H2H8 / H2H8 Round 1 Match 1 - The Replacements vs Strangelove

This topic hosts comments for 2 parks(View Parks)

Select your favorite park

1. Tahendo Zoo by The Replacement 31 votes [44.29%]
    • Liampie
    • Turtle
    • robbie92
    • posix
    • Scoop
    • FredD
    • dr dirt
    • MK98
    • trav
    • Six Frags
    • RCTER2
    • olddtfan51
    • ultro
    • Royr
    • bigshootergill
    • School_Jin
    • Xeccah
    • RCThibo
    • Coasterbill
    • FK+Coastermind
    • spacek531
    • Dr_Dude
    • THE WORST
    • Goliath123
    • Tom_Dj
    • Milo
    • Steve
    • Thethrillman
    • Whitehawk
    • geewhzz
    • ][ntamin22
    Percentage of vote: 44.29%
  2. All Coasters Go To Heaven by Strangelove 39 votes [55.71%]
    • Deurklink
    • Ling
    • Julow
    • AvanineCommuter
    • René
    • RWE
    • Lilith
    • Iron Rattler
    • Lagom
    • Mr.Brightside711
    • thyeggman
    • djbrcace1234
    • Recurious
    • SupraTheHedgehog
    • inthemanual
    • Lowenaldo
    • 111112oo
    • CedarPoint6
    • Impulse
    • chorkiel
    • IonZer0
    • BelgianGuy
    • saxman1089
    • Ride6
    • Mattk48
    • Roomie
    • Louis!
    • alex
    • Chrixz
    • Xtreme97
    • csw
    • BlazingEmpireHD
    • AK Koaster
    • Mr. Coaster
    • Terry Inferno
    • SupraSix
    • Angroc
    • Version1
    • CHE
    Percentage of vote: 55.71%
  • G Force%s's Photo

Back as essentially a defunct member (who's profile pic is now defunct mreh) pretty clear choice

I liked the Shockwave reference, shame you couldn't sneak in something for SoB or Mean Streak, unless I missed it

Mean Streak is in there!

• AK Koaster%s's Photo

Mean Streak is in there!

Found it, along with a few other Easter Eggs, nice job guys! 

• CoasterCreator9%s's Photo

Back as essentially a defunct member (who's profile pic is now defunct mreh) pretty clear choice

I liked the Shockwave reference, shame you couldn't sneak in something for SoB or Mean Streak, unless I missed it

Look closer! 

Got ninja'd by G; glad you found the stuff.

• Cocoa%s's Photo
    Plz close this soon k bye
  • Milo%s's Photo

Two solid first round parks.  I thought I had my mind made up purely based on the park themes but when I opened up the zoo it really impressed me.  I always enjoy the urban street setting that wraps around a park, or in this case, zoo.  It was really well put together and I ended up picking it as the winner.

All Coasters Go to Heaven was great, I loved the idea and the execution was well done. It felt like one of those classic H2H concept parks like Parkmakerz! or a bedroom park.  Really nice work on the overall map and the easter eggs were also great.  I think the only real issue was I found myself only looking at it for a relatively short time compared to Tahendo before wanting to move on.

• Liampie%s's Photo

Voting Closed

300p_strangelove.png

Strangelove beat The Replacements!

The Replacements vote count: 30 (42.86%)*
    Strangelove vote count: 40 (57.14%)*

Tahendo Zoo was made by nin (75%) and Austin55 (25%).
    All Coasters Go to Heaven was made by G Force (50%), Maverix (40%) and roygbiv (10%).

* These scores will see a 25% reduction in the score table by referee decision (link)

• nin%s's Photo
    Wait what nin built a zoo?
  • CoasterCreator9%s's Photo

Good showing by both teams for sure; close one!

Attached Image: Tahendo.PNG

Attached Image: All Coasters.PNG

• Xeccah%s's Photo
    A lot of people are saying that tahendo grew on them; I was in love with tahendo from the get-go and this grew on me. Although I'm not very privy on ride design in general, there was enough here for me to enjoy. Loved drachen fire's layout, and I can respect it due to how many times I tried to make the layout. The other coasters didn't do that much for me although I knew that they were nicely executed. I enjoyed the nice little details scattered through the park, and I laughed wholeheartedly at the Son of Kumba inclusion. The sky swat was great but I feel I can't give too much credit for something that was basically object-for-object taken from Thorpe. I have a mixed reception of the architecture. The stuff around DF was great, and assuming it's G Force his best archy yet, but the Hogwarts castle, Mr. Freeze station and generic Six Flags shop were lackluster.

I think this park stands as a testament to how well-received a simple concept with solid execution can be, even if I didn't vote for it. 70%

I can't talk about Tahendo without talking about nin, which is why I've waited to respond until now. This is nin's most polished work, and in style resides in between Six Flags Worlds of Discovery and The Pridelands. Kyle's aformentioned H2H7 release was daring, raw, and more interesting conceptually than Tahendo, but i think I appreciate this more. This felt incredibly real and executed to a level that I think only Dig Site 4 matched this round. I appreciate that while you ran the gamut of H2H details, it didn't rely on them to "complete" the park. Tahendo had the best composition out of any parks this round, and really almost all of last Head 2 Head.

Austin's stuff in this park has really surprised me; it's on the level of Justin and Kyle's work and it's a MASSIVE step up from 2015 Austin55. 85%
  • Austin55%s's Photo
    0E66ssUh.jpg
  • posix%s's Photo

Real shame Tahendo lost.

• G Force%s's Photo
    Even my H2H wins are controversial.
  • inthemanual%s's Photo

Really happy to see G Force break out of his mold a little bit here. All Coasters was a blast to explore even though I'm not as much of a coasterphile as most people here. It also was also composed in a really engaging way that was constantly guiding me to new details and fun things to find.

It stood out over Tahendo to me, because while Tahendo is probably the best RCT2 zoo ever, it felt compositionally flat. I think Wit's End suffered from this problem as well: everything is so evenly dense that it's hard to note transitions between areas and ideas, which makes the map feel overwhelming and hard to explore.

• In:Cities%s's Photo
    What's controversial is that they built a parking lot and you didn't
  • Louis!%s's Photo

Tbh I'm surprised calling the park Tahendo Zoo didn't result in a DQ for leaking builder information :p

ACGTH is my favourite park of R1.

• nin%s's Photo

Thank you for those that enjoyed our park and an even greater thank you to those that voted for us in the end. We knew this was going to be a hard fight and we're not too surprised it didn't win, though I can't agree with those saying that we had a boring park, or that it pales in comparison to the others of this round. 

While there is no coaster, a decision made by many of us on the team, we attempted to fill the park to the brim with details, some that may go unnoticed during initial viewings. We spent hours looking through various zoos and animal parks, taking notes on how exhibits are arranged and planned, and strove to make a rather realistic portrayal of a park I've wanted to complete for years. Comments like "your giraffe exhibit is too small", "the animals should be mixed" and those similar inform me that maybe our realistic touches have gone unnoticed, or that simply a community of roller coaster enthusiasts may not spend equal amounts of time at zoological parks. It's not your fault, but maybe something I should have attempted to explain in greater detail to those viewing.

I did attempt to refine previous themes that I've attempted, and I think that was achieved. This park far exceeds work done in Pridelands and my Animal Kingdom park, and it took far less time and stress than either of those. Austin was a great building partner here, and the two of us had a fun, chill time making the park (even taking a week off). Just perhaps we should've spent more of that time catering the park to viewers on this site. I'll continue with some of these themes into future work as I simply enjoy building them, and have yet to feel like I've mastered the look I've been striving for.

• Cocoa%s's Photo
    Time for my belated review, didn't want to affect this close matchup! Ill confess that i was so glued to these results that i had a dream one night that i checked the scores and we were losing. It got pretty tight at times!

So firstly, i really loved pridelands zoo. It did one thing ive really never seen done right, and that is feel really strongly like a zoo. I love zoos too kyle, and you nailed it. I wish that the whole thing could be spread out over 120 square tiles to really give it that feeling it deserves. This park makes me want to try a zoo one day, despite my aversion for realism... maybe some combo of the kc and omaha zoos which are both surprisingly impressive and live hard in my nostalgia brain. Theres so many great details- i think the first thing that sold me was the "become a member" sign and the feeling that all the signs just felt...right. the composure on the whole is spot on and the exhibits are beautiful. I wish they had more space to breath though, and i agree with what itm said about a uniform density taking away from it, especially near the ropes course. My main complaint is probably the african area, which did feel like a lesser pridelands to me- would have liked to see something different there. Plus, i did those cliffs better :p

I predicted we would lose at first and it seems like everyone on our team loved your park and would have voted for it. 4d chess from g force there? Or just good luck. Its a real shame to me that a lack of coaster is what swayed this outcome.

I do love our park though. I first had the idea outside a maccas at coogee beach while waiting for a mate and excitedly messaged russel. He and mav really ran with it and brainstorming was super fun. I would probably have pushed the fantastical more but i think this park is really true to russels style and they did a great job with it. Im still shocked we won but excited for what this season still has in store!
  • Sephiroth%s's Photo

All Coasters Go to Heaven had me brimming with great joy and I simply couldn't get enough of it. Almost all the rides seen here are one's I've wanted to see in either real life or RCT due to their uniqueness, and this park delivers. I didn't get a chance to vote due to rl things but this park would've got my vote.

Not to knock the zoo, it's fantastic. But...... I didn't play RCT for zoo's. Nin I think your post is really well put. I actually wish we had categories so that works like these don't get shafted due to a specific audience. While I wasn't personally interested in a zoo park, I can't deny it is built with unquestionable skill and is entirely deserving of recognition of some sort.

Fantastic job both teams, and thank you Stangelove for making this park. Probably my favorite of the season so far. 

EDIT: Spelling and grammar are proving difficult for me this evening, apparently. 

• csw%s's Photo

Great matchup here, probably the best of Round 1. A shame one of them had to lose. Tahendo Zoo was fantastic, it really felt alive. I especially enjoyed all of the animal enclosures and park surroundings. No coaster was no issue for me at all. But I think All Coasters Go to Heaven is one of the best H2H ideas I've ever seen, and executed well to boot. There's something about dueling coasters that always gets me, and it was refreshing to see a park not so heavily reliant on architecture. 

Excited to see what the rest of the contest has in store! And I'm glad I chose to stay out, there's no way I can build anything to compare to the quality of Round 1. 

• G Force%s's Photo

So wow, thanks to everyone for voting and for nin and Austin for producing such a great park for us to go up against.

I really didn't expect to be in this position a week ago, this park was really fun to make and all and I think both rgb and Mav enjoyed it as well.  But when submitting, it didn't feel like a win to me.  So hearing all the support and people who love the park has been great, never expected it to be quite so well received by so many.

There were tons of ideas we would have loved to include, and probably some we should have, but ultimately the map just filled up and we didn't want it to feel too spammy, I think we ended up finding a decent balance in the end.

The park concept was almost entirely Cocoa's idea, initially I don't think either of us took it too seriously, but eventually it started to make more sense to me and then Mav expressed interest, so we decided to go for it as a W1 park.  Initially it was a bit rocky, neither of us knew exactly what we were getting into or really what we wanted to make.  Initially my ideas were a bit more abstract, but that almost immediately fell to the wayside as it just didn't seem practical.  For a while the park felt pretty dull and it wasn't until rgb jumped on with about 15 days remaining did the park really start to shape up, he added a lot of the scenes and basically all the clouds and details around the park edge, along with some of the smaller details around the park.  We couldn't have done it without him, the extra hands and eyes down the stretch proved crucial.

Mav was a huge help here too, him hosting MP really allowed the park to materialize quicker than I would have hoped.  It really was a life saver, not only for building, but for collaboration.  He provided the layouts outside of Drachen and did most of the back area of the park around Drachen, XLC and Slammer.  It really seemed like an idea that perfectly fit both of our styles and allowed us to step outside our normal genera a bit and do something a bit more lighthearted.

As for the park itself, there were a lot of things I would have done differently and a lot of ideas I wish we could have included.  Ultimately the archy and ride design isn't quite up to standard, but it ended up being just serviceable enough to work out.  Pushing the heaven and fantasy elements are something I was pretty poor at, at times.  Luckily the team was able to push us just enough to get probably the bare minimum, without their constant suggestions and support we wouldn't have been able to do this.

Anyways, I'm glad this felt special to so many.  Not quite sure if I'd put it anywhere near my top H2H parks, but hearing people put it that high on their personal lists means a lot, and knowing it was a true team effort makes it even more special I think.  

Cheers to a great match and great Round one, hopefully we can keep up the standards throughout the contest!

I'll try to get a review up of Tahendo sooner rather than later as well.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading