromise of 1000's of parts. Instead all the parts are linked with the basic buttons. Eg you have the drop angles + adjustable length, whereas the rct3 ones have a separate piece for each length.You can build custom inversions aswell which i great with the freeroll option so you can have any shape corkscrew you want. Or have a half prefab corkscrew entry with a custom shaped exit. Theres still more drop angles to come apparently.

I like the little bit of additional management for staff aswell,shops run out of stock and new stock has to be delivered by handymen. Trash is also moved the map edge (by hand) which will then be collected by the bin men i believe.

I9GYDEr.jpg

Raep3db.jpg

The procedurally generated grass has a bug at the minute where it regenerates each time the save is loaded.Im hoping this becomes a feature later in game.Giving the impression that foliage gets thicker with time.

w9GxmKi.jpg

• Louis!%s's Photo

I really want to get into this game and be a part of it and whatnot but I just feel like it's going to be the 'fun game'. As in it will be a game to play for a bit of time here and there, much like the RCT scenarios.

I just think it falls short on what we do with RCT, which of course, isn't their priority, but it is interesting to see how it will go on from no longer being a 'fun game' and becoming more intense.

• RRP%s's Photo

I really want to get into this game and be a part of it and whatnot but I just feel like it's going to be the 'fun game'. As in it will be a game to play for a bit of time here and there, much like the RCT scenarios.

I just think it falls short on what we do with RCT, which of course, isn't their priority, but it is interesting to see how it will go on from no longer being a 'fun game' and becoming more intense.

There's plans i believe for architecture etc if thats what you mean. Theres been a little brainstorm on how to improve the old rct2 wall feature. I have suggested walls that are like the coaster builder (rock object is already scalable). So you have 1 concrete wall and you can make it a 1x1,2x2,3x3 etc etc from 1 object. Have also suggested texture painting (game already has full RGB colour selector with hex codes and eyedropper colour picker coming in the future). So you have 1 wall thickness,then pick what texture you want on it. Door arch becomes giant bridge support etc. But its all planned for the future, theyre getting the base game (i.e RCT1 v1.0) right first i think

fmgE9F2.jpg

Stacking,off the grid placement and small details like sloped brake/block brakes are already in which suggests to me they will be considering minor attention to detail in future aswell.Accurate block brakes on log flumes :)

JbOhhjc.jpg

• Cocoa%s's Photo

^yeah, what they're doing is building the game that people who played rct years ago will look at and say "holy crap, that looks like fun!" and buy it. which is a great plan, I totally back that. its like what people loved about the original (in terms of scenario play) and adding to that on lots of levels. its like how cities:skylines pulled the hype from simcity, people will probably really want to get into this for its nostalgia, creativity, etc where rctworld/3/4/whatever failed. its sort of a true successor to the style of the original rct.

not many people (in the grand consumer scale) really cares about our little niche of pretty parks anyway, and we'll probably keep using rct despite new games coming out.

• RRP%s's Photo

A little info some might be interested in

Q)Would diagonal/curved path edge scenery be a possibility later on? It wouldn't require any changes to the AI but it could potentially add a lot of detail and customization.

A)Yep!

Q)Another question for the developers: have you thought about launched coasters? I would prefer a separate launch track, instead of launching out of the station. So, train moves out of station to launch track. It slows down until a complete stop and is launched after several seconds, clearing the track for the next launch.

There should probably also be rolling launch segments, which accelerate trains without stopping first (as in the more recently built multilaunch coasters).

A)That should be doable - launch track would work similar to block brakes (except always stopping the train, and high acceleration speed), rolling launch segment would be similar to chain/friction wheel lift.

Q)Will there be any type of Multiplayer, or an option for multiple people to work simultaneously on the same parkfile? This would be a major selling point for me, and many others, as playing with friends is unquantifiably more fun then playing solo!

A)I've done multiplayer games before, so I can safely say this is way out of our scope. This is a really huge project already, and we'll be busy for a long time to go with all the things we still want to do, so yeah....no multiplayer.

How do you imagine working on the same parkfile would work? You can of course always share your savegame file with others, but that's probably not what you meant?

A.2)The tricky part however is synchronizing e.g. the guests and coasters, so that they're in the same state across all connected machines. For a game like this you'd use lockstep simulation, which first of all means making the game deterministic: if you run the game with the same inputs executed at the same points in time it always has to result in the same game state afterwards. Sounds funny at first, because that's just what a computer does, right?, but: for example you need to be very careful whenever you want to do anything with a random number, because your random numbers need to be synchronized as well. You can't do anything depending on frame rate (which we currently do a lot to make movements look smoother) if it changes the game state in any way.
    I'm also not sure if Unity is deterministic, so there's a good chance we'd have to replace parts of Unity with our own implementations.
    Basically you need to be "really careful" with all of your code, since every single line can potentially make the game non-deterministic, and it can be *really* hard to figure out where the problem is (since you don't get an error message telling you "the game crashed in this line of code"...it's just suddenly not synchronized anymore, and that might have been caused by something that happened many minutes in the past).
    You also need a way to deal with conflicts, e.g. two players editing the same coaster at the same time and giving conflicting inputs ("build right curve" vs "build left curve"). Either have a locking mechanism so it can't be edited by more than one person? Or some way to deal with the conflict?
    Not having built the game with multiplayer in mind from the beginning doesn't make it easier either...
    Then, if you got it running deterministically on your own machine, there's the problem that for example floating point math can produce different results on different CPU architectures, and here's at the latest where testing becomes a big problem (not that testing a multiplayer game with 1 programmer isn't hard already). Buy lots of CPUs?
    Remember, if you have just the slightest difference anywhere, even if it's just the 9th decimal place of some seemingly unimportant floating point number that's different, you get what's called the butterfly effect: the error accumulates over time, and suddenly for example somewhere a guest might take a right turn on one machine and a left turn on another machine, and on one machine he buys a ticket and on the other he doesn't, and on one machine you have enough money to build a ride and on the other you don't so your "Build Ride" input command fails, and suddenly, more and more, you got two totally different game worlds on both of your machines.

Sorry if this sounds super negative, haha
    Yes, it can be done! In fact I've worked on a prototype game like this before deciding to do Parkitect instead. But this is what you have to deal with, and that's just off the top of my head.

----

^It's not negative, it's realistic, well-thought out and gives lots of insight. I'm curious though, maybe something after the game is completed to discuss, but maybe the building together could be executed on a peep- employee and timeless map? This way the only variable is what objects are there and what actions we take instead of a coastercar etc. Just a hypothetical case, I'm always interested in the mechanisms behind the case. Knowing how hard it is to program even the smallest of programs, I really respect you guys for having encoded something this damn complicated.

A.3)Yeah, I wouldn't entirely rule something like that out for when we've got a real finished game.
    It'll be worth taking another look at this idea then at least.

• Steve%s's Photo
    I think this looks incredible and I want it to be finished immediately. They should make all the scenery already zero cleared as well, since it seems like they're already fulfilling all of our hopes and dreams anyway.
  • Version1%s's Photo

Q)Another question for the developers: have you thought about launched coasters? I would prefer a separate launch track, instead of launching out of the station. So, train moves out of station to launch track. It slows down until a complete stop and is launched after several seconds, clearing the track for the next launch.

There should probably also be rolling launch segments, which accelerate trains without stopping first (as in the more recently built multilaunch coasters).

A)That should be doable - launch track would work similar to block brakes (except always stopping the train, and high acceleration speed), rolling launch segment would be similar to chain/friction wheel lift.

Yes, that actually sounds great. Wasn't interested in the game before, but if it's done right I could get into it.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading