RCT Discussion / Top 5 RCT Coaster Designers of All Time

• bigshootergill%s's Photo

I thought this would be an interesting topic to throw out to the community. I'm always looking for ways to improve my coaster construction skills, since they're in dire need of help. I'd like to look closer at the best coasters on the site, learn from them, observe their design styles etc, and perhaps others would like to do the same. So here's the basic question I'm looking for your personal opinion on:

Who would you say are the Top 5 Coaster Designers of all time on NE Designs?

Thanks, looking forward to seeing what you have to say on the topic...

• wheres_walto%s's Photo

It'll be tough to make an argument against geewhzz and Phatage

• Liampie%s's Photo
    Good question, much harder than I thought at first...

Fatha: no explanation needed in my opinion.
    sacoasterfreak: Eversio Lemuria is the obvious demonstration of sa's talent, but RoB had more great coasters. And that's just one park.
    RRP: great in both his older work and his later realistic RCT2 stuff.

I know those three guys would make my top 5, but for the rest it's really difficult. I'll name a few names that come to mind.

- Turtle had his moments of brilliance (Faerie in Myst, the woodie in Red River Delta)
    - Panic did some gooood woodies
    - In recent times Cedarpoint6 is notorious for good realistic layouts. Most of his coasters are just layouts though, with not as much effort spent on the other aspects of good coaster design (as opposed to realistic coaster design). By the looks of it Seaworld will be better in this regard
    - The sickest woodie of all is SPQR, by Magnus. Not saying his other coasters are bad, but it seems kind of like a one hit wonder.
    - geewhzz knows what he's doing
    - disneylhand. El Encierro, Mountie, Thunderclap... Jupiter vs. fucking Apollo.
    - RMM. Sadly hasn't released much, but definitely has an eye for good coaster design.
    - Most of Steve's coasters are ace. Of course Fenrir, but Wildcat and his PT2 B&M and PT2 prelims too. Among others.
    - Evil WME: may seem like the odd one out, but he's notorious for his dueling coasters.
    - Slob maybe? Has been a while since I checked out his stuff in game...
    - 5Dave done some good stuff, but always quite small scaled. Would love to see 5dave on an x-sector scale.

Probably forgetting some names.
  • Louis!%s's Photo

Depends what you mean by designers. Plus it all depends on what you consider a decent layout to be, whether its about realism or not.

• G Force%s's Photo

CP6 for sure, some of the not only most realistic layouts but best layouts there are.  I'd put Geewhzz in that category as well.  Obviously many others, depending on how you like your coasters.

• alex%s's Photo

Cool topic. I don't know real life coasters or the ne community that well either so it'll be useful for me to look a lot of these up too. A few coasters that i've seen which I think are awesome though:

-Southport cyclone in Southport pleasure beach. Made by Louis! I think? Cool old school 'bobs' style wooden coaster.
    -Talisman in Pueblo Canyon boardwalk by Ride6.
    -the invert in Annapurna.
    -the invert in Jerusalem

• Liampie%s's Photo
    I thought Panic was responsible for Talisman?
  • Louis!%s's Photo

-Southport cyclone in Southport pleasure beach. Made by Louis! I think? Cool old school 'bobs' style wooden coaster.
    -the invert in Jerusalem

Thankyou and thankyou.

• alex%s's Photo

Well you probably know better than me.
    ][22's Valken is another awesome invert.

• robbie92%s's Photo

Jagganath

:p

• inthemanual%s's Photo

I've gotta say, I think coupon and myself are among the greats. Northwest represent!

Humor me Louis, it's basically an open discussion. Give your Top 3 of Fantasy and Top 3 of Realism.

Nothing like a personal claim to fame Tim!

• robbie92%s's Photo

Coupon's invert is the stuff of legend.

• inthemanual%s's Photo

I'm kidding, coupon and I are both garbage at layouts.

• Sephiroth%s's Photo

One word: Phatage. Still the most accurate Goliath/Titan clone ever made was done by him. Also still has the most accurate B:TR clone under his belt. His premier launcher was pretty boss too, as well as Medusa.

Then I would say Geewhzz. Not sure about who's in which position, but these two are my two favorites.

CP6 for obvious reasons.

And who can't mention Pac. Sure the floorless in Starpointe left a little to be desired, but Nighthawk was great and Intimidator was amazing. Also Ruishi was fantastic.

Rob is hit and miss. Sadly most of SFSF was miss for me, only really liked Cyclone. But when he hits it's a homerun. What we've seen of BGA has been phenomenal (dem B&M's doe....) so I'm really looking forward to that.

I'm kidding, coupon and I are both garbage at layouts.

Well I'm from south-western Canada, and I suck at layouts too... maybe there's something in the air over there :p

• Austin55%s's Photo

JDP?

• robbie92%s's Photo

Really, Fatha is an absolute must for this. Any viewing of BGSS will reveal that absolute tour de force that are the layouts, architecture, and landscaping in that park.

• Liampie%s's Photo

Really, Fatha is an absolute must for this. Any viewing of BGSS will reveal that absolute tour de force that are the layouts, architecture, and landscaping in that park.

Definitely. Not just BGSS. Fatha's Super Duper Get You Effed Up Scenario as well.
  • robbie92%s's Photo

Man, that hyper in there is phenomenal. As is the invert. And the woodie...

Tags