RCT Discussion / OpenRCT: advantages and disadvantages

• Cocoa%s's Photo
    Forgive me if this has been answered, but does openrct2 stop big/crowded parks from lagging? I assume thats something wrong with the original game coz my computer is definitely good enough to handle it!

Keep up the good work :)
  • Lagom%s's Photo

Is it possible for you guys to add a black land texture? Instead of using black tile objects, you could simply "paint" the ground black. That would save a ton of objects.

• janisozaur%s's Photo
    @Cocoa why don't you just try?

@Lagom please file an issue for that.
  • janisozaur%s's Photo
    @Scoop we eventually will switch to our own format, which will have one way conversion *from* rct2 so we can lift the limits and provide new features, just like openttd. I highly doubt there's anyone still playing vanilla ttd.
  • Cocoa%s's Photo

haha you've caught me, I'll go download it now :p

• Cocoa%s's Photo

when I try and run the game (have been using the launcher) I get the following error:

Attached Image: open.PNG

the game runs anyway though, so I shouldn't worry I guess? I feel like plugin.dat is my windowed mode thing from vanilla rct2.

• G Force%s's Photo
    I have the same issue, I believe it's due to corrupt object data files. Specific Amazing Earl custom rides. They show up in game but are missing in my object data folder, causing the mismatch. I don't think it's a problem though.
  • Six Frags%s's Photo

We won't support that. We aim to have a compatibility of a park created in RCT2 to show up the same in OpenRCT2, but we will not bother doing it the other way round. There's simply no rationale behind such compatibility.

Yeah well, in that case I would be better off playing RCT Modified as it basically does the same thing..

• inthemanual%s's Photo
    ...what? OpenRCT2 is packed with tons of features that modified never even dreamed of. OpenRCT2 is a total improvement on a ton of aspects of the game, while Modified only changed g1.dat.
  • Six Frags%s's Photo

What i meant is that it basically now has the same value as Modified does, as it's not compatible with RCT2, meaning that people who are viewing Open parks in RCT2 won't see certain hacks done..

I guess it's it's still somewhat useful if you don't want to run rct2 windowed while zero-clearancing or want to play multiplayer mode, but other than that I don't see much uses for it the way we use it (with most MoM hacks).

• X7123M3-256%s's Photo

I'd rather the developers not go out of their way to have OpenRCT2 parks look the same in vanilla. If you wanted to do that then OpenRCT2 would be restricted to only features that could be implemented through a trainer instead, which makes it rather limited. Right now that's pretty much the case, but if you want to do things like removing the object limit you have to change the save format, which would completely break backward compatability.

• inthemanual%s's Photo
    @six frags: the only uses for MOM that aren't doable in openRCT2 are offsetting heights for things like track and path, and mass raising/lowering. The two most frequent uses (merging and lowering objects into tiles [diagonal path, or large trees on slopes]) are covered by the games zero clearance function. The only other thing the game can't really do right now is rotate huts.

And I think you're missing that almost everything you can do IS reverse compatible, except for a few features, which are pretty clearly marked as such. You can even make their version of the invisibility hack work backwards, by reordering objects on the tile.
  • Ling%s's Photo

The biggest problem with OpenRCT2 that I see right now is that the peep pathing is clearly completely different from base RCT2. In the most recent competition over on Reddit so many of the entries have peeps piled up in random spots trying to get to obviously accessible locations. They choose incorrect travel directions for no apparent reason. If the same park is opened in RCT2, the crowds disperse automatically and find their way to their destination without issue. No idea what causes this, but it's a far more serious problem than entrance/exit huts not being visible in one game or the other. 

• mintliqueur%s's Photo

Great to see some of the OpenRCT2 devs in here! Over all OpenRCT2 is getting better and better and better. Personally I don't see any need for the original game any more, but then again I've never been doing any advanced hacking with 8cars...

X7123 etc.: What platforms will your renderer run on when it's finished? Would it be possible to get it working on older versions of Mac OS X? (10.6.8, to be precise).

• X7123M3-256%s's Photo

X7123 etc.: What platforms will your renderer run on when it's finished? Would it be possible to get it working on older versions of Mac OS X? (10.6.8, to be precise).

My renderer is written in C on top of GTK+. It should be possible to compile it for Mac, though I can't test it on that platform because I don't have a computer that runs Mac OS. The source code is here if you want to try.

For the past few months I've felt like it's nearly finished, but that's not really the case. There are a large number of bugs resulting from abuse of pointers and mutable state that can't be fixed without a major refactor, it segfaults at the slightest provocation, and I want to generalize the code to handle custom scenery which is a big change, because it means that much of the backend code needs to be split off into seperate libraries.

• mintliqueur%s's Photo

Ok, I might try doing that when the program's ready

• Cocoa%s's Photo

so... do we have any NE multiplayer servers up and running? :D

• Kumba%s's Photo

Been keeping an eye on OpenRCT2 for a while and must say I am very impressed by what the team has done with it. The bug warnings on the site have kept me from trying it while finishing finishing Scientifica (Logos) plus that park was really old and since my 2006 PC still works, I wanted to stick with it. I also did/will do my survivor area without Open, but since seeing a G Force stream that really showed off how well the no clearance check function work, I have been eager to try it. I have likely wasted months of my life just minimizing RCT to go back and forth to trainers to zero and restore, so that looks like magic to me.

I kinda get what Six Frags was saying a few posts ago. For guys like us (also Gee, ITM, CP6 and of course Levis when he's in the mood), there is not too much we figure a new trainer/program can do. I am surprised, but very happy, that after over 15 years of RCT it seems Open is a huge upgrade to past trainers. Thank you guys so much for all the work you have done to make this happen!

Pretty much the only thing I cannot do with the SoB, 8Cars 1.21-1.32 and ParkDat is remove a black hole since I have never been good with winhack. Does Open have a feature that can be used to remove a black hole from a park made in RCT2? Not just a regular one, but also ones with track and ones that span a few tiles. If it can do that, OpenRCT2 seems to be the perfect tool for the future of the game :)

• X7123M3-256%s's Photo

What's a black hole? OpenRCT2 provides a tile editor which allows you to directly reorder/remove any sprite on the map - might that help?

• Kumba%s's Photo

It's a corrupted game tile. They normally turn black and sometimes have animation errors that you can glimpse inside them.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading