Music Forum / Iris' Top Albums of 2K3

• iris%s's Photo
    If you don't like rap, save it. I know not most of you do, but Im a huge fan...it's my favorite thing to follow, more then NE or any of that. I put a lot of hard work into this, lots of information, lots of writing, lots of research just so I could compile this list of the 49 best releases of the year, plus some r&b shoutouts at the end. I know this will get like 5 responses, but I wanted to post it for the guys like Outlaw, Fatha', Natelox, and Mysjivius that will appreciate it (hopefully). The top 25 albums get descriptions behind them as well.

All albums have the label that put the album out, how many songs on the album, who produced the album, who guest appeared on each album, the album's singles, the best songs on the album, my personal opinion the best song, and then the ratings for each album.

Enjoy.

1.Jay Z - The Black Album
    -RocAFella Records
    -14 Tracks
    -Production By: Just Blaze, Kanye West, The Neptunes, Timbaland, Rick Rubin, 9th Wonder, The Buchanans, Aqua, DJ Quik, and Eminem
    -Guest Appearances By: Gloria Carter and Pharell Williams
    -Singles: "Change Clothes and Go", "Dirt Off Your Shoulder", "Encore", "99 Problems"
    -Standout Tracks: "December 4", "The Threat", "Moment of Clarity", "99 Problems", and "My 1st Song"
    -Best Song: "My 1st Song" produced by Aqua
    -Lyrics: 9
    -Production: 9.5
    -Individual Song Scores: 9
    -The Black Album Rating: 9/10
    With the news that "The Black Album" would be Sean Carter's farewell tour in the rap world, the album quickly became one of the most anticipated disks of all time. Originally the concept was that of a true 'black album', no radio airplay, no music videos...just straight hip hop in its purest form. "12 tracks...12 producers" was the tagline associated with the Black Album...but all these seemingly perfect ideas evaporated as the release date drew nearer. The black album concept was broken when The Neptunes' produced "Change Clothes and Go" was released as the opening single, a song that drew comparisons to the duet's "Excuse Me Miss" songs, adding a pop element to what was supposed to be a hardcore hip hop classic. The 12 tracks/producer idea died when the online community was informed that beats by DJ Premier and Dr. Dre were not going to be making appearances on the album as expected, but Kanye West, Just Blaze, and The Neptunes would each produce two tracks. Still..with lingering disappointment and all the pressure on his shoulders, Jay delivered a knockout. Inevitably hated on by some...Jay's Black Album gives Mr. Carter the perfect opportunity to leave the game on top..."the best rapper alive", as he proclaims during Timabaland's club-banger "Dirt Off Your Shoulder". Featuring some of the most moving tracks he's ever created, including the autobiographical "December 04" produced by Just Blaze, 9th Wonder's mainstream debut "The Threat", which featured a sped up sample from R.Kelly's 'A Woman's Threat', the return of Rick Rubin to hip hop with the rock and rap classic "99 Problems", and ending the album ironically, one of Jay's greatest songs, aptly titled "My 1st Song".

2.Little Brother - The Listening
    -Abb Soul Records
    -18 Tracks
    -Production By: 9th Wonder
    -No Guest Appearances
    -No Singles
    -Standout Tracks: "For You", "Speed", "The Listening"
    -Best Song: "The Listening" produced by 9th Wonder
    -Production: 9
    -Individual Song Scores: 8.5
    -The Listening Rating: 8.5/10 (18th on Overall List)
    With all the talk of big name releases coming out in 2003, including blockbuster albums from Jay-Z, G-Unit, OutKast, and 50 Cent, there were some (like always) high quality underground albums released at the same time. Already an established force through their home state of North Carolina, the lyrical duo of Phonte and Big Pooh and the production of the most promising producer in rap right now, 9th Wonder brings together the group Little Brother. Often overlooked by people who are just more concerned with crunk beats or hip-pop, Little Brother represents that real hip hop shit that people have been waiting for since the days of Common Sense and Blackstar. The great lyrics of the duo matched with the superb, laid back beats of 9th Wonder come together beautifully, bringing chemistry to the album...an element lacking from so many of today's bigger and more publicized albums. Since the release of this album, 9th Wonder has finally gotten his chance to shine on a bigger level, producing one of the tracks for Jay-Z's final album ("The Threat"), and in many people's minds stealing the show. Hopefully now people will take a chance on this Cakalak-crew, and take the time to appreciate what real hip hop is. No gimmicks, just straight rhymes and beats straight from the heart.

3.Immortal Technique - Revolutionary Volume 2
    -Viper Records
    -18 Tracks
    -Production By: Southpaw, Metaphysics, Danja, Domingo, and Roc Raida
    -Guest Appearances By: Jean Grae, Mumia J, Akir, C-Rayz Wallz, Diabolic, Loucipher, Poisen Pen, Pumpkinhead, and Tonedeff
    -No Singles
    -Standout Tracks: "The Point of No Return", "Crossing the Boundary", "Industrial Revolution", "Freedom of Speech", "You Never Know" and "One Remix"
    -Best Song: "One Remix" featuring Akir
    -Production: 7.5
    -Individual Song Score: 9
    -Revolutionary Volume 2 Rating: 8.5/10
    It's not very often that a lyracist of the caliber of Immortal Technique comes along, so when he does you better open up your ears, close your mouth, and pay attention. Another underground classic album, sharing Technique's unique political views in a clever, intense, in your face fashion that is guarenteed to leave listeners' jaws on the floor, just waiting to follow in Technique's rebellion. Never before have I heard a rapper attack certain political issues with the passion of Technique. He matches all the key elements of lyricism...intricate storytelling capabilites as proven on "You Never Know", informative raps (in his case, usually conspiracy theories) as seen in songs like "Industrial Revolution", "The 4th Branch", and "The Cause of Death", clever wordplay, and a never-ending subject matter. From start to finish you will be sucked into the views and merits of the Immortal one, as you'll find yourself questioning certain motives of your own government, glancing with a cynical eye at some of the freedoms taken for granted, all while bobbing your head to the lyrics and flow of Technique. It's been a long time since a rapper as skilled as Immortal Technique has come along, a newcomer that everyone can agree on's undeniable talent...someone who looks to be carrying the torch on for hip hop in the future. Where he plans on taking it is a whole different story.

4.OutKast - Speakerboxxx/The Love Below
    -LaFace Records
    -Two Disks/39 Tracks Total
    -Production By: Andre 3000, Big Boi, Lil Jon, and Jazze Pha
    -Guest Appearances By: Sleepy Brown, Jazze Pha, Killer Mike, Konkrete, Big Gipp, Ludacris, Jay-Z, Khujo, Goodie Mob, Cee Lo, Slimm Calhoun, Lil Jon, Rosario Dawson, Kelis, and Norah Jones
    -Singles: "The Way You Move", "Hey Ya!", "Bowtie", and "Prototype"
    -Standout Tracks: "Flip Flop Rock", "A Life in the Day of Benjamin Andre", "Happy Valentine's Day"
    -Best Song: "A Life in the Day of Benjamin Andre" produced by Andre 3000
    -Lyrics: 8.5
    -Production: 8.5
    -Individual Song Score: 8
    -Speakerboxxx/The Love Below Rating: 8.5/10 (31st on Overall List)
    The most succesful and critically acclaimed rap group of modern times decided to break apart from their undefeated formula of tag-team raps from slick-talking Big Boi and unconventional, witty Andre 3000 to each bring forth their own solo albums, packaged together. The idea itself was already different enough for listeners, but after hearing Andre 3000's disc, absent of hip hop (for the most part), but containing more r&b, rock and roll, and even alternative-type singing, mixed with blues, people were sent through a complete head trip. Big Boi's disc was what you'd expect from an Outkast release, a step out of the ordinary, but obvious high quality with thumping beats and fast talking brilliance. Songs like "Flip Flop Rock" featuring Jay-Z and Killer Mike, "The Way You Move" featuring Sleepy Brown, and "Unhappy" are perfect examples of songs you'd expect to find on a prior Kast release, carrying on the legacy of the ATLien duo. Dre 3000's disc is far more complex though, as people probably learned the second they heard the opening single "Hey Ya!", a 70's flashback that seemed corny and disasterous at first, but eventually grew on the entire nation, turning into one of the biggest hit singles of the year. The same could be said for the rest of "The Love Below", at first listen you might think it's the whackest disc you've ever heard in your life, but the more life experiences you encounter, the more you'll appreciate Dre's step away from rap.

5.Louis Logic - Sin A Matic
    -Solid Records
    -17 Tracks
    -Production By: JJ Brown, Celph Titled, Memo of the Molemen, and Avid Record Collector
    -Guest Appearances By: Celph Titled and Apathy
    -No Singles
    -Standout Tracks: "The Ugly Truth", "Idiot Gear", and "Best Friends"
    -Best Song: "The Ugly Truth" produced by Avid Record Collector
    -Production: 8
    -Sin A Matic Rating: 8.5/10 (29th on Overall List)
    Definitely a great year for underground rap, as The Demigodz crew has been a long standing underground establishment for a few years now. Known mostly for rappers like Apathy, Celph Titled, or Rise, their most vicious and aggressive emcee, Louis Logic, stepped up to deliver a near-classic CD on his first try. With a rap style that is not for everyone, lyrics that may rub people the wrong way, and concepts that are so alien to listeners that it may turn people off, Logic does what he does best, and doesn't care if you're ready for it. "The Ugly Truth" is one of the most groundbreaking rap songs I've heard in recent years, as he attacks every ethnicity he can think of, blacks, jews, chinese people, middle eastern, and gays...all before explaining why cleverly at the end of the song. He has a friendship-turned-homicide pair of songs, first with Apathy and then Celph Titled, as he tells a continuing story of how his best friend stole his girl...and will pay for it. When he's not breaking out new concepts in rap, he's spitting some perverse 'what did he just say' type shit or just bringing his battle rap skills to the forefront, letting his wit and lyricism take control. Either way, his album is a great listen from start to finish, and definitely has me looking for more from the Demigodz...Logic in particular.

6.Bubba Sparxxx - Deliverance
    -Beat Club
    -15 Tracks
    -Production By: Timbaland and Organized Noize
    -Guest Appearances By: Timbaland, Attitude, Justin Timberlake, Duddy Ken, Kiley Dean, and Sleepy Brown
    -Singles: "Deliverance" and "Back in the Mud"
    -Standout Tracks: "Deliverance", "Nowhere", and "Warrant"
    -Best Song: "Nowhere" featuring Kiley Dean and produced by Timbaland
    -Lyrics: 8
    -Individual Song Score: 8.5
    -Deliverance Rating: 8.5/10 (30th on Overall List)
    Bubba Sparxxx unfairly had a label planted on him the second the song "Ugly" was released from his debut LP "Bright Days, Dark Nights". A no talent rapper that was just backpacking on Timbaland's production was the generalization, and yours truly was a firm believer. It wasn't until his sophmore breakthrough "Deliverance" that Bubba K showed the world just what he's about. Staying true to his Georgia roots, not changing for rap at all, but instead bringing rap down south. Not in the crunk, 'dirty south' way that Lil Jon & YingYang fans are accustomed to, but more of the country roads, the fields, the farmlands, and the woods of down south...the down south that most rappers tend to leave out. Bubba embraces this and with the incredible production of Timbaland leading the way, the two bring forth a completely new sound to the hip hop community. Standout tracks including the lead single "Deliverance", the absolutely incredible "Nowhere", and "Warrant" are all prime examples of what Deliverance is all about. Not pop in any sense of the word, not conforming to any standards, Deliverance is true to the heart. Not only the heart of Bubba Sparxxx, but the heart of the New South as well.

7.Obie Trice - Cheers
    -Shady/Aftermath
    -17 Tracks
    -Production By: Eminem, Dr. Dre, E-Mile, Fredwreck, Denaun Porter, and Timbaland
    -Guest Appearances By: Eminem, Nate Dogg, Dr. Dre, 50 Cent, Lloyd Banks, and Kon Artist
    -Singles: "Got Some Teeth" and "The Set Up"
    -Standout Tracks: "Average Man", "Don't Come Down", and "Oh!"
    -Best Song: "Don't Come Down" produced by Eminem and E-Mile
    -Cheers Rating: 8.5/10
    If there was ever a hit or miss album of the year, I'd have to say Obie Trice claims it. The Detroit protege of living legend Eminem, who came from the streets of Motor City, earned himself a reputation and gained a following, only to be signed by Mr. Mathers and then released publically to the rest of the world under Em's own label. Obie Trice, real name no gimmicks, is known for his unique style of rapping, using various schemes of rhyme patterns that are unconventional in every sense of the word. He's also known for his drinking ways...and his debut album's name "Cheers" is possibly the most fitting of the year. While Obie definitely proves himself a worthy rapper on just about every track, Eminem somehow manages to really steal the show on this album in my opinion. Not only with his lyrics on songs like "Hey Lady", "We All Die Someday", and "Outro", but moreso on the production side of things where he shows more diversity then ever before. Co-producing the Kanye West-esque track "Don't Come Down", producing the lead single "Got Some Teeth", hard hitting tracks like "Average Man" and "Cheers", and the addicting "Hands on You". Of course Dr. Dre makes some appearances behind the boards, as does Timbaland, which already tells you that the album's beats are more then up to par. Whether or not Obie can carry on the rest of the album is up for you to decide.

8.50 Cent - Get Rich or Die Trying
    -Shady/Aftermath
    -19 Tracks
    -Production By: Dr. Dre, Eminem, Denaun Porter, Rockwilder, Rob Tewlow, and Six Figga
    -Guest Appearances By: Eminem, Young Buck, Tony Yayo, Lloyd Banks, and Nate Dogg
    -Singles: "In Da Club", "21 Questions", "P.I.M.P", "Many Men (Wish Death)"
    -Standout Tracks: "Many Men (Wish Death)", "Heat", "If I Can't", "Don't Push Me", and "Patiently Waiting"
    -Best Song: "Don't Push Me" featuring Lloyd Banks and Eminem and produced by Eminem
    -Lyrics: 7
    -Individual Song Scores: 8
    -Get Rich or Die Trying Rating: 8/10
    Every so often a new trend comes along that takes the entire nation, carries it on its back, and runs with it for a year or two at a time. There was a time when pure hip hop was the 'in trend', and rappers like Mos Def and Common became the leaders of hip hop. Eminem captured the nation with his controversial, slapstick brand of hip hop. Still, the most well known rap-trend of all time has got to be gangster rap. Really starting with NWA, moving onto Tupac, and now rekindled by 50 Cent, gangster rap has resulted in more records sold then any other brand of hip hop. 50 Cent brings that 'realness' to the game, proving he's as tough as his rhymes after surviving being shot 9 times, and promising to stay true to the type of rap that brought him where he is today. "Get Rich or Die Trying" was the most purchased rap CD of the entire year when it was all said and done, 50 Cent-mania has taken over full swing, and you can't even turn on a radio without hearing one of his songs playing on some radio station. It all started with "Wanksta", the grimey anthem that called out all fake gangstas and placed them center stage. Then "In Da Club", possibly the biggest rap hit of the past couple years, followed by love balled "21 Questions" and the pimp anthem "P.I.M.P". With production from Dr. Dre and Eminem all the way through his album, Get Rich or Die Trying was easily one of the best produced albums of the entire year, and in my opinion why it was so succesful.

9.TI - Trap Muzik
    -Atlantic Records
    -16 Tracks
    -Production By: DJ Toomp, Kanye West, San' Holmes, David Banner, and Jazze Pha
    -Guest Appearances By: Mac Boney, Eightball & MJG, and UGK
    -Singles: "24's", "Be Easy", "Rubber Band Man"
    -Standout Tracks: "Be Easy", "Doin My Job", "Let Me Tell You Something", and "Let's Get Away"
    -Best Song: "Let Me Tell You Something"
    -Trap Muzik Rating: 8/10
    I think it was undeniable that of all the hip hop genres there are, in 2003 it was down south that really took the helm as far as creative records goes. Standing in the middle of all this is the self-proclaimed prince of the south, the new king of ATL, T.I.. Coming off his very underrated debut album "I'm Serious", his sophmore effort Trap Muzik has gotten a much better response commercially, but the up and comers skills have remained constant. TI has a certain swagger or charisma to him when he raps, that takes the forefront of every song, and makes you want to listen to what he has to say. He's definitely got the club banger recipe down pat after releasing lead single "24's" that got everybody bumping, and the David Banner produced "Rubber Band Man" is doing the same thing even now. TI shows his versatility though, with songs dedicated to the ladies like "Let's Get Away" produced by Jazze Pha or the Roger Troutman sampling "Let Me Tell You Something", and finally heartfelt chilling songs like "I Still Love You" and "Doin' My Job" produced by Kanye. A very solid quality album that features hardly any guest appearances (other then "Bezzle" which features both UGK and Eightball & MJG) and strong production all the way through.

10.Nappy Roots - Wooden Leather
    -Atlantic Records
    -18 Tracks
    -Production By: Freddie Mac, David Banner, Kanye West, Mike City, Raphael Saadiq, Lil Jon
    -Guest Appearances By: Raphael Saadiq, Anthony Hamilton, and YingYang Twins
    -Singles: "Round the World", "Sick and Tired"
    -Standout Tracks: "Nappy Roots Day", "These Walls", "Sick and Tired"
    -Best Song: "Nappy Roots Day" produced by David Banner
    -Wooden Leather Rating: 8/10
    Yet another quality country serving...this time it's not coming from the state of Georgia, but rather the midwest, the Wildcat state of Kentucky. No pun intended, but these Nappy boys are proud of their roots, reppin the K-state all the time, and never changing up their country style. Coming off the success of their debut LP "Watermelon, Chicken, and Gritz" which featured two huge smash singles in "Aw Naw" and "Po' Folks", this album is even better quality, with some of the deepest tracks of the year mixed with country bangers, and everything in between. The album is very solid, but features a few real stand-out tracks. First and foremost is David Banner's incredibly produced "Nappy Roots Day" (a real holiday back in Kentucky now, a day where Six Flags is free for the day), definitely one of the best beats of the entire year in my opinion. Then there's 'the producer' right now, Kanye West as he lends himself to the incredibly deep "These Walls". Anthony Hamilton, one of my personal favorite R&B singers makes two appearances on this album, including the chorus on the album's second single "Sick and Tired", another highlight song. A criminally underrated album this year, the Roots never really got the commercial success they were used to with their first album, but really pulled through with a great LP.

11.Freeway - Philadelphia Freeway
    -RocAFella Records
    -16 Tracks
    -Production By: Just Blaze, Kanye West, E-Bass, Ruggedness, Black Key, and Bink
    -Guest Appearances By: Jay-Z, Beanie Sigel, Nate Dogg, Peedi Crakk, Nelly, Snoop Dogg, Faith Evans, Young Gunz, Allen Anthony, Mariah Carey
    -Singles: "What We Do...", "Flipside"
    -Standout Tracks: "What We Do...", "Free", "Line Em Up"
    -Best Song: "What We Do..." featuring Beanie Sigel and Jay-Z and produced by Just Blaze
    -Philadelphia Freeway Rating: 8/10
    First and foremost, realize that Freeway's rapping style definitely isn't for everybody. Using a type of rhyming pattern that I've never heard before...his grimey, rough-toned high pitched voice is one of the most distinctive in all of rap, and his lyrics hit close to home. Not to mention that Free is a member of the Roc, the most established label running right now, so you know the production on this album is gonna be tight. In fact, producing legend Just Blaze created 10 of the 16 tracks on the album, so that alone just proves the quality of beats. Adding onto that Kanye West creating two beats and you're set for a great album (beats wise). Lyrically, Free doesn't disappoint either, assuming you're open to his style of rap. A Philly born native, he (along with fellow Roc soldier Beanie Sigel and Ruff Ryder's Cassidy) are leading the new wave Philly rappers to the forefront of hip hop, and Philadelphia Freeway is the perfect springboard. Tracks like "What We Do..." and "Free" are great examples of Just Blaze's beats mixed with Freeway's rhymes...a winning formula.

12.Joe Budden - Joe Budden
    -Def Jam
    -17 Tracks
    -Production By: Whiteboy, Lofey, Just Blaze, and Duro
    -Guest Appearances By: Busta Rhymes, 112, and Lil' Mo
    -Singles: "Pump It Up", "Fire", "She Wanna Know"
    -Standout Tracks: "10 Minutes", "Walk With Me", and "Calm Down"
    -Best Song: "Walk With Me" produced by White Boy
    -Joe Budden Rating: 8/10
    Of all the newcomer rappers to make their debut in 2003 (Immortal Technique, Obie Trice, Freeway, Juelz Santana, etc.), it was Def Jam's new rising star Joe Budden that had the most hype. A proven true lyracist with creative rhymes, great punchlines, and all the other tools needed to be a great rapper nowadays, Budden seemed destined for platinum success, especially after the explosion of his lead single "Pump it Up", a Just Blaze produced by club banger that quickly became one of the biggest songs of 2003. Only problem was, there really was never a strong second single to propel the album to that next level, and Budden's album quickly was dubbed a flop. Still, hated on unfairly, Budden proves his talent through the entire album. While a few cuts definitely miss their mark, such as the unneccessary and boring "Porno Star" and the annoying "Real Life n' Rap", most the album is very solid. The production is good, not great, as the unheard of Whiteboy produces the majority of the disc, while Just Blaze pops in for occasional appearances, as does Lofey. Many people were disappointed in the number of commercial songs found on the album, songs like "She Wanna Know" with Lil Mo, "Ma Ma Ma" with 112, or the club banger "U Ain't Gotta Go Home", yet still many people gave props to Buddens for his more serious songs, as he came through with some of the overall better songs of the entire year in my opinion...songs like "Walk With Me", "Calm Down", and "10 Minutes". While Budden provided a very solid album, he's done better on mixtapes and guest appearances then his performance on his debut. Whether or not he was trying to appeal to too many different crowds may be the case, but hopefully Budden continues to improve with his next album, The Growth.

13.Canibus - Rip The Jacker
    -Babygrande
    -11 Tracks
    -Production By: Stoupe the Enemy of Mankind
    -No Guest Appearances
    -Singles: "Spartibus"
    -Standout Tracks: "Genabis", "Showtime at the Gallow", and "Poet Laureate II"
    -Best Song: "Poet Laureate II" produced by Stoupe The Enemy of Mankind
    -Rip The Jacker Rating: 8/10
    If there ever was a rapper that epitomised 'underground', it would be the vicious lyricist Canibus. A rapper that became established through a battle with one of the long standing legends in rap, LL Cool J, who many people feel got absolutely abused by Bis, with the diss track "Second Round Knockout" featuring Mike Tyson. His reputation as a battle rapper from that point on was untouchable, and remains so until this day, but his overall song writing abilities may be a different story. His lyrics are always on point, and if you're ready to open up your ears and listen to some knowledge, Canibus is your type of rapper. If you don't want to hear about how many "betatrons are in a cloud chamber", then you might want to check elsewhere. Still, it's undeniable that Canibus is as raw as it gets, in every sense of the word, possibly the best pure lyricist around, and while online hip hop fanatics claim him to be the second coming of Jesus, he never caught on commercially, and it seems like he'll be stuck in that 'underground legend' for his entire career.

14.GangStarr - The Ownerz
    -Virgin Records
    -19 Tracks
    -Production By: DJ Premier
    -Guest Appearances By: Krumbsnatcha, Smiley, Jadakiss, Big Suge, Freddie Foxxx, Fat Joe, Nygz, H Stax, Snoop Dogg, and Uncle Reo
    -Singles: "Skills" and "Rite Where U Stand"
    -Standout Tracks: "Rite Where U Stand", "Who Got Gunz", "Same Team, No Games", and "Peace of Mind"
    -Best Song: "Rite Where U Stand" featuring Jadakiss and produced by DJ Premier
    -The Ownerz Rating: 8/10
    The hip hop tag team of rapper Guru and beatmaking legend DJ Premier has been around since the late 80's, and in the past decade and a half they've become some of the most respected and established figures in rap. Representing classic hip hop, the way it should be made, with Premier behind the boards creating some of the most incredible, rugged, street beats ever heard, and Guru spitting with some educated rhymes, usually with a message behind them. The two have combined for some classic albums, and they returned in 2003 after a four year lay-off with "The Ownerz". While not exactly a classic album in my opinion, it was just what was needed at the time, a pure, raw hip hop album. The beats aren't Primo's best, and Guru's voice came off a little monotone this time around with his age showing in some of his songs, still a great album was created. Songs like "Rite Where U Stand" featuring Jadakiss really proved that the same ol' hip hop formula can still be worked, as Jada comes with another incredible guest appearance.

15.Memphis Bleek - M.A.D.E
    -RocAFella
    -17 Tracks
    -Production By: Just Blaze, Kanye West, Scott Storch, T.T., and E-Bass
    -Guest Appearances By: Jay-Z, T.I., Trick Daddy, Freeway, Young Chris, Proof, Beanie Sigel, Donell Jones, Latif, Nate Dogg, MOP, Rell, Lil Cease, and Geda K
    -Singles: "Everything's A Go" and "Round Here"
    -Standout Tracks: "Round Here", "Hypnotic", "Just Blaze, Bleek, and Free", "Rocafella Get Low Respect It", "We Ballin'", "I Wanna Love U", "Murda Murda"
    -Best Song: "Hypnotic" featuring Beanie Sigel and Jay-Z and produced by Just Blaze
    -M.A.D.E Rating: 8/10
    On "Rocafella Get Low Respect It", a voice proclaims that 'With Jay stepping down, it was Bleek's turn to be M.A.D.E". Obviously Dame Dash and the rest of the Roc realizes that without the label's main drawing power Jay-Z, the other Rocafellas were going to need to pick up the slack. All the weight of the Roc falls down on five or so rappers....Kanye West, the new sensation that seems destined for great things, Cam'Ron who is probably the label's biggest drawer now that Jay's gone, the Young Gunners who proved they can appeal commercially with their single "Can't Stop, Won't Stop", the incredibly talented Beanie Sigel, but first in line is Jay's right hand man, Memphis Bleek who comes with his strongest album of his career "MADE". Obviously, since he's on the Roc the production is sick. Just like Freeway's album, Just Blaze takes most of the responsibility on the beats, with songs like the lead single "Everything's A Go", the album's second single "Round Here", "Just Blaze, Bleek, and Free", "War", "ROC", "Hypnotic", and more. Kanye West provides one beat in "I Wanna Love U" featuring Donell Jones. Memph's lyrics have stepped up a bit from his past albums, still nothing legendary, but not bad enough to hurt the album either really. The beats do carry the album for the most part, until Jay-Z, Beanie Sigel, T.I., etc. come and pick up the slack. While I never see Memph Bleek as the leader of the Roc, he'll always be a solid right hand man to somebody...they just need to find that new person to carry the torch.

16.Royce Da 5'9 - Build and Destroy
    -Self Released
    -2 Disks/36 Tracks Total
    -Production By: Alchemist, Eminem, DJ Revolution, Duro, Just Blaze, Kanye West, Carlos Broady, and DJ Ody Rock
    -Guest Appearances By: Tre Little, Pretty Ugly, Eminem, Checkmate Concise, Hush, Method Man, Pharell Williams, D-Elite, and DJ Ody Rock
    -No Singles
    -Standout Tracks: "Scary Movies (Da Sequel)", "Boom (RJD2 Blend)", "Let's Grow", "Malcolm X", "Heartbeat", and "Renagade (Original Version)"
    -Best Song: "Renagade (Original Version) featuring and produced by Eminem
    -Build & Destroy Rating: 8/10
    Royce is undeniably one of the most underrated rappers I've ever come across. Commercially he's never really amounted to anything, but he possess a variety of skills that make up his unique style. A great lyracist with some witty as hell punchlines, and after rapping alongside fellow Detroit native Eminem, some of Em's quirky rhyme styles have rubbed off. Trying to secure himself stability on a record label, he decided to put it on himself to release a double album of his most impressive material, aptly titled "Build and Destroy". The first disc (Build) is a collection of great lyrics and solid songs that are found on misc. mixtapes and even some from his "Rock City" album, along with freestyles from various radio shows. Then there's the 'Destroy' disc, which features several disses towards former best friend Eminem, and Em's crew D12 (most specifically Bizarre, but all catch shots). There's also a nice collection of unreleased songs on there, including the Kanye West produced "Heartbeat", a very unique and incredible song....but there's drama behind that one too, as it seems Royce never paid West for the beat. Still, if Royce can ever patch up his situation with Shady/Aftermath, and possibly sign to the label he was destined to....a long standing legacy could be born.

17.G-Unit - Beg for Mercy
    -Shady/Aftermath
    -17 Tracks
    -Production By: Dr. Dre, Eminem, Red Spyda, Hi-Tek, Scott Storch, Thayod Ausar, DJ Twinz, Denaun Porter, No I.D., Dirty Swift and Bruce Wayne, Fusion Unlimited, Nottz, Megahertz, 7th Emp, Black Jeruz, Sha Money XL, Khalil, and Needlez
    -Guest Appearance By: Joe
    -Singles: "Stunt 101", "Poppin Them Thangs", "Want To Get To Know You"
    -Standout Tracks: "Lay You Down", "Smile", "G'd Up", "Eye for an Eye"
    -Best Song: "Lay You Down" produced Khalil
    -Lyrics: 7.5
    -Beg For Mercy Rating: 8/10
    This year 50 Cent definitely had the entire scene on lock. And just like every other popular rapper nowadays, he comes fully equipped with his crew. Eminem brought D12 along for the ride, Nelly has the St. Lunatics, Nas brought out the Bravehearts, and Cam brought out his 'no homo pink crew' The Diplomats. The biggest difference here though is that the rest of the rappers that make up G-Unit are some serious rappers. All of which in my opinion are nicer then 50 himself. Starting out with jailbird Tony Yayo, the "talk of New York", a witty lyracist that had been in prison through the entire recording of Beg for Mercy, and only appeared on one track, "Groupie Love", one of the album's worst ironically. Then there's Young Buck, a former Cash Money rep. outta Tennessee who brings that southern flavor to the group, but also has a certain swagger to him that makes him interesting to listen to. Then there's the Boy Wonder, Lloyd Banks, the wittiest punchline rapper around at the moment, who always comes correct and usually steals the show on any track he's on. However, with all this talent...Beg For Mercy ended up a huge disappointment in most people's minds. Trying to replicate the formula of 50's success on Get Rich or Die Trying, there were too many commercialized tracks, and the lyrics seemed to be dumbed down for the general public. There are still some sick tracks on the album though, like "Lay You Down", the Lloyd Banks solo "Smile", "G'd Up", and "Salute U". Just like Roc-A-Fella, all Shady/Aftermath releases usually have some strong production, and Beg For Mercy brings out a huge aresenal of talented producers, including of course Eminem and Dre, but also Reflection Eternal's Hi-Tek, the upcomer Red Spyda, legendary Scott Storch, D12's Denaun Porter, Common's old producer No I.D., G-Unit's own Sha Money XL, and several other talented producers including Thayod Ausur, 7th Emp, Black Jeruz, and Khalil.

18.Raekwon - The Lex Diamond Story
    -Universal Records
    -20 Tracks
    -Production By: Mizza, Crummie Beats, Mercury, Andy C, Zephlon, and Smith Brothers
    -Guest Appearances By: Havoc, Ghostface, Fat Joe, Ice Water Inc., Masta Killa, Inspectah Deck, Method Man, Cappadonna, Tiffany Villareale, Capone, Sheek Louch, Ultra, and Tekitha
    -No Singles
    -Standout Tracks: "All Over Again", "Pitbull Fights", and "Ice Cream Part 2"
    -Best Song: "Ice Cream Part 2" featuring Method Man and Cappadonna
    -Individual Song Score: 7.5
    -The Lex Diamond Story Rating: 8/10
    One of the most respected rappers of the past decade, one that always seems to get overlooked when discussing the great rappers of the modern age is the Chef himself, Raekwon. A very talented rapper, one of the grimiest lyracists you'll hear today, that always comes solid really never disappoints to the point where he'll lose fans. He sticks to the same formula that made him famous in the first place, but to some his formula is getting a bit tired. No doubt the guy's got some serious skills, and that he's a great songwriter, but I feel that sometimes his songs start to sound repetitive and at times boring, kinda killing all repeat value that he has. The lyrics are on point, not to the point where you'll stand up out of your seat, but pretty damn good. The same could be said for the production as well, nothing too incredible but still enjoyable, as Raekwon went to a variety of unknowns for the production of this album. The bangers are still there though, like the sampling "All Over Again" and the sequel to his smash hit "Ice Cream Part 2" as Method Man and Cappadonna stop by for guest appearances. The grimey, rugged songs are still there, and "Pitbull Fights" is a prime example. If you're a Raekwon fan, you won't be disappointed, but I don't really see him attracting any new people with The Lex Diamond Story.

19.Jedi Mind Tricks - Visions of Ghandi
    -Babygrande
    -17 Tracks
    -Production By: Stoupe the Enemy of Mankind
    -Guest Appearances By: Canibus, Crypt, Kool G. Rap, Planetary, Ill Bill, Sabac Red, The Rhyme Inspector, Ras Kass, Gorotex, Tragedy Khadafi, and Rocky Raez
    -Singles: "Animal Rap"
    -Standout Tracks: "Animal Rap", "Tibetian Black Magicians", "Rise of the Machines", and "Kublai Kahn"
    -Best Song: "Animal Rap"
    -Visions of Ghandi Rating: 8/10
    Jedi Mind Tricks are definitely a strange group of people. Led by lead vocalist Vinnie Paz, a pretty solid lyracist that's another of those controversial emcees. The production is handeled by Stoupe the Enemy of Mankind, the same guy who produced the entire Canibus "Rip The Jacker" album. I'm not the biggest Vinnie Paz fan there is though, but I appreciate his skills as a rapper, but I'll admit I was pretty happy when I saw there were guest appearances by some of the more talented and respected rappers in the business...Canibus, Kool G. Rap, Ras Kass, and Tragedy Khadafi. The production is also much tighter then expected, stronger then Rip the Jacker in my opinion, as I see Stoupe being a very popular underground producer for quite a while. While "Visions of Ghandi" won't be blowing anybody's socks off really, it's a pretty solid album worth a few listens. You'll have to be a fan of this type of music though, appreciative of rappers like Canibus to really enjoy Vinnie Paz and the rest of his controversial crew.

20.DMX - Grand Champ
    -Bloodline/Ruff Ryders
    -23 Tracks
    -Production By: Tuneheadz, Kanye West, Swizz Beatz, Ron Browz, Rockwilder, No I.D., Dame Grease, DJ Scratch, and Joaquin Dean
    -Guest Appearances By: Chinky, Swizz Beatz, 50 Cent, Styles P. Syleena Johnson, InfraRed, Cross, Drag-On, Eve, Jadakiss, Cam'Ron, Big Stan, Monica, Magic and Val, and Patti Labelle
    -Singles: "Where The Hood At" and "Get It On The Floor"
    -Standout Tracks: "Dog's Out", "We Go Hard", "We Bout To Blow", "A'yo Kato" and "The Rain"
    -Best Song: "Dog's Out" produced by Kanye West
    -Grand Champ Rating: 8/10
    All the hype was around Jay-Z's retirement this year, and The Black Album being his farewell tour in hip hop. Not too many people realize that DMX had the same goal this year, saying goodbye to the rap game with "Grand Champ", supposedly his final album as he's going full time to acting. Why was Grand Champ so forgotten while Black Album was such a huge deal? Well, it's the same old DMX...which can be taken as either a good thing or bad thing depending on your taste. X has come with the same exact formula for a few years now, and to most people it's getting a bit stale. People were hoping for a hardcore street album similar to his debut "It's Dark and Hell Is Hot", but were given just another dose of "The Great Depression". A solid album undoubtably, but not the curtain call that the legendary DMX deserves. Not that there weren't some bangers on here though. Kanye West produced the album's standout track "Dog's Out". Cam'Ron makes a guest appearance on No I.D's "We Go Hard". Jadakiss gives a nice cameo on "We're Back". X holds it on his own pretty nicely as well on songs like the moving "A'Yo Kato", the deep "The Rain", the "Dog Intro", and the two singles "Where Your Hood At" and "Get It On The Floor". Bloodline protege Big Stan also proves his worth on this album with some show-stealing verses on the tracks "We Bout to Blow" and the bonus track "On Top".

21.Sheek Louch - Walk Witt Me
    -D Block/Ruff Ryders
    -14 Tracks
    -Production By: Alchemist, Mr. Devine, Coccoa Chanelle, Vinny Idol, Supa Mario, and Liveson
    -Guest Appearances By: Styles P., Jadakiss, and Jae Hood
    -Singles: "Mighty D-Block"
    -Standout Tracks: "Turn It Up", "I Ain't Forget", "Ten Hut", "How I Love You", and "Mighty D-Block"
    -Best Song: "Mighty D-Block" featuring Jadakiss, Jae Hood, and Styles P.
    -Walk Witt Me Rating: 7.5/10
    Sheek Louch definitely came harder then his Lox partners Jadakiss and Styles P. with the most well rounded solo album of the group, regardless of the fact that he's quite obviously the least talented of the trio. There is nothing groundbreaking on this album, but it's definitely a 'solid album'. While Jada is known for his crazy punchlines, and Styles P. hits with some hard hitting lines, Sheek has always been known as the transition man, getting the song from one great rapper to the next. Not hurting the track in anyway, but hardly ever outshining the other two. One thing Sheek has been known for though is attacking the tracks with passion, he seems to enjoy it more then the other two, and it seems like he puts more effort into it. I think the same thing can be said for "Walk Witt' Me" compared to "Kiss Tha Game Goodbye" and "Gangster & Da Gentleman". Really, the best songs on the album are the ones that feature his D-Block partners, songs like "Ten Hut" featuring Jadakiss, "Mighty D-Block" featuring all 3 (including Jae Hood), and "How I Love You" featuring Styles (although Styles only ab-libs the chorus really). While Sheek is definitely a solid rapper, he'll never be anything more...something that can't be said for his partners in crime.

22.Ludacris - Chicken and Beer
    -Disturbin Tha Peace
    -17 Tracks
    -Production By: Kanye West, Icedrake, DJ Paul and Juicy J, Medicine Men, and Erick Sermon
    -Guest Appearances By: Shawnna, Eightball & MJG, Carl Thomas, Lil Flip, Lil Fate, Snoop Dogg, Chingy, I-20, Tity Boi, and Dolla Boy
    -Singles: "Stand Up", "P-Poppin'", and "Splash Waterfalls"
    -Standout Tracks: "Southern Fried Intro", "Screwed Up", "Hoes In My Room"
    -Best Song: "Southern Fried Intro"
    -Chicken and Beer Rating: 7.5/10
    One of the biggest rap superstars of the past couple years has been yet another down south dirtybird outta ATL. Of course, I'm talkin bout Luda, who's loudmouth, funloving style has taken the nation by storm again and again with every album he releases. Making his debut with "Back for the First Time" that featured some huge smash singles like "What's Your Fantasy" and "Southern Hospitality". He followed that up with "Word of Mouf", that had even more radio smash singles, songs like "Area Codes", "Rollout (My Business)", "Saturday (Ooh Ooh)", and "Move Bitch". He comes with his third album this year, and while it doesn't reach the quality of his debut (neither did Word of Mouf), it's a pretty good album. It's enjoyable all the way through, but it's missing those standout ear-popping tracks that his former albums all had. Kanye West produced the lead single, the smash hit "Stand Up", but after that there really isn't much on the album that sounds like it'd be a strong single. There are some tight tracks on the album no doubt, starting strong with the "Southern Fried Intro", the Erick Sermon punchline fiesta "Hip Hop Quotables", the humurous pimp anthem with Snoop "Hoes in My Room", and the tongue-in-cheek fan favorite "Screwed Up" featuring Lil Flip, one of the more popular songs on the album. While some people are growing a bit tired of Luda's anunciated style, his creative punchlines and strong lyrics keep him a force to be reckoned with coming outta the ATL.

23.State Property - Chain Gang Volume II
    -RocAFella Records
    -17 Tracks
    -Production By: D.Dot, Digga, Boola, Bink, Chad Hamilton, Alchemist, Black Key, Henny Loc, and Ruggedness
    -Guest Appearances By: Jay-Z, Dirt McGirt, Twista, and Lil' Cease
    -Singles: "Can't Stop, Won't Stop" and "When You Hear That"
    -Standout Tracks: "It's On", "If I Could Do It All Again", "State Prop", "BB Gun"
    -Best Song: "State Prop (You Know Us)"
    -Chain Gang Volume II Rating: 7.5/10
    RocAfella definitely had this year on lock with all the stellar releases they put out. With Jay-Z's "Black Album", Memphis Bleek's "M.A.D.E", Freeway's "Philadelphia Freeway", Juelz Santana's "From Me To U", The Diplomats "Diplomatic Immunity", and the Philly-based group of up and coming Roc representers, State Property. A group led by Beanie Sigel and Freeway, two of Philly's most established artists, as they lead the way for more of Philly's finest. The group consists of Beanie, Freeway, The Young Gunz, Peedi Crakk, Oschino, and Sparks, all of which are some pretty talented emcess. Paired up with guest appearances from talented rappers like Jay-Z and Twista, and the production of D.Dot, Bink, Digga, Bink, and Alchemist and you have a pretty good album. The lead single was a huge hit by the Young Gunz, "Can't Stop Won't Stop", but there are some much better tracks on the album...including the tag team of Beanie & Jay on "It's On", the touching "If I Could Do It All Again", and bangers like "BB Gun" and "State Prop (You Know Us)". Peedi and Beanie are really the stars of this album in my opinion, so every song that their featured on is worth checking out.

24.Tupac Shakur - Resurrection: Soundtrack
    -Amaru/Interscope
    -14 Tracks
    -Production By: Johnny J, Eminem, DJ Pooh, and Red Spyda
    -Guest Appearances By: Eminem, The Outlawz, Biggie Smalls, Natasha Walker, Digital Underground, and 50 Cent
    -Singles: "Runnin' (Dyin to Live)"
    -Standout Tracks: "Ghost", "One Day at A Time (Em's Version)", "Starin Through My Rearview", and "Str8 Ballin"
    -Best Song: "Str8 Ballin"
    -Resurrection: Soundtrack Rating: 7.5/10
    The Don Kiluminati Theory predicted it would take 7 years for Tupac Shakur to make his return after his supposed staged death. Well, 2003 was the year that Pac was supposed to make his big return...and 2K3 came and went without any type of Resurrection. Well, I spoke too soon...there was a Tupac Resurrection in some sort...a movie created in ode to the legendary rapper, telling the story of his life. Released along with the movie was the soundtrack, which included a collection of landmark 2Pac tracks, paired with some new material put together by Eminem himself. Em adds the tracks "Ghost" produced by DJ Pooh and Em, "One Day At a Time (Em's Version)" which gives listeners a chance to hear what it would have been like had Em & Pac recorded together. There's the single "Runnin (Dyin to Live)" which is produced by Eminem and pits Pac and Biggie trading verses on a hard hitting beat. Then, at the end there's the popular mixtape track produced by Red Spyda and featuring 50 Cent "The Realest Killaz". As for the old tracks, there aren't any of his platinum smash singles, but some landmark tracks regardless...songs like "Str8 Ballin", "Starin Through My Rearview", and the song that first introduced Pac on a record..."Same Song" a Digital Underground featuring a quick but explosive Pac track from way back in the day.

25.Fabolous - More Street Dreams: The Mixtape
    -Elektra Entertainment
    -14 Tracks
    -Production By: Duro, Needlez, DJ Scratchator, Just Blaze, and Mr. Fingaz
    -Guest Appearances By: Paul Cain, Joe Budden, and Paul Cain
    -Singles: "Make U Mine"
    -Standout Tracks: "Renagades", "B.K. Style", "F You Too"
    -Best Song: "Renagades" featuring Paul Cain
    -Production: 7
    -More Street Games: The Mixtape Rating: 7.5/10
    F-A-B....the letters that have been muttered by the extremely talented Fabolous in every song he ever records really. Known as an incredible punchline mixtape rapper, that comes off way too pop-ish in his retail albums. So, trying to find the answer, he released a 'commercial mixtape', a more street oriented mixtape that was definitely a step in the right direction, but still not the best Fab is capable of. Fab does show some glimpses of his best though, on songs like the Renagade remake with his brother Paul Cain, as they both spit some heat on the Eminem beat. Then there's "F You Too", where the same duo raps over a Lox beat. Fab does it on his own on most the tracks though, with songs like "BK Style", "Now What", and "Now Ride", all some heat from Fab. He does have a couple songs that disappoint on the mixtape though, which leave me wondering where all that talent goes sometimes. Listening to songs like "Fall Back" (with Lloyd Banks and Brandy), and the other track with Lloyd Banks and Busta Rhymes, where Fab comes incredibly, the main reason I'm such a huge fan of the guy. But until he stops putting out weak releases like Street Dreams, he'll stay in the same category as rappers like Jadakiss, crazy rappers with terrible albums.
  • iris%s's Photo
    26.Juelz Santana - From Me To U
    -RocAFella Records
    -20 Tracks
    -Production By: Heatmakerz, Jazze Pha, Charlemagne, Self For Self, and Chad Hamilton
    -Guest Appearances By: Freaky Zeekey, Monique Garrett, Jimmy Jones, Cam'Ron, JR Writer, and T.I..
    -Singles: "Santana's Town (Dip Set)"
    -Standout Tracks: "Down", "Monster Music", "Now What", and "Rain Drops"
    -Best Song: "Rain Drops" produced by Heatmakerz
    -Lyrics: 6.5
    -From Me To U Rating: 7.5/10

27.Juvenile - Juve The Great
    -Cash Money
    -17 Tracks
    -Production By: Mannie Fresh, Ad Future, Griz, Slice T, and Sha Money XL
    -Guest Appearances By: Baby, Mannie Fresh, Wacko, Skip, and Soulja Slim
    -Singles: "In My Life"
    -Standout Tracks: "In My Life", "Bounce Back", "Enemy Turf"
    -Best Song: "Bounce Back" produced by Mannie Fresh
    -Individual Song Score: 7
    -Juve The Great Rating: 7.5/10

28.Westside Connection - Terrorist Threats
    -Priority Records
    -14 Tracks
    -Production By: The Notorious T.R.E, Fredwreck, Neffu, and Bruce Wayne
    -Guest Appearances By: Nate Dogg, K-Mac, Skoop, Young Soprano, Butch Cassidy, and Knoc'Turnal
    -Singles: "Gangsta Nation"
    -Standout Tracks: "A Threat to the World", "Gangsta Nation", and "Call 9-1-1-"
    -Best Song: "Gangsta Nation" featuring Nate Dogg
    -Individual Song Scores: 7
    -Terrorist Threats Rating: 7.5/10

29.The Diplomats - Diplomatic Immunity
    -RocAFella Records
    -2 Disks/27 Tracks Total
    -Production By: Kanye West, Heatmakerz, Just Blaze, E-Bass, Charlemagne, and Ralph Random
    -Guest Appearances By: Un Casa, Toya, Hell Rell, DMX, Freeway, and Master P
    -Singles: "DipSet Anthem" and "Bout It Bout It Part III"
    -Standout Tracks: "DipSet Anthem", "What's Really Good", "My Love", "I'm Ready", and "Purple Haze"
    -Best Song: "Purple Haze" produced by Heatmakerz
    -Lyrics: 5
    -Individual Song Score: 6
    -Diplomatic Immunity Rating: 7/10

30.Ja Rule - Blood In My Eye
    -Murda Inc.
    -14 Tracks
    -Production By: Irv Gotti, Blackout, Ja Rule, Jimi Kendrix, Scott Storch, and Chick Santana
    -Guest Appearances By: Hussein Fatal, Cadillac Tah, James Gotti, Sizzla, Black Child, Do Cannons, Shadow, and Sekou 720
    -Singles: "The Crown" and "Clap Back"
    -Standout Tracks: "Clap Back", "The Crown", and "Race Against Time II"
    -Best Song: "Race Against Time II"
    -Individual Song Scores: 7
    -Blood In My Eye Rating: 7/10

31.David Banner - Mississippi: The Album
    -Universal Records
    -19 Tracks
    -Production By: David Banner and Lil Jon
    -Guest Appearances By: Smoke D, Lil Jon, Lil Flip, Pastor Troy, Ax, Sky, B-Flat, Marcus, J Da Groover, Mississippi Shawty, and Kamikaze
    -Singles: "Like A Pimp" and "Cadillac on 22's"
    -Standout Tracks: "Like a Pimp", "Cadillac on 22's" and "Might Getcha"
    -Best Song: "Cadillac on 22's" produced by David Banner
    -Lyrics: 6
    -Mississippi: The Album Rating: 7/10

32.Inspectah Deck - The Movement
    -Koch Records
    -16 Tracks
    -Production By: Fantom of the Beats, Ayatollah, Falling Down, and Arabian Night
    -Guest Appearances By: Street Life, Kool G. Rap, Illa Sin, and Mojehan
    -Singles: "The Movement"
    -Standout Tracks: "Get Right", "City High", and "The Movement"
    -Best Song: "Get Right"
    -The Movement Rating: 7/10

33.Loon - Loon
    -Bad Boy
    -19 Tracks
    -Production By: Yogi, Younglord, P Diddy, Trackmasters, D-Net, Shaft, Alianue Thiam, Bink, Mario Winans, 7, Scott Storch, Buckwild, The Natural Mind, and Infamous P.O.P
    -Guest Appearances By: Kelis, Trina, P Diddy, Mario Winans, Tammy, Claudette Ortiz, Missy Elliott, Joe Hooker, Aaron Hall, The Letter M, and Carl Thomas
    -Singles: "How You Want That", "Down For Me"
    -Standout Tracks: "Waiting", "Things You Do", "Don't Wanna Die"
    -Loon Rating: 7/10

34.Wyclef Jean - The Preacher's Son
    -J Records
    -17 Tracks
    -Production By: Wyclef Jean and Jerry "Wonder" Duplessis
    -Guest Appearances By: Missy Elliott, Patti Labelle, Cassidy, Redman, Carlos Santana, Monica, Wayne Wonder, Elephant Man, Carl Restivo, Sharissa, Scarface, Rah Digga, Prodigy, Buju Banton, and T-Vice
    -Singles: "Industry" and "Party to Damascus"
    -Standout Tracks: "Industry" and "Who Gave The Order"
    -Best Song: "Who Gave The Order" featuring Buju Banton
    -The Preacher's Son Rating: 7.5/10

35.The Bravehearts - Bravehearted
    -Sony Records
    -15 Tracks
    -Production By: Lil Jon, Swizz Beatz, Jungle, Dirty Swift and Bruce Wayne, Bastianny, and Neo of da Matrix
    -Guest Appearances By: Nas, Lil Jon, Nashawn, and Jully Black
    -Singles: "Quick to Back Down"
    -Standout Tracks: "Quick to Back Down", "Twilight", "Bravehearted" and "Situations"
    -Best Song: "Situations" featuring Nas and Jully Black and produced by Bastianny
    -Bravehearted Rating: 7/10

36.Youngbloodz - Drankin Patnaz
    -Laface
    -16 Tracks
    -Production By: Mark Twayne, ROB, Lil Jon, Oomp Camp, Trackboyz, and Jazze Pha
    -Guest Appearances By: Lil Jon, Killer Mike, Backbone, and Jazze Pha
    -Singles: "Cadillac Pimpin'" and "Damn"
    -Standout Tracks: "Cadillac Pimpin", "Damn", and "Mud Pit"
    -Best Song: "Damn" featuring and produced by Lil Jon
    -Lyrics: 5.5
    -Drankin Patnaz Rating: 7/10

37.Timbaland and Magoo - Under Construction II
    -Beat Club
    -16 Tracks
    -Production By: Timbaland
    -Guest Appearances By: Missy Elliott, Bubba Sparxxx, Attitude, Frank Lee White, Raje Shwari, Sebastian, Brandy, Wyclef Jean, GG, and Beenie Man
    -Singles: "Cop That Shit" and "Indian Flute"
    -Standout Tracks: "Don't Make Me Take It There", "Naughty Eye", "Naughty Eye II (Hips)"
    -Best Song: "Naughty Eye" featuring Sebastian and Raje Shwari and produced by Timbaland
    -Under Construction II Rating: 7/10

38.David Banner - MTA2: Bapitzed In Dirty Water
    -Universal Records
    -18 Tracks
    -Production By: David Banner, Craig Love, Mannie Fresh, Young Sears, Domo, and Syber Sapp
    -Guest Appearances By: Lil' Flip, Twista, Busta Rhymes, Static, T.I., Jazze Pha, Marcus, Sky, Scarface, Devin the Dude, Bun-B, Frekzanatcha, Bone Crusher, Nelly, and 8Ball
    -Singles: "Talk To Me" and "Like A Pimp Remix"
    -Standout Tracks: "Like A Pimp Remix", "Eternal", and "Pretty Pink"
    -Best Song: "Like A Pimp Remix" featuring Twista and Busta Rhymes and produced by David Banner
    -Individual Song Scores: 7.5
    -MTA2: Baptized In Dirty Water Rating: 7/10

39.The Neptunes - Neptunes Present...Clones
    -Star Trak
    -18 Tracks
    -Production By: The Neptunes
    -Guest Appearances By: Roscoe P. Coldchain, Busta Rhymes, Clipse, Ab-Liva, Ludacris, I-20, Jay-Z, Vanessa Marquez, Nelly, Boo Bonic, Snoop Dogg, Spymob, High Speed Scene, FamLay, Jadakiss, Supercat, Noreaga, Dirt McGirt, Nas, and Kelis
    -Singles: "Light Your Ass On Fire", "Frontin'", "Hot Damn" and "Rock and Roll"
    -Standout Tracks: "Blaze of Glory", "Hot", and "It Blows My Mind"
    -Best Song: "It Blows My Mind" featuring Snoop Dogg and produced by The Neptunes
    -Clones Rating: 6.5/10

40.Fabolous - Street Dreams
    -Def Jam
    -20 Tracks
    -Production By: RickRock, Trackmasters, Just Blaze, Duro, Timbaland, Precision, Omen, and Kanye West
    -Guest Appearances By: Mike Shorey, Lil Mo, Paul Cain, Snoop Dogg, Missy Elliott, Ashanti, Mary J. Blige, Jadakiss, Styles P., MOP, P Diddy, and Jagged Edge
    -Singles: "This Is My Party", "Can't Let U Go", "So Into You", and "Trade It All Pt. 2"
    -Standout Tracks: "Keepin It Gangsta Remix", "Respect", and "Call Me"
    -Best Song: "Keepin it Gangsta Remix" featuring Jadakiss, Styles P., and MOP
    -Production: 5.5
    -Street Dreams Rating: 6.5/10

41.Murphy Lee - Murphy's Law
    -Derrty Ent.
    -19 Tracks
    -Production By: Mannie Fresh, Jazze Pha, Lil Jon, Jay-E, Jermaine Dupri, and Wally Yagham
    -Guest Appearances By: City Spud, Nelly, Jazze Pha, Sleepy Brown, Darius Bradford, St. Louis Slim, Roscoe, Cardan, Lil Jon, Lil Wayne, Jermaine Dupri, King Jacob, Prentice Church, Avery Storm, Seven, Zee, P Diddy, and Toya
    -Singles: "Shake Your Tailfeather", "What Da Hook Gon' Be", and "Luv Me Baby"
    -Standout Tracks: "Luv Me Baby", "This Goes Out", and "What Da Hook Gon' Be"
    -Best Song: "This Goes Out" featuring Lil Jon, Lil Wayne, Nelly, Roscoe, and Cardan and produced by Lil Jon
    -Lyrics: 6.5
    -Production: 6.5
    -Murphy's Law Rating: 6.5/10

42.Big Tymers - Big Money Heavyweights
    -Cash Money
    -20 Tracks
    -Production By: Mannie Fresh, R.Kelly, Jazze Pha, and Leslie Brathwaite
    -Guest Appearances By: R.Kelly, TQ, Petey Pablo, Joi, Juvenile, Gilly, Lil Wayne, Bun-B, Tateeze, Jazze Pha, Mikkey, and Ludacris
    -Singles: "This How We Do" and "Gangsta Girl"
    -Standout Tracks: "Down South", "My Life", and "Got Everything"
    -Best Song: "Down South" featuring Bun-B, Jazze Pha, Lil Wayne, and Ludacris and produced by Jazze Pha
    -Lyrics: 4.5
    -Big Money Heavyweights Rating: 6.5/10

43.Chingy - Jackpot
    -Disturbin Tha Peace
    -17 Tracks
    -Production By: Trackstarz and Da Quiksta
    -Guest Appearances By: Tity Boi, I-20, Murphy Lee, J Weav, Ludacris, Snoop Dogg, Trina, and Jermaine Dupri
    -Singles: "Right Thurr", "Right Thurr Remix", "Holidae Inn", and "One Call Away"
    -Standout Tracks: "One Call Away", "Holidae Inn", and "He's Herre"
    -Best Song: "One Call Away" featuring J Weav and produced by Trackstarz
    -Production: 6
    -Jackpot Rating: 6/10

44.Nelly - Da Derrty Versions: The Reinvention
    -Derrty Ent.
    -16 Tracks
    -Production By: Jay-E, Basement Beats, David Banner, Jermaine Dupri, City Spud, and Scott Storch
    -Guest Appearances By: E-40, City Spud, Murphy Lee, Ali, Chocolate Tai, King Jacob, Kelly Rowland, Brian McKnight, David Banner, 8Ball, Justin Timberlake, Clipse, Posta Boy, and Ron Isley
    -Singles: "Iz U"
    -Standout Tracks: "Ride Wit' Me", "#1", "E.I."
    -Best Song: "Ride Wit' Me Remix" featuring City Spud
    -Da Derrty Versions: The Reinvention Rating: 6.5/10

45.RZA - Birth of a Prince
    -Sanctuary
    -16 Tracks
    -Production By: RZA
    -Guest Appearances By: Masta Killa, Ghostface, ShaCronz, Freemurda, Allah Real, Beretta 9, and Civilringz
    -Singles: "We Pop"
    -Standout Tracks: "Grits", "Fast Cars", and "Chi-Kung
    -Best Song: "Grits" featuring Masta Killa and Allah Real and produced by RZA
    -Birth of a Prince Rating: 6/10

46.Da Band - Too Hot For TV
    -Bad Boy
    -18 Tracks
    -Production By: Tony Dofat, D.Dot, Wyclef Jean, Trackmasters, P Diddy, Harve Pierre, The Natural, and Craig Brockman
    -Guest Appearances By: Wyclef Jean, Farnsworth Bentley, The Madd Rapper, and Mysterious
    -Singles: "Bad Boy This Bad Boy That" and "Tonight"
    -Standout Tracks: "Why", "I Like Your Style" and "Do You Know"
    -Best Song: "Why"
    -Too Hot For TV Rating: 6/10

47.Bow Wow - Unleashed
    -Sony Records
    -14 Tracks
    -Production By: Jazze Pha, Lil Jon, The Neptunes, Swizz Beatz, Bink
    -Guest Appearances By: Baby, Jagged Edge, Mario, and Amerie
    -Singles: "Let's Get Down", and "My Baby"
    -Standout Tracks: "Hey Little Momma", "Eighteen", "The Don, The Dutch"
    -Best Song: "Eighteen" produced by Lil Jon
    -Individual Song Score: 6.5
    -Unleashed Rating: 5.5/10

48.Missy Elliott - This Is Not A Test
    -Beat Club
    -16 Tracks
    -Production By: Timbaland and Missy Elliott
    -Guest Appearances By: Mary J. Blige, Jay-Z, Elephant Man, Fabolous, R.Kelly, Beenie Man, Nelly, The Clark Sisters, and Monica
    -Singles: "Pass That Dutch"
    -Standout Tracks: "The Wake Up", "Pump It Up", and "Keep it Moving"
    -Best Song: "The Wake Up" featuring Jay-Z and produced by Timbaland
    -Lyrics: 3.5
    -This Is Not A Test Rating: 5.5/10

49.Cappadonna - The Struggle
    -Code Red Entertainment
    -21 Tracks
    -Production By: RZA
    -Guest Appearances By: Solomon Childs, Lounge Mode, Inspectah Deck, Remedy, Crunch Lo, Raekwon, Wigs, Pike, and King Just
    -No Singles
    -Standout Tracks: "Mamma", "Get Away From The Door", and "Killa Killa Hill"
    -Best Song: "Mamma"
    -Production: 5.5
    -The Struggle Rating: 5.5/10

Notable R&B Releases:

112 - Hot and Wet
    -Def Soul
    -17 Tracks
    -Production By: Stevie J., Daron Jones, Saint Denson, P. Diddy, and The Hitmen
    -Guest Appearances By: T.I., Ludacris, Chingy, Super Cat
    -Singles: "Na Na Na" and "Hot and Wert"

Ginuwine - The Senior
    -Epic
    -16 Tracks
    -Production By: Troy Oliver, Juke Vines, CASINO Joe, Troy Taylor, R.Kelly, and Scott Storch
    -Guest Appearances By: Mike Tyson, Snoop Dogg, The Rock, Baby, Sole, Jose Cenquentez, Method Man, Clipse, R.Kelly
    -Singles: "Hell Yeah", "Hell Yeah Remix", "Stingy", and "In Those Jeans"

Jagged Edge - Hard
    -So So Def
    -15 Tracks
    -Production By: Jermaine Dupri, TK, Jagged Edge, Jazze Pha, and Bryan M. Cox
    -Guest Appearances By: Major Damage, Jermaine Dupri, Big Boi, Street Katz, Woonie, and Jazze Pha
    -Singles: "Walked Outta Heaven"

Musiq - Soulstar
    -Def Soul
    -15 Tracks
    -Production By: Musiq, Ivan Barias, Carvin Haggins, Junius Bervine, and Victor Duplaix
    -Guest Appearances By: DJ Aktive, Carol Riddick, Aaries, Kindred the Family Soul, Cee-Lo, and Bilal
    -Singles: "Forthenight"

Anthony Hamilton - Comin From Where I'm From
    -So So Def
    -12 Tracks
    -Production By: James Poyser, Mark Batson, Cedric Solomon, Anthony Hamilton, and Junius Bervine
    -Guest Appearance By: LaToiya Williams
    -Singles: "Comin From Where I'm From"
  • mantis%s's Photo
    Hey, Iris liked Happy Valentines Day too! Cool :D

I only know about 5 of the albums on there, so I didn't read all of it. Nice to see Missy making an appearance though ;)
  • Ride6%s's Photo
    *saving it*

I personally think Audioslave, 3 Doors Down, Foo Fighters and Stained released the big albums in rock this last year.

Stained in particular has one hell of an album in 14 Shades of Grey, which i must go buy now!

ride6
  • sloB%s's Photo
    Honestly, I didn't read all of it, but they're are some good albums up there, including your #1.

The Black Album is one of the best albums of the year, and I'm not a huge rap fan. Every song on that album is amazing. Jay once again shows that he can make the best rhymes with his unique flow. I loved it. My favorite song is definitley "Lucifer." Its got an amazing beat and that refrain is infectious.

One album I saw low in the countdown was Fabolous, Stree Dreams. I don't know the album extremely well but "So into you" is one of my favorite popular singles of the year. Fabolous' has a strangley laxidasical voice but the flow is perfect; Great song.

Thats all I know though, so don't listen to me.
  • ECC%s's Photo
    Tupac, Outkast and Bubba Sparxxx. Alright. 8-)

Bow Wow? What the hell is that about?
  • deanosrs%s's Photo
    My favs this year were the darkness, starsailor, paloalto, longview, the thrills, coldplay live, electric soft parade, best of rhcp. Don't know anything about rap... never really been my thing I guess.
  • sloB%s's Photo
    Let's not turn this into a "my favorite albums of the year thread." This is Iris' favorite albums, so comment on that or don't comment at all :p
  • rK_%s's Photo
    you put jay-z as #1, thats sad, i think your list needs a serious revision
  • Rage%s's Photo

you put jay-z as #1, thats sad, i think your list needs a serious revision

You should respect other people's choices and tastes. All but one of the albums mentions wouldnt come anywhere near my list but that doesnt mena Iris has a bad taste in music. It just means my taste in music differs to Iris'.
  • yyo%s's Photo
    I don't usually like rap but I love Speakerboxxx/The Love Below

Great choice
  • Jellybones%s's Photo

*saving it*

I personally think Audioslave, 3 Doors Down, Foo Fighters and Stained released the big albums in rock this last year.

Stained in particular has one hell of an album in 14 Shades of Grey, which i must go buy now!

ride6

Please.

Anyway, Jay-Z is an excellent choice if you ask me (which you didn't). Though, $10 says he comes back in two years' time.
  • natelox%s's Photo
    I'm very impressed (and happy) that you compiled such a list. To begin, 2003 was a very, very poor year for hip hop. The only real bright spot was the Black Album. Probably the best album you could have placed on that list for 2003. The album was hot and had some great songs. A few let down tracks however. I really don't think Little Brother deserved such a high placing. Their music is very good, but sounds way too much like common, both in lyrics and in beats and in voice. Very little originality on their part. Louis Logic's "Sin-O-Matic" was alright, but nothing that stood out to me as such a great album. "Revenge" was the best track on that disc, I loved it's originality. Obie Trice, oh god. Why so high? All his music relys on beats (which IMO aren't that good, but others find them hot) and hooks. Not to mention the very poor lyrics and the very annoying constant repetion of "real name no gimmicks". I'll get to 50 in a minute, cause I could write pages about him. I must inquire as to how you gave some ratings that are as high as they are. Ludacris, Juelz Santana, Juvenile, Westside Connection, Ja Rule and Nelly to name a few, got incredibly high lyrical ratings. Did you check out that post I made in the Polls section in the "rap vs. Alternative" topic? If you think they have good lyrics, Kamau's are probably off your scale.

As for Mr. Jackson. Where to start? First off, he is just as much a "Studio Thug" or fake thug or wankster as Ja Rule. His lryics are horrible and contain nothing new. Death, pimps, girls, sex, drugs are just boring to listen to now. I also am tired of hearing that he's a thug and how he got shot nine times. It's all been done before and its dumb and boring. The only that that Get Rich Or Die Trying has are beats (created by Dr Dre, one of the best producers of all time). Even at that, some of them are dangerously annoying, so much so I wouldn't even buy the instrumental version of the disc. And don't get me started on "Beg For Mercy". I haven't even bothered to download any songs off of it because a.) Stunt 101 is garbage, annoying and utter trash and b.) Why would this disc be any different from anything else 50's done. Yayo and Banks probably act the same (lyrically) as 50. Watch for my "Dear Jackson" letter I'll be writing over the next month or so.

Anyways, it was a good list. IMO, you had little to work with because there just wasn't much quality this year. 2004 sounds like it should be promising. K-Os has a new album on the way, Nas is rumored to be dropping three. Right there we have more good albums than we did last year.
  • vTd%s's Photo
    Good choice with Jay-Z as #1... Personally, I would have gone OutKast 1, Jay 2. That's just me.
  • Kumba%s's Photo
    on Tupac Shakur Resurrection i thought Afeni Shakur (his mom) prodouced the CD? i liked "Holler if ya' hear me" best, then "Runnin'"

I have not listened to "the black alubm" yet, mainly coz, IMO that "Change Clothes and Go" song sucked, and the modles in the video are ugly as fuck, but you seem to know your stuff. i mite give the rest a try. and no-way hes staying out, he'll be back, just like his dog MJ.

its amazeing how you do these lists, and if you ever do the hot chick one you better add pics ;)
  • JBruckner%s's Photo
    [FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]To all the people bitching about thier favorites: shut the fuck up. I'm not into rap but I respect the amount of time that iris put into this review, and I think its amazing. None of you have the right to come in here and spam the fucking thread.
    Have a little respect, please.
  • Jellybones%s's Photo
    Well, a thread chock full of "Nice list, iris! I applaud you!" would be boring and useless.
  • Outlaw%s's Photo
    Definitely lots of work put into this, and like the others, iris, I applaud you. You know my thoughts on Outkast being so high, haha. And I checked out Immortal Technique the other day, and he blows Jay-Z out of the water. Easily the number one for me, and I gotta say thanks for giving me the inside on that album.
  • Pym Guy%s's Photo
    Nice list.
  • Jellybones%s's Photo

Although, rap isn't my favourite genre, but if it has a good beat, I'll take a listen.

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH

That's the attitude that allows mainstream rap to suck and still sell way too many records.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading