Music Forum / My Theory on Music

• Andrew%s's Photo
    Ok, I've been cooking this little deep thought for a while now, and I think it's finnaly coming to fruition...

now chew on this...

Why do you like certain music over other music? you'd say, because it's better than all the rest....

But what makes it better in your mind, why do you like that particular song or style?

I think, and this is my new phycological theory, that it has alot to do with what your doing, how your feeling, and whats going on when you hear it for the first time.

Let's say for example, you have a crush on some girl, and at some point, you get to dance with her, your happy no doubt, and whatever song is playing while your dancing is going to remind you of how you felt when you heard it for a long time.
    Whenever you hear that song, your going to think of that girl, atleast subconciously(sp?) and you'll feel good inside, so you'll like hearing that song.

Now another example, let's say your watching a movie you really like, and a song on the soundtrack comes on during an exciting scene, whenever that song comes on later on, you'll start getting pumped up, because you'll subconciously be thinking about that movie.

This works to an even farther level determining what ongs you'll like in the future, lets say you hear Rage Against the Machine's "Wake Up" at the end of the original Matrix, if you like that song because your being open minded because your pumped about how cool the movie was, you may go find out more about the band, buy and album, albums of similar bands, and before you know it, you've gotten into a whole genre of music.

Let's say when your young, your uncle puts in some of his favorite music, and if you look up to him, you may decide you like it too, because you like your uncle.

Someone may have already established this theory at some point, I woudn't be suprised, I think its an obvious part of the human psyche.

So do you think I have a valid point, or am I just a raving quack because it's 11:30 and I've had four pixie sticks in a row (and atleast post why I'm crazy).

So go listen to your favorite song and try and remember what was going on the first time you heard it, and then come post a reply.
  • Jellybones%s's Photo
    Thanks for stating the obvious.
  • JFK%s's Photo
    Hick fight!!
  • bokti%s's Photo
    Did you snort the Pixie Stix?

Anyway. There's a psychological theory that basically says what you're trying to say. I can't remember that well, because I'd ditch school entirely when we were on that particular subject. I won't go around naming shit either, because that would give people further reason to think that I'm an idiot than they already have.

- :huey: Kirii
  • Tony%s's Photo
    I <3 Kirii and his big penis.
  • Foozycoaster%s's Photo
    Brains dont logically compute, but rather they associate. Since music is rythmic, its being sent to connected pathways of your brain accordingly. Whatever stimulation your subconcious wants most, be it familiarity, or lyrical profoundness, your concious will choose the music that best suits it.

All of your points are either showing brain accociation connection, accociation creation, or feelings based on existing accociation pathways.
  • Arslock%s's Photo
    Yeah your theory isn't new, it's just associations, like fooz said.

Also if your the average dumbass can sing along, they probably think its a good song--it's called a hook for a reason.
  • cg?%s's Photo
    Well your theory is bullshit, imo. Why? Because when I listen to music, I'm always in the same mood, alone and with full attention being payed to the music and nothing else.

So if everything around me is the same, and I'm the same, the only factor there to affect whether I enjoy it or not is the music itself.

And I don't ever remember music from movies, or associate the music with the film. Or anything along those lines, either. Honestly, I was just listening to the Titanic soundtrack and it didn't remind me of Titanic in the slightest.

So, yeah...

As I said, the theory is bullshit. At least when applied to me. Because I'm a freak.
  • Foozycoaster%s's Photo
    You get no feeling from music?

You must be concentrating on it very, very hard, and avoiding all predjudices your mind has to offer.

I'm sure at least 99% of people get feelings from music, and will somewhat identify with andrew's post, so yea cg, that is kinda weird.
  • cg?%s's Photo
    When hearing music in day-to-day life, a lot of what Andrew said does in fact apply.

However, when I listen to music, I mean really listen to it, that just doesn't happen. It is the music itself which makes me feel one way or the other.

I know that because sometimes even things I hated within a certain context, will become favorites of mine when taken out of that context and I really pay attention (case in point: the A*Teens).

Meanwhile, music I really love within a certain context will become things I hate when removed from that context (case in point: the Doors).

But that is just me... and I'm a freak... who takes the act of listneing to music way to seriously.
  • Blitz%s's Photo
    all i know is getting a shiver from a song is what i live for. I spend an undue amount of time trying to create my own.
  • Jellybones%s's Photo
    When you think the A-Teens are better than the Doors, you are fucked up beyond repair, dude.

And, um, like Blitzy said, explain to me why some songs give me chills and goosebumps? I associate said songs with cold weather?
  • Andrew%s's Photo
    possibly, but chills down your spine doesn't mean your cold, I don't exactly know what causes it, but I know something exciting usually does..... so I'm not sure

I'm not a psycology major or anything, I just thought this little theory was cool, even though its probably already in every phycology 101 text book ever printed, I'd never seen it.
  • OPhilisspiffyO%s's Photo
    Woah woah woah...just cuz I fuck to Barry White doesn't mean I like it.
  • Ablaze%s's Photo
    Well I like that certain type of music because of the mood that I am in usually but also because of certain sounds in the music which is weird. Because if you lusten to double bass on the drums, if you think about it whats so good about that stupid sound. I don't know why but I just love it since I got into extreme stuff.
  • Radu%s's Photo
    But then how do you explain why you like certain songs on a new album, while hate others, even though you're listening the whole album at the same time? Or why you could just be driving, and like a song that comes on the radio?

People naturally associate songs with memories. If you listen to any old song (from 5 years ago, even) you're going to remember that year when the song was a hit. You'll remember how you generally felt that year, and even where your life was. The same way smells can trigger very vivid memories. I think it just has to do with brain-hookups, or some scientific junk like that.But that doesn't determine whether you like a song or not.

There were songs that I loved a few years ago, and was happy everytime I heard them, and now I can't stand them.

Foozycoaster pretty much nailed it. Your brain like music that agrees with you. It's convinient. If you live a happy, joyous life, you'd be more apt to listen to upbeat, feelgood, songs. If you feel like your life sucks, you'd listen to depressing music, or at least something more laid back. Try being angry and turning on a feelgood song. You'll want to turn it off, immediatly.

So CG is *cough*right*cough*, in that your theory isn't really true. Nice try, though.
  • Tyler%s's Photo
    The only good music is movie scores. Is? Are? Whatever.

Music is for retards.
  • cg?%s's Photo

When you think the A-Teens are better than the Doors, you are fucked up beyond repair, dude.

I don't think they're better than the Doors, per se'. If you asked me who I respected more, the Doors would definitely be the answer.

Their influence alone is enough for that.

However, if you asked me which one I'd rather listen to, the A*Teens would get it all the way.

Why?

Because they have mastered the art of musical entertainment (as opposed to musical art) and that is something I can not only respect, but enjoy.

And while you might not enjoy what they do, you must admit they do it flawlessly.

The Doors however aren't so lucky. They focused too hard on being musical "Artists", a label they didn't have the talent or skill to live up to.

In the end, the music (while influential) is amatuerish at best, dated terribly and usually far too self-indulgent to enjoy.
  • Jellybones%s's Photo
    We'll have to disagree then.

I'll take lo-fi guitar and somewhat-poetical lyrics over a bunch of stereotypical teeny-boppers signing ABBA covers any day, thank you.
  • cg?%s's Photo
    You do realize that Abba were some of the most brilliant pop songwriters ever, don't you? If you don't, then you haven't actually properly sat down and listened to them.

And if that applies to you, then just shut the fuck up.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading