H2H8 / H2H8 Round 4 Match 3 - Team Spacecrab vs Strangelove

This topic hosts comments for 2 parks(View Parks)

Select your favorite park:

1. Mount Haystack Ski Resort by Team Spacecrab 56 votes [88.89%]
    • Scoop
    • Mr.Brightside711
    • Wanted
    • Bubbsy41
    • ultro
    • djbrcace1234
    • tce_k
    • Kumba
    • voidnights
    • Goliath123
    • Jersey Jimmy
    • Turtle
    • Iron Rattler
    • Terry Inferno
    • GeertD
    • 111112oo
    • geewhzz
    • Version1
    • WhosLeon
    • SSSammy
    • zxbiohazardzx
    • Roomie
    • Tom_Dj
    • Royr
    • bigshootergill
    • olddtfan51
    • Poke
    • chorkiel
    • alex
    • RCThibo
    • Ling
    • Six Frags
    • CedarPoint6
    • Coasterbill
    • Lowenaldo
    • Austin55
    • Thethrillman
    • SupraTheHedgehog
    • inthemanual
    • FK+Coastermind
    • GammaZero
    • FredD
    • Deurklink
    • Louis!
    • AvanineCommuter
    • trav
    • Lagom
    • Julow
    • dawidox
    • Dirk Pitt
    • MorganFan
    • Whitehawk
    • Pacificoaster
    • Dr_Dude
    • Xtreme97
    • CHE
    Percentage of vote: 88.89%
  2. Grand Central by Strangelove 7 votes [11.11%]
    • Xeccah
    • RWE
    • nin
    • MK98
    • shnupz
    • Gustav Goblin
    • SensualEthiopianPolice
    Percentage of vote: 11.11%
  • Roomie%s's Photo

While i agree with the RMC being out of place here and the park will still get my vote.

Coasters can and do run in freezing conditions and in the snow. 

Attached Image: Nasu1.jpg

Attached Image: Nasu2.jpg

• Cocoa%s's Photo

my only complaint is that I couldn't find the needle

• Wanted%s's Photo
    The RMC is the needle and the best coaster of the contest thus far. Perfect fit for this park.
  • G Force%s's Photo

The poll is open, it will remain open for 72 hours.

• CoasterCreator9%s's Photo

The RMC is the needle and the best coaster of the contest thus far. Perfect fit for this park.

Personally, I prefer the Replacements' RMC thus far. I do quite enjoy Spacecrabs' work here, but the coaster is not the high point for me.

• djbrcace1234%s's Photo
    I just feel it was forced in. The vertical drop looks meh and I dont mind a coaster here, just not a good choice for a coaster to have so many tunnels. Would be a hell for this to be in daily operation.

But honestly, who cares. I actually care more that it looks forced.

Strangeloves park is great too. Beautiful arch, just overall composition seems off. This was a hard vote, but I went with haystack.
  • RWE%s's Photo
    I‘m on my phone, but I will post my two cents, cause this matchup deserves it, don‘t mind the wrong language...

Looks like i‘m with the unpopular opinion overhere, interesting to see, overall it‘s a pretty close matchup for me. Both teams managed well to execute the concept their park is based on and both did some amazing work overhere.

I always wanted to build a ski resort, glad we finally have the objects for that now. This shows what Erlebnispark could have been. The ski tracks are done very well and a love the map, also some of the little details like the helicopter amazed me. The problem I have with this is that the architecture doesn‘t keep up with Strangelove‘s for me, and in my opinion the overall park quality besides the mountain area also doesn‘t. I didn‘t mind the RMC, yes, it felt weird, but I just didn‘t cared.

Strangelove‘s architecture is beautiful! The train station is one of my favorite buildings from the contest so far and overall, the park‘s quality is very high up. This also shows great how you can work with path, different levels, bridges etc. to elevate the atmosphere of your park. It misses 1-2 „wow“ moments more compared to the other park, but I though the overall quality was a tad better, which is why I went with this one. Great work from both teams though and a fantastic matchup!
  • bigshootergill%s's Photo
    My reviews have kind of fell off the wagon, but I’d like to get back at it, so let’s get started here:

GRAND CENTRAL: TOP 5
    [1] Beautiful architecture for sure, it’s clean, you build this with purpose, you have a nice variety and basically no glitching, a hard task to pull of with such details.
    [2] Trains!!! Good choice on how to execute a train themed park... it’s been touched on in the past, but this concept brought in opportunities for coasters, archy, just a good mix of ideas.
    [3] Of the 2 coaster a layouts, I enjoyed Ironworks better, but both were decent though... wise choice to stick them away from the Central Station, giving it the focus it deserves.
    [4] I always enjoy a park with a variety of levels... you did this quite well with the tiered buildings, trains running on various levels, picturesque bridges, a couple elevators (always fun to see those for some reason)
    [5] Great little details to find, like the frozen staff... painting salesman, fixing streetlights, elevator repairman etc

This could have perhaps pushed the atmosphere a bit more, even though there’s lots of variety, the park just seemed to be a bit cold. The one corner with the Velvet Ball ride seemed to be boring. But for an R4 park, where the schedule might start wear on a team, great park Strangelove! You keep bringing it!

MOUNT HAYSTACK: TOP 5
    [1] Finally!!! An operational ski resort, I was so happy to finally see this executed... and you guys did it justice. Love how you were able to create a wide variety of routes down each slope to give a busy, authentic feel. The snowboarders on the half-pipe, the bunny hill... great stuff.
    [2] The ski resort atmosphere was well done too, helped by a load of new objects and custom rides. The little skating rink was a nice touch, the new gondola ride... there’s just so much going on everywhere you look.
    [3] The building highlight for me was the Ski Lodge itself... it’s huge, well detailed (nice interiors)... and the buildings running up to the mountain peak were also quite nice
    [4] Foliage was nailed, great touch to improve the snow look with a slightly altered palette... and to mix in those krypton rocks was well played. I love me a great water feature too! :)
    [5] I can see what all the kerfuffle is about regarding the RMC, but setting realism/fantasy aside, just looking at the coaster as is... nice layout, supports, weaving through the landscapes.

For improvements, I would have almost like to see this take the Tahendo Zoo route, I think the space taken up by the coaster could have provided more opportunities to finalize details on the atmosphere... maybe some private cabins, tube ride etc. In other words, go all in on the ski resort.

Great parks to both teams! Still undecided on who will get my vote.
  • Ling%s's Photo

Grand Central seemed unusually glitchy to me. Trains clipping through structures everywhere (particularly the vertical drop coaster), lots of flashing overlapping textures, and the sheer number of trains meant that train whistle sound was playing constantly which became incredibly annoying. Mount Haystack was essentially perfect, even though I agree the RMC is a little overkill for the space and atmosphere. The lodge and resort buildings are both ridiculous in the best possible way. I would love to see this on a bigger scale because the mountain feels so tiny compared to the buildings but the buildings are pretty much perfectly sized.

• G Force%s's Photo

Grand Central seemed unusually glitchy to me. Trains clipping through structures everywhere (particularly the vertical drop coaster), lots of flashing overlapping textures, and the sheer number of trains meant that train whistle sound was playing constantly which became incredibly annoying. Mount Haystack was essentially perfect, even though I agree the RMC is a little overkill for the space and atmosphere. The lodge and resort buildings are both ridiculous in the best possible way. I would love to see this on a bigger scale because the mountain feels so tiny compared to the buildings but the buildings are pretty much perfectly sized.

Grand Central is best viewed with OpenGL enabled, as is every park at this point I'd imagine. Basically eliminates twitching completely.
  • Poke%s's Photo

I thought all the coasters this round were ugly and unnecessary - but in terms of everything else, I much preferred Mount Haystack.

The archy of Grand Central was impressive in some places but the overall park was very stale and inconsistent, but Haystack was so much fun and had a very happy atmosphere. And the two big structures were so well done and very clean too! The concept was just incredibly convincing in general, much more than Grand Central, in my eyes. Thus, Haystack gets my vote.

• WhosLeon%s's Photo
    So first of all, strong match! Two parks full of passion and some quality stuff in both of them. In Grand Central there is one thing that stands out from the rest to me. The big station building is fantastic and to me one of the coolest structures we’ve seen so far. I think you guys couldve done more with trains in it tho. The two tracks coming out of the building just arent enough for such a big station. Id much prefer it if you guys went all out and did a huge rail system. Just my opinion tho! The back half of the park was pretty weak in comparison to me. Pretty stale and the layouts arent the best either. I feel like it wouldve been a way better choice to stick with the dense city theme for the entire thing. Mt Haystack drips of quality. I think the entire thing comes close so perfect execution. The mountain, with ski-riders and their trails in the ice, is fucking sweet dude. Nailed it! Same goes for the lodge actually. Im really impressed that you guys managed transfer this atmosphere into the game so perfectly. I get the critiques on the coaster but i like it (LOVE how it starts inside, looks rad) and i enjoyed watching it. SNAZZY supports aswell guys, great job.

Voted Haystack
  • Camcorder22%s's Photo

Seems like this thread is starting to go in the right direction, but just wanted to emphasize that if you haven't yet, please give Grand Central the viewing and reviewing it deserves.  Holding off on a full review cause it will inevitably be biased, but its a great park that's worth checking out and I'm sure the builders will appreciate the feedback.  Thank you to everyone who has given solid reviews for both parks so far :)

• Scoop%s's Photo

I thought all the coasters this round were ugly and unnecessary - but in terms of everything else, I much preferred Mount Haystack.

The archy of Grand Central was impressive in some places but the overall park was very stale and inconsistent, but Haystack was so much fun and had a very happy atmosphere. And the two big structures were so well done and very clean too! The concept was just incredibly convincing in general, much more than Grand Central, in my eyes. Thus, Haystack gets my vote.

This game is unnecessary :p
  • Jappy%s's Photo

"Guests can't reach Heaven's Gondola!"

0%

• saxman1089%s's Photo

That's just telling you that going to heaven is an impossible dream. No reason to stop sinning, we're all going straight to hell.

• Roomie%s's Photo

Grand Central

Really solid park with some of the best large scale architechture this season. The central station itself reminded me a bit of the main building in Arcanis Mineralis. (which is a good thing). Was great fun to watch the trains run their course and there were some nice nods to real life railways with the slums and the industrial area.

+ Great Architecture

+ Lots of Trains

+ Well executed multi layering gives depth without being crowded.

+ Waterside areas were a hightlight

+ Hopscotch

- Not a huge fan of either coaster even though they are miles better than some seen this year.

Mount Haystack

Wow a fully operating Ski resort. This park has some very nice large scale architecture as well And the huge lodge at the bottom is brilliant. The Alpine coaster is a great addition and really fits the park. The multple different ski runs and routes down are great. The rails and jump section is great and i love the jump off the cliff near the top.

+ Fresh idea executed almost perfectly

+ Great architecture

+ Custom ride types done right in a beliveable setting

+ The helicopter rescue

+ Figureskater spinning around

+ Peeps having sex while singing?

- That RMC. I'm perfectly happy with there being a coaster here but I am still not sold on these RMCs. Its better than the one earlier this season but i hate those barrel roll/corkscrew combos with a passion.

Overall i think both parks are very strong. Probably between 75% and 80% for me on both although the freshness of Haystack just pips Grand Central for me.

• Austin55%s's Photo
    Definitely a hard decision here.

Grand Central was really interesting, kinda some weird moments here and there. I was expecting something more NYC and a bit disappointed that didn't deliver. It kinda falls into that uncanny valley between realism and fantasy that leaves me confused.

The resort was really well executed and the freshness left a good taste. I don't know that I actually preferred it to Grand Central in terms of enjoyment, but did find the execution to be superior enough to win my vote.

Both parks would have been better without thier coasters lol
  • Cocoa%s's Photo

i think there's a class of builders emerging that are less and less into adding coasters in parks. I wasn't gonna have in mekong but russel pushed for it

• Louis!%s's Photo

heavy architecture train park is cool, nice elevation layers, i like elevations, cool park.

best snow park since snowdrift - only snow park since snowdrift? convincing. i liked the rmc, a tad buried in places, but most realistic and convincing use of rmc elements, louis approved.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading