Related Games / Theme Parkitect, new RCT-based game

• Roomie%s's Photo

Muuuh, Those screens (and screen name) are 5Daves. incredible stuff. 

• 5dave%s's Photo

^Nope, they're not! ;)

"MFG"

• Roomie%s's Photo

Oh i thought they were haha. There was something on the PN thread that suggested it was.

• RRP%s's Photo

Dave just posted a reply in that thread roomie.Belzebub is 5dave on the PN forums

• RRP%s's Photo

24a95648d29b216edbd54a5e4d03c060fe00f66b

https://parkitectnex...e-train-coaster

ba598f9326b3f195aba6e7695572554019ec3ddc

https://parkitectnex...e48565/catwalks

• F0ndue%s's Photo

I've been having a blast with Parkitect, but I got several ideas how the coaster builder could be improved.

Diagonal curves:

- It would be great if diagonal curves (those that don't make full 90 degree turns) could be adjustable in size as well.

- I'd also be happy to be able to use them on slopes (RCT3 did that with several coaster types)

One mayor thing that bothers me is how you can easily use a curved transition from a steep track to a flat track but not the other way around (for that you need a straight piece of track that faces downwards. 

• RRP%s's Photo

I've been having a blast with Parkitect, but I got several ideas how the coaster builder could be improved.

Diagonal curves:

- It would be great if diagonal curves (those that don't make full 90 degree turns) could be adjustable in size as well.

- I'd also be happy to be able to use them on slopes (RCT3 did that with several coaster types)

One mayor thing that bothers me is how you can easily use a curved transition from a steep track to a flat track but not the other way around (for that you need a straight piece of track that faces downwards. 

The problem with diagonals is getting it to line up on the grid again, i think that's why they have been put on the back burner for now. Flat to steep curve is still planned i believe. For now:

http://parkitectnexu...2105/track-edit

• RRP%s's Photo

Devlog Update 104 + Alpha 3

Alpha 3 is now available for download! The full change log is at the end of this post.

tumblr_inline_o9qx04tqob1si3zx7_1280.jpg
    Riverwood Themepark (no mods), by xRBz

Devlog

Devlog Update 104! I guess that means 2 years of weekly devlogs, wow :)

Garret modeled a Motion Simulator ride during this weeks Art Stream. At just 2x2 tiles it is the smallest ride in the game and should work nicely to fill some gaps in parks that are running out of space.
    Getting the animation working in the game with the hydraulics and all turned out to be a bit more difficult than originally expected, but here it is:

tumblr_inline_o9qxobkvwv1si3zx7_500.gif

(Animation shortened for GIF)

And we added cloud shadows:

tumblr_inline_o9qxt8khZG1si3zx7_1280.png

They’re fairly subtle but help visualize the current weather a bit better.

Team

I’ve been the sole programmer working on Parkitect so far and it would’ve been cool to finish it alone… there’s a bunch of work left though and our sale numbers are looking good enough that we can afford to bring on some people to lower the work load and speed things up a bit, so Luuk and Tim from ParkitectNexus are joining us part time to help with programming tasks.
    Welcome to the team! :D

Alpha 3 Changelog

- added Motion Simulator
    - added Shark costume for Entertainer
    - added brick walls set and some industrial props
    - added sounds for Giga Coaster, Mini Coaster, Alpine Coaster, Suspended Coaster, Monorail, Ghost Mansion Ride, Inverted Dark Ride
    - added new path style
    - added paths don’t connect through walls and fences anymore
    - added paths don’t spawn handrails if wall/fence already exists in same location
    - added working queue signs
    - added text signs that can be put on paths and act as “no entry” signs
    - added underwater tunnels
    - added track tunnels automatically updating when terraforming
    - added search bar for blueprints
    - added embedding log flume tracks into water/terrain without spawning tunnels
    - added stats graphs for tracked rides
    - added cloud shadows
    - added Dutch names
    - improved the look of flowers
    - improved the look of tunnels (look darker on the inside)
    - improved savegame load times by up to ~50%
    - fixed a case where guests could queue for a closed attraction
    - fixed various issues with building fences
    - fixed guests rarely thought an empty queue is full and didn’t enter it
    - should fix very rare case where mechanics could get stuck in ride exit gates

• RRP%s's Photo

7d45b34826117e65679e4b8d67c0b5659d0fe20a

http://parkitectnexu...0/virginia-reel

d90b224832bd4476f87eb2861c7ca6b12eec39fc

http://parkitectnexu...riction-coaster

75a1bcab662c9682a0884addd28770a3916660cc

http://parkitectnexu...a8e4b/seat-ride

• Liampie%s's Photo

Seat Ride 1 looks too intense for me.

