• G Force
    • GammaZero
    • Lilith
    • Cocoa
    • RWE
    • CHE
    Percentage of vote: 52.63%
  • FredD%s's Photo

Via Lactea is just one of the most amazing releases on this site. It's one of the best and more original submissions for a contest of the last NE contests. So no, I didn't throw my votes away. The winner is clear imo. 

• Faas%s's Photo
    Yeah but I don't think your vote is counted.
  • FredD%s's Photo

And btw, I did install rct1 by now and I watched the Relaxembourg NP in game now. See screen for evidence.

SCR1.jpg

I stay by my vote. This is of course way better than Liam's submission. But not amazing as Via Lactea. Anyone has his own opinion. I liked Relaxembourgs submission but to compare: this is Wayne Rooney. Via Lactea is Messi. 

• csw%s's Photo

Hey I didn't put those entertainers there!

• G Force%s's Photo

Soooooo... results?

• Liampie%s's Photo

Results

The poll has been closed, the votes counted, and these are the results! The medal table has been updated.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

1st - Relaxembourg

Relaxembourg National Park by csw (100%)

10 winner votes (x 2)
    8 runner-up votes

Relaxembourg earns 15 points

- - - - - - - - - - - -

2nd - Kingdom of Ni

Via Lactea by Jaguar (100%)

8 winner votes (x 2)
    10 runner-up votes

Kingdom of Ni earns 12 points

- - - - - - - - - - - -

3rd - Parkmenistan

Living the Life by Liampie (100%)

0 winner votes (x 2)
    0 runner-up votes

[center]Parkmenistan earns 9 points

• Cocoa%s's Photo

damn that was an easy 9 points for parkmenistan, lol

• Recurious%s's Photo

I don't want to be "that guy" but it's kinda unfair since Liampie could see whether other countries would submit a park because he is a mod and can see the other subforums. Therefore he could quickly make a submission one hour before the deadline and grab 9 points. But whatever I don't really care.

• chorkiel%s's Photo

Damn. We should have send in a grasslands for the 6 points by default left. lol

• Liampie%s's Photo
    It's only unfair if your assumpation that I abused my position is correct. Besides, I announced to all flagbearers like three weeks ago that we weren't expecting many entries, so any team would've known.
  • bigshootergill%s's Photo

And it's not like it was a secret that participation was slacking off in the contest, many disciplines weren't even receiving the required number of votes. I was considering building a quick map like Liam for our team, thinking we'd possibly pick up a free 6 points, but I didn't really care that much, this was more of a relaxed contest anyway.

• Louis!%s's Photo

I can vouch that Liam was entering before knowing the amount of entries.

If I had submitted something, it would be much more questionable.

On the other hand though, should an entry recieve points if no one votes for it :p but thats a conversation for future editions, improvements for next time.

• csw%s's Photo

Wait....we got 1st? Via Lactea seemed way more popular from the comments. Thanks to everyone who voted, glad Relaxembourg got more than 1 point :p

• Liampie%s's Photo
    Via Lactea was the most intersting map, yours was the best landscape.
  • Jaguar%s's Photo

Unfortunately the people passionate about something innovative and different were outnumbered by the 'space is not a landscape' circlejerk.

• Louis!%s's Photo

^I just preferred the Relaxembourg entry.

Had nothing to do with the argument of whether or not your entry was a landscape, which I would consider it as.

• Jaguar%s's Photo

Living the Life
    I think Via Lactea only borderline qualifies as a landscape. It feels like you had an idea and shoehorned it into whatever discipline's objective came closest. 

Via Lactea: This was really cool, but errr, is it really a landscape?  The little landscaping on the map was well done, the ships were quite cool as well.  Overall an interesting concept but rides the line of a landscape to much for me to give it first place.

That's fine, but IMO it didn't fit the contest too much, even if it was permitted.

I think the difference between Asteroid Fields and this as a landscape is that the celestial bodies in Asteroid Fields had a surface. Actual land. 

landscape
    noun
    a section or expanse of rural scenery, usually extensive, that can beseen from a single viewpoint.

rural
    adjective

• in, relating to, or characteristic of the countryside rather than the town.

So no, Via Lactea does not count as a landscape

I guess its a bit ambiguous about how much of a landscape it is but i reckon its fine and I enjoyed it anyway so kudos to you

Csw did a good job and whatnot and I know it's probably just the sleep deprivation and a series of events here and there getting to me but is it okay for to get a little frustrated? I had to meticulously place thousands of little water tiles hundreds of feet above a massive wall of stars and try to make some of the game's most useless objects look good in a concept that has never been executed before just to watch it get tossed aside...

• Louis!%s's Photo

It didn't get tossed aside at all. And I actually think you saying that it did is disrespectful to the winner of the round. It was a very tight round, it's not like you got tossed aside at all. The last quote you've put in your post even says that they think its fine as a landscape.

I think it is fine to be frustrated, of course it is, but I wouldn't worry about the comments on whether the entry was a landscape or not, enough people felt it was, and I felt it was, hence why it didn't get disqualified. I'd just be more frustrated that you lost out by such a small margin, to a slightly better entry.

And like I said, I enjoyed your entry, I thought it was a landscape, and a decent one at that, just in my opinion the other entry was better.

• Jaguar%s's Photo

Please don't cherry pick or act like my words apply to you when they don't.

Voting on something not based on execution or innovation but instead because it doesn't fit your personal narrative of 'landscape' is rather closed-minded.

• Louis!%s's Photo

I'm not cherry picking your words or acting like they apply to me. I am responding to your post, adding to the conversation, you know, like how a forum works and always has done?

I never mentioned anything personal or acted like you were aiming anything at me. On this point, I don't know whether the last point you made is aimed at me, and me being closed-minded. If it is aimed at me, then I certainly am not being narrow minded, quality-wise (including execution and innovation) to me, the other landscape was better. Yes yours was innovative, but that doesn't take away from the fact that, to me, the quality of the other submission was better, whether these were portrayed as 'landscapes' or just a general submission to the site. If the latter comment wasn't aimed at me and aimed at people in general, I'm sure many have the same opinion as I do.That being said, it just is how it is in contests, and with submissions too, entries always divide people based on their opinion as to what they think is good and what isn't, eg, my vote on Westwinds.

And to add on to my previous comments, where I was supporting you, I think you've come a long way in this contest, you've proved yourself to be a decent RCT player, and a much more respected member. Which is lovely to see considering how much you seemed to be disliked when you first joined the site. Like Posix said the other day, it's since you started building for yourself almost, that you've really progressed. You have carried your team and would easily be considered the MVP from it.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading