Music Forum / Playing on you're instrument

• Turtleman%s's Photo
    I play piano.
  • cg?%s's Photo

Try telling Craig Nicholls, Dave Grohl, Jack White, or any other big name in rock that one day they won't be playing guitar but will be sitting at the front of the stage with a computer.

why not? there are numerous "electronic" artists who throw massive concerts, and people do "go mental". the instrument has no impact on the quality of a live performance, only the performer does. a great performer can perform with any-thing, and make it highly entertaining for all involved! and the same goes for recordings.
  • Blitz%s's Photo
    cg...
    no matter what kind of technology-inspired stars you have in your eyes, instruments will never die. What you are babbling about is the outcry of ever under-talented composer of today.

For example...
    A singer who writes a piece will write beautiful vocals, but write a piece that might not be even possible in the form it was written (like the number and spread of the keys being hit does not match up to what humans are capable of).

and then, a piano player will write a moving ballad, but the vocals will be rank will indescretions, like a section that is too long for the persons lungs to hold out because he didn't know how to create the music to include a natural pause at which the singer would breathe.

Plus, some instruments are just too complex for you to include their unique sound unless you've played them for years and years (which is why composers always have a guest guitarist or saxaphonist, etc).

I assure you, the best composers can play atleast one instrument skillfully, and do so on a regular basis. You simply CAN'T seperate yourself from the actual craft by hiding behind your monitor, cg.
  • Jellybones%s's Photo
    Or you can be creative like Radiohead...instead of using computers, use a fucking bank of synths from all eras! Fuckin brilliant, that Jonny Greenwood.
  • Blitz%s's Photo
    and would you believe it? johnny plays a fine guitar.
  • cg?%s's Photo
    [font="optima"]

I assure you, the best composers can play atleast one instrument skillfully, and do so on a regular basis. You simply CAN'T seperate yourself from the actual craft by hiding behind your monitor, cg.

and i never said you could. rather, i said the craft will move to behind the monitor. and it will.

instruments will never die, because a computer is an instrument! and it is the instrument of this new century, the instrument which will replace all that we know of today, eventually. this process is already quite far along, and it is inevitable (although it won't nessecarily happen during our life-time).

have you even bothered to try, and create music using a computer? it's doubtful...[/font]
  • Adix%s's Photo
    Zimbabwe, my Clarinet...
    Rex, the Saxophone I half-adopted.

Alex, my Bass... and then I'll probably get me a Guitar as a graduation present.
  • Rage%s's Photo
    I kinda suck at Bass but It's fun to just throw the strap over my head and play.
  • Blitz%s's Photo
    i used FL a couple times.

And like I said, some instruments are too complicated and in need of hands on experience to ever have their sound clone by a computer.
    just how do you think you can nail every last facet of the organic sound that comes from an instrument like the guitar? Even if a program could, it would take longer to learn to use all the tools in the program than it would to just pick up the guitar and take a few pointers. The guitar is a signature instrument, a thumbprint of it's user, so unless you can include every last nuance of it handling, I fear it would lose its uniqueness of expression. There is just too much to emulate for a program to be efficient, and too much that it can't go without without losing the uniqueness of the instrument...

...oh, what instrument do YOU play? aside from your "computer"...?
  • sfgadv02%s's Photo

I play piano.

Same here.
  • Panoramical%s's Photo
    I play cello, guitar, and bassoon. I can tap along with Bass Guitar and Piano, but i don't really play theme. I'm in a band (singer+guitar), and we actually recorded a song, I might post it soon!
  • yyo%s's Photo
    I play electric guitar, I preatty much suck but it's fun to just play sometimes like rage said.
  • thorpedo%s's Photo
    I've played piano for about....7 years. I'm guess I could say I'm really good, I play at benefits and junk for LARGE sums of money. Its useful.

I CAN play the drums, although I'm not very good..my dad has a drumset, so I play around with that every once in a while. I can also play acoustic guitar, I just like to play that when I'm bored and/or when I'm any other emotion besides near happy.
  • cg?%s's Photo
    Blitz, of course i play instruments other than the computer. actually, you have to at least know how to use a key-board based instrument (piano, organ, synthesizer, etc) to imput the nessecary information into the computer!

also, the free program that comes with every Macintosh, can do an amazing replication of the guitar, complete with "nuance", and it's just as simple as adjusting your key-board style to better reflect the sound of a guitar-player, playing.

i would be very happy to send you some evidence of this, if you'd like...
  • cBass%s's Photo
    After 12 years of classical piano lessons I know my way around the ebony and ivory enough to get by.

I play electronic keyboard instruments, mostly. I live to play. If I go more than a week without playing I go crazy.

I'm also a percussionist. The congas are my favorite, but I also enjoy playing a standard kit.

Playing music is my most favorite thing to do.

http://dallasorbiter.com
  • Super_Shadow%s's Photo
    i played the trumpet, i am learning the guitar, going to learn bass and piano. i wanna learn Beatles, Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, Metalica, Paul McCartny, Nirvana, Green Day and stuff like that
  • penguinBOB%s's Photo

Blitz, of course i play instruments other than the computer. actually, you have to at least know how to use a key-board based instrument (piano, organ, synthesizer, etc) to imput the nessecary information into the computer!

also, the free program that comes with every Macintosh, can do an amazing replication of the guitar, complete with "nuance", and it's just as simple as adjusting your key-board style to better reflect the sound of a guitar-player, playing.

i would be very happy to send you some evidence of this, if you'd like...

imput doesn't mean play. or the sense of play us musicians often think of.

it sounds more like work, this play you describe of. mindless self-expression through digital programs limiting you to only what the set of program lines can handle. you can't improvise on computers, you can't be impromtu, express your personality, etc. they're machines! get it through you head that acoustic instruments will always have superior sound, more things to do with them (you cant play a solo on hi-hats complete with ranges from tight "chicks" to open "wahs", stand clicks to bell dings and every thing inbetween on the computer), and a more entertained crowd when the act is done.
  • Ride6%s's Photo
    The day when the computer replaces real instruments will be the day the true spirt of music truely dies. I currently can't play any instruments but I plan on getting myself a Bass or prehapse an Electric guitar before summer. That way I'll have lots of free time to practice. :D

For those of you who play anything that you're using in a manner that could be considered rock then I salute you.

ride6
  • Critic%s's Photo
    I am learning piano and cello and used to play the clarinet.
  • Drew%s's Photo
    I used to play the cello. Four long years of agonizing pain. Now, I'm learning the guitar. Next, the drums.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading