NE Olympics '16 / July 7th: 50x50 Improvising

• Zaiush%s's Photo
    Zaiush. Do you have any kind of breakdown of who built what? With so many builders I'm curious what parts everyone built. The style was pretty cohesive

This is going to take a long while and is nowhere near cohesive, especially with multiplayer happening, but...:

Zeph began with an asian theme and the bridge, as well as the canal side of the slums, Space did a large amount of the high class side of the river, incl the mini mine coaster, Dobie did almost all the supporting and began the water coaster, I made the other half of the slums as well as the swing and the final water coaster theming and mountain, and the station, and the readme, Merzbow did innumerable small things, and Coupon did the station hut hacks and the swing hacks.

It's very hard to lose track of who did what in multiplayer, where a huge amount was built. For example, the two buildings on either side of the queue for Huanglong were by Zeph but I made the station using their existing design language. 

While we are lsited with (rounded and remaindered) percentages, we decided that since nobody had a majority quibbling over percents of work would be a waste and we just decided to split it. Hey, the hall of fame score listing from NE4 is gone, so it's somewhat irrelevant what percents are if everyone did a minority.

• DobieShep%s's Photo
    I mainly was responsible for the coasters and supporting of them all. The design of the intamin coaster was significantly mine, especially the lift supports, loop, and generally the first half of the ride. The water coaster was mostly my doing as well as the idea behind the theming for it. I did some of the supporting of that ride as well.
  • CHE%s's Photo

All parks open fine in OpenRCT for me :D As I expected another team was inspired by the asian objects. Great parks, really enjoyed my first look at all of them.

• Louis!%s's Photo

I did read your initial post first actually, I just assumed it was because of the WW Vanilla RCT problem.  Which is understandable.  However I didn't think it would extend to a park literally not working because of an error trapper in OpenRCT due to something the builders did in the park.  That feel a bit unfair to me.  Everyone followed the rules except for the unavoidable WW issue except for the "What Lurks" park... and the builder of that map happens to change the rules to the event right before the parks are released?  

I could care less about the results of this even or the contest, but someone breaking the rules then changing them that to directly benefit their team is the definition "child like."

Some of them I can't open in OpenRCT, some of them I can't open in regular RCT. And its not just the WW issue, as I have WW. It's not just one park. I also had this issue in the last round too. There seems to be a problem with OpenRCT at the minute affecting saves.

• X7123M3-256%s's Photo

I got an assertion failure trying to open What Lurks, but after commenting out the assertion and replacing it with an early return, all the parks ran fine in OpenRCT2 (latest develop). I did not test in vanilla.

• Liampie%s's Photo

See, G Force? You keep bringing up the assumption that I changed the rules to benefit my own team. That's why it doesn't matter what anyone says. You're the definition of "tunnel vision" right now with your stubborn narrative on corrupt admins and shit.

• Kumba%s's Photo

While I love to jump on the admins and accuse them of cheating (a true pastime in any contest here) that rules tweak makes a lot of sense. I have never used Open, so how would I even know if my submission would not work in it?

Great jobs on the parks this round, they all look great! Wonderful work by 13 and Jag getting ours done, such great ideas in it. btw, just me or is What Lurks totally the equivalent of SoK to Fright Nights? :lol:

• chorkiel%s's Photo

did we literally get beaten to being the first vaporwave park on NE? fml

Heck yeah.

Initially I wanted to ask the admins to change the title of my park to just Vaporwave, but I love how this website processes that font. :) Enjoyed working on this park. The inspiration came from camcorder22. Thanks for that.

Long hegu:
    Really good job on not showing how disastrous this bench really was. Very good entry. Huanglong is such a cool coaster, especially that loop was great.
    75%

Vernon Disney:
    This was quite funny. Good job. Wished it was bigger.
    [Kumba's team has a spelling error in park name joke]
    75%

Bamboo gardens:
    Very spacious which made it look good but unfortunately it also made it lack a bit in content. (I'll admit that this could come off a bit hypocritical from me.)
    70%

Abu Al Sheikh:
    This looked all around quite even though you used a lot of those really disastrous objects, which gets you bonus points in my book. Don't think I've ever seen a Dinghy going over an entrance.
    75%

What Lurks:
    An excellent design in a round full of parks. Mostly liked it but heavily disliked the foliage.
    65%

I can't open Parkmeni Studios in either game. Does anyone else have that problem? I'll wait on voting to see if it can get sorted out.

• Lilith%s's Photo
    I opened all parks in vanilla with no problems. I didn't try open. I have triple thrill pack on steam so that's probably the WW issue not affecting me
  • GammaZero%s's Photo

I opened all parks in vanilla with no problems. I didn't try open. I have triple thrill pack so that's probably the WW issue not affecting me

• bigshootergill%s's Photo

Quick Review in file name order:

Bamboo Gardens: Great theme choice for this bench, the kiddie panda ride was a perfect fit. Firecracker was a cool coaster, and I loved the multi-structure station you put together here. Overall you used the bench's objects very nicely to put together your archy. And they foliage was fairly well done provided what the object selection gave you. Almost hard to tell you had a crappy set of objects to use.

Long Hegu: Someone had some fun with trackitecture in this park, tons of roofs and some coaster supports. I like the little blocks of buildings you grouped together, could have used some more space on the pathways, need a touch more room to breath and for guests to rove about. Huanglong was a zippy little coaster. Foliage/landscaping needed some work, but overall I enjoyed it.

Aby Al Sheikh Amusement Park: Boom! Loved the park entrance buildings right off the bat. Great little mixture of colors and objects! I can't tell if I like the mountains, or find them way out of place, but I'll go for the former. It looks like a touch of Cocoa's new design. Sultan's Rampage is a lot of fun, it's got some pep in it's step. For some reason foliage is really catching my eye in these parks, perhaps given the objects provided, but I thought you took a fresh angle on how you used the trees, bushes and flowers. Pretty cool stuff.

Parkmeni Picture Studios: Why not have a hippy van ride tucked in with the Asian buildings! :D This park screams Faas, though I guess he only did 50%. Clever flag creation on Sergei Hood Woodie. I'm digging the use of the crazy objects in this park more, like the grey mountains, the skull head in the Pirates of Caspian. Without pinpointing everything, I really enjoyed the entire park except for Space Wars, seemed like it didn't fit in with the rest of the park. Great work guys!

Vaporwave: Purple! Purple! Purple! Yippee for Coke Trucks. I guess you were going for trippy, and if so, you succeeded! Other than that, how did you build on this park for 69 years?

Vernon Disney's Magic Realm: The themeing of Thunderclap Frenzy is really great, cool to work in the skeletons, fire balls etc. I touch overkill on the mountains. You guys pulled of some fairly decent architecture in here, with a few odd buildings sticking out. Even the themeing of Loofy's Pirate Hunt was pretty cool.

What Lurks: Fun coaster layout, always a fan of meandering coasters before their lift/launch, even if it's not overly realistic. And the reversing sections of Lurker was really cool For archy, I liked the uniqueness and variety of all the little buildings scattered throughout the swamp, added in with the trees it adds to just the right atmosphere! 

For my top 2 picks I'm going to have go with:

[1] Parkmeni Studios 

[2] Aby Al Sheikh Amusement Park

Nice work to everyone, some surprisingly great parks were created from the bowels of rct crap! :p

• Tolsimir%s's Photo

Long hegu:

Nice park. I like the coaster lift with the loop beneath it, good idea nicely done. Generally the whole coaster was well done. The overall archy was a bit too blocky, especially everything being only one story buildings did not help. The cave around the water coaster was a bit bare and had no reasonable connection to rest of the theming. I liked the wooden arch bridge.

Vernon Disney:
    I think a lot in this park is texturally an eyesore. The canyon area was just one object and did not look good. Same for the castle. The wall texture did not work for me here. In the entrance area I cannot see why people like it so much. Enormous scale plus the Six Frags memorial roof objects make it too bad looking for me. What I liked was the indoor ride. Especially the ship object was used very well. All in all the whole park is very uncohesive.

Bamboo gardens:
    This park was very cute. Nothing big to nag here. I liked the coasters both, good choice with the panda ride. The archy missed a bit variety and there was not so much to see on a whole. Nevertheless nice park.

Abu Al Sheikh:
    Obvious winner of the round. Phenomenal piece of work. You don't even realize it was made with the desastrous bench. Nice colours and accents everywhere. Only thing I missed was a real pool. Surely, the beach in one corner should be this but a more prominent spot would have been better. The coaster's station building was also a bit not on par with the rest of the park.

Parkmeni Studios:

Great park, guys. Liked all the little buildings and ideas. I did not look at the park until the release, sorry for that :p but I'm positively surprised. The woody is really nice and fits very well. As someone already said, the star wars ride was a bit unfitting but the rest well done!

In the end it was a tough choice between Parkmeni and Bamboo gardens for second place, but I went with the Studios as there was more to see in the end.

• Cocoa%s's Photo

ok another round of reviewing as I go!

long hegu:

some parts were really good and some were a bit bare and awkward but its a great entry all round from you guys. I can definitely see some solid improvement. I would have loved to see the awkward objects used more, and also more... creatively.

vernon disney's:

I really loved this. the concept and details were hilarious and fit the vibe of the round so well, and it also had plenty of really smart object use and still looked pretty. great atmosphere and execution. I love when so meticulously

what lurks:

also really enjoyed this. the castle was phenomenal, and the layout was truly a pleasure to watch. the suroundings and landscape were all atmospheric and so well done. I haven't seen this type of ride or vibe in a while and it was really refreshing to see it done so well. excellent job again parkmenistan!

parkmeni pictures studios:

another really awesome, tongue-in-cheek entry. loved the russian knockoff vibe, with some really lovely object use and pretty stuff all around. in retrospect this probably would not have been my 2nd vote (give that to what lurks), but at the time I just thought it was so fun.

bamboo gardens:

this one is also really pretty. it probably held my attention for less time than others but was the most clean and well put together imo. I would definitely give it design for whatever that's worth.

vaporwave:

somehow more depressing than ivo's weird shit

abu al sheikh:

wow, great job finishing this one off. we have a good chemistry I reckon, and this one came together pretty well. woo timbabwe

• Louis!%s's Photo

Results

The poll has been closed, the votes counted, and these are the results! The medal table has been updated.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

1st - Timbabwe

Abu Al Sheikh Amusement Park by Stoksy (35%), Cocoa (25%), Dimi (25%) and gdb (15%)

13 winner votes (x 2)
    6 runner-up votes

Timbabwe earns 10 points

- - - - - - - - - - - -

2nd - Parkmenistan

Parkmeni Pictures Studios by Faas (50%) and Alex (50%)

8 winner votes (x 2)
    7 runner-up votes

Parkmenistan earns 8 points

- - - - - - - - - - - -

3rd - Kingdom of Ni

Vernon Disney's Magic Realm - An Alternate Universe Park by thirteen (75%) and Jaguar (25%)

4 winner votes (x 2)
    5 runner-up votes

Kingdom of earns 6 points

- - - - - - - - - - - -

4th - Aesthetica

Lóng Hégu by DobieShep, Merzbow666, spacek5311, Zaiush, Coupon and zeph_yr

3 winner votes (x 2)
    6 runner-up votes

Aesthetica earns 4 points

- - - - - - - - - - - -

5th - Parkmenistan

What Lurks by Liampie (65%) and Tolsimir (35%)

2 winner votes (x 2)
    5 runner-up votes

Parkmenistan earns 2 points

- - - - - - - - - - - -

6th - Relaxembourg

Bamboo Gardens by CHE (40%), G Force (30%) and GammaZero (30%)

0 winner votes (x 2)
    1 runner-up votes

Relaxembour earns 0 points

- - - - - - - - - - - -

7th - Coaster Rica

V A P O R W A V E by chorkiel (100%)

0 winner votes (x 2)
    0 runner-up votes

Coaster Rica earns 0 points

• GammaZero%s's Photo
    YESSS ZERO POINT HYPE
  • chorkiel%s's Photo

Zero  point  hype!

• Zaiush%s's Photo

Well I had obviously hoped to perform better but we all did eachother proud. Votes came out right about how they should have.

• Jaguar%s's Photo

Well, looks like the sun set on the Kingdom of Ni... :(

Great job though!

• csw%s's Photo

Obviously I'm too late to vote but

I could only open Abu al Sheikh, Bamboo Gardens, and What Lurks. got WW errors on the others

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading