H2H8 / H2H8 Round 4 Match 2 - Icons vs. UltraRealists

This topic hosts comments for 2 parks(View Parks)

Select your favorite park:

1. North Fork Mountain Park 29 votes [47.54%]
    • Camcorder22
    • Poke
    • Goliath123
    • Turtle
    • Casimir
    • Maverix
    • BirbSMB
    • 111112oo
    • Ling
    • Jappy
    • ida
    • RCThibo
    • GammaZero
    • shnupz
    • roygbiv
    • geewhzz
    • BelgianGuy
    • Whitehawk
    • SupraTheHedgehog
    • nin
    • SupraSix
    • Dr_Dude
    • Xtreme97
    • SimFox
    • Belgiancoasterfreak
    • SensualEthiopianPolice
    • misterthom
    • MCI
    • BigB
    Percentage of vote: 47.54%
  2. Park Guell 32 votes [52.46%]
    • Liampie
    • SSSammy
    • dr dirt
    • Six Frags
    • ultro
    • djbrcace1234
    • In:Cities
    • CedarPoint6
    • G Force
    • Steve
    • CoasterCreator9
    • olddtfan51
    • MrTycoonCoaster
    • Cocoa
    • tce_k
    • saxman1089
    • Faas
    • Julow
    • posix
    • Chrixz
    • WhosLeon
    • Roomie
    • Bubbsy41
    • Tom_Dj
    • ottersalad
    • chorkiel
    • CHE
    • Pacificoaster
    • Stoksy
    • bigshootergill
    • Ziscor
    • Tolsimir
    Percentage of vote: 52.46%
  • pierrot%s's Photo

Park Guell will forever remain in my heart. Brilliant use of the objects. Pure fun to explore. Super inspiring.

• chorkiel%s's Photo

Short reviews: Thought North Fork was overly generic and Park Guell looks like a disaster bench park. Luckily for Guell I often like disaster bench parks. Easy vote for Guell.

• G Force%s's Photo

I liked both parks quite a bit, very proud of the person(s) who I'm assuming that built for the Icons, big step up for them.  Sad I had to vote against it.  However, Guell was the clear winner to me, really fantastic stuff and genuine creativity with objects and aesthetics and stuff despite being quite rough around the edges.

Guell - 85%

NFMP - 75%

• BelgianGuy%s's Photo

since this isn't getting the love it deserves, I'll have a go at this

Guell really didn't hit me or anything, it's an amazing park no doubt about that but I gotta say it just didn't work for me and I found a lot of the textures to clash a bit and was sometimes very overwhelming, still well built and executed to the best way the game allows.

North fork was right up my alley. I love this kind of setting and the main coasters where really really good in that they needed to achieve. the looper was great as was the GG hybrid. park was dense but readable to me and the caves where an amazing touch.

I'd give guell a 75% and North fork 80-85%

Voted North Fork

• SensualEthiopianPolice%s's Photo

They're both nice parks, but what holds Park Guell back is the abrasive colors. Sure it's competently built but it doesn't come across as anything new or unique, sorta like a generic fantasy park, if you will. What sells me on North Fork Mountain is the cutaway views, i think that looks fantastic, especially with the mountain mining theme its going for. So yeah, I vote for North Fork

• Liampie%s's Photo

Lol. UltraRealists built something actually realistic, and Sense calls it generic fantasy.

Lol. UltraRealists built something actually realistic, and Sense calls it generic fantasy.

I'm not saying it's not realistic, it just has the feeling of a fantasy park that isn't very fantasy. It *feels* like it's caught between two types of themeing and it just doesn't work for me
  • Liampie%s's Photo

What's fantasy about it?

The overly bright colors, the compactness, the vibrant *Europeaness* of it I guess. It just strikes me as something that could definitely exist in the real world, but wouldn't, if that makes sense. Either way, its not really a 'THIS IS HOW THE PARK IS' statement, its just about the atmosphere of the park to me

• saxman1089%s's Photo

The overly bright colors, the compactness, the vibrant *Europeaness* of it I guess. It just strikes me as something that could definitely exist in the real world, but wouldn't, if that makes sense. Either way, its not really a 'THIS IS HOW THE PARK IS' statement, its just about the atmosphere of the park to me

You know it's basically a recreation right? 

• Liampie%s's Photo

I don't see how bright colours, compactness and European vibes make something fantasy. You realise that a lot of the stuff on this map is recreated from a real place called Park Guell in a real city called Barcelona in the obscure country of Spain? Yep, Europe exists!

• saxman1089%s's Photo

I don't see how bright colours, compactness and European vibes make something fantasy. You realise that a lot of the stuff on this map is recreated from a real place called Park Guell in a real city called Barcelona in the obscure country of Spain? Yep, Europe exists!

That's because we're dirty americans with our greyness and wide open spaces.

But I can almost see where Sens is coming from, it is fantastical, because it's a fantastical place in real life. I wouldn't say Europe is fantasy though, that's taking it a bit far.

i didnt know it was a real park at first, but even knowing its a real place doesnt real change my opinion on it. In RCT, it doesnt look very good, especially with some of the design choices the Ultra Realistis made. It's not a 1 to 1 recreation because thats impossible in NE and so they had to make some decisions on how to build it and i just wasnt too fond of some of them and how they came together.

• Ziscor%s's Photo
    Park Guell

Such an interesting idea! I didn't even know this is based on something until the usual Discord discussion some hours after release-time. With the cookie-cutter cultural park controversy that went down last time, this kinda looks like a strategically built park to help your odds at a win. :p Not saying it is, but kinda funny to see which round it went in. Anyways, here I go.

I tried to go into it without translating that readme or looking up "Park Guell" on Google images because I thought it might influence my first impressions unnecessarily. And for that, this park stands up beautifully on its own. The colours and textures strike as new and different at first, but grow on you pretty quickly. In fact, the way curves are represented in the park might as well be the best way possible in the game as far as I'm concerned. Each object has great purpose. This is also a very clean park for me. This could have horribly gotten so much more overdetailed and messy very easily, but it's not and that's really respectable. I'm trying my hardest to find faults, but I can't find any. You guys really did a great one here, and it's one of my favourite parks of the season... right behind Forum Caeleste and Tubiao. The use of objects is so fresh and inspiring, and after indeed looking at reference images on Google and learning more about what you were going for, I'm super impressed. A park I'll come to several times in the future. It was revolutionary. 

The only faults are nitpicks. Found a few spots where the textures didn't work from all angles, like the single tile quarter slope used for one building on the park edge. Or that the netted enclosure in the back of the park got a bit too overwhelming.

-

North Fork Mountain Park

Well! This looks like quite an interesting contrast to Guell... which turns out well for it, I think. It's definitely a little messy by design, but it's the good kind of messy. Going for a 100% quarter-tiled landscaping park (and then some!) might have been a risk you guys anticipated would require a lot of effort to do, but was it worth it? For me, I guess so? I still haven't decided whether it is or isn't. By the end of this review I guess I'll have settled on one. It makes the park seem much larger in scale than it actually is, which is a pretty great effect, but it's not all that pretty. Except that again seems way too intentional, so never mind. Whoever says this park grows on you the more you look at it, I agree, and it's all because of that mess of a landscaping/foliaging job. Everything else, I definitely loved to look at. From the archy, to the cutaway detail, to even the rides. This is such an immersive park the more I think about it. The strongest spot of the park was definitely the entrance plaza. All of it, I loved that scene a lot.

Despite all this, my overall experience wasn't as fantastic as Park Guell, and I've thought hard about this. The idea was done with finesse, but overall the intentional choices (which I can only assume were intentional!) didn't really work that well with me in the end. The repeated viewings were not too different in skewing that initial perception either. This was kind of a half-assed review and I regret taking so long to do them and not having much to add. Sorry for that! It's hard to explain, but Park Guell was more 'perfect' than North Fork Mountain Park for me, right down to the composition and usage of each object. It being something new we haven't seen helped. 

-

This round was ridiculously hard once again. Even some hours ago I wasn't sure which park I liked more, but final viewings decided that ultimately. Sound like a broken record here but this was again a pretty close call and I wouldn't be surprised to see the votes reflect that. Major props to both teams once again. 

• Liampie%s's Photo

Poll closed

Official match conclusion to follow later. Please stand by. Apologies for the inconvenience.

• trav%s's Photo

Voting Closed

UltraRealists beat the Icons!

UltraRealists vote count: 30 (54.55%)
    Icons vote count: 25 (45.45%)

Park Guell was made by Shotguns? (85%), MK98 (9%), FK+Coastermind (5%), and zxbiohazardzx (1%).
    North Fork Mountain Park was made by Scoop (48%), MrBrightside (48%), and Version1 (4%).

NOTES

As most will notice, the voting at match close does not match with the actual tallies in the poll. It was deemed that members of the Icons team were found to have been crusading for votes from inactive members towards the end of the voting period. Four of these votes were deemed foul play and so have been removed from the tally. The individuals responsible within the team have also been put on a final warning and any further rule breaking will be met with swift repercussions.

UltraRealists also had 2 votes removed; one due to a previous teammate voting, and one due to an account being made 3 weeks ago voting.

On top of this, member Shotguns? was found to leak the park before the deadline to multiple people, and due to this, he has now been removed from the competition. His parks and vote tallies still stand, but he will be removed from the team discord and the team forums so as to no longer have any input on the rest of their season, nor be able to vote on any matches hereafter.

None of these decisions have been taken lightly, and have been done so to ensure the longevity of the competition and the website first and foremost. At the end of the day, we're all here because we want to be here, and no matter how much we all seem to hate each other at any given time, I'm confident that come the end of the competition, we'll have all appreciated the fantastic Rct that has been on offer throughout the competition, and that we'll be looking forward as a community, not backwards.

• In:Cities%s's Photo
    lol
  • Xeccah%s's Photo

LOL

• Version1%s's Photo

I built some towers and some supports

• Goliath123%s's Photo

what in tarnation 

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading