Theme Park Discussion / Roller Coaster Draft 2 Euro/Aussie Group

• FredD%s's Photo

^excellent pick. that's my #1 coaster (well water is, fire not so much)

So you haven't ridden Nemesis yet? #dta

I pick Prowler - Worlds of Fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfXIWyuPJZE

• Cocoa%s's Photo
    ^great choice :)
  • Louis!%s's Photo

So you haven't ridden Nemesis yet?

Nemesis doesn't even make my top 20.

• Version1%s's Photo

Heretic! Burn him!

• Sulakke%s's Photo

Lisebergbanan

• FredD%s's Photo

Nemesis doesn't even make my top 20.

WHUUUUUUUUT :o  Please explain, I know taste is personal but this is kinda hard to understand.  

• G Force%s's Photo
    Nemesis looks dumb, goes like 2mph and has a average layout at best.
  • Version1%s's Photo

Nemesis looks dumb,

There isn't a smiley in the world to show my feelings of hatred against this statement.

• FredD%s's Photo

There isn't a smiley in the world to show my feelings of hatred against this statement.

I'll join in on the hating. John Wardley is a genius for designing Nemesis. 

• Louis!%s's Photo

WHUUUUUUUUT :o  Please explain, I know taste is personal but this is kinda hard to understand.  

It's rough. I mean ok, it's not Intamin rough or anything, but its one of the roughest B&Ms. I get that it is old now, but it is what it is.

What you've also got to understand is that if I wanted to, I could drive 40mins and go ride it, any time I wanted. I've ridden it soooooooooo many times that it isn't anything special anymore. For you, it would rank higher, because you don't get the chance to ride it often, so every time you do it's a highlight.

Saying this, Oblivion is still one of my favourite coasters, I could ride this over and over, and have done, and it would still be special. The difference is, it isn't rough and is just 100% enjoyable. So I guess when you combine the roughness of Nemesis with the fact it isn't anything special to me now, you get a lower rated coaster.

I don't deny that Nemesis is a coaster that every enthusiast should come and ride, because it is a very good coaster, and would be in most people's top 10/20, but for me, it's meh. Would rather ride Oblivion at towers, probably even Air.

Plus, what I don't understand is how people can have rigid top 10's. My top 10 is ever changing, because a lot of my opinion on a coaster comes down to the experience at a certain time, and like I said, re-riding can change my opinion a lot.

My first time at Efteling, Joris was a decent coaster to me, but not in my top 10. I go back several months later and it's now my #1, pushing Silverstar down a place (which I also rode in the same trip).

So yeah, my opinions are ever changing and my top 10/20 switches all the time. I'm going to Towers at the weekend, I could ride Nemesis and think, WTF, this is great, this is a top 10 coaster lol

I'll join in on the hating. John Wardley is a genius for designing Nemesis. 

Please no. John Wardley is not a coaster designer. He did not design Nemesis. B&M did. He even states that he gets a lot more attention for it than he should. He oversaw the whole thing, and was involved in the process, definately was part of the decision to have it buried in the ground and came up with the theme. But he is not a coaster designer, that layout is not his.

I mean c'mon, he wanted to put a Batman clone there, not this layout. It's only cause of the height issues that never happened.

• MCI%s's Photo
    Nemesis looks dumb, goes like 2mph and has a average layout at best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umDr0mPuyQc

What you've also got to understand is that if I wanted to, I could drive 40mins and go ride it, any time I wanted. I've ridden it soooooooooo many times that it isn't anything special anymore. For you, it would rank higher, because you don't get the chance to ride it often, so every time you do it's a highlight.

I can relate to that. i live(d) 40min away from Expedition GeForce and while she´s still fun it´s nothing special anymore.

• Louis!%s's Photo

Also, I'll pick in a bit. I'm off out now, ill pick in around 5 hours or so.

• Austin55%s's Photo

Also, I'll pick in a bit. I'm off out now, ill pick in around 5 hours or so.

It takes 5 hours to decide on a Blue Fire clone? 

• Sulakke%s's Photo

^Hahaha

• FredD%s's Photo

It's rough. I mean ok, it's not Intamin rough or anything, but its one of the roughest B&Ms. I get that it is old now, but it is what it is.

I find this very weird. I didn't experience it rough at all... It's intense (as most Intamins are too), but rough is something else. I never got hit by the bar which happens on most old Vekoma's and it didn't shake at all. In that fact, it survived time better than Dragon Khan which is even more intense but a bit rough too for B&M standards.

It's funny how rough for B&M standards is still smooth for Vekoma standards :p

You realise you make me and other coaster maniacs here very jealous?! Damn, if I could reach Alton Towers in 40 minutes I'd know where I would spend all my free time :( I get what you're saying, but it still remains a world class coaster in one of the best themeparks of Europe. It's better than living near Plopsa and getting used to De Draak...

That said, I didn't ride it as much as you did but thanks to the Smiler incident I wouldn't have to wait at all few weeks ago. Almost never did I do so much re-rides.

Saying this, Oblivion is still one of my favourite coasters, I could ride this over and over, and have done, and it would still be special. The difference is, it isn't rough and is just 100% enjoyable. So I guess when you combine the roughness of Nemesis with the fact it isn't anything special to me now, you get a lower rated coaster.

Oh I love Oblivion too. It's under appreciated. Sure it's short but the coaster is build for the drop and nothing more. In my opinion, the best drop I've had on a dive coaster. I loved it.

Are you sure you aren't confusing roughness with intensity? Because both things can be uncomfortable but intensity can be experienced otherwise by each person. If you say Nemesis and most Intamins are rough it seems like you mean they are just to intense for you. Don't want to make you seem lake a pussy but couldn't that be it? That explains why you love Blue Fire while I find it way too soft :p

Plus, what I don't understand is how people can have rigid top 10's. My top 10 is ever changing, because a lot of my opinion on a coaster comes down to the experience at a certain time, and like I said, re-riding can change my opinion a lot.

My first time at Efteling, Joris was a decent coaster to me, but not in my top 10. I go back several months later and it's now my #1, pushing Silverstar down a place (which I also rode in the same trip).

Most of my top is pretty rigid. I just assume which coaster I'd like to do more when given the opportunity. Sometimes it's difficult. I always doubt between JEDD and Troy at Toverland. When I've just done Troy I find it better than JEDD. When I've done JEDD I'll say it is better than Troy. Some coasters are very close, others are pretty clear better or worse. Outlaw Run is undoubtedly my number one and it will have to take a lot to change that.

Please no. John Wardley is not a coaster designer. He did not design Nemesis. B&M did. He even states that he gets a lot more attention for it than he should. He oversaw the whole thing, and was involved in the process, definately was part of the decision to have it buried in the ground and came up with the theme. But he is not a coaster designer, that layout is not his.

I mean c'mon, he wanted to put a Batman clone there, not this layout. It's only cause of the height issues that never happened.

If he designed coasters or not, he clearly worked one some big and beautiful projects on the themepark industry. For Nemesis, it's being placed in the hole and the theme which makes it brilliant. Without it, it wouldn't be ranked so high.

I bought his book. The idea for Nemesis came up because they saw Batman, not that they were put the same clone at Alton. He clearly says in his book they wanted something unique and with a custom layout. First plan was to place a pipeline coaster btw, but luckily stepped of that idea when they did one and found out it was boring :p
  • Version1%s's Photo

Troy is like Joris en de Draak in bigger, better and faster lol

• Louis!%s's Photo

Are you sure you aren't confusing roughness with intensity? Because both things can be uncomfortable but intensity can be experienced otherwise by each person. If you say Nemesis and most Intamins are rough it seems like you mean they are just to intense for you. D

No, cause Colossus is not intense, and is rough, Bob is not intense, and is rough, Rita is not intense, and is rough. Montu is intense and isn't rough. Etc...

I bought his book. The idea for Nemesis came up because they saw Batman, not that they were put the same clone at Alton. He clearly says in his book they wanted something unique and with a custom layout. First plan was to place a pipeline coaster btw, but luckily stepped of that idea when they did one and found out it was boring :p

His book clearly contradicts what he spoke about at Towers several years back then :p

I pick the blue fire Megacoaster clone: Battle of Blue Fire

• Maverix%s's Photo

Louis with the surprise pick of this draft...

• Stoksy%s's Photo

Great White: http://rcdb.com/278.htm

• Cocoa%s's Photo
    Laaaame (@louis)

I reckon before we vote everyone should get 24 hrs to make one collage screen of their lineup so we can easier see what we're voting for

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading