General Chat / If you have a problem with NE, let's talk about it.

• nin%s's Photo
    The discord was a fantastic idea and this thread makes it appear that’s it the worst thing since Son of Kumba. That’s not true, and I feel that it combined with OpenRCT has helped the mini Renaissance this site has seen lately.
  • G Force%s's Photo

What was a bad idea, the airing of grievances on this thread, or the Discord?

Obviously I'm being a bit sarcastic. But I do think the Discord has resulted in a lot more drama between members and hasn't exactly been a positive things for everyone.

I think overall everyone just needs to take it easy and relax a bit. The tone of the discord also probably would benefit from being more like an office than a bar. Which is why the RCT specific discussion is basically the only thing I personally find worthwhile to read.

Nothing official, but just my personal feelings.
  • Fisch%s's Photo

Now we're painting the wrong picture on here. I've generally absolutely enjoyed the discord and I'm sure it's helped increase rct productivity as well.

• saxman1089%s's Photo

Yeah, I should really clarify my original post in this thread. I think the Discord is great. It's given me opportunity to get to know all of you on a much more personal level than I would ever have on here, especially those around the world that have different views. Yes, there are issues, and I detailed them all in my original post, but those are far outweighed by the benefits I've personally felt.

• Lilith%s's Photo
    i dont think the discord is too casual, there just isnt a consensus on what it should be and thats where a lot of the drama seems to be coming from. personally i think it should be casual like a bar since the forum is generally more formal and discord by nature is a very informal way to talk
  • saxman1089%s's Photo

We should rename one of the off topic channels to "the_office" and the other to "the_bar"

Done. We fixed everything. Good job guys.

• Lilith%s's Photo
    hahaha i actually like that idea, its basically what shogo suggested
  • Faas%s's Photo

I agree it should be casual like a bar. I'm just scared for you guys if these are your go-to bar conversations. 

• nin%s's Photo
    Da man I feel like your suggested is similar the old-School NE terminology, akin to the Ad District, the Shitpile, etc. more character than Off-Topic1/2.

Basically I support this.
  • Milo%s's Photo

A few points:

Forums in general are dying, let them die.

This is more full circle for NE than most of you realize. There used to be a dumping ground category at the bottom of the forum list called the Shitpile/ Dump Place / Mmmph Place that was where a lot of garbage posting happened. Some members lived there to the exclusion of all else.

If you're going to be autistic, at least be funny.

Fuck all of you.

Long live NE.

• Casimir%s's Photo

Milo <3 :)

• SSSammy%s's Photo
    Milo!
  • robbie92%s's Photo

Looks like I'm out of the loop... :-/

• bigshootergill%s's Photo

^ Me too... maybe we should form a Canadian Discord with all 3 or 4 of us :D

• robbie92%s's Photo

To be honest, and this is me coming into this discussion as an outsider to it all (which feels weird to say about a forum that's been a big part of my life for practically ten years now (ten in March)), it seems harder and harder to integrate into the community these days. This isn't anyone's fault, and it's not really anyone's responsibility, but the demographic and humor and interactions on the site these days tend to skew to a younger demographic than it felt like it used to, or at least maybe I'm growing out of that demo, so I can imagine that it may be tougher at times to join a conversation or feel like you're fitting in. I've stuck mainly to the American discord (even if I'm not in there often or active, really) because I've known everyone there for years, and so the lack of fitting in feels less dominant. It's likely just the nature of Discord and these group chats in that they move quickly, and I need to get with the times. As much as I truly miss the days of the forum itself being the hub of activity, from project discussion topics to the Dump Place, with chat services being side conversations with those you knew better, I know that that isn't how communities work anymore. I know that I have to put the work in if I still want to feel part of this community, which I don't at the moment, regardless of activity.

• SSSammy%s's Photo
    I don’t even know what discord is and I still feel like part of the community. Is that wrong? Am I an old man?
  • SensualEthiopianPolice%s's Photo

I just felt I was an easy target so people would make fun of me or put me down a lot. Seemingly every time someone was being rude or obnoxious towards me, people always found ways to make it my fault. It certainly didn't help that I usually built American style, people had a violently angry reaction to that

• Dr_Dude%s's Photo

lol this is so cute

• Dragons%s's Photo

I've never really noticed a split between European Parkmakers and American ones (aside from the one created by the Atlantic Ocean), though maybe I'm not one to speak since I've really only released one park that even barely has quality to make it worth being on the site.

That being said, I got into the Discord over two years ago via Tycoon Paradise, and have nothing to complain about in terms of the Discord and who is in it. I don't think it should be turned into this exclusive clique with gatekeeping, determining who is "worthy" enough to get in. That might just be alienating. Some of the people who are part of this new renaissance of RCT2 got to where they are through the Discord. To think they couldn't get to where they are because at one point they were told they were not good enough to get in the Discord and get access to help they needed is something I would rather not dwell on. Additionally, Milo's right,  Discord is far more accessible than forums.

However, I'm going to play this thread straight and, I know I'm in a minority when I say this; RCT3 maybe?

• Coasterbill%s's Photo

Where the fuck did this shit come from?

I've apparently been on this site for 14 years (seriously? 14 years??? How the fuck???) and never noticed an American vs. European conflict. I think the diversity of this community is one of the coolest things about it to be honest. I know that sounds like a bullshit, cliche liberal talking point but it's actually true. I think it's cool as hell going on Discord and talking with Europeans about American football or talking with Europeans about European theme parks / cities that I've never visited. It's like a big (mostly) happy melting pot.

I never noticed any tension between these groups and I'm pretty active so I don't really know how I never noticed but it's really, really dumb that it's going on. I'm pretty sure I'm in the group in question (and it's cool) but it never even dawned on me that it was full of Americans. I thought Shogo just made his own discord full of like-minded shitposters with no real qualifications necessary to be added. It basically seems like the same exact thing as the other discord only less active and with funnier topic names and more shitposting (which again, is cool with me).

As for Louis and his comment about the awards. I've always seen Louis as one of the nicest people on a site that's already remarkably full of super-nice people (which is a minor miracle for any internet community). I assume he was kidding, and I also sort of feel like it makes perfect sense to schedule the awards when the active admins are around. It's not like they "have" to be on a specific date. They always jump around. What's wrong with planning around someone's wedding? That just seems like common sense.

I feel like as online communities go, there's less drama on this one than 99% of them though so it's possible that people are making mountains out of mole hills. I'm not saying people's complaints aren't legitimate, I just don't see the point in taking a fun community about a 20 year old computer game all that seriously. Everyone chill. lol

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading