Theme Park Discussion / Top 10 Coaster Ridden

• Highball%s's Photo
    What are your top 10 favorite coasters you have ridden? Mine are:

1) The Incredible Hulk Coaster--> The launch alone makes this ride my favorite. It gets a little slow towards the end, but it is still my #1.

2) Kraken--> The most underrated coaster IMO. Great inversions, a good length, and the underground parts are incredible. This is almost my number 1, but no launch. :p

3) Montu--> Wow. That sums up Montu. From the first breathtaking drop to the last inversion, this coaster IS the god of inverts. Gotta love it.

4) Dueling Dragons--> Fire is the better one. I love the airtime you get on one of the first near misses, a rarity on inverts. Ice is better on inversions, though.

5) Superman: Ultimate Flight--> Although the ride is short, the sensation of flying and the pretzel loop alone make this ride awesome. The seats are comfortable and that definately adds to the experience.

6) Kumba--> What can I say? After all these years and countless copies, Kumba still reigns as the best original sit-down (cept Hulk). I love the inversion over the lift hill. Priceless.

7) The Georgia Scorcher--> Short and sweet sums this coaster up. A stand-up in a tight place, TGS takes full advantage of its compactness to deliver a great experience. Did I mention it's short?

8) Batman: The Ride-- Compact, just like the Scorcher, BTR delivers incredible G's in an ok themed area. The first invert I ever went on still stays with me after all these years.

I only did 8 b/c I only like B&M's really. Don't know why, just do. I'll have 9 by next year when Busch Gardens Tampa opens their new B&M vertical drop coaster. :p
  • gir%s's Photo
    ^ That's pretty ridiculous just to like B&Ms. What a narrow opinion..

1. Zonga @ Six Flags Marine World
    The first time I rode Zonga, it quickly jumped to my number one position. It's honestly one of the few coasters that I've ridden where I've come off and said, "wow." Some people complain that it's rough, but all my rides were smooth. Schwarzkopf is a genius, and I'm not exaggerating. The forces in the loops are so incredible - unparalleled. I do admit though, near the end the ride lets up. However, the good in the ride out-shines the bad, by far.

2. Déjà Vu @ Six Flags Magic Mountain, etc.
    Probably the only other coaster that I've ridden that I said, "wow" when I came off. There is nothing like the vertical drop at the beginning. I love how your whole body pushes up against the restraint and you think, "Oh God, why am I doing this?" Then it releases and you just go crazy.

3. Ghostrider @ Knott's Berry Farm
    Awesome, just awesome. This is my favorite wooden roller coaster. It goes high for a wooden coaster - as I was going up I was wondering if we were ever going to get there. :p I was sitting in the back, so all of a sudden the train speeds up and you're whipped over the drop, which is pulling you out of your seat. The rest of the ride is just insane, diving in and out of the massive wooden structure, grabbing airtime and intense laterals.

4. Kraken @ Sea World Orlando
    My favorite of the floorless coasters I've been on (Kraken, Scream!, and Medusa west). The layout is just so much enjoyable...and also the fact that it isn't run by Six Flags. ;) I like how it is spread out, unlike the Medusas (including Scream!).

5. Riddler's Revenge @ Six Flags Magic Mountain
    Riddler has such an awesome layout, a long layout. I don't know what to say about this, except that it was a great ride. It was smooth, but intense...I really don't know. I guess it's something you'd have to experience for yourself.

6. Dueling Dragons - Fire @ Islands of Adventure
    Easily the best ride at IOA. It isn't boring like Hulk and Ice are. My favorite part of the ride is the first duel. I love the airtime you get out of going over that hill. It doesn't matter if it was dueling either - it would be an awesome experience on an invert anyway.

7. Viper @ Six Flags Magic Mountain
    I think I have a soft spot for Arrows. You can complain all you want about how rough the are, but it doesn't matter and I don't care. Before I rode Viper I just dismissed Arrows as being rough and boring. Okay, well Viper isn't very intense...but it sure is a lot of fun.

8. Thunder Road - Backwards @ Paramount's Carowinds
    God, what an amazing but classic ride experience. My favorite thing to do is sit in the front (what would be the front if it were facing forwards). You just get such an amazing rush being hauled over the first drop - lots of negative gs. :) That adds to the rest of the ride experience, because you're immediately having a great time.

9. Top Gun: The Jet Coaster @ Paramount's Carowinds
    I tend to think down on Top Gun, but I really shouldn't. It's a fantastic custom B&M invert - nothing wrong with it except for the fact that it's so short (well, at least not compared to Batman: the Ride clones) The best thing about this one is the B&M batwing, which goes under the path.

10. X @ Six Flags Magic Mountain
    Why so low? Well, to tell you the truth, X is nothing special. I mean, the whole ride was fun...but just like any other. The most exciting part was the vertical drop, which I think might've been more fun going face first like Déjà, because you are actually looking at the ground. It's a different experience, sure, but way overrated.

There you have it. Some were hard decisions, because my coaster count is 65 or so. I still haven't broken 100! :lol:
  • Highball%s's Photo
    I'm a narrow person.
  • deanosrs%s's Photo
    1. nemesis
    2. nemesis inferno
    3. air
    4. oblivion
    5. tizona
    6. colossus (@terra mitica)
    7. colossus (@tp)
    8. vampire (@cwoa)
    9. some crappy mine train @ fort fun in eastbourne
    10. the looper on brighton pier

Yeh. I really haven't ridden that many coasters (the only one not on the list is corkscrew @AT and that fucked my knee), you know if you haven't visited america or japan or wherever that has loads of coasters... your list is going to suck...
  • CaptnPineapple%s's Photo
    I haven't ridden very many bigger coasters, since I've barely stepped foot in parks that aren't Disney.. but here they are:

1. California Screamin' at Disney's California Adventure

2. Space Mountain at Disneyland Park

3. The Demon at Paramount's Great America

4. Top Gun at Paramount's Great America

5. Mulholland Madness at Disney's California Adventure

6. The Vortex at Paramount's Great America

7. Psycho Mouse at Paramount's Great America

8. Matterhorn Bobsleds at Disneyland Park

9. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad at Disneyland Park

10. Greased Lightnin' (aka Tidal Wave) at Paramount's Great America

As sad as it sounds... thats like 10 of 12 coasters i've been on... Lol.
  • Kumba%s's Photo
    1 - Mantis @ CP - Only stand-up I have ever been on but it was awsome.

2 - Iron Dragon @ CP - I just really enjoyed it for some reason, and not a long line.

3 - Kumba @ BGT - No shit this is my fav. all time coaster, I mean it was the first of its kind, a kind that is now #1, yet the ride for me was just not as smooth as i hoped.

4 - The Daina Beach Hurricane @ Boomers - It looks small but really brings it everytime with an amazingly smooth layout for a woodie.

5 - Hulk @ IOA - Its just insane, really cool, and it lasts.

6 - The Coney Island Cyclone @ Astroland - Old as fuck, but its still puts on a show. Maybe the most famous coaster ever, I mean how many are landmarks?

7 - Rockin Rollercoaster @ Disneys MGM - A faster blast off then Hulk and an insane trip, it even has atmospher with the street signs and music, and its a fuckin dark ride!

8 - Magnum @ CP - Awsome ride if you like drops, nice scenery to with the overview of the waterpark.

9 - Ice Dragon @ IOA - Great Invert, I love the themeing, and of coruse the duel is great aswell.

10 - MF @ CP - One huge as motherfucker, It mite be higher on my list but I only went on it once, blacked out on the first drop, and got a paper cut from the on ride photo, but still what I do remember was intense and awsome.

and my leased fav ride ever had to be Mean Streak @ CP, this bitch lives up to its name. it beats the shit out of you. its like getting into a trash can and rolling down a hill.
  • Jacko Shanty%s's Photo
    1. Millennium Force - You feel like a different person after getting off of it.
    2. Top Thrill Dragster - That launch is crazy.. especially in front row.
    3. The Hulk - The launch is amazing.. when I first rode it I didn't expect it.
    4. Rockin' Rollercoaster - Another great launch, and that music is just great.
    5. Raptor - The layout is perfect.
    6. Backwards Thunder Road - In the back seat, this ride is incredible. I like the airtime.
    7. Montu - Fun ride.. I rode it like 6 times in a row.
    8. Wild Maus - I only rode it at BGW.. and it was very scary.
    9. Alpengeist - That first drop and loop are fun.
    10. Wicked Twister - I liked the launches, esp. in front seat.
  • chapelz%s's Photo
    1. Kraken @SWO
    2. Tez's Texas Twister@SFAW aka Zonga
    3. Hulk @IOA
    4. Superman Krypton Coaster @SFFT
    5. Dueling Dragons @IOA
    6. Superman The Escape @SFDL
    7. Titan @SFOT
    8. Texas Giant @SFOT
    9. Poltergist @SFFT
    10. Texas Cyclone @SFAW
  • Caddie Gone Mad%s's Photo
    1. THE BEAST!!!!!
  • Highball%s's Photo

1. Kraken @SWO

Thank you.
  • Meretrix%s's Photo
    10. Revolution @SFMM....BEFORE they destroyed it with the OTSR's.

9. Oblivion @ Alton Towers...one trick pony, but that trick scared the shit out of me none the less.

8. Top Gun @ PGA...very short but a kick ass little invert...final spiral over the water....spectacular!

7. Riddlers Revenge @SFMM...not intense at all, but a really graceful standup..how many coasters can you say that about?

6. Giant Dipper at Belmont Park in San Diego...wish it still had the Prior & Church trains, but this is one piece of nostalgia that really delivers.

5. Medusa @SFMW.....very smooth floorless..the last two inversions and the final helix are fairly intense.

4. Volcano The Blast Coaster @PKD- being launched vertically while inverted into that top hat is worth the 2 hour wait alone.

3. Roar @ SFMW - probably the BEST woodie I have ever ridden.

2. Goliath @SFMM - this ride is stellar. The "centrifuge" at the end is unparalleled.

and the number one coaster on this boy's list is......

1. Nemesis @ Alton Towers......the greatest inverted coaster anywhere....period.....if you haven't ridden it....then you don't know the meaning of the word insanity.....the helix after the first corkscrew could very well rip a person's legs off with it G-Forces.........not the tallest, not the fastest, but in my opinion...definately the best!
  • DragonInferno%s's Photo
    1) Georgia Cyclone at SFOG
    2) Mindbender at SFOG
    3) Dueling Dragons: Ice at IOA
    4) Alpengeist at BGW
    5) Superman: Ultimate Flight at SFOG
    6) Big Bad Wolf at BGW
    7) Kraken at SWO
    8) Incredible Hulk at IOA
    9) Dueling Dragons: Fire at IOA
    10)Rock N' Rollercoaster at Disney World Orlando
  • `sfkstyle%s's Photo
    I'm going to cedar point tomorrow(and the day after), I may make a list after that.
  • `sfkstyle%s's Photo
    Whoa, you took out the plus, chapel. I've used an underscore before... lolol.
  • cBass%s's Photo
    In alphabetical order...

American Eagle @ SFGAm
    Batman @ SFGAm
    Demon @ SFGAm
    High Roller @ Valley Fair
    Raging Bull @ SFGAm
    Ripsaw @ Camp Snoopy
    Superman @ SFGAm
    Viper @ SFGAm
    Whizzer @ SFGAm
    Wild Thing @ Valley Fair
  • Jellybones%s's Photo
    Gah, I think B&M's are really overrated. Nearly all of their looping coasters, regardless of whether they're inverted or floorless or what, follow the same general cookie cutter pattern. Not to mention their four-across layout means that if you're not sitting in the front row, you can't see anything but the beautiful back of the seat in front of you, and the whole ride you're being thrown around blindly and you just end up dizzy. Not so great. They have produced some gems, but for the most part, they're not that awesome. Okay here is my list.

01 Superman - Six Flags New England
    The only reason anyone should ever step foot in this disaster of a park. But it's worth the admission price by itself. Amazing ride. The helices and twists at the end of the ride are really what make it. It's too bad people keep falling out or the trains crash into each other and things like that.

02 Steel Force - Dorney Park
    Great on all accounts. Hypercoasters are my favorite type by far (as evidenced by this very list), and this delivers everything that makes hypers great. Fantastically high, smooth as glass, gigantic helix at the far turnaround, and the airtime is amazing, especially up front.

03 Magnum - Cedar Point
    Quite nearly the same as its younger cousin in Steel Force, but older and a bit of a rougher ride. It was, however, my first hypercoaster, and as such I can't dock it too many positions. Also delivers plenty of airtime, and the pretzel loop turnaround is a nice change.

04 Rock'n'Rollercoaster - Disney-MGM
    I know people give this coaster shit for not having the Disney standard of story and theming, etc., but I don't care. Aboard this thing is the most fun I've ever had on Disney property. And the loud Aerosmith music liven things up considerably.

05 Gwazi - Busch Gardens Tampa
    My favorite woodie. Though neither of the times I've ridden it's been in dueling mode, even standing by themselves these two tracks are great rides. Actually each was so twisted and had the perfect woodie roughness, I couldn't hold my hands up, I had to hold on.

06 Incredible Hulk Coaster - Islands of Adventure
    Often this ride and RnRC switch places, as they are very close in my mind. I'm not sure which launch I prefer, as the acceleration on Hulk seems faster, with the uphill and the sudden daylight break. Also, it made me see spots at the end, which almost never happens to me.

07 Wildcat - Hersheypark
    Wildcat was my favorite coaster in the world for a long time, when I rode it back in 1998. I was a wee lad and this was my first really big, twisted wooden coaster. I rode it once near closing time in thenight, and it was the most thrilling experience of my young coastering life.

08 Talon - Dorney Park
    About Hulk making me see stars, Talon was one of the few other rides that caused the same. Here that B&M blindness I was talking about doesn't really hurt it, but adds to the twisted confusion in a tiny parcel of land that is Talon. Great for an invert, which I usually don't like much.

09 Twister - Knoebels
    Most "coaster enthusiasts" talk about Phoenix being Knoebels' classic, which it rightfully deserves (it's probably my 11). But their newer woodie deserves some press as well. It's very reminiscent of some classic coasters of the past, one of the most unique rides I've ever been on.

10 Superman - Six Flags Darien Lake
    My list starts and ends with a Superman coaster. This one isn't nearly as good as its younger brother in Agawam, though. The helices and ground-level turns are refreshing change from most other early hypers, but this Superman just ends too quickly for its size.

Okay, there's my list. Sorry I don't worship B&Ms like everyone else.
  • Phatage%s's Photo

07 Wildcat - Hersheypark
    Wildcat was my favorite coaster in the world for a long time, when I rode it back in 1998.

Still is mine.
  • Butterfinger%s's Photo
    10- Grizzly @PKD
    9- Loch Ness Monster @BGW
    8- Anaconda @PKD
    7- Big Bad Wolf @BGW
    6- Hypersonic XLC @PKD
    5- Top Gun @PC
    4- Wildfire @SDC
    3- Volcano: The Blast Coaster @PKD
    2- Apollo's Chariot @BGW
    1- Alpengiest @BGW
  • Valp%s's Photo
    1) Texas Giant- Six Flags Over Texas
    This is one heckuva ride! Its wildness it outrageous- sure, some call it rough, but I love it. Great airtime throughout the course, a wicked post-mid-brake drop, and that thrilling "magic carpet" ending- a blast from beginning to end.

2) Titan- SFoT

3) Mr. Freeze- SFoT

4) Volcano: the Blast Coaster- Paramount's Kings Dominion

5) Wildfire- Silver Dollar City

6) Hypersonic: XLC- PKD

7) Superman: Krypton Coaster- Six Flags Fiesta Texas

8) Shockwave- SFoT

9) Grizzly- PKD

10) Batman: the Ride- SFoT
  • SFAW Fan%s's Photo
    Wood:
    1) Thunderhead at Dollywood