Contests / NE Invitational

This topic hosts comments for 3 parks(View Parks)

NE Invitational

1. Dragon Realm by Micool 5 votes [9.62%]
    Percentage of vote: 9.62%
  2. Age of Empires by mantis 36 votes [69.23%]
    Percentage of vote: 69.23%
  3. Candlelight Times by Evil WME 11 votes [21.15%]
    Percentage of vote: 21.15%
  • Evil WME%s's Photo
    believe it or not i wrote this huge review for both micool and mantis, and my pc crashed.. and i can´t be bothered to repeat all that thought..

i thought mantis park really takes the cake with the medeival and greek areas. They were both umbelievable. The beemer and woodie were both magnificent, and i loved the crisp atmosphere of the grecian section. I also liked mantis egyptian section, with some bigger than usual buildings which seemed very fitting. The entrance was small, and i didn´t really like the tower.. but the flowering was beautiful. The parts i didn´t like were Alien Factory and the Wilderness section. The invert really seemed to helix on and on and it didn´t carry the connection one coaster should have imo. All in all, the lesser areas are hugely overshadowed by the great ones. The beemer mixed in regular beemer elements beautifully with Mantissy coaster ways (whatever you call it =P) and the theming was another beautiful mix with the cliche pyro/fatha theming, and mantissy goodness. The Grecian section is my favorite, a very beautiful coaster, lovely archy, and it felt really alive. Anyways, Mantis looks to be like a definite winner.

Micool, i still wub the cactus. I really liked the ideas and creativity, but i couldn´t really like the coasters at all. I love looking at all the details, and i wish i still had the write-up in which i explained some more of it. It´s amazing you fit 6 areas in that small little map.

My park... i don´t know what to say, but enjoy =D. Thx for all the positive comments on it =D.
  • Ablaze%s's Photo

Yes, Old Coventry is the best medieval area I've ever seen

I think I might have to set a poll up actually, Mantis's Old Coventry or Pyro's Medievil area in Aurora's Bay. Be very close. They are both incredible.
  • Janus%s's Photo
    Yeah, and Fatha's medieval area in TC is pretty good as well. But the elevation changes did it for me. Mantis rules.
  • Butterfinger%s's Photo
    I went 'Evil' and voted 'WME'. I cant say I was *in love* with any of the parks, but they all had their amazing parts. For Micool, that would be the Sandman (whatever its name is :lol:) area (Possibly one of the best areas in the entire contest). The other three areas were okay..... athough I did really like that cactus. Mantis, you had some cool stuff going on, but personally I found most of it rather ugly. The coasters were the amazing part here (with exeption of the painfully cliche' floorless and invert). I especially liked Yeti... easily my favorite SLC. WME, nothing in particular was really amazing in your park, there were a lot of things. Interesting architecture, some cool coasters, ect. The more origonal park layout and larger variety of sections was probably the thing that catapulted this park over the others in my eyes though. EVERY park brought some new un-thought-of idea to the table however. Nice job everyone.
  • sircursealot%s's Photo
    Umm, wow. What a great show. All were extremely high quality, and right now, I'm debating between Micool's and mantis'. Evil's was nice, but it looked like he lost momentum after that great entrance area. mantis' was, in a word, solid. Alien Factory and Mongolia were by far the highlights for me. Such innovation and skill... just wow. Aegean Isle was also fantastic, and the architecture is much more complex than some of the stuff in WOMB. The coasters (excluding Zirillion) were weak, but I definitely enjoyed AoE. Micool's was also fantastic. Had this been a bit bigger, it would have gotten my vote, no doubt. But the quality is definitely there. Micool for parkmaker!

Also iris, if you're gonna use my crappy walkthrough, contact me to get a better version. I have to change a few things.
  • x-sector%s's Photo
    I can't decide at the moment this contest might have a null vote from me. there all great parks and I don't know who to decide to pick. they all had somthing I liked.

I will have to look at them more and then I'll vote and give each a little write up if I can be bothered ;) (plus I'm not good at writing)
  • Andrew%s's Photo
    Mantis !
    I'm very disappointed in you, doing a mongolian area and not coming to me, ( my pet idea for an area for a while, but regardless, I'd love to see someone as talkented as mantis do Mongolia, and do it CORRECTLY!)

Lost in Darkest Peru? nothing to do with mongolia, the mongols were never in peru, or had ever even heard of peru.8@

Yeti?Mountains?What!? Ancient Mongolia was on the steppes of the Gobi Desert, flat cold frigid PLAINS. They interacted with mountains once they invaded Tibet and China, but their homeland was the steppes, flat and barren as far as the eye can see, with small foothills in rows poking up through the middle in places. 8@

If there was no mention of Genghis, Kublai or Ogodai Khan, or Subotai, then major "lack of historical accuracy" points docked. They were the single most influencial figures in all of Mongolia, especially Genghis

It was well made, by all means, but historically inaccurate, which freaks me out as you know.

especially on my favorite ancient civilization, the undefeatable mongol horde

;) ;) ;)
  • Coaster Ed%s's Photo
    You've got a point Andrew, but as you probably know, historical accuracy wasn't a main motivation. At least I doubt it was. There are infinitely many ways to buld a park. So may factors to consider. Some people like to build amusement parks as if they were real. Some people like to recreate historical places or imaginary places. Some people like to experiment with the tools of the game, and some experiment with the actual perspective (cBass I'm looking at you ;) ). So I can understand why you would be disappointed with accuracy if that's your primary consideration. I'm sure you're just having a bit of fun anyway (those three ;) at the end sortof suggest that).

I just have to say that the Mongolian area is my favorite area in the park because I think it's the most unique to mantis. He's established himself as the master of the SLC with Cryptic Tenoke and the wonderful SLC in this area. The landscaping is second to none. Spiraling themes around huge mountains seems to be what mantis does best. I love all the waterfalls especially. Taking away all the trees I understand better how it was constructed. It's not as complex as I first thought but I give you all the credit in the world for being able to create such a convincing atmosphere in the way that you do. It's stunning how much better you've gotten in the last year, but I guess that's true for all of us. Yeah so this has becoming mantis admiration hour for me but what can I say, I'm entranced. Although I love the B&M coaster, the medieval section is actually my least favorite in the park. It feels a little too sprawling and repetitive like the theme lost focus a bit. The Egyptian and Minoan sections are especially impressive because they are just the right size. And for the record, I love huge buildings like the one that houses the mine train. Sometimes you don't need all those windows to make something look good.
  • Toon%s's Photo
    Each of these parks had their brilliant moments, but overall I do think Mantis deserves the win.

I don't have time to go into depth atm, but congrats to all three of you for actually completing this project! Micool, this is my favourite work of yours I've seen to date. WME, I always love your coasters! Mantis, great work and I can't wait til WOMB is done.
  • thorpedo%s's Photo
    Evil WME- Probably your best park ever, and it shines like hell. Even by looking at the overhead shot and layout of the park you can tell its WME. Good atmosphere and coasters, but not enough to beat out mantis.

Mantis- Absolutely fucking incredible. My favorite area being Old Coventry closely followed by Alien Factory. Old Coventry has probably the best landscaping job I've ever seen in RCT. Beautiful waterfalls and a kickass treecombo. The whole area is breathtaking, and the beemer isn't bad either. ;) Alien Factory was exactly what I expect from mantis. Crazy, yet wellthought out and planned. Nice hacks, good coaster.

MiCool- Again, some of the weirdest shit I've ever seen..the entrance area is very cool with all the stacking..but there's not enough to capture my interest. Sorry.

mantis wins for me.

Oh, and WME..I like the barrell fence thingy at the entrance, nice touch. ;)
  • mantis%s's Photo

Mantis !
    I'm very disappointed in you, doing a mongolian area and not coming to me, ( my pet idea for an area for a while, but regardless, I'd love to see someone as talkented as mantis do Mongolia, and do it CORRECTLY!)

Lost in Darkest Peru? nothing to do with mongolia, the mongols were never in peru, or had ever even heard of peru.8@

Yeti?Mountains?What!? Ancient Mongolia was on the steppes of the Gobi Desert, flat cold frigid PLAINS. They interacted with mountains once they invaded Tibet and China, but their homeland was the steppes, flat and barren as far as the eye can see, with small foothills in rows poking up through the middle in places. 8@

If there was no mention of Genghis, Kublai or Ogodai Khan, or Subotai, then major "lack of historical accuracy" points docked. They were the single most influencial figures in all of Mongolia, especially Genghis

It was well made, by all means, but historically inaccurate, which freaks me out as you know.

especially on my favorite ancient civilization, the undefeatable mongol horde

;)  ;)  ;)

But it's not Ancient Mongolia! It's the Mongolia I made up in my head! And anyway, the ride is called 'Lost in Darkest Peru' for a reason...apart from being a Paddington reference, that is.

Ed - Mongolia is my least favourite area. I hate it.

I'm surprised people like Old Coventry. It's the area I made first (ie, yonks ago) and it's so repetitive it's not funny. Karnak is my personal favourite - I think it's the best thing i've done.

Thankyou for the kind words. Go WME and Micool for entering and making fucking amazing parks.

CT should be the winner here.
  • thorpedo%s's Photo

Karnak is my personal favourite - I think it's the best thing i've done.

CT should be the winner here.

Remember what Posix said about large, blank walls. That was Karnak in a nutshell. Yeah.

And no, you win still. But WME was close behind.
  • sloB%s's Photo
    As most of you know, I do not have LL right now; mine is broken.

I'm serious though, mantis' entry alone has persuaded me to buy LL just to see that Floorless up close. It looks amazing bud.

Can't wait to look at the other ones too!
  • natelox%s's Photo
    Wow, a lot of you loved these parks...Prepare yourselves. Sorry for the harshness, but this is what I thought.

Dragon Realm: My first view at a 'serious' park by Micool, and I'm still asking why is everyone saying he'll be the next parkmaker. Poor architecture, poor colours, poor use of flowers and trees and over hacking. And that's just the entrance area. The rest of the park was actually better, but all had elements of the entrance area. The best work by Micool (IMO), and I still don't see what everyone sees in him.

Candlelight Times: This is pure WME, which, although entertaining, is sub 'great'. The use of colours throughout the park is too much, there is no definitive style to the park. The landscaping and use of trees were very good in some areas, and not so good in others. Overall, okay, needed more thought into what went where and the different themed areas with an overall style in mind. Good, could have been better, yet gets to recieve my vote.

Age Of Empires: Finally I get to see something that Mantis made. Finally I can judge him fairly! As a parkmaker, definetly average, nothing stood out. His lack of creativity was unbelievable! Everything was taken from somewhere else. The entrance was a composite of every IOA recreation ever made (includind IOAH), Mongolian Wilderness was a near carbon copy of x-Sectors Jurrasic Hotel, Karnak resembled RRP's Kilminjaro and IOAH's lost coninent too much. Alien Factory was a carbon copy of Blitz. Aegean Isle was watered down X-sector with a little RRP and OLD COVENTRY was an attempt at a fatha/coaster Ed mix. Even the layout of the park was the already-been-copied-too-much-lake-in-the-middle. Call it harsh, but I couldn't see any "mantis" I just saw some watered down attempts at other's sucess. I guess I don't see what everyone else see's in Mantis. And I cannot agree with him being the parkmaker of the year. Fatha' or CoasterEd are the front runners IMO.

Overall, the parks were not made to the heighest of standards. None of them managed to make my top 20 list, not that they wanted to, but it just shows you what I thought of them.
  • thorpedo%s's Photo
    Jeez, you've been really harsh lately.

So what DO you like?
  • natelox%s's Photo
    ^ I've noticed. Perhaps I'm not happy, I don't know. I guess I could have worded those to sound more friendly. About what do I like, I was planning on posting my top 20 list sometime before christmas, then you'll see what I like. Really though, as long as the parkmaker is happy with their work, that's all that really matters. Why bother to try please me?
  • Micool%s's Photo

Why bother to try please me?

I've given up ;)X
  • Critic%s's Photo
    Out of the screen(s) I saw, I'd have to say I like WME's the best. (Damn my losing the LL disc.)

Plus, I'm a sheer WME fan.
  • thorpedo%s's Photo
    I like you. You're a nice guy, and I'm looking forward to your top 20 list.

But I do have suspiscions that you're turning into Posix. Maybe not as slowly as we thought..
  • natelox%s's Photo
    lol. Anything but that! No, I seriously need to change some aspects of my attitude. I know...

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading