RCT Discussion / The Purpose of RCT...

• Scorchio%s's Photo
    Hello All :)

Good on you guys at New Element. You make some AMAZING parks, some of which I imagine would take absolutely AGES to complete. I love downloading all the Spolights, Runner Ups and such, and just watching them, but...

... what's the point of making a park if you can't open it to the public? Half the fun of RCT and RCT2 is watching all the little people ENJOY the park that you've made, seeing if the park rating withstands your designs, keeping all the little peeps happy, hearing the screams of delight (and terror), and watching the whole thing in motion.
    I'm not a big fan of just watching the rides go round on their circuits without anyone actually on them. There's a bloody "Make Double Paths" feature on the Beast Trainer. Why doesn't anyone use this?

Your parks are cool guys, but they're completely useless at the same time. Thanx to RoomRaider for Arnos Springs and Snowdrop. They're both EXCELLENT sinle path parks that are great fun to watch.

I'd be interested to see if anyone else agrees with me on this one...
  • Alec%s's Photo
    Some people make single wides still.

They make wider paths because its more realistic and looks better.
  • natelox%s's Photo
    RCT to us is not so much about use, it's more about "How can we make it look good" or "How can I get this to work". RCTLL is about two things (basically), making parks look good and inventing new things. I really don't care if I can't open my parks or not, I hate peeps anyways. They complain way too much for what it's worth.
  • Alec%s's Photo
    Oops.
  • Panic%s's Photo
    My view is that the inability of most NE parks to be peep-accomodating is all Chris Sawyer's fault. ;)

Seriously. He should have programmed the game so that the peeps walk to certain destinations in the park, based on what the park has to offer. In single-wide path parks, the peeps walk around aimlessly, guided only by the direction of the paths. In multiple-wide paths, well, they just walk around aimlessly. Personally, I applaud NE members for looking above this shortcoming in the programming of the game and concentrating on realism and making their parks look good. (If Arnos Springs and Snow Drop have single-wide paths and manage to look good at the same time, then kudos to roomraider for managing to do that.)

Plus, most major coasters in NE parks are over 7.50 intensity. Even if the park is set up with single-wide paths so that peeps get to the coasters, they probably wouldn't ride them.

And you know that when you submit a park to NE, the REAL peeps that are going to be exploring your park are the other members of NE, not those little figurines walking around aimlessly.
  • Raven-SDI%s's Photo
    Hello.

Rollercoaster Tycoon = artistic expression

Hard to believe, but it's true. It's not just about making rides or parks.
    It's what you want YOUR own park to look like, or just recreating a theme to your liking and making it look as good as possible.

RCT = art

Raven-SDI
    §
  • Themeparkmaster%s's Photo
    This topic is screaming out for a reply from Ed.
  • Evil WME%s's Photo
    Ed! Ed! Ed!

oh well.. i agree tho, and in RCT2 this will definitely be one thing i won´t leave out. Actually, in my last RCT1 park it´s something i won´t leave out either.
  • cBass%s's Photo
    I do agree with Gatecrasher, to an extent. It's quite possible in RCT2 to make a park peep-friendly if you're careful, and to me it's more exciting having them around. I'm definitely more impressed with a park if the maker has managed to keep the peeps happy as well as the viewer.

At the same time, I understand that not everyone is as patient as I am, and that peepless parks are a long-standing tradition.

To each his (or her) own.
  • Janus%s's Photo
    Since I believe RCT is a form of art, I'd say that the best is to make peep-friendly when it serves a purpose. There's no use in having lots of laughing peeps ruining that dark and gloomy atmosphere you spent so many hours creating, but a realistic park without peeps is rather boring.
  • JKay%s's Photo
    I agree. Making a peep-friendly park is more than half the challenge, and making a peep-friendly that looks good is the ultimate challenge. Realism is key, but how can a park be "real" without people in it. It seems that here at NE, looks are everything, but I feel you need both peep approval and good looks to have the ultimate RTC park.
  • x-sector%s's Photo
    all the peeps do is moan so fuck them.
  • mantis%s's Photo

all the peeps do is moan so fuck them.

^

I'll leave making peeped parks to Roomie and Mala, cos I can't stand the little twats to be honest.
  • RCTNW%s's Photo
    The main reason for me is due to a slow P.o.S. of a computer that if I have them roaming around, the game is way too slow for me.

With that being said, even if I had a faster computer, I will still keep them out as I agree with Raven.

rctnw
  • v1perz%s's Photo
    I also agree with raven, RCT is art.

Think about it, if you make a coaster and it doesn't look good, you demolish it and make it look better, no matter the ratings. The peeps in the game are to pussy to ride the real coasters that we make, because the game makes them to intense.

Also, the architecture is made to flow with the park and look good. It looks artistic in the way that your rides interact with the scenery and the landscapes.

If you like peep friendly parks, thats ok, but i don't see a reason for caring about those bitches who won't ride any of your real coasters and wander aimlessly around your paths, because if you do xcare about them, your park will suffer in the way it looks and the people who matter, us viewing the park, will like it less.

I hope that made sense...
  • A14504%s's Photo
    rct is a art, it is also a way to challenge yourself and others
  • Scorchio%s's Photo

The main reason for me is due to a slow P.o.S. of a computer that if I have them roaming around, the game is way too slow for me.

I agree though...

My comp ain't fast, so if I DO have peeps running around, it does tend to go slower.

I know the NE is about realism, and apart from the occasional "hacked to the max" ride, you guys seem to acheive it quite nicely. But sometimes what lacks in a parks atmosphere is the people. Take Mala's Mountain Beach for example. I remember opening it, and sititng there, watching it for about an hour, because it was exciting to watch, hear the screams and laughter.

Contrary to what I have said though, the park I'm working on now has double/triple wide paths, because it takes alot of the tediousness out, and the park overall seems to look better.

So I can see where you guys are commin' from...
  • PyroPenguin%s's Photo
    While you appear to be looking for some feedback and what not from the peeps in the game we get it from the community. A peep walking around your park and giving his evaluation through happiness and behaviors programmed into the game isn't nearly as satisfying for me as winning a spotlight award for my work and ending up with over 1,000 real people downloading the work. I would just prefer the reaction from actual people than the reaction of the peeps.
  • Scorchio%s's Photo
    You got me there...
  • Coaster Ed%s's Photo
    The screams and laughter are fun, no doubt about that. But with all the hassle that comes with it, it just isn't worth it to let peeps into your parks. I started out playing RCT scenarios like everyone else. Building lame shuttle loop coasters because they made more money than huge multi-elements coasters and dealing with the constant whining from the peeps. But just like any other sim game, the financial aspect gets old before the desire to create goes away and eventually someone comes a long with a money cheat that allows you to unleash your creativity the way you always intended. Sim City was the same way. Building the city is fun, worrying about how much to pay your firefighters and raising taxes so you can afford a better power plant is fun for a little while but loses it's charm. Once you realize that peeps are obsolete, there are several compelling reasons to leave them out all together.

1]Wide paths are more aesthetically pleasing. You can see more of the park when it isn't all crammed together. It was also a neccesity for recreations and there was a time when it seems everybody was making recreations.

2]If you have peeps you need to build stalls everywhere. Bathrooms, food stalls, drink stalls, souvenir stalls. This may not be an issue for everybody, but when your always on the edge of the 255 ride limit, you don't want to waste 50 or so rides on stalls.

3]If you have peeps you need to hire staff. Lots of staff. You need to place them and give them roaming areas. You need to fix the benches that get destroyed by angry peeps. All of this is taking away from time that would be better spent creating.

So if all you want to do is build the best themepark or world you can, peeps do nothing but get in the way. There is a fun interactive aspect to following peeps around and watching them ride your rides and eat cotton candy. It's fun for one afternoon maybe to have peeps in your park riding your rides. But with all the peep AI problems and the other concerns you have to worry about with peeps mentioned above, they're just more trouble than they're worth. I don't have anything against peeps, they just aren't that fun to me anymore. So I add personality to my parks in other ways so people can wander around them and imagine the peeps are in there. It's not a perfect solution, but I think it's the best one.

Tags

Members Reading