• 5dave%s's Photo

c2DjyAh.jpg

Duelling coaster I'Ve built recently.

"MFG"

• alex%s's Photo

That looks great.

• Richie%s's Photo

I bought this today, started a park. Realized the coaster building is more restricted that rct 2 =(

• muuuh%s's Photo

I bought this today, started a park. Realized the coaster building is more restricted that rct 2 =(

there you go:
    https://parkitectnex...2105/track-edit
  • Richie%s's Photo

Had a bit of a play, probably more progress than i ever made on rct2 =)

Cool game glad i tried it out finally

Attached File  20160713233200_1.jpg (87.61KB)
    downloads: 64

• RRP%s's Photo

Devlog Update 106

The parks you guys are building are getting crazier all the time, so I’ve spent the last two weeks almost entirely on performance optimizations.
    There are three major areas that have been improved.

Rendering

Big Parkitect parks can contain tens or even hundreds of thousands of objects, and Unity was not too great at rendering lots of individual objects so far.
    That’s why we’ve been eagerly looking forward to upgrade to Unity 5.4, which we’ve been testing over the last half year or so and which seems stable enough to use now.
    Unity 5.4 adds instancing, which is a technique that allows faster rendering of multiple copies of the same object and moves a bunch of work that previously needed to be done on the CPU over to the GPU. Due to the way scenery works in Parkitect the same objects are usually on screen tens or hundreds of times and as a simulation game we need all the CPU time we can get, so that’s perfect
    They also added experimental support for improved multithreaded rendering, which helps quite a bit as well.

Guests

We want to have as many guests in the park as possible, so they have already received the most attention for optimizations in the past.
    There were still some improvements left to be done though, especially for off-screen people.

Mouse picking

Some of the parks you’ve built got so big that even something as seemingly trivial as figuring out what object is below the mouse could become a performance problem.
    We’ve previously used Unitys mesh colliders for this; their intended purpose is more for adding physics interactions to a couple of objects, but it worked well enough in the past.
    Since the game received scenery and more content though we’ve seen parks were it could take up to a second to figure out what’s below the mouse in extreme cases…so we’ve replaced that with a custom solution now that’s more suited for our needs and brings that time down to a couple milliseconds.

Results

We’ve tested with a couple of different scenes. Here are some of the results on two of our test systems (graphs showing milliseconds required to calculate each frame, so less is better):

tumblr_inline_oadjbjx2HV1si3zx7_1280.jpgtumblr_inline_oagtplOY761si3zx7_1280.jpg

More stuff

Stuff going wrong can cause performance issues as well. Especially right after game updates we’re receiving a bunch of reports about strange issues and performance problems that are usually caused by mods not being compatible with the newest game version yet. Luuk worked on this error window that identifies broken mods and contains the error message so that the problem can be reported to the mod author:

tumblr_inline_oad7br0MRv1si3zx7_500.jpg

Tim worked on allowing to set specific colors for certain shop products:
    tumblr_inline_oagu71NgQC1si3zx7_540.jpg

And on this area delete tool that lets you select a bunch of objects at once (like the selection tool for creating blueprints) and then delete them:

tumblr_inline_oagugp5Sh91si3zx7_1280.jpg

And we’re displaying some of the controls on screen now depending on context, which should help new players (can be disabled). Eventually this should evolve into a proper tutorial.

tumblr_inline_oagu9bmnT01si3zx7_500.jpg

And there are some new palm trees:

tumblr_inline_oad75mkmta1si3zx7_1280.png

• muuuh%s's Photo
    I finally found time again to play some parkitect. Here's the first thing I built for the Aladdin area ;)

f6db9deb55fabaa3764a7401dba0ad6aa75eacd6
  • Louis!%s's Photo

Does anyone still play this?

• Roomie%s's Photo
    Of course. Just havent posted anything for a while now PC is out and dominating everyones time for now.

Bear in mind PT is made by just 3 guys so updates are quite a bit slower. Theyve been doing the economy stuff recently which isnt that exciting. We do have new Go Karts, Sky Fly and a few other flats as well.
  • mintliqueur%s's Photo

As amazing as PC seems to be, I've got to say this game excites me more... Probably because it looks more like RCT... Let's hope it gets more attention once the initial PC hype calms down!

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading