Music Forum / New Metallica

• Jellybones%s's Photo
    Yeah...

I heard all the shit about the new Metallica CD is supposed to be a return to their roots...faster and heavier than anything since Master of Puppets...long songs as opposed to utter radio rock. Sure enough, they followed up. Too bad it all sucks. Yes, I'm talking about "St. Anger", the album version. Sure, they all proved that they can still rock hard and play fast in their old age, but it's a fucking joke! What happened to the deep introspective lyrics? Now Hetfield is screaming about hanging himself. What happened to the innovative speed-metal? Sorry, but this sounds like something a high-school garage band would put out covering System of a Down. This is what we've been waiting for? Since that atrocity known as Reload? After the nothing-but-boring-covers Garage Inc and the pretty-good-I-guess S&M, we are told that their next CD of truly new material would kick us all in testicles (as ubergeek Lars would probably say), and would make us forget these faggots killed the awesome Napster. I'm so goddamn sick of amazing bands turning into utter shit. Especially Metallica, the band that laid the groundwork for every piece of (good) metal you hear today...sad, really. I wouldn't plan on buying this record. Just put your Toxicity CD on repeat, and listen to what Metallica should sound like now.
  • Blitz%s's Photo
    I don't really like metallica too much, just the solos.
  • Jellybones%s's Photo

I don't really like metallica too much, just the solos.

Oh yeah, something else they forgot about...GOOD GUITAR SOLOS.
  • Blitz%s's Photo
    well, then i guess the new thing is COMPLETELY useless...
    pfft, I think I'll go listen to some vai and some ynwie now...
  • Brent%s's Photo
    ahem *clears throat*, Metallica & SOAD suck.
  • penguinBOB%s's Photo
    For amazing guitar solos, drum fills, and interesting lyrics try Dream Theater. They breach a wide variety of styles, so the songs you'd be interested in most are The Glass Prison and The Test That Stumped Them All. Of course those breif audio snid-bits don't do their songs justice.
  • Blitz%s's Photo
    sinister: god yes! petrucci is the man.
    I have some recordings from an amateur camera guy from G3, and a full song of damage control
    (i also have an early recording of petrucci, vai, and satriani dueling it out)
  • Pym Guy%s's Photo
    /me wishes he could play the guitar
  • bokti%s's Photo
    I think Beta Factor said it best. Both bands are done for, and suck horribly. SOAD... Good fucking god..

Might I also jump at the chance to plug my hatred for Dream Theater? Take Iron Maiden's fecal matter, transform it to the medium of sound, thrown in some annoying ass shit-organs, and you have the amazing Dream Theater.

Fuck. If you read this, you have wasted your time. I simply can't put my disgust for neo-rock that has the condom of hair-metal stuck to it's leg into words. I apologize.

"Insane..." was the term a cohort of mine used to classify them. They are bullshit.

Want a decent metal artist? Go listen to the indescribable work of Yanne.
  • Raven-SDI%s's Photo
    Hello.

I'll take Morbid Angel's solos and talent ANY DAY over Dream Theater and Metallica...

Raven-SDI
    §
  • penguinBOB%s's Photo

I'll take Morbid Angel's solos and talent ANY DAY over Dream Theater and Metallica...

Mike Portnoy owns Fallen Angel's drummer. I mean quarter note triplets against eight notes while doing double bass drum groves is just mind boggling coordination.
  • Blitz%s's Photo

Might I also jump at the chance to plug my hatred for Dream Theater? Take Iron Maiden's fecal matter, transform it to the medium of sound, thrown in some annoying ass shit-organs, and you have the amazing Dream Theater.

bwahahahahaha

Want a decent metal artist? Go listen to the indescribable work of Yanne.

i think you've mixed them up... Yanne is decent while dream theatre is rocks.

and yeah, mike portnoy is genius beats, and petrucci is one hell of a guitarist (this coming from a guitarist, you better take it fucking seriously).
  • Ablaze%s's Photo

Not to mention Slayer's guitarist. I think their new track is fucking good when they get the double bass in, but otherwise its actually shit. They don't have any good vocals, just the simple effect with no amazing roaring going on. I think they have done it so that they can fit back in with the crowd. But I think it could be worth a buy if the tracks are around that speed with the good double bass.
  • Pym Guy%s's Photo

Not to mention Slayer's guitarist. I think their new track is fucking good when they get the double bass in, but otherwise its actually shit. They don't have any good vocals, just the simple effect with no amazing roaring going on. I think they have done it so that they can fit back in with the crowd. But I think it could be worth a buy if the tracks are around that speed with the good double bass.

It's alll about the double bass for you... :rolleyes:
  • Ablaze%s's Photo

It's alll about the double bass for you...

Well fucking said
  • Raven-SDI%s's Photo

Mike Portnoy owns Fallen Angel's drummer. I mean quarter note triplets against eight notes while doing double bass drum groves is just mind boggling coordination.

Hello.

Mike Portnoy is in NO WAY better than Pete Sandoval....

Raven-SDI
    §
  • spiderman%s's Photo

Yea, Kerry King is sweet, and they have an awesome drummer.

If you want sweet guitar solos you could also check out some Megadeth songs, too.
  • Jellybones%s's Photo
    Slayer is fucking overrated as all hell. (Though, King must be commended for making a Sum 41 song worthwhile simply with the inclusion of one of his solos.)
  • penguinBOB%s's Photo

Mike Portnoy is in NO WAY better than Pete Sandoval....

Ok, I'll give Sandoval the speed on double bass drumming, but as far as musicality, Portnoy wins by a landslide. Sorry to bring it to you, but if you want to be an amazing drummer you can't limit yourself to just one style of music. Also, being able to play in good taste is a must.

BTW, Mortician, you don't have to own 2 bass drums or a double bass drum pedal to be a good drummer. Take Carter Beauford for example (sorry he's so not your style, but ANY drummer should appriciate talent (his syncopation is better than anything I've heard))....

Yes, I am a drummer. I do not play at one volume level like most of your favorite drummers; that's just tacky. And the next time I see anyone on these boads say some drummer is amazing, I just might have to rant on like this again...

To think you guy know drummers when you don't even know what a paradiddle or a flam tap is, sheesh!
  • YetiGKM%s's Photo

Ok, I'll give Sandoval the speed on double bass drumming, but as far as musicality, Portnoy wins by a landslide. Sorry to bring it to you, but if you want to be an amazing drummer you can't limit yourself to just one style of music. Also, being able to play in good taste is a must.

BTW, Mortician, you don't have to own 2 bass drums or a double bass drum pedal to be a good drummer. Take Carter Beauford for example (sorry he's so not your style, but ANY drummer should appriciate talent (his syncopation is better than anything I've heard))....

Yes, I am a drummer. I do not play at one volume level like most of your favorite drummers; that's just tacky. And the next time I see anyone on these boads say some drummer is amazing, I just might have to rant on like this again...

To think you guy know drummers when you don't even know what a paradiddle or a flam tap is, sheesh!

Well said man, well said. Carter Beauford is an amazing drummer and it just proves that you don't need two bass drums to be good. Jazz drumming is some of the best you will ever here. Take a guy like Buddy Rich. He is one of the best drummers ever and he had maybe 1/3 of the amount of drums and cymbols that modern drummers use.

What do you think about drummers like Danny Carey (Tool) and Neil Peart (Rush)?

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading