News / Hi-Rollers Entry: #1

This topic hosts comments for 20 parks(View Parks)
  • Prince%s's Photo
    Everyone thinks its mala, though it might you have to accept the fact that there are other possiblilities. What if secretly SAC made an entry, or if....dare I say...Schuessler? Just keep in mind it might not be mala, though it might be so dont get your hopes up.

~Prince Ashitaka~ 8@
  • x-sector%s's Photo
    I keep thinking its going to be joe holland for some reason.

EDIT or is it blitz
  • Raven-SDI%s's Photo
    Hello.

^ LoL.

Raven-SDI
    §
  • Micool%s's Photo
    The feeling I get is that the park is really, really, draw-dropping bewilderingly surprising. I dunno, seems more like mala than JS or Joe or SAC.

x-sector's was brilliant. x has a feel for the game like no one else. The oil rig was just like something Coaster Ed would have made (true compliment) and the mountainside area with soul train and Phish Food...mmm...one of my favorite areas, ever. I want to build like that. :(

Great job x :)
  • BigFoot%s's Photo
    Mala said he was entering. Mala never lies.
  • x-sector%s's Photo

Great choice of custom scenery. If time allows, I'm in.

Thats says if time allows he will be entering.
  • iris%s's Photo
    All entries post.
    CONGRATS MALA!
    Thanks for entering!

And the final standings...

Standings
  • ECC%s's Photo
    :OMG:
    Holy fucking shit.

It's brilliant. All the themeing with the quarter tile blocks is damn great. Easily the best rct2 park ever. Easily.
  • Roomie%s's Photo
    bugger me... Impressive... amazing etc etc
    way to go mala.. now u see why he shouldnt of been that low in the top 50.. i demand a rethink.
  • mantis%s's Photo
    Seeing as this 1-2-knockout combination has come so quickly, i've only looked at X's so far, so I'm going to save my super-superlatives for when i've looked at Mala's...congratulations, both of you - perhaps the great man will grace us with his presence now he knows the result?!

Crepe Myrtle Islands

This is no doubt a brilliant park, but i'm going to get the bad stuff out of the way first:

[*]Lose marks for taking submarine/names. I love it when people use other peoples' ideas, but only when they put their own spin on it. I dunno, maybe it's just me...

[*]You failed to include the requisite 10 banners stating 'mantis is the best'

Now for the good stuff. The landscaping is fascinating - you seem to mould buildings and attractions into unfeasibly tall mountains and it never looks bad. The overlapping/tunneling of the scenery and coasters is scary, and I think that the general continuity is your winning talent. Soul Train is so fun to watch, Phish Food has a great name (and a funky layout) and Manta is classy (even though I felt it could have done with a final corkscrew...) You're at the top of your game at the moment - actually, I think you're still rising. LOS shows how out on your own you are, and I think it's time to bask in the glory you deserve. Go X!

PS it might be worth mentioning that the time it took me to look at this park, 6 years, is about a third of the time it took X to make the damn thing...this guy is as fast as Ozone, and just as good...i'm so damn envious. Also, just for fun, turn on 'ride height marks' while looking at that oil rig...it's hilarious.

Mala...i'll comment on your park once i've looked at it. I'm bewildered by your participation in the community - you're as good as absent as far as I can tell (yet iris tells me you're on all the time) but every single park you release is a massive event, and it seems like everything in between is just filler before the next mala release. If this is just an indication of what your capable (being a small map with time restrictions) then i'm frightened of what your next (rct2?) megapark will be like. Still waiting on those interactive maps, though ;)
  • deanosrs%s's Photo
    absolutely amazing. everything about it was brilliant... I won't go into detail because i'd just sound stupid saying everything was so good.

Thanks for everyone who organised and judged this etc... it's been a brilliant contest, and I hope to see many more.
  • Themeparkmaster%s's Photo
    Congratulations Mala, but, what in the name of fuck was that?

Mala over X-Sector? Not in a million years.

Once again a park rides on the sheer presence of the name 'Mala'. Because he is such a legend in this community when ever he makes something it is regarded as incredible and no one questions it. Does the fact that it has the worse treeing in years, a terrible path layout, disgusting colours and poorly designed buildings not count in a Mala park?

Ok, it has great landscaping, a nice river rapids and an amazing launched beemer. But the woodie is too short and is just a run of the mill coaster that gains anything good it has going for it from the landscaping.

I know I'm going to take some shit for my views, but I can't see how a park like this beats out X-Sectors.

X's was truly amazing (baring the rip off of SWA's rapids ;)). It had great hacks, theming, traditional coaster layouts, fun coaster layouts, ocean loads of originality and most importantly an incredible atmosphere in each area. The only real bad thing was the overdone splashes.

Mala's was a good park, no doubt about it. I enjoyed it more than any other Mala creation (very suprising considering I despise RCT2) but did it deserve such a high placing and to edge the top spot over X-Sectors? I don't think so.

Oh well, congratulations anyway. Looks like I'll never be convinced Mala is an RCT Messiah. X, on the other hand...
  • Coaster Ed%s's Photo
    Me giving Escalante a 10 had nothing to do with it being Mala. The park is far and away the most creative thing I've ever seen in RCT2. The use of 1/4 tile theming is a revelation. This is why Toon's 1/4 tile theming is the best thing that ever happened to RCT2. Every building looks different and totally authentic. Maybe the trees don't meet the so-called standard of RCT beauty here but they contribute to the unique look of the park. This is parkmaking. It's a testament to Mala's skill that he can switch over to RCT2 and continue to amaze with his creativity and innovation. I don't know how you do it.

If anyone is curious, I gave X a 9.5 only because the seperate parts of the park didn't quite fit together and feel like one park. Everything there was terrific, and the oil rig was astounding. Congratulations to you too X-Sector, your park was great and you sould be proud of it. And OZONE, you should be damn proud too. And Butterfinger, and Cork, and everyone who entered. This contest has given me the best LL work and the best RCT2 work I've ever seen. Thanks a lot everyone!
  • Blitz%s's Photo
    my life is complete.
  • Aeroglobe%s's Photo
    Wow. This is one of the most amazing things I've ever seen. I've had it open for maybe 60 seconds, and already, I'm finding many items of great creativity. The "Temple of the Pheonix" ride is pretty cool, even cooler is the pheonix sculpture. I also see one of the few proper uses of the Elevator ride, the only good example before this is WME's Elevator in Mount Awkward. Very creative. And, The quarter tile-age is amazing! There seem to be very few full tile objects, which is very cool.

The area the Elevator and the Skylift goes to is pretty neat, too. Escalante River Falls is very well themed, and Escalante Express is plain crazy. Very much like Mountain Chase. The B&M has elements I could never image. The top hat over the lift hill, the insane helix by the cobra roll, it's all the best of everything.

The area around the Carousel has some amazing architecture. It's unusually real looking, which is usual for Mala, but the coasters make up for it.

Simply amazing. Mala killed the box. This completely deserved first place in the High Rollers, and this is definitely the best competition. Ever.

A big congrats to all who entered, hopefully we'll be able to see something like this again.

Aérôglòbe Posted Image
  • theforceofg2003%s's Photo
    i loved it, looks really nice and works good as well, although i think that launch twister would make my head explode :l33t:
  • Dixi%s's Photo

Congratulations Mala, but, what in the name of fuck was that?

Mala over X-Sector? Not in a million years.

Once again a park rides on the sheer presence of the name 'Mala'. Because he is such a legend in this community when ever he makes something it is regarded as incredible and no one questions it. Does the fact that it has the worse treeing in years, a terrible path layout, disgusting colours and poorly designed buildings not count in a Mala park?

Ok, it has great landscaping, a nice river rapids and an amazing launched beemer. But the woodie is too short and is just a run of the mill coaster that gains anything good it has going for it from the landscaping.

I know I'm going to take some shit for my views, but I can't see how a park like this beats out X-Sectors.

X's was truly amazing (baring the rip off of SWA's rapids ;)). It had great hacks, theming, traditional coaster layouts, fun coaster layouts, ocean loads of originality and most importantly an incredible atmosphere in each area. The only real bad thing was the overdone splashes.

Mala's was a good park, no doubt about it. I enjoyed it more than any other Mala creation (very suprising considering I despise RCT2) but did it deserve such a high placing and to edge the top spot over X-Sectors? I don't think so.

Oh well, congratulations anyway. Looks like I'll never be convinced Mala is an RCT Messiah. X, on the other hand...

I agree.

Honestly, the Mala park was over rated. If I had built it, the placing would prolly have been about 3rd. Not taking away from the glory of the park, I do like it, and I havnet seen X's or Ozones parks, but from what I've heared both Ozones and X's were better.

Personaly I think Mala's was messy, and at times it look rushed. I dis-liked the beemer, IMO it was toaly over supported and had a totaly freaked layout, and I thought the woodie had a few too many 'flat' sections (however the speeding was top notch on the woodie, the Beemer was too fast!). I think his architecture is good, it has a certain appeal to me, Its not the best/most appealing or even solid, yet I enjoyed exploring his buildings more than just about any park to date, so 10/10 from me in that area. The landscaping was very dramatic, which is fantastic, I absolubtly love large mountains, but IMO (and others by the sound of it) it did have bad treeing, but I liked the ruins ect.

Overall, parts of it I love, parts of it I hate. The coasters are totaly weird, but I've heared thats a Mala trade mark, your either going to love them or hate them, sad to say it but I hate them. Architechture wise the park is great, maybe more of it would help though, but at the same time you dont want to rinse the theme. Landscaping was brilliant, aside from the bare areas. I personaly would have given it an 8.5/10.

Props to all involved in the contest. Judges, I think you did a wonderful job, its a hard task, and you all made good descisions. Iris and Raven, thank you for bringing us some exceptional parks by motivating the whole community, cant wait for this new contest. Well done to all those that managed to get an entry in too, Im unbelievalby dissapointed that I didnt enter this contest, but thats life eh?

:scarface:
  • Twisted%s's Photo
    Awesome, what a contest.

All of these parks were amazing!

My favourites were probably Earth Through The Ages, Odium, Atilus Republic, Lumbini Point and of course Escalante River Falls in LL.

In RCT2 only Mala, Butta' and adam really impressed me, but i didnt look at them for too long.

Lumbini Point and Escalante River Falls were definetly the best 2 for me though.
    On the whole the quality of these parks is amazing.

I wish I did enter as it was such an awesome contest.
    Well done everyone!
  • mantis%s's Photo

Does the fact that he's in such a position demonstrate that there's a sufficient number of people continually inspired by his work to give him the status he has today?
    Plus, saying that the 5 judges (five of the most prominent members of the community) have given away $25 and one of the most prestigious prizes in the rct community based on name alone is a bit, well, rich.
  • Themeparkmaster%s's Photo
    I'm not saying he got No.1 based upon name alone. That's ridiculous. I've allready said the park was good enough to get a high placing, just not No.1 in my opinion.

However I'd be willing to bet just about everything I own that if this same park was submitted by VooDoo (for arguments sake) it wouldn't have won. There is no way we will know if this would have happend or not. The judges can claim that they didn't take the fact that it's a Mala park into account as much as they want but subconciously that fact is there.

I just don't believe if another lesser known parkmaker made the same park he wouldn't be marked down for poor treeing and what not. If Mala does it though it's obviously amazing, because he made it.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading