News / Hi-Rollers Entry: #1

This topic hosts comments for 20 parks(View Parks)
  • iris%s's Photo
    I don't really agree.
    Its not like every judge gave it a 10.
    Some people had X-Sector first, some had OZONE first, etc.
    What I'm saying is, Mala wasn't first on everyone's list, so he couldn't have been first just on name alone. And name will always have "something" to do with it, but its not like X-Sector's name holds any less awe in my opinion. Look at my top 50 all time parkmakers...see who's ranked above who.
  • sircursealot%s's Photo
    WOW!!!!!!!!!!

What a disappointment. Mount Sinister is my current fave park, and showed the world the full extent of Mala's skills. Suffice to say, not all of them were here. I saw flashes of brilliance (the burning house, some buildings, the coasters) but the rest was below par. I'll be doing a full HR review soon, but for now I'll leave it at this.
    6.5/10
  • Themeparkmaster%s's Photo

but its not like X-Sector's name holds any less awe in my opinion.

Not in a general sense, no.

But ever since Mala showed interest in this contest and it was made public a 'secret' person had entered, Hi-Rollers wasn't mentioned with out Mala's name popping up at the same time. He had this contest won before he even entered.
  • iris%s's Photo
    Actually, that's not true at all.
    His name wasn't mentioned for over 3 months. It was only after I revealed that a "surprise person" was in, that people started mentioning his name.
    What would happen if Nevis, SA, and Mala all entered a contest? According to your theory, they'd all win.
  • Themeparkmaster%s's Photo
    Technically two people did win this contest.

Anyway, it's not a theory for all 'legends', just Mala. You're not going to see it from the same point of view as me because you are one who is in love with his parks so you're obviously not going to be so cynical about him winning.

If I liked his work I'd be on your side of the fence. In the end this just comes down to personal preference.
  • Toon%s's Photo
    Personally, I was a little disappointed in the RCT2 work in the competition. I thought most of the great work was in LL. Then I opened Mala's park! He blew me away. You're right when you say only Mala can do those things and get away with it, because separately he may commit many 'rct sins', but collectively who cares. He's brilliant, creative, and one of a kind. I'm not surprised some don't like his work. When you look at judging and say if it would have been a lesser parkmaker he would've finished lower with the same park, remember where Mantis (parkmaker of the year) finished.
  • John%s's Photo
    Well, I must say that I was disappointed aswell. To me, even BUTTER's RCT2 park had Mala's by a mile ;) And that's saying something coming from a person who isn't exactly 'in love' with his work. lol

Like some others have said, the wooden coaster was rather ugly... I think it would have benefitted from a different color scheme, too much light brown going on everywhere. The B&M was oversupported (like VooDoo said) and kinda' dropped the beauty of it down alot for me.

I have decided that there IS a limit to 1/4 tile scenery objects thanks to this park. IMO he crossed the fine line there and used way more than was needed. Some of the architecture was nice, but using the 1/4 tile crosses to make a 95% of the railway station? Eh... overkill... IMO.

Yeah, and then the treeing was just awful. But that isn't a huge deal I suppose.

So um... 6/10 IMO.

Haven't gotten around to looking at OZONE or x-sector's parks, but I guess I should now.
  • deanosrs%s's Photo
    I think in a small park like the hi-rollers bench, innovation is extremely important. Mala's had the most of that by a long way imo... like Butterfinger's was good, but the wall and custom ship, two main features, were both in euroscape, not identical, granted, but enough to remind me of that park. for this reason his entry definitely stands out. Whether or not it was the best is for everyone make their own minds up i guess.
  • Metropole%s's Photo
    I'll say this.

This park has some of the most amazing work I've seen in RCT2 ever.

However, it has some stuff I don't like

Amazing Stuff:

The best River Rapids ride I've ever seen. Great idea with the lift after the peeps get off
    The Woodie. This was wonderful. Great terrain hugging, loved how it went behind the waterfall, it was all amazing

Not so amazing stuff:

The B&M. Over supported in my opinion. Also, it looked like it was just fit in there to fill a space, and I didn't like it, although good idea with the block brakes before the launch hill.
    Overuse of 1/4 tile blocks...pretty self explanitory, there was just too much

Overall: 9/10

Metro B)
  • mantis%s's Photo
    Escalante River Falls is a scary park. The land varies from -5 to +24 for starters (as high as it'll go). That's just one limit pushed. Both coasters at over 9.95 intensity (teach me, blitz, TEACH ME!). That beemer is ridiculously fast yet STILL is safe, and is scarier that Ghost of Cydonia (which is saying something). Escalante Express is one of the best woodies made (it's in the same league as Kentaur for coolness). And the architecture is, well, something else. I can't think of much to say except:

Everyone looking at this park should go to each building and start deleting scenery pieces. Soon you'll realise that this park could very well be approaching the scenery limit. The Pump 13 building, for example, has cross-beamed windows layered over different coloured glass windows layered over cogs. In other places there are arches over glass, arches over cross beams, windows over fences...and that's just the full-edge theming.

The 1/4 tile theming is even deeper - take some of the gaudi-esque forms around the rapids, start deleting pieces, and you'll be there for fucking ages delving deeper and deeper into the contours! There's no end to it! It's quite disturbing, really, how just the 1/4 tile pieces have produced something completely alien to RCT. The phoenix actually seems to be rising out from the building it's incorporated into - it's magnificent.

The 'Escalante Square' section has the layered style we saw in Troy (with a kind of 'second floor' going over the main level), and carries it off just as well. There're even attractions up there...and the columns holding up the elevated buildings, along with gables and foliage, make it look very realistic. It's a talent of mala to make obviously fantastical things look strangely real - I can seriously imagine sitting there, sipping a drink under a wooden archway, while watching a coaster scream past at 80mph.

Said coaster has a beautiful station (look behind it, too...that weird sunken bit with the brake run is a bit like the bit round the back of the 'mount' in 'mount sinister', where that steel twister dips and dives) and really cool custom supports. I'm not sure about all those turns underneath the lift (causing most of the supports to disappear/not be made) but hey, i'm not about to let that detract from the cool spooky building it dives into, nor the surrounded boomerang, nor ratings.

I'm gonna stop now because I might be going on forever (it's one of those SWA moments). Safe to say i'd have given this 10 if i'd been a judge, and I see absolutely nothing wrong with the trees.

Congratulations Mala - I hope what i've written reflects how you feel about the park. Or maybe it just sounds wholly ingratiating. Either way, it's honest.

FINAL SCORES AND RANKINGS:

Iris
    1 Escalante River Falls - 9.5
    2 Crepe Myrtle Islands - 9
    =3 Lumbini Point - 8.5
    =3 Trojan Dynasty - 8.5
    =3 Earth - 8.5
    =6 Cloverfield Grove - 8
    =6 Heroes & Villains - 8
    =6 Atilus Republic - 8
    =6 Aquazone - 8
    10 Happyland - 7.5
    =11 The Enchanted Waters - 7
    =11 Mahaloe Avenue - 7
    =11 Exodus - 7
    =14 Odium - 6.5
    =14 Earth Through The Ages - 6.5
    =16 The Carnival Of Lost Souls - 6
    =16 Western Thrills Amusement Park - 6
    18 Micool's Islands of Adventure Washington DC - 5.5
    19 Port Veiho Jungle Kingdom - 5
    20 Nightmare Lake - 4

Raven

=1 Escalante River Falls - 10
    =1 Crepe Myrtle Islands - 10
    =3 Heroes & Villains - 9
    =3 Earth - 9
    =3 Aquazone - 9
    =3 Earth Through The Ages - 9
    =7 Lumbini Point - 8
    =7 Trojan Dynasty - 8
    =7 Cloverfield Grove - 8
    =7 The Enchanted Waters - 8
    =7 Odium - 8
    =12 The Carnival Of Lost Souls - 7
    =12 Mahaloe Avenue - 7
    =12 Exodus - 7
    =12 Happyland - 7
    =16 Atilus Republic - 6
    =16 Western Thrills Amusement Park - 6
    18 Micool's Islands of Adventure Washington DC - 5
    =19 Port Veiho Jungle Kingdom - 4
    =19 Nightmare Lake - 4

ToonTower

=1 Escalante River Falls - 9
    =1 Earth - 9
    =1 The Carnival Of Lost Souls - 9
    =4 Crepe Myrtle Islands - 8.5
    =4 Lumbini Point - 8.5
    =6 Trojan Dynasty - 8
    =6 Cloverfield Grove - 8
    =6 Heroes & Villains - 8
    =6 Atilus Republic - 8
    =6 The Enchanted Waters - 8
    =6 Odium - 8
    =12 Aquazone - 7.5
    =12 Happyland - 7.5
    =14 Earth Through The Ages - 7
    =14 Exodus - 7
    16 Western Thrills Amusement Park - 6.5
    =17 Mahaloe Avenue - 6
    =17 Port Veiho Jungle Kingdom - 6
    =17 Nightmare Lake - 6
    20 Micool's Islands of Adventure Washington DC - 5.5

Pyro

1 Cloverfield Grove - 10
    2 Crepe Myrtle Islands - 9.5
    3 Trojan Dynasty - 9
    4 Escalante River Falls - 8.5
    =5 Lumbini Point - 8
    =5 Atilus Republic - 8
    =5 The Enchanted Waters - 8
    8 Heroes & Villains - 7.5
    9 Exodus - 7
    =10 Odium - 6
    =10 The Carnival Of Lost Souls - 6
    =10 Mahaloe Avenue - 6
    13 Aquazone - 4.5
    14 Western Thrills Amusement Park - 4
    15 Earth Through The Ages - 3
    =16 Earth - 2
    =16 Happyland - 2
    =16 Micool's Islands of Adventure Washington DC - 2
    =16 Port Veiho Jungle Kingdom - 2
    20 Nightmare Lake - 1

Coaster Ed

=1 Escalante River Falls - 10
    =1 Lumbini Point - 10
    =3 Crepe Myrtle Islands - 9.5
    =3 Trojan Dynasty - 9.5
    =5 Cloverfield Grove - 9
    =5 Heroes & Villains - 9
    =5 Odium - 9
    =8 Atilus Republic - 8.5
    =8 The Carnival Of Lost Souls - 8.5
    10 Earth - 8
    =11 The Enchanted Waters - 7
    =11 Aquazone - 7
    =11 Earth Through The Ages - 7
    =11 Port Veiho Jungle Kingdom - 7
    =15 Mahaloe Avenue - 6.5
    =15 Happyland - 6.5
    =15 Micool's Islands of Adventure Washington DC - 6.5
    18 Exodus - 6
    19 Nightmare Lake - 5.5
    20 Western Thrills Amusement Park - 5

Foozy - Tiebreak

Escalante River Falls > Crepe Myrtle Islands
    Lumbini Point > Trojan Dynasty > Cloverfield Grove
    Earth > Carnival Of The Lost Souls
    Earth Through The Ages > Mahaloe Avenue

Overall
    =1 Escalante River Falls - 47
    =1 Crepe Myrtle Islands - 47
    =3 Lumbini Point - 43
    =3 Trojan Dynasty - 43
    =3 Cloverfield Grove - 43
    6 Heroes and Villains - 41.5
    7 Atilus Republic - 38.5
    8 The Enchanted Waters - 38
    9 Odium - 37.5
    =10 Earth - 36.5
    =10 The Carnival of Lost Souls - 36.5
    12 Aquazone - 36
    =13 Earth Through The Ages - 32.5
    =13 Mahaloe Avenue 32.5
    15 Exodus - 31
    16 Happyland - 30.5
    17 Western Thrills Amusement Park - 27.5
    18 Micool's Islands of Adventure Washington DC - 24.5
    19 Port Veiho Jungle Kingdom - 24
    20 Nightmare Lake - 20.5

Parkmaker Placings: 1-7, 10, 16 *blushes*
    Best Non-Parkmakers: Aviator, TPM, Hevydevy
    Realism Prize: Atilus Republic
    Fantasy Prize: Odium/Lumbini Point

hmmm...this is fun...

Best Steel: The Nemesis @ Lumbini Point
    Best Wooden: Escalante Express @ Escalante River Falls
    Best Adventure: The Tour @ Earth
    Crappest Name: Lumbini Point

OK so i'm feeling sleepy now. That's your lot. Big pat on the back for everyone involved, the best competition in the RCT community (so far) is over. Can't wait for the next one!!
  • Roomie%s's Photo

Mala over X-Sector? Not in a million years

No offence to X-sector he his on of my fave park makers

but every bloody time mate in my opinion.
  • sloB%s's Photo
    I don't know what to say about malas.....

I mean I absolutley LOVED it in a lot of places but i others I didn't really like it. I loved the coasters personally, and the 1/4 tiles were used beautifully, but the flowering and treeing took away from it aesthetically.

As toon said though, this park is best when looked at collectivley, becuase there are so many parts that alone would be considered poor parkmaking, but altogether I love hti spark.
  • JiMeMo%s's Photo
    meh, I really didnt like Mala's park too much. 1/4 tiles theming was awesome. I couldnt stand the coasters though.
  • Scarface%s's Photo
    expect my reviews at the weekend.....
    But mala, your a god.. Great use of 1/4 tiles but horrible tree selection..
  • AustinPowers%s's Photo
    WOW...

I'm not sure how anyone could give Mala's park a 6....a 6.5??
    While admittedly some items were overused...1/4 tiles, 1/4 tile crosses, those ugly bamboo shoots..
    I think this park should have won the contest and if not this one...butterfingers...but more on that later.
    I am wondering if this is Mala's 1st attempt at a RCT2 park...and if so...that boggles the mind right there...The pump station was cool....and that Rapids ride with all the landscaping was amazing...I think Kumba could learn something here... :). I too loved the woodie but I did think the steel was oversupported and went way too fast thru those elements...but those elements....were cool...
    The landscaping was phenonemal...crazy ass good....some buildings were very well done...others maybe a bit blocky...I liked the use of the 1/4 tile stuff around the rapids....
    But the most amazing part of the park was its innovation...which is the best thing about any park imo...

As for butterfingers park...I loved it! He's my favorite parkmaker and he certainly didn't let me down with this park either. I love the way his parks are all crowded with architecture....and he also always does something innovative...that ship was sweet....

X-sectors and Ozone's parks were also very good...Ozone gets better every park he makes. All these parks in this contest were so well done...I congratulate all of you. Tough job for the judges...I wouldn't have wanted to pick the best out of this bunch...
  • Turtleman%s's Photo
    X sector's was at least twice as better sorry to say.
  • BigFoot%s's Photo
    I think this just goes to show you how great this competition really was. I mean, if x-sector had finished first over Mala, then people would have complained that Mala should have one.

Thats how good the quality of parks were, that the top two-three parks were mouth-watering/eye shattering, and the top ten just amazing, and all the parks outstanding for any contest.

I think that, maybe with mala winning, such a 'legend' in the community, hell, he's so rare he's more like a myth, might have been icing on the cake for the contest, maybe just a topper for the tree so to speak.

Whether or not that's the case, doesn't really matter. What matters is that Mala did produce some excellent work in rct2, and since he is Mala, he has the right to break a few rules in style, becuase he can do it and make it look good.

In anycase, does it really matter? The contest was the best ever in the community, Mala won, yay. I just can't get over the fact that, Mala went to rct2 and won, if he would have stayed in LL, how bad would he have creamed everyone?

Ok then i'm done.
  • Aviator%s's Photo
    Great contest everyone. Thanks Iris/Raven and the judges involved, and all who participated.
  • thorpedo%s's Photo
    Mala over X-sector? Never.
    The best thing in rct2? No.
    The best OMG!!1thing!1! ever? No.

X-sector killed Mala. Really truly killed him. GJ to X.

I don't know what to think about Mala's. Its....quaint. And strange. I like your other stuff better.

My Hi-Rollers List:
    20. Port Veiho Jungle Kingdom
    19. Nightmare Lake
    18. Earth
    17. The Enchanted Waters
    16. Western Thrills Amusement Park
    15. Mahaloe Adventure
    14. Happyland
    13. Micool's Islands of Adventure
    12. Earth Through the Ages
    11. Exodus
    10. Cloverfield Grove
    9. The Carnival of Lost Souls
    8. Aquazone
    7. Heroes and Villains
    6. Odium
    5. Escalante River Falls
    4. Trojan Dynasty
    3. Atilus Republic
    2. Lumbini Point
    1. Crepe Myrtle Islands

Tada.
  • natelox%s's Photo
    ^ that was almost predictible. You definetly have a style of park you like and nothing differs from it.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading