Music Forum / Iris' Top Albums of 2K3

• Pym Guy%s's Photo
    K. But, everyone has their own personal preferences.

Me, I like electronica and some rock.

Maybe I like rap because I like electronica, I mean, the beat.

Yea.
  • Jellybones%s's Photo
    Oh.
    Well, that makes sense.
    But I need some good lyrics (and especially good rap skills) to carry a rap for me. Which is why I would be overjoyed if Ja Rule got his ass run over right now.

Now everyone laugh at the two nerdy white boys arguing over rap music.
  • JBruckner%s's Photo
    [font="Arial"]What does "production" mean? I never really quite understood it.[/font]
  • iris%s's Photo
    Production = people who made the beats/music
  • JBruckner%s's Photo

Production = people who made the beats/music

[font="Arial"]Ah yes, now that I know. My brother and I are always having talk about this. It is really the producers that make the music if you ask me. Not the people that write the words. I listen to music for the beats and rythems, not the lyrics.
    Heh, that's why I like 50 Cents alblum "Get Rich or Die Tryin'" I am a rap newb.[/font]
  • mantis%s's Photo

While his album wasn't released in '03, but '04, Dizzee Rascal [from the UK, no doubt] definatly is a great rapper.

Check out his album, everyone.

It was 03 here - he won the Mercury Music Award too (generally a jinx, so it could be a mixed blessing).

Listen Here.

Good album, although not an easy listen by any stretch of the imagination. Fix Up Look Sharp and I Luv U are probably the most listener-friendly tracks, and that says something for the rest of the album.
  • guljam%s's Photo
    I love Anything music album
    Especially types 'HOUSE, TECHNO, BIG-BEAT'
  • Mysjivus%s's Photo
    Iris...your nuts man. Thats a lot of work. Shits on point though. Someone needs to send this list to some music magazine and get this kid a job. Everyone is going to argue the order of the albums but the thing that matters here most is whats said about them. You got a little biased when it came to you hommie kanye but you were (from my stand point) dead on about everything you said. So we either have a oddly similar taste in music or i dont know what but, for the most part, i couldnt agree more. I have caught meself saying a lot of what you said when i support my music of choice in discussions with other people. Good job on this shit, hold on to it for the personal pleasure cuz there are too many nay-sayers out there. Gotta love the haters. If we could only get people to stop watching so much MTV & BET and have them really sit and listen to these (and other) albums so they can get the real feel for them beyond their "commercial" tendancies. Not enough people realize the depth that these albums possess and its a damn shame.

Anyways...we should work on getting me a copy of some of these discs that i havnt had the pleasure of listening too. Maybe we could exchange money and burned cds via the good old post office. Anything, something...because Kazaa is a bust anymore and its not worth the work to get some of these cds.

Cudos my man...keep this shit coming cuz i need someone to keep me in touch with all of these cds i miss since "the sauce" and XXL dont cover new releases like they used to. *rollseyes* :@
  • Raven-SDI%s's Photo
    Hello.

I will be doing a list like this, but for extreme and hardcore music.

It was going to be in my next article, but since this got such high praise i will leave it seperately.

PAoD
    §Æ§
  • JBruckner%s's Photo

Hello.

I will be doing a list like this, but for extreme and hardcore music.

It was going to be in my next article, but since this got such high praise i will leave it seperately.

PAoD
    §Æ§

[font="Arial"]If it ever gets finished. :yup: [/font]
  • guljam%s's Photo
    Fix Up Look Sharp

YEY!!
    I love background big-beat and drum..

and rap is amazing!! 2pac?kkkk
  • Blitz%s's Photo
    wait a tick,
    you actually had to make seperate categories for the people who produced the instrumentals, and the people who wrote the words?
  • Coaster Ed%s's Photo
    In a lot of rock music the lyrics are really throw away lines actually. The band writes the music and then the lead singer writes some jibberish to fit the melody and then they have to sing it over and over again as long as they stay a band. It seems to me that rappers, because of the nature of rap, put a lot more into their lyrics than your average rock band will. Besides, there's no rule that says it has to come from an instrument to be music. I love guitars too Blitz, but it pays to expand your horizons from time to time.
  • deanosrs%s's Photo
    Fix Up Look Sharp is shit.

However, being a jj72 fan, I can see where ed is coming from. A lot of rock lyrics are woffle... but then others are meaningfull as well, it really depends on why you listen to music. For me, it's to relax so I don't really want to hear about some rapper's problems when I'm chilling out, I'd rather have a strum along with chris martin and friends.
  • mantis%s's Photo
    JJ72's lyrics are ridiculous :D I actually prefer JJ72 to I To Sky...mainly because the songs are so funny, but also because it's slightly less twee :-/

I like Dizzee Rascal because his music is so weird that it makes you listen to try and work out what's going on - and he does things with the words and rhythm that makes it less like a rap and more like a song. Like in Lucky Star, theres a bit where he says some words over the bridge between two phrases and it sounds brilliant.

Coldplay and co are great to listen to when you're in the mood, but i'm not always in that mood. So I think it's good to have a wide mix of different things to suit whatever mood you're in - that's why I borrow CDs as often as possible, so I can have the widest mix I can. I'm up to a week's music now :D
  • Nitrous Oxide%s's Photo
    No offence to you Iris. But everything you posted makes me want to throw up.
  • natelox%s's Photo
    Instead of putting down all his hard work like that, why not give us a reason for disliking it? Then your post will have a purpose.
  • Skylor%s's Photo

39.The Neptunes - Neptunes Present...Clones
    -Star Trak
    -18 Tracks
    -Production By: The Neptunes
    -Guest Appearances By: Roscoe P. Coldchain, Busta Rhymes, Clipse, Ab-Liva, Ludacris, I-20, Jay-Z, Vanessa Marquez, Nelly, Boo Bonic, Snoop Dogg, Spymob, High Speed Scene, FamLay, Jadakiss, Supercat, Noreaga, Dirt McGirt, Nas, and Kelis
    -Singles: "Light Your Ass On Fire", "Frontin'", "Hot Damn" and "Rock and Roll"
    -Standout Tracks: "Blaze of Glory", "Hot", and "It Blows My Mind"
    -Best Song: "It Blows My Mind" featuring Snoop Dogg and produced by The Neptunes
    -Lyrics: 6
    -Production: 7.5
    -Individual Song Score: 6
    -Clones Rating: 6.5/10

Kelis's Milkshake song was on this album.
  • iris%s's Photo
    Actually it wasn't...it was on Kelis' album, the Neptunes just produced it tho.

Clones Tracklisting:
    1.Intro
    2.Light Your Ass On Fire
    3.Blaze of Glory
    4.It Wasn't Us
    5.Frontin
    6.Good Girl
    7.If
    8.Hot
    9.It Blows My Mind
    10.Half Steering
    11.Fuck N' Spend
    12.Loser
    13.Rock N' Roll
    14.Don of Dons
    15.Hot Damn
    16.Put Em Up
    17.Pop Shit
    18.Popular Thug
  • Skylor%s's Photo

Actually it wasn't...it was on Kelis' album, the Neptunes just produced it tho.

Clones Tracklisting:
    1.Intro
    2.Light Your Ass On Fire
    3.Blaze of Glory
    4.It Wasn't Us
    5.Frontin
    6.Good Girl
    7.If
    8.Hot
    9.It Blows My Mind
    10.Half Steering
    11.Fuck N' Spend