(Archive) Place-To-Release-Your-Parks Land / Carano Forest

• Roberto Roboparks%s's Photo
    It's very pale and bland at the moment. Try to spice things up with some more colors and variation.
  • yyo%s's Photo
    What's the point of this screen? The paths look like they go nowhere, and the architecture looks like it serves no purpose. No restraunts, no shops, no rides. Just a bunch of small 2x2 buildings grouped together.

and buildings aren't very interesting to look at.
  • laz0rz%s's Photo
    Based on recent experiences with you and just because of the lack of detail or quality in these screens, I have to say this kinda sorta not really almost sucks.
  • Panic%s's Photo
    The way I'd get out of this 2x2 series would be to start playing around with towers and remember that a building does not have to be a solid 2x2 framework to be a good or realistic building. Try experimenting with 2x1, 3x2, and 1x1 and see where it takes you. Some of the greatest-looking work in RCT history, if you dice it down, might look cluttered or disorganized, and yet in the long run this can even enhance the theme. Try to envision yourself in the middle of an Egyptian plaza and imagine what kind of facades and building forms you would like to see looking up and around you. For the sake of practice, as an exercise of sorts, try to remake that square so that there is no single 2x2 region in which all the heights of the rooves are the same. Just make the individual units of architecture smaller and more singular. I'd say ditch the Roman walls and possibly the gray rooftops in the second screen, as I don't remember an example of those ever getting anybody somewhere in an Egyptian theme. Perhaps I'm wrong though. Be careful with the white walls too.

The other thing you need to do is vary your building height. Basically all the major structures in those screens are either 3 or 4 levels high. Try making a couple 5 or 6 and see if it works. And don't let the balconies define how high the buildings are going to be. Buildings can have more levels above a balcony, or have multiple balconies, etc. Just start playing around with stuff like that.

In the second screen, that little colonnade in the center of the plaza might be a decent location for a flat ride or shops.
  • hobbes%s's Photo
    Thanks for the replies, everyone.

As I said, it is an early screen, and I still plan on working hard on the area.
    If anyone can help me place shops underground, that'd be great. I either don't remember how or never knew how. yeah...

I'm still working out the foilage, as I want it to be "lush", but I understand that you probably wouldn't find many Willow trees in Egypt. I just want there to be some green in the area, rather than just open air and sand.

As to the buildings, I have done some larger scale architecture in the other sections, so I just have yet to incorporate that into the Egyptian section. I usually start out with smaller buildings and then work my way up. That sounds a bit backwards since the large buildings should be the focus, but this way works for some reason.

Anyway, I'll have another update once I get the coaster in place in the Egyptian area, and have it themed.
  • cg?%s's Photo
    You don't know how to put shops underground? Oh my... I thought that was a basic skill of LL... actually, I don't even think it qualifies as a skill... it's a trainer-feature... "Bury attractions"... or something like that...

YOUR SCREENS ARE SHIT! Now go build something other than ugly bits of raised land, random pathways, trees, and water, okay? Like... I don't know... a Rollercoaster? As in Rollercoaster Tycoon? As in not Bits of raised land, pathways, trees, and water Tycoon!
  • hobbes%s's Photo
    Just look a the top of the last page...?
    Maybe you're just tired?

• cg?%s's Photo

Just look a the top of the last page...?
    Maybe you're just tired?

No... it's just that... you've shown about 1,000 (pointless) buildings... and 1 rollercoaster... what? Most people do it... but I think it's a load of bullshit...
  • hobbes%s's Photo
    Well technically there are two coasters in that screen. But I guess I see your point...
    Still, buildings make up like 80% of a park. Why not show them? I think a good, well designed building can be just as exciting as a screen of a rollercoaster.

Especially since coasters move, and a screen takes some of the "life" out of them. Buildings however, are completely stationary (although you can add details that move), and therefore make better pictures, imo. In other words, coasters are better enjoyed when you can actually view them in motion in the game, as compared to buildings which look generally the same in screens and in game.
  • Atlus%s's Photo
    It's looking great (the logo's nice as well btw!). the coaster design looks great, and everything fits together very well. I would be intersted to see the rest of this ride.
  • minnimee85%s's Photo
    Youre definitely improving a lot from when I last veiwed your work. Good to see you moving into LL, but it lacks the creativity I've seen in other parks that you have completed.
    As far as the technical elements of building, you are right on, but as others have said, what purpose do the buildings have? Most of the buildings just look the same.

And that coaster(or coasters), is/are well done.
  • hobbes%s's Photo
    Good to see you back around mm.
    Thanks for the comments.
  • hobbes%s's Photo
    Carano Forest - Update: December 8

Ravenswood
    The Ravenswood area of the park, which houses two of the park's four coasters, has been renamed Ironwood, in congruence with the recently confirmed Norse Mythology theme. Ironwood is the largest area in the park, and also features several major attractions:
    ...Hugin and Munin (previously "Odin" and "Thor"; a pair of dueling, wooden terrain coasters which carve their way across a steep mountain.
    ...Raido Wunjo; meaning "Journeying Peace", a smaller, family oriented coaster that weaves its way along the coast.
    The Ironwood area also includes three flatrides, plenty of food and drink, and plenty of medieval architecture.

The Lost Oasis
    The Lost Oasis, planned to by an Egyptian theme, has been disbanded. The area will now follow an Atlantis-like appearance, with vibrant green foilage, and detailed "trackiture". A possible name for this area is Svadilfari, which is derived from a stallion that constructed the walls of Asgard, the Norse realm of the gods. The area, however, is currently named "Lumarai", though this name will be replaced either by the above, or by another I find. This area features a large architectural centerpiece, and an inverted coaster which is yet to be constructed. There are also several flat rides, as well as a unique canoe ride. Food and drink are also available.

A revamped screen of this area:
    Posted Image

================
    Overall Progress: 65%
    ================

The park's name will be changed before its release, due to it now containing two different themes within the Norse theme. "Carano Forest" will remain the park's pseudo-name until its release. The name will then be used in one of my next parks, which may or may not be a continuation of the Norse theme.

Suggestions for name's relating to the Atlantis themed area are welcome, but I'm trying to keep names directly related to Norse mythology. Keep that in mind if you're going to suggest something.

==================

All comments are welcome. I am aware that this screen again shows no rides (though a path leading to a flatride is visible in the upper-left area of the screen), however I wanted show recent changes to the architecture and theme of the (formerly) Egyptian area. This is not an Atlantis theme, so please don't tell me it doesn't look as such. It is simply what I made while constructing, editing, and reviewing.

Thanks. :)
  • JBruckner%s's Photo
    What about that RCT2 thing you were doing!?
  • Dixi%s's Photo
    Wow thats a huge improvement. Still, not perfect but your moving forward. Suggestion; try to add more depth to your architecture, wider, longer, deeper, taller, are you trying to build 2x2 square blocks which look Egyptian-y, or are you trying to build a lost city temple? Think about it, it makes sense when your building. One thing I do like though are the incorporation of shrubery into the screen, it adds a sense of civilization. Im at work so havent read the topic fully but if the theme is 'lost egyptian city' then overgrown shrubbery climbinng the walls of the buildings would be a nice touch, maybe bits of rubble here and there, a ruined staue, something central to the area. And of course you need something for the viewers to focus on, such as a twister seamlessly poking out of a building with the queue line interweaving in and out of the same structure.

Anyway thats the end of my work-boredom induced rant, like I said, its a big improvement so keep it up. :mantis:
  • Nic%s's Photo
    I like it a lot actually. One thing I may say if so permitted is that Ravenswood seems very "low" - theres not much height. Now, it looks good on a small scale, but I don't know whether its possible to pull it off over a large area without it looking like a hovel.

Loving it on the scale it is at the moment however.

The coasters look nice, but I'd be intrested to know the pacing on them.

The Egyptian/Atlantis section seems to suffer the same problem too, very low 2x2ism. Shove some bigger, more extravagent buildings in there!

Keep it up, we need more LL parks!

Edited by Nic, 09 December 2005 - 06:25 AM.

• hobbes%s's Photo

What about that RCT2 thing you were doing!?

View Post

It is still being worked on. I like working on multiple projects. I have another rct2 park/design in the planning stages right now. :D

Wow thats a huge improvement. Still, not perfect but your moving forward. Suggestion; try to add more depth to your architecture, wider, longer, deeper, taller, are you trying to build 2x2 square blocks which look Egyptian-y, or are you trying to build a lost city temple? Think about it, it makes sense when your building. One thing I do like though are the incorporation of shrubery into the screen, it adds a sense of civilization. Im at work so havent read the topic fully but if the theme is 'lost egyptian city' then overgrown shrubbery climbinng the walls of the buildings would be a nice touch, maybe bits of rubble here and there, a ruined staue, something central to the area. And of course you need something for the viewers to focus on, such as a twister seamlessly poking out of a building with the queue line interweaving in and out of the same structure.

Anyway thats the end of my work-boredom induced rant, like I said, its a big improvement so keep it up. :mantis:

View Post

Thanks for the positive and constructive comment. There will be larger buildings as you move more towards the center of the area. I can't really define the theme of this, as it's more of "what I think works, works; what doesn't doesn't." Hence the naming difficulties... Read my above post for futher information as to what the theme is in my eyes.

I like it a lot actually. One thing I may say if so permitted is that Ravenswood seems very "low" - theres not much height. Now, it looks good on a small scale, but I don't know whether its possible to pull it off over a large area without it looking like a hovel.

Loving it on the scale it is at the moment however.

The coasters look nice, but I'd be intrested to know the pacing on them.

The Egyptian/Atlantis section seems to suffer the same problem too, very low 2x2ism. Shove some bigger, more extravagent buildings in there!

Keep it up, we need more LL parks!

View Post

Ironwood is relatively flat, though there is a large mountain the takes up a good chunk of the section. The pathed areas are "low", as you mentioned. But I don't think it's a problem... It works on the overall scale in my eyes, so I don't see any reason to change it.

The pacing on the coasters is, unfortunately, poor. Currently. They're more of racing coasters than duelers, but even then it is usually one train in the lead, then the other catching up. Individually the pace fine, but together, they're a bit off... I'm still tweaking it, and when the park is released, I hope to have it right about perfect.

Again, the larger buildings of the area is more in the center. The screen shows an area just outside the entrance to the this section, so it would look awkward if the buildings were already of an immense scale.

Thanks again to all! No school today (though a ton of homework still), so maybe I'll get some more done.
  • Nic%s's Photo
    Fuck homework and build build build!

:D

I guessed the pacing wasn't too good, looking from the height the trains were at and the drop they came from, but if they're racers it should be okay.

Also, looking forward to hearing the new name.
  • RMM%s's Photo
    I love it. It's always tough to make trees and all look good on sand and ya did it. I like it a lot.
  • JDP%s's Photo
    that looks good. glad to see LL is still being used. nice job

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading