RCT Discussion / OpenRCT: advantages and disadvantages

• dr dirt%s's Photo
    True multiplayer is pretty awesome. If this progresses to removing the data limit and scenery selection limit it'll be very much worthwhile. As it is now I don't see the problem with doing everything with 8cars which takes a second and includes all the hacks we need. I hope they can get the limits broken and these steps to make the game more modular it'll be huge.
  • Faas%s's Photo

I don't know if I like the fact that (in the future) we can change a lot of how the game works with openRCT. "Oh this doesn't work? Let's change how the game works in my favour." is a lot less fun than "Oh this doesn't work? Let's find a creative way to make it work within the limits of the game."

• Chocotopian%s's Photo

To be fair though Faas, that's precisely what CSOs do. Players wanted finer details and specific objects, rides paths etc. so they were made. The game has been pushed to its limits, broken and changed since it first came out.

• bigshootergill%s's Photo

Does OpenRCT have hotkeys? I seemed to think it didn't, which I use a lot in my building. I haven't played with it enough to know.

Also, does using zero clearance reduce or eliminate ghost objects?

• csw%s's Photo

No hotkeys would definitely be a dealbreaker. 

• MCI%s's Photo

It has hotkeys.

It has hotkeys
    Are they editable? 
  • MCI%s's Photo

^yes

• inthemanual%s's Photo
    Saving the game in openRCT2 removes all ghost objects.

^ so could we open PoE, save it and it would completely clean all shogo's ghosts?

• RWE%s's Photo

OpenRCT2 sounds pretty good. makes me wanna build a gain. How does it work with invisible entrances and exits?

• Louis!%s's Photo

I played RCT for the first time yesterday since July last year. All because of openRCT

• Mattk48%s's Photo

what did you think of it. I'm interested in trying the new merging, i'm going to give it a download

• X7123M3-256%s's Photo

RWE:

OpenRCT2 sounds pretty good. makes me wanna build a gain. How does it work with invisible entrances and exits?

OpenRCT2 has a "No Entrance" entrance style, but this is not backward compatible with vanilla RCT2 (it will crash the game). You can work around this by going to the tile inspector and clicking "insert corrupt element", which will hide the element above it. This can also be used to hide any other type of element. It's even possible to remove specific sprites from a tile, which is interesting - you can remove part of a large scenery item and leave the rest in place (can trainers do this? I never used them so I'm not sure).

• Louis!%s's Photo

what did you think of it. I'm interested in trying the new merging, i'm going to give it a download

I think its worth using. No disc needed, large window-mode, zero-c in game that is superior to 8cars, there's a whole lot of good that makes it useful enough already.

• inthemanual%s's Photo

RWE:

OpenRCT2 has a "No Entrance" entrance style, but this is not backward compatible with vanilla RCT2 (it will crash the game). You can work around this by going to the tile inspector and clicking "insert corrupt element", which will hide the element above it. This can also be used to hide any other type of element. It's even possible to remove specific sprites from a tile, which is interesting - you can remove part of a large scenery item and leave the rest in place (can trainers do this? I never used them so I'm not sure).

Yeah, you can hide or replace all or part of any object. The hack we use does mostly the same thing as the "insert corrupt element" button.
  • alex%s's Photo

omg those individual Goliath letters! How do I access this tile inspector?

edit: nevermind I found it (under debug tools). Although I have no idea how to use it... I can click a tile and it has the information of what's on it it but no way to edit it.

• phann%s's Photo

Here it's explained. https://www.youtube....h?v=kVgy147Ykow

As far as I know, using a corrupt element like that 'works' in RCT2, but does not show anything on the tile (scenery that you used to replace the entrances etc)

• X7123M3-256%s's Photo

What happens is that in RCT2, a corrupt element hides every element above it, not just the next one. So if you want it to look the same in RCT2 as it does in OpenRCT2, you have to make sure that all the elements you don't want to hide are below any corrupt ones.

The tile inspector does allow you to rearrange elements in the list. I'm not sure whether the element has to be below the corrupt one in the list or actually physically below it; if the latter I don't think you can do it in OpenRCT2 yet as you can't change an elements actual height.

• RWE%s's Photo

Thank you for your answers. I definitely gonna give OpenRCT2 a try. Ive plans for a new big project, but im to lazy to begin. Maybe this can motivate me to get started!

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading