General Chat / 2017 in film

• Liampie%s's Photo
    Almost october, and no topic yet. :( I haven't been watching as many movies this year, but by now I have enough to make a decent list of what new releases* I've seen so far. Some good movies, but nothing has blown my mind so far.

*I use Dutch release dates. We discussed this before and I'm not changing my ways. Deal with it

8,2 - Blade Runner 2049
    8,1 - Dunkirk
    8,0 - Wind River
    7,8 - Silence
    7,8 - Lion
    7,5 - Moonlight
    7,5 - Hidden Figures
    7,4 - The Lost City of Z
    7,2 - The LEGO Batman movie
    7,2 - Train to Busan
    7,1 - Baby Driver
    7,0 - The Big Sick
    7,0 - Tulipani
    7,0 - Edge of Seventeen
    6,9 - Split
    6,8 - The Founder
    6,7 - Colossal
    6,5 - Ron Goossens, Low Budget Stuntman
    6,3 - Going in Style
    6,3 - Kingsman: The Golden Circle
    6,3 - Shot Caller
    6,2 - King Arthur: Legend of the Sword
    5,4 - The Hitman's Bodyguard

Movies I have yet to see:
    - Logan Lucky
    - A Ghost Story
    - Coco
    - Pirates of the Caribbean
    - War for the Planet of the Apes
    - Kong: Skull Island
    - Logan (I haven't seen any X-Men movie ever. Can I watch this stand-alone?)
    - Wonder Woman (do I need to see any other movies to watch this one?)
    - Star Wars Episode VIII
    - John Wick: Chapter 2
    - American Made
    - The Death of Stalin

High expectations for Coco just because it's Pixar.

Previous editions:
    2016 in film
    2015 in film
    2014 in film
    2013 in film
  • inthemanual%s's Photo

I think Wonder Woman and Logan would both work standalone. Logan doesn't really reference any past X-men films. Wonder Woman starts and ends in modern times with some Justice League lead-ins and BvS references, but they're entirely not critical to your understanding and enjoyment of the movie, and take up very little time.

• alex%s's Photo

The Handmaiden was the most recent film I've seen (at a cinema) that really stood out to me.

• Jappy%s's Photo

I didn't see a single other movie from the DC universe. I understood and really liked Wonder Woman.

• G Force%s's Photo

Logan is good, I don't think it really relies on your knowledge of the other films.  Maybe the characters a bit but even just general knowledge of them is sufficient.  

It probably would greatly enhance your enjoyment of the movie if you did see some of the other movies with Hugh Jackson in them though, except for the first Wolverine solo movie.

• chorkiel%s's Photo

Logan works completely as a standalone film when you know what an X-Men is. And otherwise it still works as a great movie.

This year wasn't all that great so far, but it definitely wasn't awful. My faves of this year in somewhat of an order are:

- The Big Sick

- Okja

- War for the planet of the apes

- Dunkirk

- Logan Lucky

• Julow%s's Photo

The LEGO Batman movie ? 

Save your time and don't watch Kong Skull Island, it was absolutely terrible in my opinion. 

I generally don't like Marvel or X-men related movies but Logan was good, very surprising, even if it was a bit too brutal for my sensible soul. :)

War for the Planet of the Apes was also surprising because they tried a more artistic approach I think, but it's still not a memorable movie. 

My faves of this year : 

- Get out 

- Barry Seal : American Traffic

- Seven Sisters

Disappointments : 

- Valeryan

- Dunkerque

- Split

- Ghost in the Shell

- Atomic Blonde

• chorkiel%s's Photo

Kong: Skull Island is great fun if you're open to it. It has some of the coolest visuals and best cinematography I've seen this year, but its story is lacking (something that the director himself admitted). War for the planet of the apes surprised me so much because I expected a war movie. Instead we got something that's more of a character drama.

What didn't you like about Dunkirk, Julow?

• Sulakke%s's Photo

I've only seen Dunkirk and Baby Driver this year. Dunkirk was pretty good, but could not live up to the high expectations. I was expecting a quality like Saving Private Ryan or Platoon, but the movie felt kind of flat and did not even come close to that quality. It seems like everyone is praising the movie just because it was made by Nolan. Too many Nolan fanboys nowadays. Baby Driver was fantastic though, pure entertainment.

There haven't been a lot of movies produced this year that I would really like to see. 2016 was a better year.

• Julow%s's Photo

What didn't you like about Dunkirk, Julow?

Sulakke just answered for me. :p

I wasn't a fan of Baby Driver personally, "Baby" was a bit too edgy for me. 

• chorkiel%s's Photo

I've only seen Dunkirk and Baby Driver this year. Dunkirk was pretty good, but could not live up to the high expectations. I was expecting a quality like Saving Private Ryan or Platoon, but the movie felt kind of flat and did not even come close to that quality. It seems like everyone is praising the movie just because it was made by Nolan. Too many Nolan fanboys nowadays. Baby Driver was fantastic though, pure entertainment.

Funny. I feel the exact opposite about Baby Driver and Dunkirk. Don't get the praise for Baby Driver. It's pretty good but nothing groundbreaking, particularly for Edgar Wright.

• Casimir%s's Photo

I thought IT was a really well made, entertaining movie. Pretty decent surprise, imho.

• Liampie%s's Photo
    Some decent additions to my list!

8,2 - Blade Runner 2049
    7,8 - Lion
    6,8 - The Founder
    6,5 - Ron Goossens, Low Budget Stuntman
    6,3 - Kingsman: The Golden Circle
  • chorkiel%s's Photo

This topic has been mostly dead for this year. Bummer.

Haven't seen many horrible films this year, but that's mostly because I didn't force myself to watch movies that look like crap but seem notable. The Big Sick is still my favorite film of the year. Some additions to my last post should be; Coco and Wind River. Some of the best movies of the year. I'll try to build something of a top 10 in a month or so when I've hopefully seen everything I've wanted to see.

Oh and I loved the new Star Wars. Not just liked. Loved. What did you all think? Seems to be a very divisive movie among fans of the series.

• MorganFan%s's Photo

While I enjoyed Star Wars and it was no doubt one of the most visually appealing films I've seen in while, I feel like The Force Awakens should have been what this film was. I enjoyed that one too, but it was just too similar to A New Hope to be really interesting.

Murder on the Orient Express was meh.

• Cocoa%s's Photo

I still love blade runner so so much

One of my friends had an OP-1 he was borrowing (the synthesizer bon iver used for 22 a million, its pretty sick) and we were recreating the blade runner "sounds" on it. it was amazing

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading