H2H8 / H2H8 Round 4 Match 3 - Team Spacecrab vs Strangelove

This topic hosts comments for 2 parks(View Parks)

Select your favorite park:

1. Mount Haystack Ski Resort by Team Spacecrab 56 votes [88.89%]
    • Scoop
    • Mr.Brightside711
    • Wanted
    • Bubbsy41
    • ultro
    • djbrcace1234
    • tce_k
    • Kumba
    • voidnights
    • Goliath123
    • Jersey Jimmy
    • Turtle
    • Iron Rattler
    • Terry Inferno
    • GeertD
    • 111112oo
    • geewhzz
    • Version1
    • WhosLeon
    • SSSammy
    • zxbiohazardzx
    • Roomie
    • Tom_Dj
    • Royr
    • bigshootergill
    • olddtfan51
    • Poke
    • chorkiel
    • alex
    • RCThibo
    • Ling
    • Six Frags
    • CedarPoint6
    • Coasterbill
    • Lowenaldo
    • Austin55
    • Thethrillman
    • SupraTheHedgehog
    • inthemanual
    • FK+Coastermind
    • GammaZero
    • FredD
    • Deurklink
    • Louis!
    • AvanineCommuter
    • trav
    • Lagom
    • Julow
    • dawidox
    • Dirk Pitt
    • MorganFan
    • Whitehawk
    • Pacificoaster
    • Dr_Dude
    • Xtreme97
    • CHE
    Percentage of vote: 88.89%
  2. Grand Central by Strangelove 7 votes [11.11%]
    • Xeccah
    • RWE
    • nin
    • MK98
    • shnupz
    • Gustav Goblin
    • SensualEthiopianPolice
    Percentage of vote: 11.11%
  • Version1%s's Photo

I don't think its a stretch to imagine that a mountain would want to go even bigger than one of those to attract more clients.

Figures I found to this topic:

Alpine Coaster: ~1.2 million €

Wildfire (Kolmarden): ~11 million €

But sure, I would love to ride your 20€/ride RMC ;)

• Coupon%s's Photo

a brand new detachable quad is $6 million+ and a gondola of this type would probably be ~$9 milion+ so not too far fetched i'd say. ski resorts are expensive places! looking forward to reading the reviews yall. great park also strangelove! this is a great matchup

• ][ntamin22%s's Photo

It's alright man he just forgot this is H2H and not Park Wars

• Xeccah%s's Photo

if you have to go to these levels of pedantry to make some bullshit point, you're making a bullshit point. the rmc looks nice, that's all i give a shit about regarding it.

• Fisch%s's Photo

SkiPark Wars - The RMC Awakens

• Scoop%s's Photo

I'm pretty sure he's just making a joke. but you guys can take it how you want I guess lol.

• Fisch%s's Photo

How will events unfold now in what will surely go down as the V1 business economics slaughter.

• Version1%s's Photo

I mean seriously, if I really wanted to vote for the other park only because an RMC was economically impossible like that, then it would still be my decision and there would be no ground to criticise it whatsoever :p

• Liampie%s's Photo

Where is it written that a park is either 100% realistic and plausible, or outright fantastical? Why can't Team Spacecrab make a ski resort that's a little larger than life, taking some creative liberties to make a more interesting and attractive product? Just take it at face value.

I think the RMC is really good btw. I think it may be my favourite RMC in the game yet. I don't think its tunnels are too long as someone else said at some point, there's quite a few of them but they're rarely more than 3-4 tiles long which is pretty normal. Great flow, good interactions, and technical yet aesthetically pleasing supports. Very creative and overall very well done I'd say. I'm glad you included it.

• Version1%s's Photo

I can make a similar argument: Nobody can stop me from judging it as an attempt at a realistic park.

• Liampie%s's Photo

I'll judge your next park as an attempt at portraying radical feminism.

• Faas%s's Photo
    I liked Strangelove's parks aesthetics but a lot of stuff was kind of lost on me. The diver with the spiral lift was awesome though, I like quirky coasters like that. In general I think the creators of Strangelove's especially but also our park deserve some more mature reviews instead of these semantics.

So please, leave your reviews about both parks and how they match up below :). Actually V1 why don't you start by making your fourth comment on this topic something constructive in regards to this cool matchup. It's an open invitation.
  • Version1%s's Photo

Well, now that I know that my opinion might not be acceptable at all, I won't comment of course.

• Camcorder22%s's Photo
    Lol
  • Cocoa%s's Photo
    Ssh bby is ok
  • AvanineCommuter%s's Photo
    For once I actually agree with V1. Pigs do fly!

The same way that Wits End was critiqued for riding the middle road between fantasy / triply stuff and being too realistic in other ways (buildings and coaster layouts), it’s perfectly legitimate to critique a realistic ski resort park with a RMC in it operating during winter. I don’t get why people think this is a “just let it go” kind of point - if this is a realistic park then you judge it on realistic limitations. Doesn’t seem feasible to me to have a giant RMC like this.

Anyway, that point aside, I’ll give a full review of the free parks later tonight. Looks like good work from both teams.
  • Mr.Brightside711%s's Photo

I would just like to point out that it is 88 degrees F in Haystack so no its not too cold for a coaster lol... and even if you take that out of consideration, all the mechanical parts of the coaster are in the lodge where it is most likely around 80 degrees. And many ski resorts operate above freezing temperatures as well. Realism isn't too much of an issue with this one.

• Xeccah%s's Photo
    The Spacecrabs park is very reminiscent to Winkelheim that it's relying one one thing being good for the entire park to "work". Then, it was the forced perspective trick, here it's the ride creation. And i think it's uncontroversial to say that it was done better here. The slopes were fairly nice, and some of the details like making the "pizza" skiiers go down the hill slower than "french fry" ones were nice little details. Stuff like the palate swap, powder, and accompanying new objects sold the concept rather well. The ski lodge and the RMC buildings were fantastic examples of larger architecture as well.  

The RMC was a really weak layout though, and it felt just forced into the landscape. The support work was nice, but i don't understand all of the praise behind it. The alpine coaster was "okay"; it wasn't really enough for me to care about. Most of the other structures that aren't the ski lodge and the RMC hotel building are kinda bad though, and the whole villiage area feels way messier than it ought to because of that. 

My main takeaway from this is that it's another spacecrabs gimmick park, and even though I'm not one for gimmicks really, these were done right and effectively sold the theme, and gave it movement which primarily lacked on the other park. The parkmaking itself was the weakest part of this, which is never really something that makes me want to vote for something. Does a bunch of new objects and custom rides deserve a win by themselves? Holistically this lost its wow factor pretty early to me, and then from there I was able to see more of the flaws in this park

Overall I'd give it a 70%

I think we should have a talk about whether or not creation of meta-breaking things like new rides should even be allowed in RCT. We're all supposed to be building with essentially the same medium, and while static objects doesn't break that, I believe that rides do. 
  • Xeccah%s's Photo
    Strangelove's park enters in on a mass of structures that are some of the best created in this style. The terminals are incredibly well done, and in fact all of the archy on this map is a massive highlight for me. Like seriously some of this stuff is so mindblowing. The layering on the main island is about as good as it gets (meaning, about as good as World's Fair). There's really only one thing that I'm not too keen on, and depending on who you are, it's a biggun. A lot of this map feels dead. Whether it's the rigid object selection, the emptiness of the "park" island, or a lack of warmer colors, it's lacking a bit of life. It's not bad in most places, and with second and third viewings this problem does get significantly better, but in this regard it possibly may be enough to sway votes.

Although I think that the Spacecrabs park will eventually win this match, just for how hard those new objects punch you on your first viewing, the good stuff on this map is more subtle and every time i look at it, it gets better. I don't think it'll be controversial to say that this park, overall, has better parkmaking in it, and that's enough to get me to vote for it. 

80%
  • AvanineCommuter%s's Photo

I would just like to point out that it is 88 degrees F in Haystack so no its not too cold for a coaster lol... and even if you take that out of consideration, all the mechanical parts of the coaster are in the lodge where it is most likely around 80 degrees. And many ski resorts operate above freezing temperatures as well. Realism isn't too much of an issue with this one.

I don’t know what you’re saying but it doesn’t make any sense to me :)

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading