Micro Madness 2019 / MM3 - The Bracket

• Liampie%s's Photo

mm3_200px.png

Bracket

All players have been ranked by skill and distributed over 9 pots of 8 players each. Based on these seeds, the bracket has been determined systematically. In the first round, there are 8 groups of 4 players, and 8 groups of 5 players. The 2 entries voted best of their respective match will proceed to round 2. In the second round, there will be 8 groups of 4 players. Again, the top 2 entries proceed. The third round consists of 4 matches of 4 players, and this time only the very best entry will proceed to the next round; the Grand Final. The third round runner-ups will go on the reserves list for the Grand Final.

The bracket is divided in four quarters, each culminating in a semi-final. If you win a group, you will proceed to the next round in your own quarter. If you come in second though, you will move into another quarter. This is to avoid players facing the same opponents twice before the final. A completely new aspect to the contest is that the people who come in third in their group, will be placed on a reserves list for the next round.

Despite being technically eliminated, reserves can take a gamble and produce an entry anyway. If a player forfeits/drops out, their place will be filled with reserve entries. If there are more reserve entries than there are forfeits, the entries to be used will be picked at random. The list of reserves will be wiped after every round.

There will be no major modifications made to the bracket, as long as it is functional. Only in the case of a match with fewer than three entries, we keep the door open for minor player redistributions.

bracket_r1.png

Excel version for those who want to do predictions:
    Attached File  MM3 predictions.xls (6.06MB)
    downloads: 193

• Liampie%s's Photo

My review.

Group A: Mostly a battle for second place, for which Wouter is the favourite in my opinion. RCT2Day is very dangerous too however, even in ncso. Impulse and Shoepert are going to have a hard time competing with these three, but forfeits and RRP-esque brainfarts are always a real possibility.

Group B: solid names all the way down. BSG is the favourite in my opinion, but it's hard to say what CC9 will do. He's obviously very skilled, but I don't think he's ever shown something on this scale with the density you'd desire on a micro. I can see both otter and Yolo give BSG and CC9 a good challenge.

Group C: Camcorder has a reputation. Can he live up to it? Ling is back from the dead and better than ever. Iron Rattler is developing rapidly and I can easily see him overtake both Cam and Ling here. Lots of potential. Top Gun is a pretty old player, but he always kept a low profile, RCT-wise. I don't rule it out that he's going to surprise us with something very nice.

Group D: alex crippled by time constraints is still alex, clear favourite, leaving Roy and MK98 as main candidates for the second spot. Maddkattunge and Wizard have shown very good work on some discord servers, so they're definitely in the game as well.

Group E: it's a bit of a mystery what mamarillas is going to do, but the other four names are all skilled and experienced. Especially if StormRunnerFan is submitting, this group is going to be a bloodbath.

Group F: Avanine clear favourite, despite no experience with the format. Sulakke needs to get his shit together and perform in a solo contest, it's only 225 tiles for fucks sake. Bio has proven to be skilled and active, and personally I've always been charmed by lightkeeper's modest RCT endeavours. He has object making skills he can use as well.

Group G: another excellent group without weak players. Stoksy and Jappy as established veteran players, CHE as not so shabby third, and TPM as up and coming talent. Very interesting!

Group H: the player I'm looking forward to most is RCTFAN. He was ahead of his time in 2007, then disappeared only to resurface for H2H8. Sadly no one picked him up from the replacements list, so we don't know how serious he was about going back to RCT. But now that he has signed up for another contest, I'm starting to think that he means it. I really hope he does. The RCTFAN from 2007 is still ahead of most players, hence why he still got placed in pot 4. WhosLeon is a sure bet, anyhow, and Austin is a fine player too. L3mmy and SWAG are lesser known names, but all that matters is that they know RCT. I'm personally quite a fan of what SWAG has been doing, looking forward to seeing his entry!

Group I: my group! And I think it's pretty clear I didn't rig the draw to get myself in an easy group, In:Cities and Jaguar are both great players. I think Jaguar is actually one of the potentially most dangerous players in this contest, he seems to have the right idea-oriented mindset for it. ICU is pretty good, and barNID has shown great promise with his screens on reddit. I'm thrilled to face all of you!

Group J: Another notable comeback, KaiBueno. What can he do? It's been so long, no one knows. Kai probably doesn't even know himself, but I guess we're going to find out! Fun fact: Kai and nin both made an appearance in Mike Robbins's Hollywood Hills park back in the day, although I suspect Kai built his stuff years before nin did. Anyway, nin, RWE and 6crazy6king6 are three very good players that can challenge each other. The latter specially is one to look out for, as he is on the rise, recently having won a very nice bronze.

Group K: Recurious has yet to make an impact with a solo park, but his H2H efforts and screens show that he can be considered a top tier player in terms of potential. I think that MM will demonstrate this. Bubbsy is excellent, Choco is a dark horse. Luketh is going to have a hard time against these three, but who knows. Luketh's stuff is fun. Choco is another fun expert. This can be a fun match.

Group L: Steve is totally screwed, having to beat Maverix and shnupz. Odds aren't looking great for Gustav Goblin and the complete unknown BBT, but surprises happen all the time in Micro Madness.

Group M: Dayum, Fisch, FredD and disney who is currently not living in a van (I think). Wonterra and Wacked are good players, but they need to step up their game a little to challenge these three players. An opportunity may be that Fisch doesn't have a great track record with finishing his micros. He may forfeit! (prove me wrong, Fisch)

Group N: Tolsimir and Faas, two stars from H2H champions Team Spacecrab, are definitely the favourites. Xtreme can definitely put up a fight though, and who knows what direction Merz is going to take? I find it very difficult to predict.

Group O: inthemanual is the reigning champion. Very scary on paper, but during MM2019 did have some narrow escapes on the way to the top, so he's not unbeatable. The competition isn't easy: Jimmy (if he submits and completes his comeback, please do!), an improved (and in denial of that fact) Version1, and NE's latest prodigy hoobaroo, who's shown some awesome screens a few days ago. One of the toughest groups, but mostly because it's relatively close.

Group P: dr dirt is definitely the favourite here. After a decade of hardly managing to produce anything, hanging out at the fringe of the community, dirt has emerged as a central figure with top tier skills that have resulted in some finished projects (in H2H). Terry is an up and coming player with already a pretty impressive CV of finished parks and accolades. Same with gdb, although he hasn't finished anything in a long time. Bad and Narc are again two more unknown players, but as far as we've seen they should be able to produce some good micro work. Getting second place will be tough, but it's not unrealistic.

• Mattk48%s's Photo

Good luck to my bracket, and everyone else of course. Get ready for some March madness level upsets ;)

• bigshootergill%s's Photo
    Nice work guys! Loads of behind the scenes to get this contest moving! Let’s have some fun!
  • Cocoa%s's Photo
    Apologies to my bracket, im sufficiently scared of you that im gonna have to come out swinging :p
  • ottersalad%s's Photo
    Q1 has the potential to be all Strangelove members.. thats kind of neat

Edit: Whoops I read that wrong. Thanks Scoop
  • Scoop%s's Photo

no it doesn't

• Jaguar%s's Photo

Interesting brackets and a nice writeup Liampie... looks like I have some stiff competition.

Of course this means you guys are going to have some stiff competition against a tryhard micro as well, unless school gets in the way. Then you guys are going to have some not-so-stiff competition against a tryhard unfinished micro lol. Really looking forward to this though

• Impulse%s's Photo

Bring it on, boys.

• Liampie%s's Photo

• Wacked%s's Photo

Oh poo haha, gl&hf =D

• Cocoa%s's Photo

I thought I'd post my predictions here. They're pretty conservative I'd say, with only a couple predicted upsets mostly based on recent activity. Its also a fair bit biased to the people/styles I'm more interested in seeing go through :p. Also, I have to back myself. I'd probably pick dirt to win but it really is a 4-sided-coin-toss there.

Attached Image: bracket_r1.png

If you're confused about why people are where they are, look at the original bracket which I just followed.

It would be fun to get a sort of betting thing up, but the problem is 2nd places moving around make the later rounds so chaotic to predict- just a small change messes up everything

• 6crazy6king6%s's Photo

My prediction, if nobody drops out early.

Capture.png

• Recurious%s's Photo

My prediction, assuming nobody drops out or submits joke entries (although I think this is unlikely):

yGTU0bT.png

• Tolsimir%s's Photo
    @Cocoa, so I win semis but dont submit in finals? :p
  • AvanineCommuter%s's Photo

My prediction, if nobody drops out early.

Capture.png

Wait, you predict I’ll be third in the first round? :(
  • Scoop%s's Photo

Keep in mind he also thinks liam is going to the finals, and that I will last past round 2.

• Cocoa%s's Photo
    I marked my sheet badly tols don't mind me lol. But sure that could happen i guess
  • Scoop%s's Photo

here you go for those who missed it discord

Attached Image: de714b220a64901d90aafb4d96f5757b.png

• Lilith%s's Photo
    i hope yall are ready to be proven right

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading