RCT Discussion / OpenRCT: advantages and disadvantages

• bigshootergill%s's Photo

Not sure why, but my openrct doesn't have the two menus after the Disc button on the left hand side of the screen. It's the discolored land button and the gears button, which it seems contains the zero clearance, plus a few other goodies. Any idea why? I had an older version, I tried the latest version today. Both are the same.

• G Force%s's Photo

Options --> Controls and Interface --> Cheats

Options --> Misc --> Enable Debugging tools

• Steve%s's Photo

Finally got this running on my Mac OSX! Now I have no excuse not to build anything.

I never not hated building supports until now with openrct's zero clearance. No freakin' ghost objects and glitchy scenery & tracks while building them. So great!

• Faas%s's Photo

It's a disadvantage that I'm no longer in the title screen. 

^ Maybe they can use Sasquatch for the new one

• Lotte%s's Photo

I never got any thanks for getting all the NCSO'ers I could into the title screen :p

• MCI%s's Photo

I never got any thanks for getting all the NCSO'ers I could into the title screen :p

Thanks mate! :D
  • RCT2day%s's Photo

Still bitter about that...

• FredD%s's Photo
    Since I got OpenRCT2 to work, I can't see myself going back to regular rct2 anymore. Sure, I will need it to do some hacks that aren't possible in OpenRCT2. So FUCK will be an OpenRCT2 park release, it's quite impossible to view the park in regular rct2 without getting error trappers the whole time anyway.
  • Jappy%s's Photo

I'm quite interested in OpenRCT2, but I'm terrible with computers. What I need is an extensive, simple guide on how to install and run it, since I can't find my way with the downloads on the page and guides.

• Six Frags%s's Photo

I haven't opened openrct2 parks in regular rct2, but what exactly happens if you for example used the 'insert corrupt element' function to make a track invisible?

I'm quite interested in OpenRCT2, but I'm terrible with computers. What I need is an extensive, simple guide on how to install and run it, since I can't find my way with the downloads on the page and guides.

Perhaps someone can explain it better than me. But all I did is download it, and extract the files into a separate file folder with my saved games on my hard drive (labelled it "OpenRCT"). You don't need to "install" it, it will run from the .exe file. There is a dialog window that comes up, and there may be some delay before OpenRCT itself starts running, just be patient for a couple minutes. Pretty simple actually. 

• mintliqueur%s's Photo

^There's also an installer that's probably much easier to use for those who aren't good with computers. Just choose the "Windows installer"-option at the downloads-page.

• phann%s's Photo

I haven't opened openrct2 parks in regular rct2, but what exactly happens if you for example used the 'insert corrupt element' function to make a track invisible?

Tried it, whenever you use a corrupt element it works good in openrct, but not in RCT2. It wont show anything build on the corrupted tile, and will probably give an error trapper when you build scenery on the tile (to replace default entrances etc). It will show big scenery like path tiles, but small scenery won't show in 2.

d42f40a757c5fa57b9cf4991bcfc7c79.pngI don't know why this happens.

Best go is to use the normal invisible hack in 2. 

I think the best building option is to do the normal building in openrct, use MOM in rct2 to hack tracks in the right places where it needs to be. Only when everything is done what needs to be done in rct2 you can use the corrupt element option and / or the invisble entrance option in openrct. It won't be compatible anymore with rct2, but viewing finished parks is a lot nicer in openrct (cause of the uncapped fps wich smoothens the game so much more).

Also when you use the geehack in 2, it works in openrct as in not showing the entrances/track when you delete the dummy track.

• X7123M3-256%s's Photo

There's an incompatability in the way RCT2 and OpenRCT2 handle corrupt elements. In OpenRCT2, a corrupt element hides the element above it. In vanilla RCT2, a corrupt element hides every element above it. This is why scenery doesn't show on the tile, but paths do (they are typically the lowest item on this tile apart from the terrain).

In OpenRCT2, it's actually possible to use a corrupt element to hide the land tile itself by moving the corrupt element below the land (I don't know if this works in vanilla). That produces quite a strange effect, because RCT2 does not clear the screen prior to drawing each frame, instead assuming that every on screen pixel is covered by a tile (even outside the map boundaries, the game is actually rendering black tiles). If you hide the land tile, anything drawn in front of the hidden tile will persist until something else overwrites it.

• Gymnasiast%s's Photo

Gymnasiast from OpenRCT2 here. :)

Earlier this evening I pushed a fix that should make invisibility hacks made in RCT2 show up correctly. OpenRCT2 also still supports its own type of corrupt element (that just hides the element following it), but invisibility hacks that show correctly in RCT2 should now also show up correctly in OpenRCT2.

We would like it if anyone that had a park not rendering correctly in OpenRCT2 updates to the newest version of OpenRCT2 to check if it now renders correctly.

• janisozaur%s's Photo

Hi, another OpenRCT2 dev here.

We have now also a fix for the issue that caused Cocopa Bay park (mentioned in the initial post) not to work.

• Cocoa%s's Photo

yay! I love it when devs visit us, makes me feel special. maybe I should try out this thing ...

• Maxwell%s's Photo

As someone who has kind of fallen off from the main game but has just recently tried out OpenRCT, I can say without a doubt to anyone on here who is unsure it is definitely worth your time and effort checking out. To me all the great features outweigh the lack thereof and the bugs, and it has really motivated me getting back into some serious building since it's just so damn easy now!

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading